PDA

View Full Version : Australia has the highest amount of subscribers to NBA league pass outside of the USA

B4llin
10-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Yet they play exhibition games in Turkey. How about rewarding the people that actually want to see live NBA games. Last year they failed to play any NBA games on free to air T.V because they wanted to force us to pay for their ILP, and again they leave us out of the exhibition games.

The NBA is the most money hungry sport in the world.

bergs14
10-07-2013, 06:33 AM
I remember during the lockout, there were talks of an all-star like squad coming over to Melbourne for a pickup game. Damn I wish that went through. But yes, the NBA should definitely look at playing in Aus, as long as they wouldn't play against our NBL teams haha. I believe if they went to the major cities, games would easily sell out, probably even Bobcats games.

coin24
10-07-2013, 07:30 AM
And as usual we pay twice as much as the rest of the world for the exact same product..:facepalm

Would love to see an nba team come over, would def travel to any capital to see it also.

B-Easy8
10-07-2013, 08:25 AM
NBA is big here yet we don't get any pre-season games and we pay ridiculous amounts for LP.

We have to buy it though since there is close to 0 games on TV.

A scrub NBA team vs the NBL all-stars wouldn't be that bad, or just 2 teams come here and play eachother.

andremiller07
10-07-2013, 08:36 AM
They show complete ****ing trash like NFL and MBL here on free tv yet won't show NBA and only show two games a week of NBL, complete disgrace they force shit down our throats yet won't promote something exciting. Also foxtel is only 2 NBA games a week which is terrible considering foxtel (pay tv) is expensive and they show darts/table tennis more often....

NumberSix
10-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Aren't Australian TVs backwards?

ripthekik
10-07-2013, 09:16 AM
U mean like how your mom usually faces me?

HomieWeMajor
10-07-2013, 09:37 AM
The NBA doesn't want their players to get treated like how Australians treat Aborigines

TheReturn
10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
:lol

mugiwara
10-07-2013, 09:43 AM
C'mon mates, we can all watch the hoopidy hops round my place! Fire up the barbie, crack some fosters, eat some roo. bloody marvellous mate.

Nash
10-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Well, obviously. In Europe(and Africa, South and West Asia), the games are played in the middle of the night. There is no reason to by a product you only can use during the hours you're a sleep.

Le Shaqtus
10-07-2013, 10:27 AM

:applause:

andremiller07
10-07-2013, 10:39 AM
The NBA doesn't want their players to get treated like how Australians treat Aborigines
Paying them to do nothing other than steal get drunk and go round in groups bashing innocent people while those innocent peoples taxes provide there families with free houses and cars they just trash themselves. Aborigines have it so good in Australia but they simply choose to behave like morons and use all the money they get for doing nothing on things they don't need.

coin24
10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Paying them to do nothing other than steal get drunk and go round in groups bashing innocent people while those innocent peoples taxes provide there families with free houses and cars they just trash themselves. Aborigines have it so good in Australia but they simply choose to behave like morons and use all the money they get for doing nothing on things they don't need.

Not to mention free university and basically zero percent home loans.. Yeah real hard done by.

coin24
10-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Well, obviously. In Europe(and Africa, South and West Asia), the games are played in the middle of the night. There is no reason to by a product you only can use during the hours you're a sleep.

You do understand how league pass works right?
You can watch it whenever you want, doesn't have to be live.:facepalm

Games are usually on here in the morning to midday when most people are at work..

Nash
10-07-2013, 11:05 AM
You do understand how league pass works right?
You can watch it whenever you want, doesn't have to be live.:facepalm

Games are usually on here in the morning to midday when most people are at work..
Who the hell wants to pay all that money to watch a replay when you can watch highlights of the games on nba.com

B-Easy8
10-07-2013, 11:11 AM

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Im doing internships now and the amount of benefits and advantages they get from companies as well as everything they can get throughout university is incredible.

Still they are an absolute blight.

coin24
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Who the hell wants to pay all that money to watch a replay when you can watch highlights of the games on nba.com

:biggums:
Some people actually enjoy watching a game of bball..

NumberSix
10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
If she's backward, how exactly can she be facing you? :confusedshrug:

Your mom on the other hand faces me. Just not in the face.

