PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Bill Simmons is the reason Magic Johnson left ESPN

bagelred
10-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Juicy stuff. :cheers:

LINK (http://deadspin.com/sources-magic-johnson-left-espn-because-of-bill-simmon-1443543687?rev=1381432772&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)

Say what you want about Bill Simmons, but he's not boring. Bill Simmons FINALLY found his niche in the NBA Draft. My god, he was comic gold during draft and the only reason to watch all those hours.

Doris Burke is a terrible replacement though....but not unhappy Magic is gone. He was kinda useless. I don't mind Jalen and Bill together. They have chemistry.

Bill Simmons ‏@BillSimmons 18h
My first experience today with someone writing a "sources" report about me that's not true. Part amusing, part horrifying.

So, who knows....

chips93
10-11-2013, 10:13 AM
This is great. Go newspapers! http://lat.ms/19D7oCs Wait, so why is @magicjohnson coming on my podcast next week if we have a "rift"???

sounds like this rumor is bullshit

El Kabong
10-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Dunno, can't see Simmons having that much pull over there.

#number6ix#
10-11-2013, 12:55 PM
sounds like a rumor to me but you never know

Breezy
10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Simmons is the only thing that makes nba countdown watchable.

SilkkTheShocker
10-11-2013, 01:04 PM
Magic might be upset that Wilbon won't be there to kiss his ass every 3 seconds

RoundMoundOfReb
10-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Both Wilbon and Magic were terrible. Good riddance. Doris Burke is probably even worse though.

andgar923
10-11-2013, 01:25 PM
The original link provided earlier basically debunk those claims.

Who knows how true they may be, Magic is known to be a two faced.

All Net
10-11-2013, 01:49 PM
I now love Bill :cheers:

AirFederer
10-11-2013, 02:59 PM
How can the greatest playmaker be so shallow in his understanding of the game off court :confusedshrug:

OldSkoolball#52
10-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Magic might be upset that Wilbon won't be there to kiss his ass every 3 seconds

Heh, probably. Wilbon is by far the biggest star slurper on the airwaves.

TheReal Kendall
10-11-2013, 05:44 PM
I honestly don't care.

I turn the tv when they're talking anyway.

If it's not Barkley, EJ, or Kenny I don't want to hear it

KyleKong
10-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Bill Simmons and Magic Johnson go to each other's houses for BBQs and movies.

No way this rumor is true.

But if it is, thank you Bill, Magic was awful.

Bobcats2013
10-11-2013, 06:36 PM
Bill and Jalen are great. I hope the sources are true, that way my fear of Simmons getting fired go down a bit.

sportsfan76
10-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I honestly don't care.

I turn the tv when they're talking anyway.

If it's not Barkley, EJ, or Kenny I don't want to hear it

That's what I do now when TNT is on because of Shaq. Shaq is the MAGIC of Inside the NBA

KyleKong
10-11-2013, 06:58 PM
That's what I do now when TNT is on because of Shaq. Shaq is the MAGIC of Inside the NBA

Is he still going to be on TNT? If so, I can't wait for them to do a game where Sac is down by 20 and see what he has to say. :lol

Heavincent
10-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Bill Simmons just gets better and better :applause:

BlackWhiteGreen
10-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Yeahhh I don't see it.

tontoz
10-11-2013, 07:46 PM
Doris Burke is the worst. How she has a job covering basketball just mystifies me.

Patrick Chewing
10-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Bill and Jalen are great.

:hammerhead:

Lakers Legend#32
10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Spare me from any Dorris Burke WNBA references. :facepalm

chips93
10-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Is he still going to be on TNT? If so, I can't wait for them to do a game where Sac is down by 20 and see what he has to say. :lol

i dont foresee the kings having many nationally televised games

TheBigVeto
10-14-2013, 12:32 AM
IF it is true, then good job Bill Simmons!

talkingconch
10-14-2013, 01:13 AM
they all suck, just wish they had mike breen and van gundy on TNT commentating instead

TNT halftime is just something else. those guys are funny (barkley) and just have nice chemistry and goofiness together.

R.I.P.
10-14-2013, 02:41 AM
They should replace him with Shaq. That way all the idiots would be in one place ESPN and TNT would be more enjoyable again.

sc19
10-14-2013, 02:49 AM
Magic left for Dodgers. :facepalm

monkeypox
10-14-2013, 03:09 AM
Fox has been tempting Magic behind the scenes for their FS1 network, which is bombing.

