PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce vs. James Worthy

Lebron23
10-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Who's the better overall player? Both won a Finals MVP in their NBA Career.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/tumblr_luzjb61GJI1qhna7uo1_400.jpg

http://boston.sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/paul-pierce.jpg

Duranthebest
10-10-2013, 05:26 AM
Don't insult me LeBron23.

salwan
10-10-2013, 05:33 AM
da truth :rockon:

Xiao Yao You
10-10-2013, 06:43 AM
Pierce

BoutPractice
10-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Worthy is much better than given credit for, he simply played for a stacked team from the start. He was not just the guy on the receiving end of Magic's passes.

He was an offensive beast with a deadly post game who could create quality shots for himself in a variety of ways. He also significantly raised his game in the playoffs, averaging around or over 24 ppg in 3 long playoff runs (including the 1987 title run, where he led the team in scoring even though Magic had been the scoring leader in the regular season).

His big weakness when compared to Paul Pierce is longevity, not level of play.

La Frescobaldi
10-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Worthy is much better than given credit for, he simply played for a stacked team from the start. He was not just the guy on the receiving end of Magic's passes.

He was an offensive beast with a deadly post game who could create quality shots for himself in a variety of ways. He also significantly raised his game in the playoffs, averaging around or over 24 ppg in 3 long playoff runs (including the 1987 title run, where he led the team in scoring even though Magic had been the scoring leader in the regular season).

His big weakness when compared to Paul Pierce is longevity, not level of play.

Yeah. Showtime ain't Showtime without Worthy and they don't win all those championships without Worthy.

And it's not like the Celtics weren't pretty well stacked too this past half decade (tho not to the level of those '80s Lakers by any means)

TheBigVeto
10-10-2013, 06:59 PM
PP is better. But Worthy is great too.

scm5
10-10-2013, 07:18 PM
I love Worthy but I would prefer my SF to be able to shoot.

Greg Oden 50
10-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Worthy Of Coz

L.Kizzle
10-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Worthy was the #1 pick for a reason.

His 30/10/10 game in the Finals is what he would look like if not for playing with Magic, Kareem, Scott, Cooper, Green, ect.

L.Kizzle
10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
If Worthy is on those 80s Nugget squads, he's dropping 25-30 a night just like English.

tontoz
10-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Worthy was a great fit on those Showtime Lakers and might be a better fit on many fast paced teams, but he did not have the offensive arsenal that Pierce does. PP gets on my last nerve with his flopping/acting but he has elite skills.

PP scored significantly more with better efficiency. Worthy had no 3 pt shot and a weak jumper overall.

Bigsmoke
10-11-2013, 12:07 AM

His 30/10/10 game in the Finals is what he would look like if not for playing with Magic, Kareem, Scott, Cooper, Green, ect.

U just dont like Pierce.
Pierce >

gts
10-11-2013, 12:21 AM
How many in this thread actually watched Worthy play? Both great players but Worthy is the better player.

gts
10-11-2013, 12:22 AM
PP scored significantly more with better efficiency.

no he didn't

PP career 21 ppg on 44%
JW 18 on 52%

Legends66NBA7
10-11-2013, 12:31 AM
no he didn't

PP career 21 ppg on 44%
JW 18 on 52%

I think he's talking about TS%.

gts
10-11-2013, 12:38 AM
I think he's talking about TS%. less than 1% difference not even worth discussing. Although I'm sure Dmavs could stretch it into an extra 30 posts...lol

Legends66NBA7
10-11-2013, 01:05 AM
less than 1% difference not even worth discussing. Although I'm sure Dmavs could stretch it into an extra 30 posts...lol

Yeah, it's pretty close efficiency between them. One showcased what he could on a good, medicore or non-playoff team for a long stretch, while Worthy didn't really have that chance to showcase and he only played a few more season after Magic retired.

I think it's does show case they do have different skill sets from their shooting splits. Both have great footwork and Pierce has more range, while worthy could run much better and attack the rim.

magnax1
10-11-2013, 01:15 AM

Yeah.... no way....
Wouldn't be surprised if he scored a bit less than 25 ppg, but he wouldn't be shooting 55+% either. His greatest gift was definitely his transition scoring.

Duranthebest
10-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Yeah, it's pretty close efficiency between them. One showcased what he could on a good, medicore or non-playoff team for a long stretch, while Worthy didn't really have that chance to showcase and he only played a few more season after Magic retired.

I think it's does show case they do have different skill sets from their shooting splits. Both have great footwork and Pierce has more range, while worthy could run much better and attack the rim.

I swear people didn't start watching the Celtics until 08 :facepalm

Are you really suggesting that Pierce couldn't run or attack the rim? No way in hell was Worthy a better runner or better at attacking the rim than Paul Pierce. Pierce was/is one of the best finishers in the league.

