PDA

View Full Version : College Requirement should be abolished

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Its stupid. If a player does not have the desire to go to college he shouldn't be forced to.

There was no problems with how it was before. We got guys like Kevin Garnett,Kobe Bryant,Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, LeBron James and more straight out of High School.

An NBA Career is short, and taking away valuable time from a player's career is unfair.

I was watching Andrew Wiggins last night and I thought to myself that the only people winning in this are the NCAA, Kansas State University, and whichever team drafts him next season.

He could of been drafted this year by the Cavaliers. Kyrie Irving, Andrew Wiggins, and Andrew Bynum would of been epic.

Even in Kyrie Irving's case, Kyrie only played like 2 games of College ball and is now one of the players with the brightest future.

Players have more than enough time and money to get their college education once their career is over.

Adam Silver, fix this. **** this NCAA and **** March Madness taking away TV time from NBA Games to watch scrubs playing in college. Oh yeah, and **** David Stern. All this ****ing asshole David Stern has been doing is taking valuable time off player's short careers for MONEY.

TheReal Kendall
10-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I actually think they should be required to stay longer

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Why?

CavaliersFTW
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Players aren't required to go to college you f*cking idiot.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Baseball rules. 2 years if you go to college, or straight to the NBA. It's up to the NBA scouts if you don't want to draft a bust.

But none of that will happen because the 1 and done rule is working exactly how the NBA wants it to work. It weeds out to overhyped and not mentally mature. Even if it's coming at a cost of the college game.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Europe or College.

I forgot you're such as fan of the Euroleague and want to see more players take the Brandon Jennings route.

:coleman:

Eric Cartman
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Those greedy NCAA bastards.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Football rules. 2 years if you go to college, or straight to the NBA. It's up to the NBA scouts if you don't want to draft a bust.

But none of that will happen because the 1 and done rule is working exactly how the NBA wants it to work. It weeds out to overhyped and not mentally mature. Even if it's coming at a cost of the college game.
Overhyped and not mentally mature? The number of players who were drafted straight out of college and succeeded outweighs by far the busts like Kwame Brown.

College makes players mentally mature huh?

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kzt7qmvj6a1qay78vo1_500.jpg

http://www.collegehoopsjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Boogie-phone-call.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UD4vRV5d8Y4/TVnJbJkNivI/AAAAAAAAACQ/xX1zv72q4TA/s1600/alg_basketball_ron-artest.jpg

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Football rules. 2 years if you go to college, or straight to the NBA. It's up to the NBA scouts if you don't want to draft a bust.

Oh and yeah, Let's send Tracy McGrady to college so we can see EVEN LESS of healthy T-Mac's career.

kNicKz
10-06-2013, 07:50 PM

/thread

JimmyMcAdocious
10-06-2013, 07:55 PM
Overhyped and not mentally mature? The number of players who were drafted straight out of college and succeeded outweighs by far the busts like Kwame Brown.

Okay? But by this way, the NBA gets to weed out those busts to an extent and still draft the superstar high school players. Their version is a better version of what you are suggesting.

The McGrady comment doesn't really relate or kind of make sense. Maybe he's healthier if he went to college because he got to prepare his body a little before the rigors of the pro game. Or maybe he dies. Same can be said if he goes straight from high school to the NBA. I don't really understand what you are getting at. Do you believe it was preordained that he would play x amount of games before his body gave up on him? I don't.

ProfessorMurder
10-06-2013, 07:56 PM
You should be allowed to go the NBA right out of high school at 18. I'd love to see colleges actually teach guys stuff and develop their games, but let's be honest, that would still rarely happen even if 3 years were mandatory. People just don't teach fundamentals anymore.

kennethgriffin
10-06-2013, 07:58 PM
the nba must have made some kind of under the table deal with the national collegiate athletics association

why else would the nba deny big name players from entering their league?

the biggest names over the last 15 years are mostly highschool players

they have the biggest buzz and get more attention due to skipping college

the ncaa obviously wrote a fat cheque to david stern to have the rights to players out of highschool

almost no one will go over seas rather than to college due to there being less chance of them getting noticed

there should be an investigation

TheReal Kendall
I think 2 to 3 years will help them mature and help their game/bball IQ

Meticode
I have no issue with players going to the NBA out of high school just as long as they are 18 years old and a full, legal adult.

I find it that requiring players to do what they're doing now really hurts college. This one and done stuff in college with these top high school recruits is something i dislike.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Okay? But by this way, the NBA gets to weed out those busts to an extent and still draft the superstar high school players. Their version is a better version of what you are suggesting.

The McGrady comment doesn't really relate or kind of make sense. Maybe he's healthier if he went to college because he got to prepare his body a little before the rigors of the pro game. Or maybe he dies. Same can be said if he goes straight from high school to the NBA. I don't really understand what you are getting at.
Tracy McGrady always had health issues. Making him do 2 years of College would of shortened his NBA career even more. And what for? To make sure hes not a ****ing bust?

Its the teams responsibilities to make sure the player they are drafting is legit. That is what they pay their scouts for.

Gtfo.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
the nba must have made some kind of under the table deal with the national collegiate athletics association

the ncaa obviously wrote a fat cheque to david stern to have the rights to players out of highschool

almost no one will go over seas rather than to college due to there being less chance of them getting noticed

Totally agree with this. David Stern is a money hungry prick.

TheReal Kendall
10-06-2013, 08:02 PM

I believe they do have some kind of deal going on.