Doranku
10-14-2013, 05:14 AM
Unreal how they get rid of the weakest link and STILL manage to end up worse than they were beforehand... Doris Burke. :oldlol: :facepalm :facepalm

JtotheIzzo
10-14-2013, 10:27 AM
People underestimate how powerful Bill Simmons is.

He is far and away the most valuable sports writing asset in North America, and he might even be the most powerful sports media person as well. Look what SI just did for Peter King, Bill would command more from ESPN (Grantland is just the start) if he left so would a ton of $$$, are people gonna start reading Jemele Hill all of a sudden?

I don't think there was a fued, but I do think the show is going to be more stylized to fit BS report and Grantland sensibilities, and Magic doesn't jive with intellectual sports fans.

Personally I think the people in charge did this, not Bill, but they did it with Bill in mind.

chips93
10-14-2013, 11:48 AM
I don't think there was a fued, but I do think the show is going to be more stylized to fit BS report and Grantland sensibilities, and Magic doesn't jive with intellectual sports fans.

Personally I think the people in charge did this, not Bill, but they did it with Bill in mind.

what do you think that actually means though?

i love grantland, and i like simmons' writing, but its typically the simplest writing on grantland. i think grantland's sensibilities are far more intellectual than simmons'.

most of the basketball stuff on grantland would go over the heads of your typical casual fan, who the espn show is trying to attract.

they dont have to worry about the diehards, which is what grantland appeals to, because diehards will watch regardless

OldSkoolball#52
10-14-2013, 02:13 PM
most of the basketball stuff on grantland would go over the heads of your typical casual fan, who the espn show is trying to attract.

they dont have to worry about the diehards, which is what grantland appeals to, because diehards will watch regardless

Theyre probably willing to try anything because right now their pre game and half time coverage attracts nobody.

Also, ESPN has been hiring too many former players for their sports coverage in recent years. A person doesnt necessarily analyze a sport well just because they played it well. Some former athletes are great on TV - many others are not.

Seems like the minute any high profile athlete hangs it up, ESPN throws a contract at him.

Emmit ****ing Smith LMFAO.

I dont think they even audition these guys. :facepalm

ralph_i_el
10-14-2013, 02:43 PM
bill simmons= Illuminati

Burgz V2
10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
I think Magic leaving has more to do with Wilbon not returning.

I like Wilbon, but he didn't fit that show.

I hate that panel tbh, but it's entertaining at least. That's what it's all about at the end of the day, ESPN doesn't really care who is more credible or not. Frankly, none of this really matters to me anyways, I only watch this show like twice a month on days of big nationally televised games.

EllEffEll
10-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Not really a fan of Simmons, but whatever the reason is for Magic leaving, it was the right thing to do. Loved him dearly as a player, but not as an analyst.

jzek
10-14-2013, 03:42 PM

Uhh... he's so big over at ESPN they gave him a WHOLE SITE with a staff under him because everytime he posts one of his mailbags the whole ESPN site crashes from billions of readers

NumberSix
10-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Stan Van Gundy woulda been epic.

DMAVS41
10-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Stan Van Gundy woulda been epic.

I know. Stan, Simmons, and Rose would make very a really interesting and entertaining crew.

fos
10-14-2013, 08:32 PM
I just assumed his HIV had progressed to AIDs and he wanted to get out of the media spotlight.

comerb
10-14-2013, 09:25 PM
I always thought it was fairly transparent that magic did not like Bill

Reverend Hoops
10-14-2013, 09:59 PM

The problem with that theory is Doris Burke is replacing him.

Indian guy
10-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Maybe Magic read Bill Simmons' book, The Book of Basketball (2009)? Bill did a whole list of former-players-turned-commentators who sucked at the job, and I think he considered Magic the absolute worst of the lot. Just ripped him to shreds.

irondarts
10-15-2013, 12:46 AM
Are you serious? ESPN lets him do whatever he wants. He's their "star" and has been for a while.

Andrew Wiggins
10-21-2013, 03:42 PM
as expected this report was bullshit

SI.com: Deadspin reported last Thursday, via unnamed sources, that you were responsible for Magic Johnson being removed from Countdown. What is your response to that assertion?