Greg Oden 50
10-11-2013, 07:41 AM
pp is overrated

wakencdukest
10-11-2013, 07:57 PM

Are you really suggesting that Pierce couldn't run or attack the rim? No way in hell was Worthy a better runner or better at attacking the rim than Paul Pierce. Pierce was/is one of the best finishers in the league.

Did you ever watch Worthy play? He was a gazelle in the open court, and he was one of the best ever at attacking the rim. Worthy played way bigger than Pierce at small forward. There weren't many power forwards who could stop Worthy from getting to the rim. Pierce is a great player, but Worthy was bigger and faster.

CelticBaller
10-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Pierce

Legends66NBA7
10-11-2013, 08:30 PM

I've watched Pierce's entire prime and I never suggested he couldn't run or attack the rim. Worthy is better than him in that regard, though.

HomieWeMajor
10-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Paul pierce
James Worthy -Magic Johnson= Jeff Green without the outside shooting

bizil
10-11-2013, 09:14 PM
I think I would roll with Pierce career wise and peak value wise. But in my book, its closer than what many think. Pierce is one of the top 10 GOAT SF's while Big Game James in my book is more in the top 15 SF's. Stylistically, PP was more of a swingman while Big Game was a SF-PF. Both of their all around games are underrated. Big Game defended SG-PF pretty good and allowed Magic to defend the weaker scoring threats. PP had point forward capabilities as as SF and was a very good- great rebounder for a SF. I think both have alpha dog capabilities. If James had to be a number one option, I think he would give u 25-27 a night. But all in all, I would take Pierce. With these two, it MIGHT actually come down to what u need. They are two different players and James could play the PF spot. But I don't think Big James doesn't get enough credit for being a combo forward who revolutionized the game athletically. I don't recall any 6'9 to 6'10 forwards who ran the court and dominated in transition like Worthy. He was different than the other great SF's in his era like Bird, Aguirre, English, King, Dantley, Kiki, etc. He was a freak athlete like Doc and Nique, but he had 2-3 inches on them.

secund2nun
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Didn't watch Worthy so I can't say, but Pierce is a little overrated because of the power of the Boston market and tradition combined with the finals MVP that KG should have actually won.

bizil
10-11-2013, 09:24 PM
And keep in mind with James that he has a legit claim to being one of the top five finishers in transition EVER for SF's, a top five postup threat EVER at SF, and a top five slasher at SF EVER! I think James along with Nique both have a claim for that!

bizil
10-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Didn't watch Worthy so I can't say, but Pierce is a little overrated because of the power of the Boston market and tradition combined with the finals MVP that KG should have actually won.

That's a fair argument. But I don't think Pierce is overrated frankly. Most people who know bball well have him usually in the 8 to 10 range for GOAT SF's. And he was to me CLEARLY the second greatest SF in the 2000s after Bron based on his resume. Peak value and GOAT status are two different things. When u look at Pierce's game skill wise or technical aspect wise, he doesn't have any holes AT ALL! His TOTAL SCORING SKILLSET is likely one of the top five EVER at SF! Right with guys such as Bird, Melo, Aguirre, Durant, and Rick Barry.

bizil
10-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I've watched Pierce's entire prime and I never suggested he couldn't run or attack the rim. Worthy is better than him in that regard, though.

Agreed! Dr. J, Bron, Nique, Worthy, Baylor, Hawkins, are as good as it gets for SF's at that. All six were known to FLAT OUT DOMINATE a game doing that. G Hill, Bernard King, and Pippen were beasts as well at SF in that realm

Shep
10-11-2013, 10:39 PM
pierce. small forwards also better than worthy:

paul arizin
cliff hagan
shawn marion

Quizno
10-11-2013, 10:49 PM

paul arizin
cliff hagan
shawn marion
you saw those guys play? :oldlol:

L.Kizzle
10-11-2013, 10:49 PM

paul arizin
cliff hagan
shawn marion
Shawn Marion?

:biggums:

Shep
10-11-2013, 11:39 PM
you saw those guys play?
yes

Shawn Marion?
yes

Duranthebest
10-12-2013, 12:07 AM
That's a fair argument. But I don't think Pierce is overrated frankly. Most people who know bball well have him usually in the 8 to 10 range for GOAT SF's. And he was to me CLEARLY the second greatest SF in the 2000s after Bron based on his resume. Peak value and GOAT status are two different things. When u look at Pierce's game skill wise or technical aspect wise, he doesn't have any holes AT ALL! His TOTAL SCORING SKILLSET is likely one of the top five EVER at SF! Right with guys such as Bird, Melo, Aguirre, Durant, and Rick Barry.

Position doesn't matter, Pierce has one of the greatest skillsets ever.

bizil
10-12-2013, 05:35 AM
Position doesn't matter, Pierce has one of the greatest skillsets ever.

I agree with u and know position doesn't matter. Pierce and Worthy are both small forwards so I was speaking in context of SF's.