Rose'sACL
10-06-2013, 08:03 PM
they can learn much quicker in the NBA. Yes, their rookie season stats wouldn't look as good as they would if they played in college and then played in the nba but they would learn much quicker.
I think the rule should be to either come out of high school or complete college.
1 year rule is probably just something nba and ncaa agreed to after NCAA paid a good sum to NBA.
Just think if a guy gets injured in college. he never got paid. Leave the decision to that kid and kid's parents. at least that way he can only have himself to blame later on if something bad happens instead of this stupid rule.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Its up to the players and their families to decide what is best for them. It is up to the teams and their scouts to decide if the player they are drafting is the real deal.

The NBA and the NCAA shouldn't get involved in these decisions. This draft class would of been epic.

Kyrie/Wiggins/Bynum Cavs and LeBron's Heat would of been a great rivalry. Now we have to wait another year to have Wiggins land on some trash ass team like the Bobcats.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Tracy McGrady always had health issues. Making him do 2 years of College would of shortened his NBA career even more. And what for? To make sure hes not a ****ing bust?

Its the teams responsibilities to make sure the player they are drafting is legit. That is what they pay their scouts for.

Gtfo.

Where's the 2 years coming from? My first post where I suggested he could leave for the NBA if he wants to?

You don't know if he would have the same injury plagued career if he went to college. Like I edited in my other post before you quoted, perhaps the college training program, limited practice minutes, etc, helps his body adjust for the long NBA season. You just don't know, unless you think McGrady was destined to have injury problems regardless of what he did before his first major injury. I'm more of a butterfly effect guy.

And the rule that you need to be one year removed from college doesn't even benefit the college game. Ask anyone who isn't a UK fan if the 1 and done rule is good for college. It waters down the each year, creates a larger revolving door, messes up the scholarship situations, and creates an even more corrupt AAU circuit. I'm rather sure the NBA benefits from the 1 and done rule far greater than the NCAA does. Personally, I hate the rule.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Where's the 2 years coming from? My first post where I suggested he could leave for the NBA if he wants to?

You don't know if he would have the same injury plagued career if he went to college. Like I edited in my other post before you quoted, perhaps the college training program, limited practice minutes, etc, helps his body adjust for the long NBA season. You just don't know, unless you think McGrady was destined to have injury problems regardless of what he did before his first major injury. I'm more of a butterfly effect guy.

And the rule that you need to be one year removed from college doesn't even benefit the college game. Ask anyone who isn't a UK fan if the 1 and done rule is good for college. It waters down the each year, creates a larger revolving door, messes up the scholarship situations, and creates an even more corrupt AAU circuit. I'm rather sure the NBA benefits from the 1 and done rule far greater than the NCAA does. Personally, I hate the rule.
So you're telling me a college training program would do better for Tracy McGrady than Orlando Magic's and Houston Rocket's?

You must not know this guy's story.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/sam_bowie3.jpg

JimmyMcAdocious
10-06-2013, 08:11 PM
So you're telling me a college training program would do better for Tracy McGrady than Orlando Magic's and Houston Rocket's?

You must not know this guy's story.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/sam_bowie3.jpg

No, what I'm saying is that your example for not having the rule doesn't apply because it's all guess work. Going to college might help his career injuries or might not. I fail to see proof either way.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 08:15 PM
No, what I'm saying is that your example for not having the rule doesn't apply because it's all guess work. Going to college might help his career injuries or might not. I fail to see proof either way.
Just re-read your first post. I apologize, i was reading too many posts at once and got confused.

I got yours confused with the one before that so sorry.:facepalm

CavaliersFTW
10-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Does the prostitute that is actually paying her way through medical school that may eventually lend her to cure cancer justify the existence of prostitution? No, 99% of prostitutes are still going to use that money to buy crack and meth. Exceptions to the rule are just that, exceptions. Stop pointing out exceptions to the rule about HS and College talents as if they change reality.

The reality is 1 year out of HS is still if anything NOT ENOUGH time for most people/players to mature. How f*cking sure of themselves can ANYONE be about big decisions and high-value contracts at age 19!? NBA players used to be 22 and 23 years old as ROOKIES and they'd sit on the bench for 2 or 3 seasons making no more money than a grocery store worker proving themselves on limited minutes and practice before they played. Today, KIDS are drafted on 'potential' and given millions. This causes the league to be much younger, and I don't mean physically -with serious work ethic issues, and all sorts of different problems that go on behind the scenes. I think if anything, there should be a bare minimum of 2 years out of HS before NBA players can play.

Watch and learn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGap6VMxk8I

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Does the prostitute that is actually paying her way through medical school that may eventually lend her to cure cancer justify the existence of prostitution? No, 99% of prostitutes are still going to use that money to buy crack and meth. Exceptions to the rule are just that, exceptions. Stop pointing out exceptions to the rule about HS and College talents as if they change reality.

The reality is 1 year out of HS is still if anything NOT ENOUGH time for most people/players to mature. How f*cking sure of themselves can ANYONE be about big decisions and high-value contracts at age 19!? NBA players used to be 22 and 23 years old as ROOKIES and they'd sit on the bench for 2 or 3 seasons making no more money than a grocery store worker proving themselves on limited minutes and practice before they played. Today, KIDS are drafted on 'potential' and given millions. This causes the league to be much younger, and I don't mean physically -with serious work ethic issues, and all sorts of different problems that go on behind the scenes. I think if anything, there should be a bare minimum of 2 years out of HS before NBA players can play.

