PDA

View Full Version : Top European teams vs. top NBA teams

fandarko
10-11-2013, 01:26 AM
There have been debates here on the same subject.

One of the top teams in Europe CSKA Moscow has beaten the Wolves in Minny and barely lost to the Spurs.

The Russian team's point guard Milos Teodosic BTW looked a million times better than Rubio, posting 26/9/5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rWodHdad2k0

The Spurs are the NBA finalists. Both teams are in preparation phase. There are at least 8-12 teams in the Euroleague at the level of CSKA.

Hence, I conclude that the top teams of Euroleague (not Fenerbahce Ulker, because they are definitively not among the top teams) can play on par with the best NBA teams.

On another note, remember when every once in while, on the eve of a major international championship (the Worlds or the Olympics), people on this forum say "Why don't we just send a NBA team there, they would kill everyone"?

I always felt it was ridiculous - other than the very best teams (Spurs, Heat, OKC) - NBA teams can't compete with the top world teams, because the latter are basically all-star national teams.

While I don't dispute the fact that NBA>>Euroleague, I think that people in the USA often don't realize that the top European teams are very close.

magnax1
10-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Meh. MLS teams do the same things to European club teams.

gabepizza
10-11-2013, 06:58 AM

One of the top teams in Europe CSKA Moscow has beaten the Wolves in Minny and barely lost to the Spurs.

The Russian team's point guard Milos Teodosic BTW looked a million times better than Rubio, posting 26/9/5 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rWodHdad2k0

The Spurs are the NBA finalists. Both teams are in preparation phase. There are at least 8-12 teams in the Euroleague at the level of CSKA.

Hence, I conclude that the top teams of Euroleague (not Fenerbahce Ulker, because they are definitively not among the top teams) can play on par with the best NBA teams.

On another note, remember when every once in while, on the eve of a major international championship (the Worlds or the Olympics), people on this forum say "Why don't we just send a NBA team there, they would kill everyone"?

I always felt it was ridiculous - other than the very best teams (Spurs, Heat, OKC) - NBA teams can't compete with the top world teams, because the latter are basically all-star national teams.

While I don't dispute the fact that NBA>>Euroleague, I think that people in the USA often don't realize that the top European teams are very close.

I'm not going to get in the back and forth with this discussion again I just want to point out the CSKA has been to the Euroleague Final Four 2 years in a row so I don't think you can claim that there are 8-12 teams in the Europe at their level, that's like saying there are 8-12 teams in the NBA at the level of the Spurs.

And again the record of Euroleague teams vs NBA teams for the past 10 years has been 10-42.

shallehalle
10-11-2013, 07:40 AM
TOP Euroleague teams might win one or two games against TOP NBA teams in a 7 game series if played by FIBA rules, but only a slim chance to win ONE game if played by NBA rules.

Unbiased_one
10-11-2013, 07:51 AM

They're all friendlies...how can you possibly read into that. In football chelsea lost to some random 3rd division Croatian team a few years IN THE PRESEASON but we obviously don't regard that as evidence that that team is better that Chelsea.

Here are the facts...in the only official international club competition, an nba team has won every time one entered. In Olympic play, the USA has won virtually every time, and mostly comfortably. The teams they have struggled against have almost invariably been led by other nba players.

Moreover, Greece lost to Nigeria in a competitive match. This same Nigerian team then lost by 80 points to a USA team that could have piled on way more than it did...but even disregarding that latter point, the margin in that game was 15 points higher than the higher point margin in NBA history...and Greece lost to that team.

And the poster Euroleague just harms the reputation of the euroleague, which is a really good competitive league, by saying that Spanoulis, a player who was beyond awful in the NBA, is one of the greatest players ever in the euroleague

Unbiased_one
10-11-2013, 07:56 AM
One final point to make about that spurs game...it wasn't really the spurs playing. The top minutes for a spurs player was Aron Baynes, who likely won't even make their rotation this year. The starters averaged less than 20 minutes. The CSKA starters averaged 32 minutes. CSKA used 10 players, all of whom will play for them competitively most likely. The spurs used 15, of whom 10 will play this season most likely; two people who played for the spurs in that game have already been cut.

fandarko
10-11-2013, 10:12 AM
One final point to make about that spurs game...it wasn't really the spurs playing. The top minutes for a spurs player was Aron Baynes, who likely won't even make their rotation this year. The starters averaged less than 20 minutes. The CSKA starters averaged 32 minutes. CSKA used 10 players, all of whom will play for them competitively most likely. The spurs used 15, of whom 10 will play this season most likely; two people who played for the spurs in that game have already been cut.

