PDA

View Full Version : Gravity was such a good movie.

LakersDaBEst
10-09-2013, 11:30 PM
I highly recommend anyone to go watch it. It gave me a way different feeling and perspective than other movies I've ever seen. It feels different. :applause:

If you know a theater with Dolby Atmos , you should definitely watch it in 3D with Dolby Atmos sound.

iamgine
10-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Watch it in a quiet theater where there's not many people around.

Quentin Tarantino should be writing the dialogues though :lol

TheReal Kendall
10-10-2013, 12:19 AM
What's it about?

Too lazy to google

KingBeasley08
10-10-2013, 01:16 AM
Really wanna check this out

Rolando
10-10-2013, 05:58 AM
Saw it last night: Yes, very good movie.

DCL
10-10-2013, 06:41 AM
the astrophysicists weren't impressed. those nerds of nerds.... lol

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/10/07/heres-what-neil-degrasse-tyson-thinks-of-gravity/

B-Easy8
10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
It was very good but it was also pretty ridiculous.

Take Your Lumps
10-10-2013, 10:20 AM
What's it about?

Too lazy to google

All you have to type into Google is literally one word: Gravity.

Instead, you took the time to write seven words?

I<3NBA
10-10-2013, 11:27 AM
the astrophysicists weren't impressed. those nerds of nerds.... lol

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/10/07/heres-what-neil-degrasse-tyson-thinks-of-gravity/
i had a couple of complaints about the physics in the movie too. but faulty science aside, it was a great movie. really, really well directed, shot, and scored.

the writing left a lot to be desired.

Trollsmasher
10-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Rush was better

JEFFERSON MONEY
10-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Really really liked Bullock's character.

Very courageous and strong.

rufuspaul
10-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Really really liked Bullock's character.

Very courageous and strong.

Nude?

Lebron23
10-10-2013, 02:05 PM
I am gonna watch it this weekend. I read some great reviews on imdb.com

TheReal Kendall
10-10-2013, 05:32 PM
All you have to type into Google is literally one word: Gravity.

Instead, you took the time to write seven words?

You could've just explained it to me instead of telling me irrelevant stuff.

Just googled it and I'll wait for it on bootleg

It looks like its gonna be like that movie "Open Water" except they're in space

highwhey
10-10-2013, 05:40 PM
You could've just explained it to me instead of telling me irrelevant stuff
3 astronauts working on some satellite get hit by debree because some stupid russians blew up one of their own satellites and as you may be aware, centripetal acceleration causes that debree along with any else in that altitude range to orbit the earth so the astronauts clash with the debree. Sandra bullock is mfing hot for a 50 something year old.her legs are boner worthy.

TheReal Kendall
10-10-2013, 05:42 PM
3 astronauts working on some satellite get hit by debree because some stupid russians blew up one of their own satellites and as you may be aware, centripetal acceleration causes that debree along with any else in that altitude range to orbit the earth so the astronauts clash with the debree. Sandra bullock is mfing hot for a 50 something year old.her legs are boner worthy.

Thanks.

She looked good in "The Heat" also

Rake2204
10-19-2013, 12:02 AM
I found this flick to be quite stunning. I'd certainly recommend an IMAX 3D viewing. I was riveted throughout. I don't really have any complaints. For what it was, it was pretty spectacular.

Scholar
10-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Even though I called bullshit on A LOT of things, this movie had me amazed. Sure, they could've done a better job on physics and overall graphics (I always felt like I was watching two actors in front of a green screen instead of two characters in space), it still rocked.
Sandra Bullock? Omg. When she takes her suit off, I couldn't help but notice her body. Flat stomach, amazing legs, relatively decent sized ass. I know every other male in theaters was also staring at her like I was. She looked stunning.

enayes
10-19-2013, 12:50 AM
I honestly felt like I was back in space.

LakersDaBEst
10-19-2013, 01:20 AM
I honestly felt like I was back in space.

3D + Dolby Atmos :bowdown: :bowdown:

Myth
10-19-2013, 02:19 AM
It was very good but it was also pretty ridiculous.

Every time they got something to work, something else went wrong. It was really a "What will go wrong next" movie. I half expected at the end when [spoiler in white]she stood up on land as she got out of water that there would be a tribe of people with spears looking angry at her. I know that wouldn't make sense with the "seriousness" of the movie that they went for, but in my mind it made sense because of the ridiculousness.

Overall, it was only a good movie that is filmed great. I was totally into it and it was intense the whole time, but once I left the theater, it wasn't something that stuck with. I reflected on a couple parts with my gf on the walk to the car, but we didn't talk about the movie ever again. Usually after watching a movie, we talk about either what was awesome or what was shitty in different moments throughout the evening (whether good or bad).