Watch and learn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGap6VMxk8I
Comparing prostitution to coming straight out of highschool to make millions playing basketball. :facepalm

**** off my thread.

blood yes
10-06-2013, 08:38 PM
I dont want to be rude, but you CLEARLY do not know anything of this topic.

Of course, there will always be that HS star like LeBron or Kobe, that are just flat out of this world good. But college is necessary, because of all the failures!!

You claim that there wernt that many failures, but ur wrong. JUST BECAUSE IT DIDNT MAKE THE NEWS, OR BECAUSE THEY WERNT POPULAR,, DONT MEAN SHIT

Are you forgetting...(or, you know shit bout bball, and u dont know these guys)

Darius Miles, Kwame Brown, Korleone Young, Bender, Leon Smith, Ndudi Ebi, JAmes Lang, Lenny Cooke.

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 08:47 PM
I dont want to be rude, but you CLEARLY do not know anything of this topic.

Of course, there will always be that HS star like LeBron or Kobe, that are just flat out of this world good. But college is necessary, because of all the failures!!

You claim that there wernt that many failures, but ur wrong. JUST BECAUSE IT DIDNT MAKE THE NEWS, OR BECAUSE THEY WERNT POPULAR,, DONT MEAN SHIT

Are you forgetting...(or, you know shit bout bball, and u dont know these guys)

Darius Miles, Kwame Brown, Korleone Young, Bender, Leon Smith, Ndudi Ebi, JAmes Lang, Lenny Cooke.
Its their choice to go to College or go to the NBA. Lenny Cooke brung that shit upon himself and he knows it.

Kwame and Miles were flat out scrubs anyways.

Those guys that failed rode the hype but didn't believe their own hype. They knew they sucked but they also had the opportunity to make millions without proving anything so they took it.

Once again, its the teams job to make sure whoever they are drafting is legit. Its what scouts are paid for.

Don't come to me with these SOB stories about Kwame Brown and Darius Miles because ultimately it was the team's choice to draft them and it was their choice to enter the draft KNOWING they weren't ready.

You're the one that knows nothing on this topic.

Eric Cartman
10-06-2013, 08:49 PM
LosBulls speaking nothing but the truth :applause:

CavaliersFTW
10-06-2013, 08:51 PM
LosBulls speaking nothing but the truth :applause:
alt alert

LosBulls
10-06-2013, 08:52 PM
alt alert
I'm too honest to keep up a green rep bitch.

gts
10-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Me too.. 2 at the minimum three years would be better

Is He Ill
10-06-2013, 09:26 PM
I agree, playing basketball has nothing to do with academics. If a player chooses to do both, great for them, but don't force these athletes to go to school for one year. Leave the decision to the athlete. The existence of busts coming out of high school doesn't justify it. It would be nice if everybody was cut out for college, but that's not realistic. Those players won't take academics seriously anyway.

HomieWeMajor
10-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I agree
I'de like to see some 15 year olds in the NBA

Xiao Yao You
10-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I agree
I'de like to see some 15 year olds in the NBA

I'm all for it as long as there is a minor league system in place. The league has been watered down with young guys that aren't ready taking roster spots from experienced vets.

CelticBaller
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
if an 18 year old man wants to play in the NBA, I say let him. Look at all these underclassmen leaving college after 1 year, you think 1 year of college makes that much of a difference? ***** plz

Is He Ill
10-06-2013, 10:10 PM
if an 18 year old man wants to play in the NBA, I say let him. Look at all these underclassmen leaving college after 1 year, you think 1 year of college makes that much of a difference? ***** plz

this

#number6ix#
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM
High school players can skip college and go straight to the d league... Right

HurricaneKid
10-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Does someone want to explain to me why an adult with a skill set worth millions of dollars should have to use those skills to make other people millions of dollars rather than use them to make himself some money?

I<3NBA
10-07-2013, 11:22 AM
i'm all for freedom. the choice should be with the player.

ZenMaster
10-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Its their choice to go to College or go to the NBA. Lenny Cooke brung that shit upon himself and he knows it.

Kwame and Miles were flat out scrubs anyways.

Those guys that failed rode the hype but didn't believe their own hype. They knew they sucked but they also had the opportunity to make millions without proving anything so they took it.

Once again, its the teams job to make sure whoever they are drafting is legit. Its what scouts are paid for.

Don't come to me with these SOB stories about Kwame Brown and Darius Miles because ultimately it was the team's choice to draft them and it was their choice to enter the draft KNOWING they weren't ready.

You're the one that knows nothing on this topic.

You just outlined the problem with not having the rule.

Teenagers who aren't ready entering the draft because of the lure of money are not good for the overall product of the NBA, and it hurts the players themselves in the long run because they don't develop properly and lose motivation too early.

Scouts do a better job when they can look for guys who fit in on their team than when they're looking for players taking advantage of the system for money.

Nash
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
It's stupid, its not like nba teams are forced to draft high schoolers. They get drafted because of potential. It's up to the team really if they believe Anthony Bennett is more ready or Wiggins.

Also let's stop acting as if college gets you ready for the NBA. Only a small fraction of the player who are actually in the play college ball are anywhere good enough to be in the nba. The college game low level and nothing can compare to the talent level of the nba.

tontoz
10-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Its stupid. If a player does not have the desire to go to college he shouldn't be forced to.

He isn't being forced to now.

There was no problems with how it was before. We got guys like Kevin Garnett,Kobe Bryant,Tracy McGrady, Jermaine O'Neal, LeBron James and more straight out of High School.