:roll:

jimmy77x
10-07-2013, 12:54 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: damn

Grinder
10-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Yup. Aussies love their basketball yet they're punished for it with limited access and inflated prices while Brits get plenty of basketball on TV and don't give two shits about it. It's laughable.

Sakkreth
10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Yup. Aussies love their basketball yet they're punished for it with limited access and inflated prices while Brits get plenty of basketball on TV and don't give two shits about it. It's laughable.

Yeah in UK u can watch lots of ball, but here in Lithuania it used to show even on lithuanian channels some years ago, but now it's hard to get it on any channel :facepalm

Batz
10-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Be green for a bit. :oldlol:

NumberSix
10-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Wait a minute..... Do they not show basketball on Australian TV?

outbreak
10-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Wait a minute..... Do they not show basketball on Australian TV?
Regular Australian tv is a joke. They don't show any good shows and if they do its months later. We have Foxtel which is pay tv and shows afew games and the play offs but that's still pretty terrible. No wonder Australia is always near the top whenever they talk about countries pirating the most tv shows.

Also Australia treated the aboriginies poorly when europeans migrated here but let's not forget how America treated African Americans for most of their history.

DuMa
10-07-2013, 03:23 PM
NBA cant satisfy everyone you know.

outbreak
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Be fair with a tour though they probably look at if we watch our local leagues. Sure we may buy alot of league pass but Asian countries have a more attended local league and a population section that may not be able to justify paying what leauge pass costs and may bewatching free streams. As a wwhole it country doesn't care about the nba

SyRyanYang
10-07-2013, 03:27 PM
If she's backward, how exactly can she be facing you? :confusedshrug:

Your mom on the other hand faces me. Just not in the face.

:roll:

terrible comeback:sleeping
try again

Legends66NBA7
10-07-2013, 03:35 PM

:facepalm

FreezingTsmoove
10-07-2013, 05:48 PM
C'mon mates, we can all watch the hoopidy hops round my place! Fire up the barbie, crack some fosters, eat some roo. bloody marvellous mate.

:oldlol:

G-train
10-07-2013, 07:16 PM

Okay, hoopidy hops is funny, I'll give you that.

jstern
10-07-2013, 07:22 PM

Upside down.

NumberSix
10-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Upside down.
I heard that Australia has like 5 Alec Baldwins.

robert de niro
10-07-2013, 09:33 PM
people actually buy league pass?

9erempiree
10-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I have no problem that our Aussie sisters can't watch the NBA.

More fore me to enjoy.

El Kabong
10-07-2013, 09:54 PM
I'd get league pass if it didn't have the antiquated "Australia Tax" put on it.

Also, the reason the NBA ignores Australia is there's only 20 million people here where basketball is probably the 5th or 6th most popular sport behind Aussie rules football, rugby, cricket and soccer. England has 3 times as many people, so there's more people to convert, as well as being surrounded by plenty of other European countries, whereas Australia is pretty isolated apart from a few smaller Australasian countries being nearby.

Bucket_Nakedz
10-07-2013, 10:03 PM
It's third world country. I am just astounded that the few of you aussies here are able to have internet.

outbreak
10-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I'd get league pass if it didn't have the antiquated "Australia Tax" put on it.

Also, the reason the NBA ignores Australia is there's only 20 million people here where basketball is probably the 5th or 6th most popular sport behind Aussie rules football, rugby, cricket and soccer. England has 3 times as many people, so there's more people to convert, as well as being surrounded by plenty of other European countries, whereas Australia is pretty isolated apart from a few smaller Australasian countries being nearby.

last time I looked NBL attendance average was like 3-4k, AFL was 30-40k. Rightly or wrongly NBA would look at the attendance figures and assume not enough people would turn up.

El Kabong
10-07-2013, 10:14 PM
last time I looked NBL attendance average was like 3-4k, AFL was 30-40k. Rightly or wrongly NBA would look at the attendance figures and assume not enough people would turn up.
Yep. I am surprised they don't play a game in the off-season because sports fans in general would go. Half the issue with the NBL is quality wise, it's just not very good.

outbreak
10-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Yep. I am surprised they don't play a game in the off-season because sports fans in general would go. Half the issue with the NBL is quality wise, it's just not very good.
I agree the scheduling sucks and they need it on more free to air. Back in the 90s it was much better supported and was a better league.

plowking
10-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Australia doesn't want the Americans here. We're a far more successful sporting country than they are, so it would be a step down to bring Americans here to play.

