PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone give me their opinion on the Vermont/New Hampshire/ Maine Area?

SourPatchKids
10-10-2013, 01:56 AM
Thinking about applying to colleges in this area.

Dartmouth is my number one choice but obviously that's a big stretch. I've heard good things about UVH and UNH though.

So what's the lo-down of the northeast guys?

OldSkoolball#52
10-10-2013, 01:59 AM
To definitively assess your chances of liking vermont/new hampshire/maine we must first know one thing:

Are you white?

RomeoLuvCasanova
10-10-2013, 02:29 AM
Not the most social action outside of the college scene. Pretty miserable winters.

SourPatchKids
10-10-2013, 02:30 AM
To definitively assess your chances of liking vermont/new hampshire/maine we must first know one thing:

Are you white?

no

Balla_Status
10-10-2013, 06:00 AM
Do they even have good looking women up there? Just curious.

Thorpesaurous
10-10-2013, 07:33 AM
The area is gorgeous. If you like Hiking, which I do, it's a great place to visit. I don't ski or snowboard, but if you do, it's generally considered a pretty underrated area worldwide. I have a friend who moved here from Utah, and says it's as good as most spots out there.

My friends who went to school up there all loved it. It is a little dry outside of the campuses, but that usually just makes the campuses that much more fun. I had fun all the times I visited.

But if you're looking for a wider range of experiences, it's probably not the place for you. And as far as girls go, you'll find girls at pretty much any college you go to. Outside of maybe UCLA or Miami, or a handfull of other beautifull people type schools, girls aren't really a determining factor from school to school.

rufuspaul
10-10-2013, 08:43 AM
I have a summer place on the southern Maine coast. It's quite serene and beautiful in the summer. Winters can get bleak. Several family members and friends went to Bowdoin College and really enjoyed the experience. I worked there one summer. Nice campus but small.

One plus is that wherever you are in New England you're only a few hours away from Boston and New York, which can make for some great weekend trips.

kNicKz
10-10-2013, 09:18 AM
Very cold winters. Pretty spring and fall. A lot of massholes though out and about honking every half second and riding half an inch off your bumper. UVM is very far up North. I'd say UNH is probably the better school.

MavsSuperFan
10-10-2013, 09:56 AM
If you are into white women, yes.
if you are not into white women, no.

rufuspaul
10-10-2013, 11:51 AM
I saw a good looking chick in Maine once. Turns out she was visiting from North Carolina. :lol

KevinNYC
10-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm going up to boston this weekend. I created a dating profile to see if I could find someone who would let me and my friend crash to try and save money. The drop off in women from here in dc to there is incredible. It's inexplicable.
Drop off in number?

Drop off in quality?

Drop off in those who will let you and a friend crash at their house?

kNicKz
10-10-2013, 01:42 PM

no

rufuspaul
10-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Pretty much this.

Pros:
- Small schools
- Awesome wilderness, oceans, mountains, skiing, national/state parks
- No traffic at all
- Cheap
- You could probably make any sports team since the schools are D2, D3, etc.
- There are some cute girls, and they'd be interesting to you since you're not from here. They bore me.
- Snow days
- NYC, Boston, Montreal are all less than 6 hours away.
- If it matters to you, Maine people can get medical marijuana.

Cons:
- The whitest part of the country. If you want multicultural people, or culture in general, you'll be surrounded by blandness. Although there are more asians at colleges than other minorities.
- Winter. Cold enough to wear jackets from Halloween to April, unless you're used to it.
- Snow/driving in snow if you're not used to it.
- Lack of stuff to do, i.e. clubs, music, comedy. You're pretty isolated.
- Gets dark at 4:30pm
- Lots of hicks, but you won't be overwhelmed on the campus or anything.
- Lack of interesting food.

I live here, so ask more questions if you have any.

That's getting better though imo. The Portland area has been a foodie haven for a few years now and it's starting to spread out to the surrounding areas.

dkmwise
10-13-2013, 02:30 AM
SourPatch, If you have any serious questions about UVM or other colleges in the area let me know, I went to St Michaels College right near UVM and wife wife works for UVM and takes grad classes there.

UVM is a very good school, especially for medical degrees, St Mikes also very good school just a lot smaller.

Burlington is the best college city IMO. So many bars in the same concentrated area so can walk from one to another so easily and all college kids there.
Outside burlington not much in the area except for hiking, snowboarding, etc. Only 3 hours to Boston and 1 1/2 hours to Montreal. Montreal is one of most interesting and unique cities in north america, very european vibe and great for college kids cause drinking age 18.