PDA

View Full Version : Bill Walton = Idiot?

bokes15
02-23-2007, 11:56 PM
I like Bill Walton, and think he's a funny guy, but this statement just devalued him as a commentator.

Bill: "Rafael Araujo has worked himself into a good NBA player. It started in Toronto and it has continued here in Utah."

What does it take to be a good NBA player these days? A 2 point, 2 rebound a game average? lol, if you don't know anything about the player, don't say he's good. By those standards, almost anyone who touches the court for at least 10 minutes a game is a good NBA player.

Xsatyr
02-23-2007, 11:59 PM
^ As stupid as that is, that is not even top ten for quotes to prove Bill Walton is mentally retarded when it comes to basketball knowledge.

Done_And_Done
02-24-2007, 12:00 AM
With all due respect you will not see Rafael Araujo in the NBA in 3 years... Book it!

Hopefully Luke was refering to his work ethic because theres no denying that Hoffa does indeed put effort out there {Which is a reason as to why I didnt excessivley bash him as many did while he played in Toronto} but some players just have it and some dont... Araujo just isn't NBA type quality, im sorry.

bokes15
02-24-2007, 12:02 AM
^ As stupid as that is, that is not even top ten for quotes to prove Bill Walton is mentally retarded when it comes to basketball knowledge.
agreed. sometimes I wonder if he's really serious when he says this stuff, or if he just likes the sound of his own voice.

ElPigto
02-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Overhere in Rocketland, everyone, from Sportsradio down to Bullard and Bill, they love taking jabs at Bill Walton. Most Houston fans, don't like him, I know I don't.

I don't like his sarcasm nor his wit, and he bores the hell out of me.

Xsatyr
02-24-2007, 12:04 AM
I honestly think he just does not know what he is talking about and is just talking for the sake of talking. Thats why I like John Barry who pokes at him during games every time Walton says something stupid.

Xsatyr
02-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Overhere in Rocketland, everyone, from Sportsradio down to Bullard and Bill, they love taking jabs at Bill Walton. Most Houston fans, don't like him, I know I don't.

I don't like his sarcasm nor his wit, and he bores the hell out of me.

Thats why we have John Barry sitting next to him, to say the things we would to him. John Barry has that clever way of rubbing it in when Walton says something stupid.

The Italian
02-24-2007, 12:07 AM
What are some other idiotic things that he has said?

ElPigto
02-24-2007, 12:08 AM
Generally I'd be glad to contribute the idiotic things he says, but most of the time I forget what he says in order to enjoy the game, otherwise I'd be angry throughout the game.

bokes15
02-24-2007, 12:08 AM

This is off-topic, but did you and Nash=Best lose a bet or something? That's the only reason I can think of why both of you would have this avatar.

NASH = BEST
02-24-2007, 12:12 AM

A few years ago when the Lakers had Shaq, Kobe, GP, and Malone, he said they were going to go 82 & 0 :oldlol: That's when I stop paying attention to what that bufoon from UCLA said.

Bill Walton = Idiot

just like

NASH = BEST

Xsatyr
02-24-2007, 12:16 AM
A few years ago when the Lakers had Shaq, Kobe, GP, and Malone, he said they were going to go 82 & 0 :oldlol: That's when I stop paying attention to what that bufoon from UCLA said.

Bill Walton = Idiot

just like

NASH = BEST

Bill Walton is an idiot just like Nash=Best? I know he makes stupid comments but damn, come one now, lets not compare him to Nash=Best!
:D

Yeah I know thats not what you meant but thats how it looks! :)

bokes15
02-24-2007, 12:16 AM
I found a website that was specifically dedicated to Walton Quotes, however, it doesn't really have many of his idiotic ones, just his exaggerations. If I could remember specifically each one, it'd be a long list, but anyways, here are a the ones from the site.
http://billwalton0.tripod.com/

Updated: Wednesday, February 11th 2004

"That was the worst execution of the fast break in the history of the Trail Blazer franchise"

-- Bill Walton, after the Blazers failed to convert a 3 on 1 fast break. 4.13.2003

"Stroke it, big man!"