Well, you could also argue that the CSKA team wasn't in full gear either, regardless of their starters playing, they are still not in full league mode.

The point being that, while it was beyond imagination 20 years ago, today's top European team can compete on par with top NBA teams. They'd probably lose against the best (Heat, Spurs, OKC) most of the time, but I'm not sure it would be the case a bunch of low-tier NBA teams.

gabepizza
10-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Also you say that Fenerbahce Ulker is not a top team which may be true but let's wait and see. Last year they were a Top 16 team and they added Linas Kleiza which would not mean much in the NBA but in Euroleague he is an All-Euroleague 1st teamer and scoring champion.

Euroleague
10-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Also you say that Fenerbahce Ulker is not a top team which may be true but let's wait and see. Last year they were a Top 16 team and they added Linas Kleiza which would not mean much in the NBA but in Euroleague he is an All-Euroleague 1st teamer and scoring champion.

You are a ****ing piece of shit.

Bandito
10-11-2013, 08:51 PM
:roll:

Euroleague
10-11-2013, 08:58 PM

Kleiza had micro-fracture surgery since then. Everyone knows he's not half the player now he was then and can't even stay healthy for a half season now.

Besides the fact that Fener does not have a single point guard on its entire roster.

And he is trying to claim that is an elite Euroleague team...................

Yeah right............

And his bullshit about Kleiza just never ends. He endlessly claims here that he is the SAME player he was 3-4 years ago before a micro-fracture surgery.

There is just no end to the amount of trolling bullshit from this clown gabepizza.

There is absolutely no way in hell a team without a point guard can do anything serious in Euroleague. Maybe they will make some more roster changes and maybe they will go get a good point guard, and so maybe that might change before the season is over.

But as it stands now, they are not going to do jack shit in Euroleague, and Kleiza can't even stay healthy for a season in the last 4 years, and this mega troll pretends that he automatically makes them an instant top championship contender.

As if he magically never had micro-fracture surgery and as if the last 4 years magically never happened.

And on Olympiacos, when he was HEALTHY and still athletic, he also had endless open shots created for him by Teodosic and Papaloukas...........good luck with that playing with McCalebb as your "point guard".

gabepizza is a hugely insulting troll.

dr.hee
10-11-2013, 09:01 PM
There is absolutely no way in hell a team without a point guard can do anything serious in Euroleague. Maybe they will make some more roster changes and maybe they will go get a good point guard.

Then why is Bilbao in Euroleague? They even lost to Philly, lol.

I know they're not playing in Euroleague. Go f*ck youself.

gabepizza
10-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Kleiza had micro-fracture surgery since then. Everyone knows he's not half the player now he was then and can't even stay healthy for a half season now.

Besides the fact that Fener does not have a single point guard on its entire roster.

And he is trying to claim that is an elite Euroleague team...................

Yeah right............

And his bullshit about Kleiza just never ends. He endlessly claims here that he is the SAME player he was 3-4 years ago before a micro-fracture surgery.

There is just no end to the amount of trolling bullshit from this clown gabepizza.

There is absolutely no way in hell a team without a point guard can do anything serious in Euroleague. Maybe they will make some more roster changes and maybe they will go get a good point guard, and so maybe that might change before the season is over.

But as it stands now, they are not going to do jack shit in Euroleague, and Kleiza can't even stay healthy for a season in the last 4 years, and this mega troll pretends that he automatically makes them an instant top championship contender.

As if he magically never had micro-fracture surgery and as if the last 4 years magically never happened.

And on Olympiacos, when he HEALTHY and still athletic, he also had endless open shots created for him by Teodosic and Papaloukas...........good luck with that playing with McCalebb as your "point guard".

gabepizza is a hugely insulting troll.

Even with is mirco-fracture surgery he led Lithuania to a silver medal in Eurobasket and was selected to all-tournament team. How did Spanoulis and Greece do in that tournament? I forgot.

Euroleague
10-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Then why is Bilbao in Euroleague? They even lost to Philly, lol.

Bilbao isn't in Euroleague. Stop trolling.

And Bilbao actually has 2 good point guards, unlike Fener.

aj1987
10-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Spanoulis (or however you spell his name) averaged 3 points on 30% in the NBA and is a EL MVP.

dr.hee
10-11-2013, 09:08 PM
Bilbao isn't in Euroleague. Stop trolling.