They are in awe of our sporting prowess, while America continues to underachieve given their larger population. It just comes down to Australia being a better country and having better people.

9erempiree
10-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Australia doesn't want the Americans here. We're a far more successful sporting country than they are, so it would be a step down to bring Americans here to play.

They are in awe of our sporting prowess, while America continues to underachieve given their larger population. It just comes down to Australia being a better country and having better people.

We're underachieving given our population but yet we can still kick the Aussie's at every sport known to man.

That's why you come on an American message board and spend so much time posting about an American sport and league.

Not the smartest tool eh?

outbreak
10-08-2013, 12:13 AM
lol troll post replying to a troll post.

9erempiree
10-08-2013, 12:15 AM
lol troll post replying to a troll post.

Like I said, the trolls suck.

They need to go read "I was too young to watch MJ" thread and learn the art.

plowking
10-08-2013, 12:28 AM

We're underachieving given our population but yet we can still kick the Aussie's at every sport known to man.

That's why you come on an American message board and spend so much time posting about an American sport and league.

Not the smartest tool eh?

I love the Canadian sport of basketball. Its great.
This is an Australian message board, that's why I post here. It was created in Australia. This site has nothing to do with America. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Why are you here posting on an Aussie message board about a Canadian sport? Are you trying to improve yourself as a person and learn about superior countries to yours?

9erempiree
10-08-2013, 12:30 AM
I love the Canadian sport of basketball. Its great.
This is an Australian message board, that's why I post here. It was created in Australia. This site has nothing to do with America. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Why are you here posting on an Aussie message board about a Canadian sport? Are you trying to improve yourself as a person and learn about superior countries to yours?

Stop. You wasting your time and mine as well.

plowking
10-08-2013, 12:36 AM

Stop. You wasting your time and mine as well.

Not sure I understand.

I'm an Aussie, so naturally, I think its cool you're here on an Aussie site where we can help you out, and you're able to experience the better things in life that you wouldn't be able to get in America. Its great that you follow a Canadian sport as well.

You're a go getter. :applause:

bigt
10-08-2013, 02:13 AM

Yeah, this time of year would actually be the perfect time for the NBA to come. The AFL and NRL finals have been played, people are still buzzing about sport but two of the main attractions are done and dusted. You bring down a couple of decent-ish teams for a game or two (one in Melbourne, one in Sydney) of pre-season and you'd sell most if not all of the seats I reckon. Australians will go and watch just about any sport as long as it's between quality teams (which is the issue with the NBL, the quality just isn't there at the moment)

sick_brah07
10-08-2013, 02:36 AM
from 2008 till about 2011 they were playing it on ONE a few times a week and basketball seemed to be booming here again. Everyone was talking about it and getting interested and now its dieing again because they have simply stopped playing it. They are however forcing baseball and NFL down our throats playing it numerous times through out the week

Like during the Olympics they cut from the 4th quater of the gold medal match in basketball to show i swear to god Heat race of ROWING that didnt even have any ****ing Australians in it

Basketball is not supported at all for whatever reason, so many awesome young players have gone back to there mother land in europe or simply stopped playing in australia because there was no where to go

Hell Andrew ****ING Bogut couldnt make the melbourne tiger juniors LOL and got cut from numerous teams

Basketball as much i ****ing love the sport to death is an absolute ****ing joke in Australia, lawn bowls would get you a brighter future lol

eriX
10-08-2013, 02:36 AM
if they bring a team down to play like the sydney kings it would be sold out. I remember years ago when i attended a and1 show and it was near sell out so can't imagine a nba team won't sell out...
honestly i've seen more people wear nba jersey's more than any other sport on the street or at uni and such but we are like one of the more isolated places so..

sick_brah07
10-08-2013, 02:38 AM
if they bring a team down to play like the sydney kings it would be sold out. I remember years ago when i attended a and1 show and it was near sell out so can't imagine a nba team won't sell out...
honestly i've seen more people wear nba jersey's more than any other sport on the street or at uni and such but we are like one of the more isolated places so..

basketball is loved here i dont know why there isnt more funding or support for it or sponsorships, the group running the NBL are a complete joke

Unforgiven
10-08-2013, 02:46 AM

Unfortunately that's because half the people who wear it ain't fans, they do it because it's 'cool'.

