PDA

View Full Version : KG hints towards leaving Minnesota

hotsizzle
02-24-2007, 08:45 AM
By doing nothing at the NBA trading deadline Thursday, the Timberwolves actually might have done a whole lot of something to alter their team.
Kevin Garnett, the Wolves' All-Star forward, made it pretty clear after the shootaround Friday morning that he was not happy with the stand-pat approach.

"We made no moves. Typical," Garnett said in a raspy voice, apparently fighting a cold.

Asked if he had been hoping for a trade to boost the team's playoff chances, Garnett responded: "We're trying to get better, right? It is what it is."

A couple of minutes later, after some comments about Phoenix, he offered a glimpse at how "not happy" he really was.

"Thank God for opt-outs," Garnett said as he wrapped up the brief interview.

The 7-foot franchise player has an opt-out clause in his contract after the 2007-08 season, before the final year of his current contract.

Assistant general manager Fred Hoiberg said he spoke with Garnett after the deadline passed, however, and that the player's mood was "good."

http://www.startribune.com/511/story/1022668.html

Sounds real pissed here. Dude has given it his all every minute hes out there, shame its come down to this.

I really think we're going to see KG move this summer. Chicago is probably where he would go...being that its his hometown, he would be the #1 option and would make them instant heavy contenders

mavsfan4zindagi
02-24-2007, 08:50 AM
I agree. I think its the beginning of the end of KG's run in Minnesota. You can only be loyal for so long.

Howard5Dirk41
02-24-2007, 09:07 AM
See, thats why Chicago was so hesistant to pull the trigger on Pau Gasol, they want KG.

MaxFly
02-24-2007, 10:30 AM
Excellent.... :banana: :banana:

Chicago to be champions for 2008...

shafir
02-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Good for KG, as long as he signs with the Knicks.

konex
02-24-2007, 10:58 AM
This is where you move Bynum AND Odom :bowdown:

traditionone
02-24-2007, 11:06 AM
I've said this before. KG could use his opt out much like Shaq did.

He could not only demand a trade, but demand a trade to the team he wants to go to and say that if anyone else trades for him, he will opt out and leave.

If the Lakers make a proposal, it will involve Odom, Brown, and first round picks. Chicago won't give up Deng and they shouldn't.

It will be interesting to see what kind of trade offers Minnesota would get. They won't be as good and T'Wolves fans want them to be, especially if KG starts making demands.

Real Men Wear Green
02-24-2007, 11:10 AM
If the Cs get the top pick I'd love to see the team go after Garnett. Pierce, KG, and Big Al=best frontcourt in the NBA.

traditionone
02-24-2007, 11:19 AM
If the Cs get the top pick I'd love to see the team go after Garnett. Pierce, KG, and Big Al=best frontcourt in the NBA.

If Durant and/or Oden declares for the draft, you keep the top pick. If both stay in school, I would consider trading it, but it's value drops significantly. Then you have Brandan Wright, who could stay, and Noah, who is solid, but won't be the big star Oden and Durant will be.

kentatm
02-24-2007, 11:20 AM
opt out and go tot Dallas KG!

20 Dimes A Game
02-24-2007, 11:21 AM
He should run from minneosota as fast as he can.

Crazy Style
02-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Please K.G. come back home to Chicago you'd be the final piece in order for us to really become a contender and I'm sure we'd be the number 1 team in the east. The Bulls would have a chance to get their seventh championship by 2010, maybe even 2008, anything could happen.:rockon:

Real Men Wear Green
02-24-2007, 11:49 AM
If Durant and/or Oden declares for the draft, you keep the top pick. If both stay in school, I would consider trading it, but it's value drops significantly. Then you have Brandan Wright, who could stay, and Noah, who is solid, but won't be the big star Oden and Durant will be.
Oden and Durant both look very talented but Pierce is 30 so it's time to go for a Championship for him, if he's ever going to win one as a star player. Oden and Durant may not be great for another three or four seasons. Pierce has already shown great patience waiting for guys like Jefferson and West to develop, but I'm a little concerned that if the team continues to get younger he's going to want out. But if Ainge puts Pierce and KG, together that would keep Pierce happy and along with Jefferson, Delonte West, and more experienced versions of Gerald Green and Rajon Rondo this team could win the East and with a little luck, a Championship. It would be the best chance to win a title the Cs have had in about two decades. Shouldn't pass that chance up.

bokes15
02-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Enough already! KG needs to follow the example of AI and just bolt to a team that actually has a chance. He can hint at leaving all he wants but unless he specifically says "I want out" it's not gonna help him. He's just gonna have another lottery year before he can opt out.

dak121
02-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Why would any team give up anything of strong value for a guy that will now most likely opt out of his contract?

The T-Wolves are screwed. The best they might get now from the Bulls would be Thomas and the Knicks pick (top 3 protected). And that might be too much now that the cat's out of the bag.

And why haven't they fired McHale yet? I wouldn't trust him to run a lemonade stand.

MaxFly
02-24-2007, 12:03 PM

I like the way you think... The Celts would be very very serious contenders... Best in the East for sure... :D This isn't going to get done unless Ainge is gone though... He'd opt to take on more young talent before he took on KG...