And Bilbao actually has 2 good point guards, unlike Fener.

Read my post again...I said I know they don't. Which means...YOU'RE A LIAR!!! YOU F*CKING PSYCHOPATH SHOULD KILL YOURSELF!!! YOU TRULY ARE A MONUMENTAL TROLL!!! REPORTED TO MODS!!!

Euroleague
10-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Even with is mirco-fracture surgery he led Lithuania to a silver medal in Eurobasket and was selected to all-tournament team. How did Spanoulis and Greece do in that tournament? I forgot.

He didn't lead Lithuania to anything moron. He played terrible for most of the tournament. Kalnieitis led them and was by far and away their best player.

Spanoulis played better than Kleiza did by LEAPS and BOUNDS.

STOP TROLLING.

You even saw Kleiza suck really bad for almost the entire EuroBasket and you have the balls to claim he can be the MVP, champion and top scorer of Euroleague this year..........

You are unbelievably nuts.

He hasn't even finished a season in 4 years.

gabepizza
10-11-2013, 09:21 PM
He didn't lead Lithuania to anything moron. He played terrible for most of the tournament. Kalnieitis led them and was by far and away their best player.

Spanoulis played better than Kleiza did by LEAPS and BOUNDS.

STOP TROLLING.

You even saw Kleiza suck really bad for almost the entire EuroBasket and you have the balls to claim he can be the MVP, champion and top scorer of Euroleague this year..........

You are unbelievably nuts.

He hasn't even finished a season in 4 years.

Again. Kleiza was selected by official FIBA people, as the only Lithuanian, to the all-tournament Eurobasket team. Now who's opinion hold more water?..official FIBA representatives or the biggest troll on ISH who has been proving to be lying and exaggerating numerous times.

Euroleague
10-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Again. Kleiza was selected by official FIBA people, as the only Lithuanian, to the all-tournament Eurobasket team. Now who's opinion hold more water?..official FIBA representatives or the biggest troll on ISH who has been proving to be lying and exaggerating numerous times.

You are absolutely INSANE.

Kalnietis was Lithuania's leader and best player by a country mile and then some. I watched all of Lithuania's games and Kleiza played like absolute shit for most of the tournament.

He's about 2 years away from being an ex player.

He's nowhere in the same galaxy as top Euroleague players like Spanoulis.

You are completely nuts and then some.

bmd
10-11-2013, 09:32 PM
The games are not very intense. If you cannot tell the difference between preseason and the regular season, then I don't know what to tell you.

You should be able to see a jump in intensity from the preseason to the regular season, and from the regular season to the playoffs.

These preseason games mean nothing.

Imagine in your mind for a second the intensity of the NBA playoffs. If that is how the games were going against these Euro teams, and if Euro teams won, then I'd say they can play.

But these preseason games are absolutely worthless in judging how good a team is when the starters play about 20 minutes a game, don't play that hard, and aren't even running much of their actual offense.

Remember... college kids beat the Dream Team when the Dream Team was scrimmaging with "friendly" intensity. When the Dream Team got serious, they wiped the floor with the college kids.

gabepizza
10-11-2013, 09:51 PM
You are absolutely INSANE.

Kalnietis was Lithuania's leader and best player by a country mile and then some. I watched all of Lithuania's games and Kleiza played like absolute shit for most of the tournament.

He's about 2 years away from being an ex player.

He's nowhere in the same galaxy as top Euroleague players like Spanoulis.

You are completely nuts and then some.

The ranting of a troll.

Here is the ceremony and the highlights for a Eurobasket all-tournament team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUhsN13M_uLLQQ8lFewoXxzA&v=WsJ-Tfn6w1I

Euroleague
10-11-2013, 10:08 PM
The games are not very intense. If you cannot tell the difference between preseason and the regular season, then I don't know what to tell you.

You should be able to see a jump in intensity from the preseason to the regular season, and from the regular season to the playoffs.

These preseason games mean nothing.

Imagine in your mind for a second the intensity of the NBA playoffs. If that is how the games were going against these Euro teams, and if Euro teams won, then I'd say they can play.

But these preseason games are absolutely worthless in judging how good a team is when the starters play about 20 minutes a game, don't play that hard, and aren't even running much of their actual offense.

Remember... college kids beat the Dream Team when the Dream Team was scrimmaging with "friendly" intensity. When the Dream Team got serious, they wiped the floor with the college kids.