The amount of ppl rocking Chicago tops who I've said "looking forward to D-Rose coming back?" Who just stare at me like... "D-What?" :facepalm

It would be good for the NBA to support it more in Aus

9erempiree
10-08-2013, 03:33 AM
from 2008 till about 2011 they were playing it on ONE a few times a week and basketball seemed to be booming here again. Everyone was talking about it and getting interested and now its dieing again because they have simply stopped playing it. They are however forcing baseball and NFL down our throats playing it numerous times through out the week

Like during the Olympics they cut from the 4th quater of the gold medal match in basketball to show i swear to god Heat race of ROWING that didnt even have any ****ing Australians in it

Basketball is not supported at all for whatever reason, so many awesome young players have gone back to there mother land in europe or simply stopped playing in australia because there was no where to go

Hell Andrew ****ING Bogut couldnt make the melbourne tiger juniors LOL and got cut from numerous teams

Basketball as much i ****ing love the sport to death is an absolute ****ing joke in Australia, lawn bowls would get you a brighter future lol

I am sorry your country sucks when it comes to basketball coverage. Thanks for telling me this.

I suspected it was bad but not that bad. At least you got your cricket.

Just more NBA for me and you guys don't deserve preseason games at all.

9erempiree
10-08-2013, 03:35 AM

Again, sorry to hear how crappy the Aussies are when it comes to basketball.

I have learned a lot of how bad Australia is in covering the sport.

Pathetic.:facepalm

Big_Dogg
10-08-2013, 03:37 AM
It would be good for the NBA to support it more in Aus

That would be a drwam, but as mentioned, we don't have a big enough market so would be an insignificant blip in investment of the game here, it's really such a shame, when it's on TV here, the ratings are great (As was mentioned when we had it on One HD which was a designated sports channel by design), as soon as they stopped and it was out of the public eye and not accesible to the general public unless on pay tv, down it went again, it's a vicious cycle and very depressing for us hoop fans.

9erempiree
10-08-2013, 03:39 AM
That would be a drwam, but as mentioned, we don't have a big enough market so would be an insignificant blip in investment of the game here, it's really such a shame, when it's on TV here, the ratings are great (As was mentioned when we had it on One HD which was a designated sports channel by design), as soon as they stopped and it was out of the public eye and not accesible to the general public unless on pay tv, down it went again, it's a vicious cycle and very depressing for us hoop fans.

Can't you get a petition going and have people call the networks.

Don't you guys have a national team too?

bigt
10-08-2013, 03:59 AM
Can't you get a petition going and have people call the networks.

Don't you guys have a national team too?

I think it all comes down to licencing between the networks. Foxtel (the pay tv channel) have been lapping up a lot of the sporting contracts, so that the free to air channels can only afford to pay for the sport they know will draw in top dollar. Down here that's Australian Rules Football, Rugby, cricket and a couple of others.

What doesn't make sense is that Foxtel only show maybe two games a week, yet Baseball and NFL get more games even though I think it's a safe bet there is less interest in those sports than in basketball down here. We get more college basketball than NBA, so it has to have something to do with the licencing.

Xover
10-08-2013, 06:33 AM
I think Australians fear the notion of another sport becoming more popular than AFL primarily for patriotic reasons but also the hit that AFL will take in generating revenue. As another poster mentioned, yes, more nba jerseys are worn nowadays, not because every single being here loves the sport but more so because NBA apparel is the cool thing today. I know plenty of people who rock NBA jerseys, snap-backs and kicks who admit to never playing or following the sport. It's a fashion trend. The only time I see AFL jersyes worn are when theyre on their way to watch a match or when I visit a pub. There's a large European and New Zealand population over here and they all wear clothing associated with soccer and rugby, respectively.

chips93
10-08-2013, 06:52 AM
this thread is getting political :banghead:

B-Easy8
10-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Yeah, this time of year would actually be the perfect time for the NBA to come. The AFL and NRL finals have been played, people are still buzzing about sport but two of the main attractions are done and dusted. You bring down a couple of decent-ish teams for a game or two (one in Melbourne, one in Sydney) of pre-season and you'd sell most if not all of the seats I reckon. Australians will go and watch just about any sport as long as it's between quality teams (which is the issue with the NBL, the quality just isn't there at the moment)

Not all the teams are bad.