An NBA Career is short, and taking away valuable time from a player's career is unfair.

You conveniently failed to list all of the players drafted out of HS who were busts.

The rule is in the best interests of the League. It doesn't matter if it isn't in the best interests of guys who aren't in the league yet. Watching players go against better competition helps teams evaluate players.

tontoz
10-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Does someone want to explain to me why an adult with a skill set worth millions of dollars should have to use those skills to make other people millions of dollars rather than use them to make himself some money?

He doesn't have to but by all means keep making stuff up if it makes you feel better.

christian1923
10-07-2013, 12:26 PM
They should stay in college longer like the NFL. It would make college basketball a lot better.

NumberSix
10-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Why does the existence of prostitution require justification in the first place?

You're an incredibly retarded person if you seriously believe curing cancer isn't worth accepting the existence of prostitution. If you had said sex slavery, you might have a point, but prostitution is something that has no business being even illegal in the first place.

wang4three
10-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Every year someone posts about this and every year the wrong reasons are being listed. So I figure I might as well post in bigger font so you all can understand.

The college rule is NOT the NCAA's fault. It's the NBAs.

The NBA clearly put the college rule to PROTECT THEMSELVES. Too many IDIOT GMS were drafting high schoolers with top picks who had no business being drafted. Kwame Brown (#1) Darius Miles (#3) Eddy Curry (#4) DeSagana Diop (#8), Robert Swift (#12) Sebatstian Telfair (#13), Martell Webster (#6), and the list goes on and on. It was actually at a point where high school players were being uptrended with bust after bust being picked cause they were not ready.

Fans were getting pissed because they didn't like their teams drafting projects. Teams were losing because they clearly did not know what they were doing.

The NBA had to protect themselves so they instituted the rule. Like I said, THE ONE YEAR RULE ONLY HELPS OUT THE NBA. While one can argue ratings have gone up for the NCAA, so has the amount of scandals. Did you all know that Memphis had to FORFEIT all PROFITS made because of Derrick Rose?

This rule PROTECTS THE NBA. Think of a guy like Perry Jones. 6'11", can handle and shoot some, athletic... He probably would've beena top 5 pick if he didn't go to Baylor and was exposed to be a lackluster and soft player. Jared Sullinger, also a projected top 10 player, found out he has back problems and severe athletic and height issues. Saved a team from wasting their pick on him. Or Jerermy Tyler, once projetd to be a #1 pick. He went overseas and we found out he had serious attitude and work ethic problems.

Like I said, stop looking at the NCAA. They can be greedy and operate in the gray to black area, but this is clearly to save the NBA. If you want to be angry, be angry at the NBA.

FreezingTsmoove
10-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Every year someone posts about this and every year the wrong reasons are being listed. So I figure I might as well post in bigger font so you all can understand.

The NBA clearly put the college rule to PROTECT THEMSELVES. Too many IDIOT GMS were drafting high schoolers with top picks who had no business being drafted. Kwame Brown (#1) Darius Miles (#3) Eddy Curry (#4) DeSagana Diop (#8), Robert Swift (#12) Sebatstian Telfair (#13), Martell Webster (#6), and the list goes on and on. It was actually at a point where high school players were being uptrended with bust after bust being picked cause they were not ready.

Fans were getting pissed because they didn't like their teams drafting projects. Teams were losing because they clearly did not know what they were doing.

The NBA had to protect themselves so they instituted the rule. Like I said, THE ONE YEAR RULE ONLY HELPS OUT THE NBA. While one can argue ratings have gone up for the NCAA, so has the amount of scandals. Did you all know that Memphis had to FORFEIT all PROFITS made because of Derrick Rose?

This rule PROTECTS THE NBA. Think of a guy like Perry Jones. 6'11", can handle and shoot some, athletic... He probably would've beena top 5 pick if he didn't go to Baylor and was exposed to be a lackluster and soft player. Jared Sullinger, also a projected top 10 player, found out he has back problems and severe athletic and height issues. Saved a team from wasting their pick on him. Or Jerermy Tyler, once projetd to be a #1 pick. He went overseas and we found out he had serious attitude and work ethic problems.

Like I said, stop looking at the NCAA. They can be greedy and operate in the gray to black area, but this is clearly to save the NBA. If you want to be angry, be angry at the NBA.

Seriously people forgot about how big of a problem these HS busts were years ago.

97 bulls
10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
He doesn't have to but by all means keep making stuff up if it makes you feel better.
Well the fact is he can't go to the NBA right out of highschool. And that should be illegal. Thats discrmination based on age. Kyrie Irving not being able to bolt to the NBA from college probably cost him 10 to 15 mill when you factor in endorsements and his rookie contract.

97 bulls
10-07-2013, 06:11 PM

Weak argument. Draft bust has never been limited to highschool player picks.

wang4three
10-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Weak argument. Draft bust has never been limited to highschool player picks.

This is IRRELEVANT. I hear this argument ALL THE TIME AND IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. I never said that only high schoolers were BUSTS, but the OVERWHELMING majority of high school players FAIL, when entering the NBA. This also includes non-lottery picks as well. The NBA is trying to figure out ways to LIMIT busts and also to increase fan excitement over their draft picks. Unless you were hyped like LeBron, Kobe, or KG, fans could not get behind some high school player. They don't want to wait 2-3 years to see if they were worth the pick. They want RESULTS NOW. The NBA forcing them to play on the national stage in college was a method to get them to be excited for their draft pick. That is what this rule is about.