CSKA never played more than 50% intensity at any time against the Wolves or Spurs.

Euroleague
10-11-2013, 10:09 PM
The ranting of a troll.

Here is the ceremony and the highlights for a Eurobasket all-tournament team.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUhsN13M_uLLQQ8lFewoXxzA&v=WsJ-Tfn6w1I

Why don't you make a thread asking European fans who was Lithuania's best player at EuroBasket?

I DARE you.

bmd
10-11-2013, 10:44 PM
CSKA never played more than 50% intensity at any time against the Wolves or Spurs.Shut the **** up. You don't know how hard they were going.

Dr.J4ever
10-12-2013, 04:18 AM
Well Gabe, you're discounting the fact that the FIBA people could be in league with David Stern. This is possible since any chance they could get to improve the NBA's image, and embarrass Euro basketball, they will do so.

Also, it's clearly possible that many, if not most of the FIBA people in Eurobasket 2013, are racist psychopaths like we all are here in ISH. Just look at France. A team loaded with one superstar NBA player and a bunch other borderline players like Batum and other scrubs end up winning the tournament. To me, this is clear evidence of Stern working with racist psychopaths to upend the tournament.

Just food for thought on this great weekend.:lol

bukowski81
10-12-2013, 12:34 PM

I cant speak about the wolves game cause i didnt see it, but in the case of the spurs they were just chillin, the starters played very low minutes and it was clearly a practice game for them.

The teams in Europe are great, they play at a very high level, but IMO they are still a couple of steps below the NBA. I have no doubt that if they play a 7 game series for something that matters the NBA teams will win clearly.

Btw im not trying to mock European teams, from the little i have seen of them i really think they play a very high level and entertaining basketball.

jzek
10-12-2013, 12:38 PM
Agree.

Top NBA teams (like Miami) are still better than top Euroleague teams but not as much as we exaggerate (mostly to annoy the ISH poster named Euroleague). If we include Euro teams in the NBA, I wouldn't be surprised to see a top Euroleague team reach as far as the Conference Finals.

The talent gap isn't as big as it once was when the original Dream Team was playing against International competition.

Clutch
10-12-2013, 04:07 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130820154203/theevilliouschronicles/images/8/8a/Meme-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

uber
10-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Meh. MLS teams do the same things to European club teams.

No they don't.

Sakkreth
10-12-2013, 05:04 PM

Kalnietis was the best player, but your brain is still too smal to grasp what is real teamplay, we don't have first option, we have 11 first options. They picked Kleiza cause there was noone decent to pick at pf position and Kalnietis didn't got picked cause there was Parker and Dragic(Kalnietis was better than him, Goran got picked cause championship was in slovenia) as guards. Kleiza got hot for two important games, but in other matches he was terrible.

gabepizza
10-12-2013, 07:16 PM
No they don't.

It was really difficult to find information on MLS vs between Europe's best soccer clubs for some reason. Here is an article saying the games show MLS improving but not up to standards.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-07-22/friendlies-prove-mls-soccer-improving-but-not-at-european-standards

It states that the MLS played 7 of these games and won 2. So they were 2-5 that year against top European clubs which is a better % than Euroleague's 10-42 record against NBA teams for the past 10 years.

bdreason
10-12-2013, 07:27 PM
And top MLS teams can definitely beat top EPL teams because they often have competitive exhibition matches. :rolleyes:

bdreason
10-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Agree.

If we include Euro teams in the NBA, I wouldn't be surprised to see a top Euroleague team reach as far as the Conference Finals.

No Euroleague teams are making the NBA Conference Finals. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Euroleague
10-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Well Gabe, you're discounting the fact that the FIBA people could be in league with David Stern. This is possible since any chance they could get to improve the NBA's image, and embarrass Euro basketball, they will do so.

Also, it's clearly possible that many, if not most of the FIBA people in Eurobasket 2013, are racist psychopaths like we all are here in ISH. Just look at France. A team loaded with one superstar NBA player and a bunch other borderline players like Batum and other scrubs end up winning the tournament. To me, this is clear evidence of Stern working with racist psychopaths to upend the tournament.

Just food for thought on this great weekend.:lol

FIBA "people" don't even vote for that idiot.