--Bill Walton, referring to Arvydas Sabonis as he nails a jumper. 4.13.2003

"What balance What on court-awareness!"

--Bill Walton, as Shaq tiptoes the baseline and saves the possession. 4.20.2003

"Maurice Cheeks has seen enough the inability to complete the simplest of plays."

--Bill Walton after Portland calls yet another timeout against Dallas. 4.25.2003

"You might wanna guard him..."

--Bill Walton, as Dirk Nowitzki nails another three point jumper. 4.25.2003

"Flip Saunders throws up his hands in exasperated dismay!"

--Bill Walton, after a phantom foul call against Wally Szczerbiak. 4.27.2003

"How long do these hockey games last?"

-- Bill Walton, because the basketball game is getting pre-empted by a hockey game going into a third overtime. 5.2.2003

"All Don Nelson can do is shake his head and ask what has happened to our once beautiful team?" --Bill Walton, as Portland dismantles Dallas. 5.2.2003

"What a palace this is."

-- Bill Walton, referring to the Rose Garden. 5.2.2003

"This Portland team is nothing more than a band of pranksters."

-- Bill Walton, as the Blazers are defeated in Game 7 of their playoff series. 5.4.2003

"Show some respect to this living legend, this hall of famer...Arvydas Sabonis."

--Bill Walton, as Sabonis makes a nice play. 5.4.2003

"Sabonis is the epitome of competitive greatness."

-- Bill Walton, on Arvydas Sabonis. 5.4.2003

"You're soft."

-- Bill Walton, to Tom Tolbert 5.4.2003

"A huge Chinese population here in... Houston."

-- Bill Walton, making a comment on Yao Ming 1.21.2004

"He had everything, he had... a doll."

-- Bill Walton, on Penny Hardaways fall from prominence 1.21.2004

"He even flew in his hairdresser, Celeste, so not only does Jermaine ONeal look pretty, hes looking to play pretty tonight."

-- Bill Walton, after Jermaine ONeal hits a jumper 1.23.2004

"Goodness gracious sakes alive."

-- Bill Walton, after an apparent foul goes uncalled. 1.30.2004

"You tower over Allen Iverson yourself, you could post him up."

-- Bill Walton, to Brent Musberger. 2.1.2004

"He's been working out in the off-season, on that incredible computer generated body he has."

-- Bill Walton, on Kevin Garnett. 2.1.2004

"Jack up a three Spree!"

-- Bill Walton, as Latrell Sprewell passes the ball off in the midst of a TWolves run. 2.1.2004

"Look at Horace's shoes, arent they a thing of beauty?"

-- Bill Walton, on Horace Grants multi-colored sneakers. 2.4.2004

"Shaq with the monster throwdown, the basket just reverberating."

-- Bill Walton, after a big Shaq dunk. 2.4.2004

"Never let your legends go."

-- Bill Walton, on Shaquille ONeal, whose Lakers beat the Magic earlier in the day. 2.8.2004

"The only thing he is worth is another teams mistake. This guy has ruined every situation he has been in. This is a classic underachiever."

-- Bill Walton, on Rasheed Wallace. 2.8.2004

"You look at Vladimir Radmanovic, this guy is cut from stone. As if Michelangelo was reading and a lightening bolt flashed before him."

-- Bill Walton, 2.8.2004

"Yeah now that's basketball there, jack up a three in transition!"

-- Bill Walton, as the Blazers and Sonics exchange missed three point shot attempts. 2.8.2004

"It does'nt get any better than that!"

-- Bill Walton, after a confused Trail Blazers team throws up a wild shot to end the first half. 2.8.2004

"Not a critic, just a reporter of facts"

-- Bill Walton, after Brent Musberger teased him about his criticism of Rasheed Wallace. 2.8.2004

"Its a critical game, the battle for 10th place!"