Once again it is not the NCAA's choice for this. It has caused more headache and difficulty as fans than help. This is a move by the NBA to PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THEIR PRODUCT.

ZHAKIDD532
10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
I like the baseball rule. If you want to go pro, go pro. But if you go to college you need to stay a few years.

Eric Cartman
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
I like the baseball rule. If you want to go pro, go pro. But if you go to college you need to stay a few years.

"The baseball rule" = Do whatever the **** you want.

97 bulls
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM
This is IRRELEVANT. I hear this argument ALL THE TIME AND IT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. I never said that only high schoolers were BUSTS, but the OVERWHELMING majority of high school players FAIL, when entering the NBA. This also includes non-lottery picks as well. The NBA is trying to figure out ways to LIMIT busts and also to increase fan excitement over their draft picks. Unless you were hyped like LeBron, Kobe, or KG, fans could not get behind some high school player. They don't want to wait 2-3 years to see if they were worth the pick. They want RESULTS NOW. The NBA forcing them to play on the national stage in college was a method to get them to be excited for their draft pick. That is what this rule is about.

Once again it is not the NCAA's choice for this. It has caused more headache and difficulty as fans than help. This is a move by the NBA to PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THEIR PRODUCT.
So you should be advocating eliminating the draft all together. Busts are busts. Why does it have to be limited to highschoolers? Not to mention highschoolers have carried the league.

wang4three
10-07-2013, 07:24 PM
So you should be advocating eliminating the draft all together. Busts are busts. Why does it have to be limited to highschoolers? Not to mention highschoolers have carried the league.

I don't know how you can continually misinterpret my point. My point is not about whether or not this rules stops busts. I am talking about LIMITING busts. Much like contraceptives does not STOP unwanted pregnancies and STDs, but the mass distribution of them LIMITS their occurrence. Get it? The NBA is trying to LIMIT busts and upset fans from happening. If there was a better rule in place, they would've institutionalized it, but this is the best they could come up with.

I have NO stance in whether the draft should be eliminated. That's retarded and a weird conclusion that you pulled out of no where. I have only the stance that the NBA is only acting in favor of THEMSELVES. I've said it many times. I'm tired of people being upset at the NCAA, when clearly their anger should be directed towards the NBA. I personally think the NBA should let high school players go to the NBA.

97 bulls
10-07-2013, 08:14 PM
I don't know how you can continually misinterpret my point. My point is not about whether or not this rules stops busts. I am talking about LIMITING busts. Much like contraceptives does not STOP unwanted pregnancies and STDs, but the mass distribution of them LIMITS their occurrence. Get it? The NBA is trying to LIMIT busts and upset fans from happening. If there was a better rule in place, they would've institutionalized it, but this is the best they could come up with.

I have NO stance in whether the draft should be eliminated. That's retarded and a weird conclusion that you pulled out of no where. I have only the stance that the NBA is only acting in favor of THEMSELVES. I've said it many times. I'm tired of people being upset at the NCAA, when clearly their anger should be directed towards the NBA. I personally think the NBA should let high school players go to the NBA.
My understanding is that you feel that eliminating high schoolers has lowered the amount of NBA busts. My point is all that does is add more college busts. And is illegal because it discriminates based on age. And costs these young men millions of dollars.

NumberSix
10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
SE Cupp is so hot.

robert de niro
10-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Word

La Frescobaldi
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Gtfo.
You can't tell if a guy is a D1 level player let alone an NBA player when he's playing against high school kids. Not even a dynamite scout can be sure of that when the competition is a bunch of hard-fouling, hack-prone guys who couldn't make red shirt squads at a D3 school. Everybody has seen real nice players look world class against that.

Especially when you are going ahead and talking about somebody like Sir Charles who was in freaking Alabamy or Shaquille O'Neal who was up in the most remote FREAKING mountains anybody ever saw clear off in Germany when his dad was in the service overseas. Bill Russell and Willis Reed grew up on farms so did Rodman. Who was ever going to know about those guys unless they went to college and showed what they could do on a national stage?

Not only that but look how many talented guys just blow up emo in college. They ain't no way ready for the fishbowl and never will be regardless of their skillset. Who needs another scenario like that guy on the Rox last year? What was his name? Royce whatever it was the tweetier bird debacle. Simple logic to protect teams from complete mental case like that Houston shambles.
If they want to go straight to pro they should be required to spend at least a year in D-League before NBA. And probly 2 years there. Mandatory time in the minor leagues at the minimum.
Getting to the league is just like a huge sheer vertical castle wall 400 feet tall and you have to put your entire body through the tiniest pinhole at the very top of that wall.

This is beyond a stupid topic it doesn't even matter if it's freaking KG it's still wrong to do it because it leads to the idea that anybody can get to the NBA when that's so remote a chance that anybody would ever get there.

Eric Cartman
10-07-2013, 09:44 PM
You can't tell if a guy is a D1 level player let alone an NBA player when he's playing against high school kids. Not even a dynamite scout can be sure of that when the competition is a bunch of hard-fouling, hack-prone guys who couldn't make red shirt squads at a D3 school. Everybody has seen real nice players look world class against that.

Especially when you are going ahead and talking about somebody like Sir Charles who was in freaking Alabamy or Shaquille O'Neal who was up in the most remote FREAKING mountains anybody ever saw clear off in Germany when his dad was in the service overseas. Bill Russell and Willis Reed grew up on farms so did Rodman. Who was ever going to know about those guys unless they went to college and showed what they could do on a national stage?