Euroleague
10-12-2013, 09:49 PM
It was really difficult to find information on MLS vs between Europe's best soccer clubs for some reason. Here is an article saying the games show MLS improving but not up to standards.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-07-22/friendlies-prove-mls-soccer-improving-but-not-at-european-standards

It states that the MLS played 7 of these games and won 2. So they were 2-5 that year against top European clubs which is a better % than Euroleague's 10-42 record against NBA teams for the past 10 years.

Yeah, because NBA teams regularly play their under-17 units against Euroleague teams..........................

:facepalm

Euroleague
10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
And top MLS teams can definitely beat top EPL teams because they often have competitive exhibition matches. :rolleyes:

Every time I watch one of those games, the EPL teams are using players from their under-17 teams.

I would like you to please provide an example of when an NBA team used under-17 players against a Euroleague team.

Please provide the example. I will wait for it.

Andrew Wiggins
10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
yeah, because NBA teams regularly play their under-17 units against Euroleague teams..........................

:facepalm

juventus played a full lineup against the galaxy a few months ago and lost 1-3, euroleague doesn't know anything about football just like basketball, no surprise :lol

Andrew Wiggins
10-12-2013, 09:52 PM
real madrid played a chinese team with stephon marbury and only won by 6 pts lmaooooo

euroleague "vastly superior" than cba :lol

Euroleague
10-12-2013, 09:52 PM
juventus played a full lineup against the galaxy a few months ago and lost 1-3, euroleague doesn't know anything about football just like basketball, no surprise :lol

The MEGA TROLL strikes again.

Since when is Juventus an EPL team?

Euroleague
10-12-2013, 09:53 PM
real madrid played a chinese team with stephon marbury and only won by 6 pts lmaooooo

euroleague "vastly superior" than cba :lol

I watched that game. Marbury's team would beat the 76ers by 20-30 points.

Wavves
10-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Every time I watch one of those games, the EPL teams are using players from their under-17 teams.

I would like you to please provide an example of when an NBA team used under-17 players against a Euroleague team.

That is not true at all, you are a psychotic LIAR.

Different case, but Liverpool and Man United played in Australia a while back for preseason games and players like Suarez, Van Persie, Gerrard ect were playing.

Euroleague
10-12-2013, 10:07 PM
That is not true at all, you are a psychotic LIAR.

Different case, but Liverpool and Man United played in Australia a while back for preseason games and players like Suarez, Van Persie, Gerrard ect were playing.

I was not aware that the MLS was an Australian league.

K
10-13-2013, 04:07 AM
provide an example of epl teams using a u17 team or even a u23 team against mls teams :lol

btw you suck at making youtube videos, your channel sucks

http://www.youtube.com/user/blacklab72653

^^

his channel, he uses the zip code of mountain home arkansas :lol

So, this guy is actually serious. :lol

gabepizza
10-13-2013, 06:11 AM

BUZZZZ! WRONG!

You are the one making a claim. You have to prove an example that the EPL teams use under-17 teams.

gabepizza
10-13-2013, 06:14 AM
I watched that game. Marbury's team would beat the 76ers by 20-30 points.

Now I know you've gone off the deep end.

The myth of Euroleague being the 2nd best league in the world gets shattered everyday.

Euroleague
10-13-2013, 08:34 PM
Now I know you've gone off the deep end.

The myth of Euroleague being the 2nd best league in the world gets shattered everyday.

Yes. It's clearly the BEST league in the world.

Jameerthefear
10-13-2013, 08:36 PM
my highschool varsity team would win the euroleague championship.

Euroleague
10-13-2013, 08:36 PM
BUZZZZ! WRONG!

You are the one making a claim. You have to prove an example that the EPL teams use under-17 teams.

You are the one lying. Everyone that has ever watched those games knows that. Just like everyone that has ever read one of your posts knows you are a liar.

gabepizza
10-13-2013, 09:43 PM
You are the one lying. Everyone that has ever watched those games knows that. Just like everyone that has ever read one of your posts knows you are a liar.

Prove it. You're the one making the claim. It's a lot easier to prove a positive than a negative.

Spanoulis the Euroleague MVP again gets embarrassed in FIBA competition. 11th place lol.

Any sane person would stop posting but you are an insane troll.

Nigeria, Slovenia, Finland.

How many d-level teams have to clown Spanoulis until you finally shut up?

aj1987
10-13-2013, 11:17 PM
provide an example of epl teams using a u17 team or even a u23 team against mls teams :lol

btw you suck at making youtube videos, your channel sucks

http://www.youtube.com/user/blacklab72653

^^

his channel, he uses the zip code of mountain home arkansas :lol