Watch Perth vs NZ and I guarantee you will enjoy it. Both teams draw 10 000+ to there games and when they play eachother the atmosphere is crazy.

They are also the top 2 teams pretty much every year.

webberz0044
10-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Blame Murdoch for OneHD getting rid of the NBA. As for league pass prices I just paid $115 using an India proxy which is a massive saving compared to the $300+ dollars they want from us Aussie fans.

El Kabong
10-08-2013, 07:26 AM
I think it all comes down to licencing between the networks. Foxtel (the pay tv channel) have been lapping up a lot of the sporting contracts, so that the free to air channels can only afford to pay for the sport they know will draw in top dollar. Down here that's Australian Rules Football, Rugby, cricket and a couple of others.

What doesn't make sense is that Foxtel only show maybe two games a week, yet Baseball and NFL get more games even though I think it's a safe bet there is less interest in those sports than in basketball down here. We get more college basketball than NBA, so it has to have something to do with the licencing.
I had heard that ONE dumping sports occurred when Murdoch bought a ton of shares in Channel 10. That was around the time ONE decided to stop being a 24x7 sports channel and instead shows endless re-runs of crap like COPS. So all the sports that were dumped by ONE moved over to Foxtel, and guess who owns 50% of that?

Entire thing was to get people to subscribe to Foxtel for sports (I know plenty of people who do this)

dunksby
10-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Congratz you are Stern's favorite customers, see where that got you.

AussieG
10-08-2013, 08:54 AM
I see any Grizzlies game I want to see, and I don't pay a cent (unless you include pay TV), I'm not complaining.

outbreak
10-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Not all the teams are bad.

Watch Perth vs NZ and I guarantee you will enjoy it. Both teams draw 10 000+ to there games and when they play eachother the atmosphere is crazy.

They are also the top 2 teams pretty much every year.

can only find the 2012 stats but they are both only averaging the low 4000s in attendence so they don't draw anywhere near 10000 people as you claim. Also that year perths highest attendence was 4400 and NZ was 7979 (says they had 2 arenas, one average 6k the other 3k)

B-Easy8
10-08-2013, 08:36 PM
can only find the 2012 stats but they are both only averaging the low 4000s in attendence so they don't draw anywhere near 10000 people as you claim. Also that year perths highest attendence was 4400 and NZ was 7979 (says they had 2 arenas, one average 6k the other 3k)

I am a Perth member, go to all there games so I know for a fact that they get at least 10k for every game.

outbreak
10-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I am a Perth member, go to all there games so I know for a fact that they get at least 10k for every game.

according to the NBL they didn't in 2012 not sure at all about last season as I vaguely follow melbourne but not much but that's what the stats say.

Big_Dogg
10-08-2013, 10:30 PM
according to the NBL they didn't in 2012 not sure at all about last season as I vaguely follow melbourne but not much but that's what the stats say.

I'm a Perth member too and I can concur that last season in the new Perth Arena, I doubt there was ever any crowd under 10K

outbreak
10-08-2013, 10:50 PM
I'm a Perth member too and I can concur that last season in the new Perth Arena, I doubt there was ever any crowd under 10K
ah k, I like the numbers being higher, what I found must still be the old arena. Is it promoted well in Perth? I wish they would promote it more here and show it on tv more

yanix
10-08-2013, 10:59 PM
http://swiftor.com/attachments/f2/9760d1327017588t-anonymous-launches-largest-attack-ever-shit-just-got-real.jpg

El Kabong
10-08-2013, 11:21 PM
They have attendance figures up here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_NBL_season

Majority of Perth home games are at 11K, not a single game dipped below 10K.

B-Easy8
10-09-2013, 04:32 AM
ah k, I like the numbers being higher, what I found must still be the old arena. Is it promoted well in Perth? I wish they would promote it more here and show it on tv more

Its pretty well promoted here (Perth), it helps that most of our games are on Friday night and the arena is in the middle of the city.

Another factor is that Perth has made the finals for 26 (I think) straight seasons and they very rarely lose at home. Plus we signed James Ennis who was drafted by the Heat this season.