Scholar
10-19-2013, 02:57 AM
If you guys remember the part where Clooney comes back to Bullock in the space capsule, opens the door & then hops in, but it turns out that it's just Bullock's hallucination, the fact that so many people accepted in the theater that that was plausible bothered me. People actually applauded as Clooney hopped in.
Even though it turned out to be a hallucination for Sandra B, I felt like this movie proved how stupid people are. They simply accepted that it's possible to just hold your breath in space to survive. :facepalm

Rake2204
10-19-2013, 09:26 AM
If you guys remember the part where __________________, the fact that so many people accepted in the theater that that was plausible bothered me. People actually applauded as Clooney hopped in.
Even though it turned out to be______________, I felt like this movie proved how stupid people are. They simply accepted that it's possible to just hold your breath in space to survive. :facepalmThat part was a little disorienting to me. Things were happening left and right and I was trying to follow along then when that happened... it wasn't that I accepted it, I was just sitting and trying to figure it all out. It didn't hit me that it was what it was, but I'd venture to say most of the audience was just trying to figure out how it was so.

Sometimes it's tough for me to come in threads about movies that aim for some sense of realism. They make me feel ignorant. The part you're talking about seemed pretty obvious but to hear some other users here criticize certain space minutiae always makes me wonder, "Did I miss, like, fourteen general ed. astrophysics classes I was supposed to take somewhere along the lines?"

Aside from the part you mentioned, I'm not sure I could have explained or noticed any other real scientific inconsistencies. I mean, I assume the inconsistencies were there, I'm just impressed when it appears so easy for other folks to point them out and criticize the movie for it.

Swaggin916
10-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Rush was better

Agreed. I saw them within days of each other and Gravity was a cool experience and had an intriguing theme, but Rush was magical. It had that Disney like vibe but was rated R with some very graphic scenes. I walked out of the theater feeling like a little kid with a lot of energy wanting to talk about it.

Myth
10-19-2013, 04:00 PM
If you guys remember the part where ------, the fact that so many people accepted in the theater that that was plausible bothered me. People actually applauded as Clooney hopped in.
Even though it turned out to be ----------, I felt like this movie proved how stupid people are. They simply accepted that it's possible to just hold your breath in space to survive. :facepalm

I was so happy that it was a hallucination because the moment he opened the door, she would have been dead without her helmet on.

Vragrant
10-19-2013, 10:01 PM
The movie looks awesome but Im just not a Clooney/Bullock fan. Its kind of preventing me from seeing it.

Myth
10-19-2013, 10:17 PM
The movie looks awesome but Im just not a Clooney/Bullock fan. Its kind of preventing me from seeing it.

I'm not either (in fact, Bullock is somebody I usually avoid movies of), but neither of them are problematic or annoying in the movie. Any complaints of the movie should not come from their acting.

D-Rose
10-19-2013, 10:32 PM
I enjoyed it. Forget all the physics inaccuracies...it was very fast paced and emotionally touching.

Rake2204
10-19-2013, 11:31 PM
I'm not either (in fact, Bullock is somebody I usually avoid movies of), but neither of them are problematic or annoying in the movie. Any complaints of the movie should not come from their acting.I agree. This movie actually improved my position on Bullock. I thought she performed admirably.

ErhnamDjinn
10-19-2013, 11:55 PM
You could've just explained it to me instead of telling me irrelevant stuff.

Just googled it and I'll wait for it on bootleg

It looks like its gonna be like that movie "Open Water" except they're in space
When I watched the trailer open water is actually what I thought of. I might watch this later

I<3NBA
10-20-2013, 12:29 PM
If you guys remember the part where ... the fact that so many people accepted in the theater that that was plausible bothered me. People actually applauded as Clooney hopped in.
Even though it turned out to be ... I felt like this movie proved how stupid people are. They simply accepted that it's possible to just hold your breath in space to survive. :facepalm
that was predictable as hell. i knew what was happening as soon as it started. i almost laughed and spoke out loud that it was a you know what. but i thought fast and figured ppl in the theater would kick my ass for spoiling it for them.

Aside from the part you mentioned, I'm not sure I could have explained or noticed any other real scientific inconsistencies. I mean, I assume the inconsistencies were there, I'm just impressed when it appears so easy for other folks to point them out and criticize the movie for it.
here are some other inconsistencies:

the flaw in Sandra Bullock's character. it's hard to believe NASA would let out someone in space that is: easy to panic, works poorly in zero-gravity (can't believe she forgets to tether tools in space!), and forgets elementary laws of motion under duress (letting the fire extinguisher loose before bracing for the opposite push is just dumb) (i assume they train for this kind of stuff).