Simmons: Those unnamed "sources" are liars. Someone planted a fake story to try to make me look bad, and there's a 99.3 percent chance it came from someone in Bristol (which presents its own set of concerns). I was upset; I can't lie. Maybe this happens to people more often than I realize, and maybe it comes with the territory, but man ... I can't properly explain how fantastic it was to watch basketball with Magic for nine months. I brought my dad to our show for the whole day once and he absolutely loved it. He just couldn't believe they paid me to watch hoops with Magic. One of Magic's best qualities is that he always makes an outsider like that feel special and [feel as if] they connected with him -- I probably watched him do it with 50 people last year. To see Magic do that for my father was something else.
He's just an amazing person. When [Johnson's agent] Lon [Rosen] told me Magic was leaving, I actually got pissed at myself that I didn't appreciate those nine months more. Our interview with LeBron after Game 7 [of the NBA Finals] -- seeing the affection that LeBron and Magic had for one another, getting LeBron to open up a little, and being part of that moment in NBA history -- was one of the five or six highlights of my career. Jimmy Kimmel wanted me to write a book about a season watching basketball with Magic -- he was endlessly fascinated that I spent 8-12 hours a week with someone like that. Magic is a story jukebox. We'd be bored sitting there watching some sh-- game and I'd liven things up by asking, "Magic, what was the best fight you ever saw in a game?" and he'd pause dramatically, then he'd launch into some awesome five-minute story and do all the voices and everything. Remember, Magic's life intersected with just about every relevant NBA player and celebrity from the past 40 years. He has an endless well of stories. I probably heard two percent of them. My wife had a running joke -- I'd come home from doing a show, walk through the front door and she'd immediately mock me in my voice (not hard to do), "I can't believe I get to work with Magic Johnson" before I even said anything.
I don't know if our show will be better or worse without Magic, but he certainly made the show feel bigger. He's one of the most famous people on the planet -- and the weight he carried with current players is just something we'll never be able to match. We'll never have a moment on our show again as special as that LeBron moment. Big picture, I know I'll be better on TV this season. I learned a ton last year and felt like I was coming at this season from a position of strength. I knew the Dodgers were becoming Magic's life; you could see it happening last spring. He loves being part of a team again. So I knew he'd leave, just not this soon. I wanted one more year with him.
Anyway, that's why the "report" upset me so much -- it wasn't just that someone made it up (and how disturbing that is), but how I felt in real life was the exact opposite of what that "report" portrayed. I felt blindsided when Magic left. I thought he was quitting on the show, and I guess on me, too. I took it personally. But then I thought about the whole Dodgers thing (and how into those games he was), and it made more sense and I got over it. Regardless, I will miss spending time with him every week. Jalen and I nicknamed him "Mogul" for "Hall of Fame Mogul." We were like little kids around him. In retrospect, maybe that wasn't the ideal dynamic for a studio show, but I thought we were getting better at challenging him while also respecting him and everything he accomplished. Year 2 would have been better than Year 1.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20131013/bill-simmons-magic-johnson-espn-media-circus/#ixzz2iO543rwL

kentatm
10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Both Wilbon and Magic were terrible. Good riddance.

pretty much

all Wilbon does is kiss peoples asses and Magic often comes off like he isn't even watching the game.

BIZARRO
10-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Pretty much disagree with most on here.

Loved Magic on the show. Love Jalen. Wilbon is passable.

Simmons is the worst piece of crap I've ever seen on air. No credibility. No intelligence. Everything he says is awkward. Dumb as a stump. Unwatchable.

I totally get how Magic would find him intolerable and I got that watching Magic watch him on the air.

Just my opinion, but I can't believe people actually think Simmons is good. I think he is completely brutal.

Stringer Bell
07-24-2014, 06:15 PM
I wonder if Magic held a grudge against Simmons because of this old article.

I'm sure Jordan would have lol.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020927

NBAplayoffs2001
07-24-2014, 06:16 PM
Juicy stuff. :cheers:

LINK (http://deadspin.com/sources-magic-johnson-left-espn-because-of-bill-simmon-1443543687?rev=1381432772&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)

Say what you want about Bill Simmons, but he's not boring. Bill Simmons FINALLY found his niche in the NBA Draft. My god, he was comic gold during draft and the only reason to watch all those hours.