-- Bill Walton, on the Portland-Seattle game. 2.8.2004

"Jeff Van Gundy cannot believe this!"

-- Bill Walton, then a camera immediately catches a shot of a relaxed Van Gundy. 2.11.2004

"You talk about Shaq as a ballerina, what a pirouette from Yao!"

-- Bill Walton, as Ming twists in the lane. 2.11.2004

bokes15
02-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Bill Walton is an idiot just like Nash=Best? I know he makes stupid comments but damn, come one now, lets not compare him to Nash=Best!
:D

Yeah I know thats not what you meant but thats how it looks! :)
:applause: ouch

DatZNasty
02-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Anyone who takes Bill seriously should look up the words hyperbole, exxageration, and sarcasm. Bill just has a way of being 100% joking and saying it with a totally serious tone and even facial expression. It's a gift really

DaHeezy
02-24-2007, 12:18 AM
This isn't new news.

yobore
02-24-2007, 12:25 AM
lol "[deron] really redid his body over the summer. He was 207 and he went this summer and came back the exact same 207, but he worked with John Stockton on his game." or something like that

bigkingsfan
02-24-2007, 12:30 AM
He's freaken hilarious, I like to fall asleep to sports talk but it's impossible while Bill is doing his segment.

different107
02-24-2007, 12:46 AM
bill walton makes weird statements all the time

DatZNasty
02-24-2007, 12:51 AM
lol "[deron] really redid his body over the summer. He was 207 and he went this summer and came back the exact same 207, but he worked with John Stockton on his game." or something like that
that wasn't Bill who said that but yea I was WTF at that too. More than likely, he burned some fat off and replaced it with muscle.

Se
02-24-2007, 12:53 AM
You uys are all morons and don't understand the comedic brilliance of Walton. He is clearly mocking Hoffa... he often mocks junk players by giving them fake praise.

The Italian
02-24-2007, 12:55 AM
This is off-topic, but did you and Nash=Best lose a bet or something? That's the only reason I can think of why both of you would have this avatar.

I picked the East to win the all-star game that is why I have this avy.

ElPigto
02-24-2007, 01:35 AM
[QUOTE=Se

bokes15
02-24-2007, 02:20 AM
[QUOTE=Se

AppleNader
02-24-2007, 02:23 AM
you should've listened to Bill do the US National Team games this summer. Wow was that unbearable, even moreso than usual

thekavorka
02-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Bill Walton is awesome. I love his unnecessary exaggerations. It also seems like he has a 10 second memory when it comes to a players peformance in a game.

With that said, he's pretty knowledgeable about the history of the game, current events, and pop culture.

wally_world
02-24-2007, 03:02 AM
he said Steve Blake played like Steve Nash fer god's sake! screw him!

johndough
02-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Anyone who takes Bill seriously should look up the words hyperbole, exxageration, and sarcasm. Bill just has a way of being 100% joking and saying it with a totally serious tone and even facial expression. It's a gift really

Exactly.Alot of the sh!t he says is 'tongue in cheek'

Xsatyr
02-24-2007, 03:42 AM
I just saw this on tv, I am pretty sure everyone else has seen it. Bill Walton said Dennis Johsnon did not die from a heart heart attack but instead of a broken heart for not being selected in the HOF. It was just weird the way he said it bc of his tone of voice and he always looks like he wants to smile.

mid80sjordan
02-24-2007, 07:17 AM
I love Bill Walton as a color guy. Of course most of the s hit he says is out there, but you can't act like he doesn't know what the nba is about. and sabonis is a hall of famer. and most of those quotes have nothing wrong with them. bill walton 4lyfe

mountaingoat
02-24-2007, 08:06 AM
don't forget, "the _____ crowd, rising as one..."

Howard5Dirk41
02-24-2007, 08:08 AM
How many ****ing times do people need to be told that Bill Walton is just doing a bit.