George Clooney's character also had a brainfart. being wasteful of his jet pack's propulsion system when he could've just used a tiny amount to correct trajectory and allow momentum to carry them to the Shoyu station. Sandra's initial launch after the debris hit was also kind of unbelievable. she should've been thrown clear off away from earth at hurtling speeds. space is a vacuum, and in a vacuum, there is no friction. no way in hell can energy be diminished without an opposite force to counteract it. the debris that hit them was travelling at enormous speeds. physics dictate that when the debris hit them, part of it's force should transfer to them. there were two scenarios possible. Sandra would hurtle into far space at speeds that would be far too fast for Clooney to catch up, or she would hurtle into earth's atmosphere, get caught by the earth's gravity, and fall into earth. it wasn't possible for her to spin slowly in orbit. the force was enough to knock everyone out of the satellite's orbit.

but as most ppl have said, the physics inconsistencies are not enough to wreck the movie. they're not gamebreaking in any way. the movie was well done enough that it affected the viewer emotionally.

Myth
10-20-2013, 02:04 PM
that was predictable as hell. i knew what was happening as soon as it started. i almost laughed and spoke out loud that it was a you know what. but i thought fast and figured ppl in the theater would kick my ass for spoiling it for them.

here are some other inconsistencies:

the flaw in Sandra Bullock's character. it's hard to believe NASA would let out someone in space that is: easy to panic, works poorly in zero-gravity (can't believe she forgets to tether tools in space!), and forgets elementary laws of motion under duress (letting the fire extinguisher loose before bracing for the opposite push is just dumb) (i assume they train for this kind of stuff).

George Clooney's character also had a brainfart. being wasteful of his jet pack's propulsion system when he could've just used a tiny amount to correct trajectory and allow momentum to carry them to the Shoyu station. Sandra's initial launch after the debris hit was also kind of unbelievable. she should've been thrown clear off away from earth at hurtling speeds. space is a vacuum, and in a vacuum, there is no friction. no way in hell can energy be diminished without an opposite force to counteract it. the debris that hit them was travelling at enormous speeds. physics dictate that when the debris hit them, part of it's force should transfer to them. there were two scenarios possible. Sandra would hurtle into far space at speeds that would be far too fast for Clooney to catch up, or she would hurtle into earth's atmosphere, get caught by the earth's gravity, and fall into earth. it wasn't possible for her to spin slowly in orbit. the force was enough to knock everyone out of the satellite's orbit.

but as most ppl have said, the physics inconsistencies are not enough to wreck the movie. they're not gamebreaking in any way. the movie was well done enough that it affected the viewer emotionally.

There was only 1 scene where the physics were incredibly off that pissed me of (in white): It was when his momentum was going away from Bullock and she was trying to hold on. Either they both slip away or her hooked foot is enough to hold them both in place. They acted like he had weight that continued to pull her.

Vragrant
10-20-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm not either (in fact, Bullock is somebody I usually avoid movies of), but neither of them are problematic or annoying in the movie. Any complaints of the movie should not come from their acting.

Thanks, good to know, I'll keep an open mind and give it a shot since you kind of had the same opinion about them.

I<3NBA
10-20-2013, 10:45 PM
There was only 1 scene where the physics were incredibly off that pissed me of
oh yeah. that too. which is really stupid as it was a major event in the story.

plowking
10-20-2013, 10:59 PM

I didn't have a problem with this. This isn't so much a physics flaw as it is a weird character trait for someone in her position.

George Clooney's character also had a brainfart. being wasteful of his jet pack's propulsion system when he could've just used a tiny amount to correct trajectory and allow momentum to carry them to the Shoyu station.

Again... Fine with this. Working under that much stress, etc. People make mistakes. More a character thing again, then physics being incorrect per se.

Sandra's initial launch after the debris hit was also kind of unbelievable. she should've been thrown clear off away from earth at hurtling speeds. space is a vacuum, and in a vacuum, there is no friction. no way in hell can energy be diminished without an opposite force to counteract it. the debris that hit them was travelling at enormous speeds. physics dictate that when the debris hit them, part of it's force should transfer to them. there were two scenarios possible. Sandra would hurtle into far space at speeds that would be far too fast for Clooney to catch up, or she would hurtle into earth's atmosphere, get caught by the earth's gravity, and fall into earth. it wasn't possible for her to spin slowly in orbit. the force was enough to knock everyone out of the satellite's orbit.

This one bothered me a little, but like you said, it was emotionally engaging enough that you can ignore it.
Same with the scene Myth mentioned. The only two real inconsistencies I can remember. I might have missed some since I was really into the movie. Thought it was great at building suspense.

Legends66NBA7
10-20-2013, 11:02 PM
It's overrated in terms of how people are talking about it and how it's viewed critically. Still a good movie, but not THAT good.