Doris Burke is a terrible replacement though....but not unhappy Magic is gone. He was kinda useless. I don't mind Jalen and Bill together. They have chemistry.

So, who knows....

Bill Simmons is like the only dude I truly like listening to when he talks basketball. Guy's the man :cheers:

outbreak
07-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Bill Simmons is like the only dude I truly like listening to when he talks basketball. Guy's the man :cheers:
It's great because he's an actual fan and actually has his own opinions. At times you have to take that in to account though when he says something off base but I respect that he actually thinks for himself and it makes him much more enjoyable to listen to.

Doris is a hottie so don't be complaining about her.

Derka
07-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Good, Simmons finally did the world a service. Magic Johnson was horrible on ESPN.

ArbitraryWater
07-24-2014, 06:42 PM
Good, Simmons finally did the world a service. Magic Johnson was horrible on ESPN.

His analogies are cringe stuff

TheMarkMadsen
07-24-2014, 06:42 PM
How anybody can take Simmons opinion on anything laker related is beyond me.

He's so biased that its unreal. He admits to spending every waking moment as a celtics fan wanting magic to fail.

If you got this guy alone he would tell you Bird > Jordan and it isn't that close. For the love of god he thinks Bird made his teammates better than Jordan did and brought them to a level that Jordan never brought his teammates.

Simmons is a certified moron.

gts
07-24-2014, 06:47 PM
Never had a problem with Magic's views on the game... How can you not like listening to one of the greatest players ever thoughts on basketball

Simmons is hit and miss, OK for the most part like where he comes from as far as being a fan first but like a fan he does get a little too much sometimes, he's great when he's sharing his thoughts as opinion but as soon as he starts thinking he's actually an analyst and begins breaking down the game it's time to turn the volume down

Take Your Lumps
07-24-2014, 06:59 PM
I wonder if Magic held a grudge against Simmons because of this old article.

I'm sure Jordan would have lol.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020927

Test patterns in Sri Lanka got better ratings than "The Magic Hour".

Ouch :oldlol:

Darius
07-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Simmons at least makes it watchable by actually daring to give his real take on things.

Tired of these old jocks rambling on saying nothing on these shows.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-24-2014, 07:33 PM
Magic could ramble on for 5 straight minutes, reminiscing, using examples, analogies, statistical analysis, and his point would be scoring the basketball is good.

La Frescobaldi
07-24-2014, 08:03 PM
doris burke?????????????????????????????????????????
I'm done with that station.

http://www.old-dog-treats-and-rawhide.com/images/dog-with-remote.jpg

Dang Rover, is that noise on tv again? {sigh} OK hang on, lemme turn these steaks and I'll come change the channel for ya.

Meticode
07-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Drama mamas.

Spaulding
07-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Bill and Jalen are great. I hope the sources are true, that way my fear of Simmons getting fired go down a bit.

Simmons needs to stick to writing and Jalen needs to stay on Radio. They really don't offer consistent game analysis. Now Collins is A+. Doris and Jalen need to go. Replace with Webber and Hill in my opinion. Bill I guess can stay due to comedic factor and yes usuallt honest. Magic was more useless than Shaq and that's hard to do.

I gave their per/post games a shot and its not watchable. Collins is only person I take serious.

no pun intended
07-24-2014, 10:22 PM
Good. Magic is a shitty analyst.

IGOTGAME
07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Never had a problem with Magic's views on the game... How can you not like listening to one of the greatest players ever thoughts on basketball

Simmons is hit and miss, OK for the most part like where he comes from as far as being a fan first but like a fan he does get a little too much sometimes, he's great when he's sharing his thoughts as opinion but as soon as he starts thinking he's actually an analyst and begins breaking down the game it's time to turn the volume down

guy has no idea about how the game is basketball is played on the court. its actually sad for someone who has watched so much basketball. Historically, he has read a lot and witnessed a lot. But he really never understood what was going on during the games. That is good enough I guess....i just can't listen to him. He is by far the most annoying announcer on TV. Other players know that fans don't really want to hear someone analyze a game.

Its like when someone asks me about something I'm working on. I just give them the shit they will understand because no one has time to give them a primer on the subject matter.

JohnFreeman
07-24-2014, 10:44 PM
magic is the worst analyst