My god people, listen. Hes not being serious, hes trying to be funny

bokes15
02-24-2007, 11:15 AM
How many ****ing times do people need to be told that Bill Walton is just doing a bit.

My god people, listen. Hes not being series, hes trying to be funny

He's not getting paid to "do a bit." If that's the case, why not hire Chris Rock to do color commentary?

ElPigto
02-24-2007, 01:12 PM

My god people, listen. Hes not being series, hes trying to be funny

I don't care if he isn't being serious. I figured that out a lot time ago. Point is I don't like Bill Walton.

It's amazing how some people in these boards take it as an insult for one not to like his "wonderful" color commentary.

Psileas
02-24-2007, 04:28 PM
"Show some respect to this living legend, this hall of famer...Arvydas Sabonis."

--Bill Walton, as Sabonis makes a nice play. 5.4.2003

"Sabonis is the epitome of competitive greatness."

-- Bill Walton, on Arvydas Sabonis. 5.4.2003

Maybe the timing was bad, but, apart from this, nothing really dumb here.

DreamRockets
02-24-2007, 04:30 PM
i think walton in his healthy season COULD (emphasis there) be argued as the greatest center ever, and those who saw his 77-79 seasons will know this isnt far-fetched.

bokes15
02-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Maybe the timing was bad, but, apart from this, nothing really dumb here.

That list was made by a Bill Walton fan. He put down only the quotes that he thought were good. There are endless quotes that, had they been recorded, been infinitely worse than any of the one's quoted.

GoRapz
02-24-2007, 04:37 PM
He also said the Raps have no depth. :oldlol:

Horde of Temujin
02-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Bill Walton is not that bad, what do you guys want? To listen to tight a@@es like Bob Costas and Doug Collins all day. He brings something different.

Rebel INS
02-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Give the guy a break, you will never see a person more humble than him. That's why i respect him even though his comments are outrageous sometimes.

The Italian
02-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't mind listening to him either. He is entertaining but some of the things that he says are annoying. He doesn't bother me though.

dirkdiggler41
02-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Bill Walton got a great basketball IQ. Better then us at ish. He has played with some of the best players there has ever been. He has been in the basketball world a long and it is his life. He talks to players and tell them what to do, not on court, but at living. Ex. telling LeBron (when he came out of highschool) that he should go with the people who is already there money wise. Carter for ex. had a his agent rip him of

Bill Walton is great. He says a lot of great thinks in non ironic way. Most of them 10x times better then most color commentators

TheBigAristotle1
02-24-2007, 06:15 PM
If you don't like Bill Walton then **** You.

Solid Snake
02-24-2007, 08:14 PM
I love Bill Walton, but I do understand when people who don't like him criticize him then get insulted by fans of his feel like.

That's analogous to me calling Mulholland Drive and Donnie Darko nothing more than mediocre movies, and then fans telling me, "no no no, it's because your dumb ass didn't understand it, it makes you think!"

No dumb ass, I did understand it, I simply didn't like it. If those movies make you think, you must not think very often, or not read much.

Howard5Dirk41
02-24-2007, 09:06 PM
He's not getting paid to "do a bit." If that's the case, why not hire Chris Rock to do color commentary?

Idiot

pete's montreux
02-24-2007, 09:11 PM
I love Bill Walton, but I do understand when people who don't like him criticize him then get insulted by fans of his feel like.

That's analogous to me calling Mulholland Drive and Donnie Darko nothing more than mediocre movies, and then fans telling me, "no no no, it's because your dumb ass didn't understand it, it makes you think!"

No dumb ass, I did understand it, I simply didn't like it. If those movies make you think, you must not think very often, or not read much.

No, no, no! Nash does play defense! He plays it with his:

MIND

Kujo
02-24-2007, 09:12 PM
I liked when used to do games with Steve "Snapper" Jones, and Jones would always poke jabs at Walton, much the same way Barry does now.