Not only that but look how many talented guys just blow up emo in college. They ain't no way ready for the fishbowl and never will be regardless of their skillset. Who needs another scenario like that guy on the Rox last year? What was his name? Royce whatever it was the tweetier bird debacle. Simple logic to protect teams from complete mental case like that Houston shambles.
If they want to go straight to pro they should be required to spend at least a year in D-League before NBA. And probly 2 years there. Mandatory time in the minor leagues at the minimum.
Getting to the league is just like a huge sheer vertical castle wall 400 feet tall and you have to put your entire body through the tiniest pinhole at the very top of that wall.

This is beyond a stupid topic it doesn't even matter if it's freaking KG it's still wrong to do it because it leads to the idea that anybody can get to the NBA when that's so remote a chance that anybody would ever get there.

Are you telling me that Durant wouldn't have had the same success in the NBA if he didn't go to Texas? What about Rose in Memphis.

Speculate all you want, these guys lost millions of dollars because the NBA is too scared that their scouts (who get paid pretty good) aren't competitive enough to determine the talent level of these players.

You can go to war at 18, but can't go to the NBA? What kind of crap is that?

bdreason
10-07-2013, 09:53 PM
There is no "College requirement". There is an age requirement of 19. And yes, I think the age requirement should be 18.

triangleoffense
10-07-2013, 09:55 PM
It's no secret that the professional/collegiate DI eligibility rules are a form of "plantation slavery" as voiced by Bryant Gumbel on realsports.

With that said I would actually like to see them raise the requirements for NCAA basketball players to stay at least 2 years, so that way they can get the full benefits of all of these great NCAA coaches. The only thing I would change is that I would set up a stipend/pay system so that these amazing athletes are paid directly by the Universities that they make wheelbarrows full of money for.

La Frescobaldi
10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Are you telling me that Durant wouldn't have had the same success in the NBA if he didn't go to Texas? What about Rose in Memphis.

Speculate all you want, these guys lost millions of dollars because the NBA is too scared that their scouts (who get paid pretty good) aren't competitive enough to determine the talent level of these players.

You can go to war at 18, but can't go to the NBA? What kind of crap is that?

war is poor analogy. they can't drink at 18 either. What kind of crap is that? I disagree with 18 for war too while you're at it, having seen what it does to lots of kids from Vietnam right up to now. Destroys so many minds but that's a totally different deal with really ancient history behind it.

No I'm not saying they wouldn't have the same success. I'm saying the NBA has an obligation to protect itself from giving buckets of bucks to guys that are mentally unready for that kind of money, that kind of fame, that kind of nomad life. But not only that look at how many pro athletes are broke a year after they retire. They blow through all that money like lightning - no background at all to know how to deal with finance at any level. $80,000 dinners and dropping a hundred K at the club and when they are done they got nothing. Like it or not anybody who has some college behind them is a little older, little more mature, a little more educated about not only money but life in general. Sure school is what it is, and a guy like Rose (who may or may not have taken his actual ACT) is gonna do what he's gonna do.

It's a better chance for teams to measure those guys against a high level of competition

La Frescobaldi
10-07-2013, 10:01 PM
It's no secret that the professional/collegiate DI eligibility rules are a form of "plantation slavery" as voiced by Bryant Gumbel on realsports.

With that said I would actually like to see them raise the requirements for NCAA basketball players to stay at least 2 years, so that way they can get the full benefits of all of these great NCAA coaches. The only thing I would change is that I would set up a stipend/pay system so that these amazing athletes are paid directly by the Universities that they make wheelbarrows full of money for.
nice idea in theory but that means even more taxes, for athletes, when we already can't pay the national bills though? i dunno

LosBulls
10-08-2013, 05:52 AM
They should stay in college longer like the NFL. It would make college basketball a lot better.
**** college basketball.

LosBulls
10-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Get outta here with this "bust" bullshit. I might as well post this in a bigger font so you can understand: IT IS THE TEAM SCOUTS JOBS TO DECIDE IF THE PLAYER THEY ARE DRAFTING IS THE REAL DEAL.

You come in here telling me the NBA are protecting themselves from having teams draft busts? Is that right?

How about Joe Alexander (No. 8, 2008)?
Hasheem Thabeet (No. 2, 2009)?
Marvin Williams (No. 2, 2005)?
Adam Morrison (No. 3, 2006)?
Greg Oden (No. 1, 2007)?

What do all those guys have in common? Top 10 picks, all went to college, all were BUSTS.

So get the **** out my face naming players who came straight out of High School and failed because NCAA doesn't prove SHIT. Adam Morrison was a beast in college, what happened?

AND WAIT, Not only did Morrison stay in college for 3 YEARS but he was also drafted with the #3 Pick!

You're over here naming guys who came out of highschool being drafted at number 12 and 13 but in reality the biggest busts come from college players in the TOP 10.

Take a look at ya boy MICHAEL BEASLEY.

And btw, the list keeps growing:
Shelden Williams - No. 5
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics20/200/RJ/RJYVKIMWUWQZRJW.20050916205627.jpg

Donyell Marshall - No. 4
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/conn/sports/m-baskbl/UC_marshalldonyell.jpg

Recognize this guy?

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/1/11/13/enhanced-buzz-17001-1357930381-6.jpg

Seems like a pretty average dude huh?

He was a Top 10 pick in 2004.

http://www.csnnw.com/sites/csnnw/files/styles/scale_282px_wide/public/screen_shot_2013-02-19_at_7.34.24_pm.png

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7233/ether4aa.jpg

LosBulls
10-08-2013, 06:21 AM

I'd like to start off by saying your whole argument is retarded. So what Shaq is in Germany and Rodman is on a farm? They can go to college, it would be their choice. Nobody is forcing them to go or not to go.

And that shit about not being able to tell apart players from High School to D-1 to NBA to whatever is absolutely stupid.

Have you ever heard of a Draft Combine? Pre-Draft Workouts and interviews?

LosBulls
10-08-2013, 06:24 AM
war is poor analogy. they can't drink at 18 either. What kind of crap is that? I disagree with 18 for war too while you're at it, having seen what it does to lots of kids from Vietnam right up to now. Destroys so many minds but that's a totally different deal with really ancient history behind it.

No I'm not saying they wouldn't have the same success. I'm saying the NBA has an obligation to protect itself from giving buckets of bucks to guys that are mentally unready for that kind of money, that kind of fame, that kind of nomad life. But not only that look at how many pro athletes are broke a year after they retire. They blow through all that money like lightning - no background at all to know how to deal with finance at any level. $80,000 dinners and dropping a hundred K at the club and when they are done they got nothing. Like it or not anybody who has some college behind them is a little older, little more mature, a little more educated about not only money but life in general. Sure school is what it is, and a guy like Rose (who may or may not have taken his actual ACT) is gonna do what he's gonna do.

It's a better chance for teams to measure those guys against a high level of competition
Once again another retarded argument coming from you.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/antoine_walker2.jpg

^ This guy is now broke.

alexd
10-08-2013, 06:25 AM
i actually disagree with most of people here.Player SHOULD stay in college.ofc that s a lose for the fans and the league BUT its a win for the players that don t succeed in the nba.Most people don t suceed.From all those players that try their luck in their league only few of them play.But having an education can open different paths even if it wasn t the one the dreamed of.Plus it teaches them how to manage the money and don t end up broke

LosBulls
10-08-2013, 06:26 AM
nice idea in theory but that means even more taxes, for athletes, when we already can't pay the national bills though? i dunno
AND ANOTHER RETARDED ARGUMENT! You're on a roll today buddy!

You're thinking that the NCAA gets to keep all the money the players make them and instead they pay the players with tax money?

:facepalm

LosBulls
10-08-2013, 06:28 AM
i actually disagree with most of people here.Player SHOULD stay in college.ofc that s a lose for the fans and the league BUT its a win for the players that don t succeed in the nba.Most people don t suceed.From all those players that try their luck in their league only few of them play.But having an education can open different paths even if it wasn t the one the dreamed of.Plus it teaches them how to manage the money and don t end up broke
Judging by your shitty grammar i'm guessing you speak from experience.

alexd
10-08-2013, 06:54 AM
Judging by your shitty grammar i'm guessing you speak from experience.
or you know..english isn t my native language

tontoz
10-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Well the fact is he can't go to the NBA right out of highschool. And that should be illegal. Thats discrmination based on age. Kyrie Irving not being able to bolt to the NBA from college probably cost him 10 to 15 mill when you factor in endorsements and his rookie contract.

:facepalm

So dumb. I have two words that you need to introduce to your vocabulary....collective bargaining. The draft would be illegal if not for collective bargaining. Ditto the salary cap.

wang4three
10-08-2013, 07:59 AM
My understanding is that you feel that eliminating high schoolers has lowered the amount of NBA busts. My point is all that does is add more college busts. And is illegal because it discriminates based on age. And costs these young men millions of dollars.

Your understanding is INCORRECT. I have said that I feel this rule is DUMB. And once again, what I feel is IRRELEVANT. It is about what the NBA feels. The NBA feels that it is limiting busts and upset fans.

My stance THIS ENTIRE TIME has been on the perspective of the NBA. The people in this thread has blamed the NCAA for this rule when their anger is misdirected and should be at the NBA. Like my previous post said, I think high schoolers should be ALLOWED to make it to the NBA.

wang4three
10-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Get outta here with this "bust" bullshit. I might as well post this in a bigger font so you can understand: IT IS THE TEAM SCOUTS JOBS TO DECIDE IF THE PLAYER THEY ARE DRAFTING IS THE REAL DEAL.

You come in here telling me the NBA are protecting themselves from having teams draft busts? Is that right?

How about Joe Alexander (No. 8, 2008)?
Hasheem Thabeet (No. 2, 2009)?
Marvin Williams (No. 2, 2005)?
Adam Morrison (No. 3, 2006)?
Greg Oden (No. 1, 2007)?

What do all those guys have in common? Top 10 picks, all went to college, all were BUSTS.

So get the **** out my face naming players who came straight out of High School and failed because NCAA doesn't prove SHIT. Adam Morrison was a beast in college, what happened?

AND WAIT, Not only did Morrison stay in college for 3 YEARS but he was also drafted with the #3 Pick!

You're over here naming guys who came out of highschool being drafted at number 12 and 13 but in reality the biggest busts come from college players in the TOP 10.

Take a look at ya boy MICHAEL BEASLEY.

Once AGAIN. Just like last time, you are MISINTERPRETING MY POINT for your own blinded points. YOU MUST SEE IT FROM THE EYES OF THE NBA. They (NOT ME) think that the probability of a proven college player to be a bust is LOWER than a kid from high school. WHICH IS TRUE. Take all the high school players and put them in a ratio of SUCCESS:FAILURE and put that against college players and it is clearly in favor of college.