Solid Snake
02-24-2007, 09:13 PM
No, no, no! Nash does play defense! He plays it with his:

MIND

lol did you mean to quote someone else? :confusedshrug:

Either way what you said was funny though, just kinda confused why you quoted me lol.

pete's montreux
02-24-2007, 09:19 PM
lol did you mean to quote someone else? :confusedshrug:

Either way what you said was funny though, just kinda confused why you quoted me lol.

I was only cleverly mocking what you said other people say about movies, only I incorporated it to the NBA ala NASH=BEST style.

Solid Snake
02-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Lol sorry I'm just not thinking straight, at work now, with little sleep :(

gts
02-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Lol sorry I'm just not thinking straight, at work now, with little sleep :( well just make sure you don't push the red button by accident and all will be fine...

Solid Snake
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
will do :)

Who'sKobe
02-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Bill thinks Gary Payton can be the best player on any given night on the floor. :rollingeyes:

Solid Snake
02-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Bill thinks Gary Payton can be the best player on any given night on the floor. :rollingeyes:

The accuracy of that comment would depend on what year the Walton has uttered that statement. Before 2003, it would've been true.

Who'sKobe
02-24-2007, 11:23 PM
The accuracy of that comment would depend on what year the Walton has uttered that statement. Before 2003, it would've been true.

Try 4 years later, when the Heat played the Rockets 4 days ago.

theanwser
02-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I was watching a game an Walton was talking about the all-star weekend about the rookie/sophomore challenge. And he said something among the lines, "OH man Deron Williams and Luther Head were playing like they've been playing for years." the other commentator replied, "Well, they played for Illinois?" Yeah, Walton was completely clueless. Hence, he ='s an idiot

samy568
02-25-2007, 12:33 AM
"You look at Vladimir Radmanovic, this guy is cut from stone. As if Michelangelo was reading and a lightening bolt flashed before him."

-- Bill Walton, 2.8.2004

Love this one :D

bokes15
02-26-2007, 03:45 AM
Idiot
I'm sorry. Allow me to improve upon my previous dumb comment and say something that reaches your immense level of intelligence.

Dirk=God
Mavs=Best

:hammerhead:

johndeeregreen
02-26-2007, 04:03 AM
"The great thing is that the fate of the Western Civilization is decided every day with a jump ball, and that's why basketball is the world's greatest game."

JtotheIzzo
02-26-2007, 04:25 AM
I like Bill Walton, and think he's a funny guy, but this statement just devalued him as a commentator.

Bill: "Rafael Araujo has worked himself into a good NBA player. It started in Toronto and it has continued here in Utah."

What does it take to be a good NBA player these days? A 2 point, 2 rebound a game average? lol, if you don't know anything about the player, don't say he's good. By those standards, almost anyone who touches the court for at least 10 minutes a game is a good NBA player.

Bill did too much acid in his day and now it has falked with his brain.

I used to hate him and when he was paired with Snapper Jones the games were unwatchable.

Now I find him more cute than anything else as American sports broadcasting has become about the broadcaster and not the game. Bill fits into this new world better.

Howard5Dirk41
02-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm sorry. Allow me to improve upon my previous dumb comment and say something that reaches your immense level of intelligence.

Dirk=God
Mavs=Best

:hammerhead:

The only idiot is you if you dont know Bill Waltons bit yet, hes been doing it forever.

Ethier that or you're 12 years old.

Horde of Temujin
02-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Shaq grabs the rebound, steamrolling down the floor full speed, Iverson jumps out the way at last second, Shaq scores

Alleeen, be a man, take the charge.

About Rick Fox.

Come on Rick you think youre a superstar you already have two of those, know your role, role player.

(Sorry not exact quotations, couldnt find them)
I love that guy.

jamesalan9
02-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Bill Walton=communist

hon
12-13-2012, 06:11 AM
http://4.media.tumblr.com/CbfLqxdmeog5z1wlC6Y3W2oto1_500.png

Original...

A hipster before it was even a thing...

12-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I think Stephen A Smith's reaction speaks for most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXgdpR3a2L4