LIKE I SAID IN FOLLOWING POSTS, I DO NOT LIKE THIS RULE. IF TEAMS WANT TO MAKE BAD MISTAKES, LET THEM DO IT, DON'T POLICE THEM AND FORCE THE NCAA TO DOWNGRADE THEIR PRODUCT FOR THE NBA. I AM ONLY IN THIS ARGUMENT BECAUSE YOUR ANGER IS MISDIRECTED TO THE NCAA WHEN IT SHOULD BE TO THE NBA

wakencdukest
10-08-2013, 08:09 AM
The last thing I care about is these guys losing money because they have to wait a year. Seriously, who gives a shit. That's whats great about the rookie pay scale, players used to demand big contracts before they played and the dumbf*ck owners were the ones giving them big money. There will be busts no matter what the situation is. Open the floodgates and let em in. If they don't work out after a couple of years, cut them.

kshutts1
10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
A few points:
1) No one is "losing" money. They all have the option to earn money elsewhere until they are eligible for the NBA. Their choice to not take that route.

2) The NBA is a business, and as someone else mentioned, went through channels to make their selection process legal. So in the end, the NBA needs to protect their business, and they took steps to do so.

3) Scouts are not omniscient. They are generally pretty good at recognizing skill sets, regardless of competition, but how those same skills equate to a professional level of basketball has way too many variables to make an accurate prediction. The further out a projection is created/done (HS vs college vs first year in the league, etc) the less accurate the projection will be. No matter how good the projector is at their job.

4) Please stop pigeon-holing your arguments. I know this is never going to happen, particularly on ISH, but if you want to make a valid point, then admit both sides, and show why your argument holds more water, even considering the "hits" of the other side, and the "misses" of your own.

5) Semi-tangential idea here. Is it too far-fetched an idea for all D1 schools to have "fame and fortune" classes available to freshmen? The class(es) would deal with things such as... money management, publicity, social media, nutrition, wellness, basic legal guidelines of the league one wishes to join, etc.

LosBulls
10-08-2013, 07:16 PM
A few points:
1) No one is "losing" money. They all have the option to earn money elsewhere until they are eligible for the NBA. Their choice to not take that route.

2) The NBA is a business, and as someone else mentioned, went through channels to make their selection process legal. So in the end, the NBA needs to protect their business, and they took steps to do so. High school busts are NOT the problem. We still have the Gilbert Arenas' and the Rashard Lewises making 100s of millions sitting at home because of stupid front offices.

3) Scouts are not omniscient. They are generally pretty good at recognizing skill sets, regardless of competition, but how those same skills equate to a professional level of basketball has way too many variables to make an accurate prediction. The further out a projection is created/done (HS vs college vs first year in the league, etc) the less accurate the projection will be. No matter how good the projector is at their job.

4) Please stop pigeon-holing your arguments. I know this is never going to happen, particularly on ISH, but if you want to make a valid point, then admit both sides, and show why your argument holds more water, even considering the "hits" of the other side, and the "misses" of your own.

5) Semi-tangential idea here. Is it too far-fetched an idea for all D1 schools to have "fame and fortune" classes available to freshmen? The class(es) would deal with things such as... money management, publicity, social media, nutrition, wellness, basic legal guidelines of the league one wishes to join, etc.
1) They DO lose money. They either play college ball and make $0 or go play international for a couple Gs and then have your draft stock go down. The higher you are drafted the more money you make, so YES, they do lose money.

2) They need to protect their business huh? By taking money under the table by another league? Is that how? You mean how during the entire month of March there are no Nationally Televised Games unless you pay for League Pass? Unless you work for the NBA you shouldn't be taking sides with them because what they are doing is wrong.

3) Scouts are paid to scout, and there are always risks you have to take when drafting a player. If there were no risks then scouts wouldn't be needed.

4) Pigeon Holing my arguments? I'm speaking the truth. You're just some brainwashed ass simpleton who just follows the norm like they want you to do. I'm guessing you believe the Lock Out was a good thing too huh?

5) The NBA gives a class before the draft about money management.

kshutts1
10-08-2013, 07:23 PM
1) They DO lose money. They either play college ball and make $0 or go play international for a couple Gs and then have your draft stock go down. The higher you are drafted the more money you make, so YES, they do lose money.

Not guaranteed they'll lose draft stock. Their play, and their workouts and interviews, determine that. If they deserve to be in the NBA, and deserve to be paid, then they'll play well in the EL.

2) They need to protect their business huh? By taking money under the table by another league? Is that how? You mean how during the entire month of March there are no Nationally Televised Games unless you pay for League Pass? Unless you work for the NBA you shouldn't be taking sides with them because what they are doing is wrong.

I don't know how to respond to this. You're clearly trolling, or have no concept of what business entails.

3) Scouts are paid to scout, and there are always risks you have to take when drafting a player. If there were no risks then scouts wouldn't be needed.

So we agree. Good.

4) Pigeon Holing my arguments? I'm speaking the truth. You're just some brainwashed ass simpleton who just follows the norm like they want you to do. I'm guessing you believe the Lock Out was a good thing too huh?

I was not necessarily referring to you. But you only speak part of the truth. Speak the whole truth. Mention the successes, and the failures. Weigh them against one another.

5) The NBA gives a class before the draft about money management.

The Rookie Symporium (sp?)? Yup. That one tiny meeting covers it. In fact, why have college at all... everyone gets trained up at their new jobs anyway (there should be a forehead-slapping emoticon that I can insert here.. :facepalm is close).