Real Men Wear Green
02-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Enough already! KG needs to follow the example of AI and just bolt to a team that actually has a chance. He can hint at leaving all he wants but unless he specifically says "I want out" it's not gonna help him. He's just gonna have another lottery year before he can opt out.
You know, Iverson and Anthony so far haven't done that well together. Things could change in the future but I'm not sure that going to Denver was the best thing for AI.

Crazy Style
02-24-2007, 12:04 PM

And a team that actually has a chance would be Chicago. At this point we don't even have any decent power forwards other than P.J. Brown who's inconsitant and Tyrus Thomas who's still raw and unproven. Our scoring down low comes mostly from our gaurds and small forwards driving in and still we don't have anyone who can perfect that night in and night out. So, basically K.G. would make us that much better. The starting lineup would look like this:

P.G: Kirk Hinrich
SG: Ben Gordon
SF: Luol Deng
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Ben Wallace

We would have one of the best starting lineups in the league for many years since like 75% of the team hasn't been in the NBA for more than 5 years and they're already that good imagine how they'll all be in their prime. If the team doesn't change much through the years, they'll be tough to stop.

MaxFly
02-24-2007, 12:12 PM
And a team that actually has a chance would be Chicago. At this point we don't even have any decent power forwards other than P.J. Brown who's inconsitant and Tyrus Thomas who's still raw and unproven. Our scoring down low comes mostly from our gaurds and small forwards driving in and still we don't have anyone who can perfect that night in and night out. So, basically K.G. would make us that much better. The starting lineup would look like this:

P.G: Kirk Hinrich
SG: Ben Gordon
SF: Luol Deng
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Ben Wallace

We would have one of the best starting lineups in the league for many years since like 75% of the team hasn't been in the NBA for more than 5 years and they're already that good imagine how they'll all be in their prime. If the team doesn't change much through the years, they'll be tough to stop.

Best believe you'd have to give up Luol Deng to get KG...

Da KO King
02-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Please K.G. come back home to Chicago...
Garnett is actually from South Carolina. So going home would give the Bobcats a better shot than the Bulls.

bokes15
02-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Garnett is actually from South Carolina. So going home would give the Bobcats a better shot than the Bulls.

But even with the addition of KG, the Bobcats wouldn't be a title contender, so I think that a title contender would be the #1 choice were he to leave.

Da KO King
02-24-2007, 12:25 PM
But even with the addition of KG, the Bobcats wouldn't be a title contender, so I think that a title contender would be the #1 choice were he to leave.
Perfectly reasonable. I made my comment cause I'm tired of hearing people play the "come home" angle in regards to Chicago.

MaxFly
02-24-2007, 12:25 PM

I agree... I think at this point in his career, KG is looking to be on a solid winning team with a great chance to win a title. Personally, if I were KG, I'd play for the Celtics... :D

No, seriously... Before anyone laughs, we're going to get a nice pick in the coming draft and we have a lot of young players coming up... We could be a good team for quite some time... and then there's Paul Pierce... :D

konex
02-24-2007, 12:30 PM
And why haven't they fired McHale yet? I wouldn't trust him to run a lemonade stand.

:roll:

johndough
02-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Yup KG is from Mauldin SC.He recieved alot of pub in the Carolinas.......some good, some bad.He transfered to Farragut in the Chi.He was teammates w/ Ronnie Fields.KG was Mr basketball in 2 states

bokes15
02-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Me neither. He'd probably trade all the fresh ripe lemons for some green underveloped ones because they have the potential to become ripe and then leave everyone with a sour taste.

Attila
02-24-2007, 12:35 PM
If he opt outs he will come to the East.

MaxFly
02-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Me neither. He'd probably trade all the fresh ripe lemons for some green underveloped ones because they have the potential to become ripe and then leave everyone with a sour taste.

Are was talking about McHale or Ainge? :oldlol:

bokes15
02-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Are was talking about McHale of Ainge? :oldlol:

I meant Ainge.

MaxFly
02-24-2007, 12:50 PM
I meant Ainge.

Lol, probably applies to both...

johndough
02-24-2007, 01:01 PM
McHale is far worse than Ainge as a GM.

KingofKings718
02-24-2007, 01:02 PM
McHale should've been re-assigned or even fired a while ago. And I really hope KG throws his loyalty under the bus and bolts Minnesota.

Skywalker
02-24-2007, 01:42 PM
Minnesota needs to rebuild, trade KG, and trade all of your other trash. Fire your GM, get a new coach. Everything needs to be changed.

Keep:
Randy Foye
Craig Smith

everything else should be gone, if they know how to run an organization

shadow
02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
man I just hope KG plain walks and screws minni over. Pull a GP on any trade proposals and just plain opt out. McHale's been screwing him over for so long now that doing him any favor just doesn't seem right.

Real Men Wear Green
02-24-2007, 02:33 PM
man I just hope KG plain walks and screws minni over. Pull a GP on any trade proposals and just plain opt out. McHale's been screwing him over for so long now that doing him any favor just doesn't seem right.
Kevin Garnett has probable made close to 200-million dollars between NBA contracts and endorsements. He doesn't necessarily owe McHale and the T-Wolves anything but he's hardly been screwed.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
02-24-2007, 04:13 PM
He needs to come to New York.

hotsizzle
02-24-2007, 05:05 PM
Bulls and Lakers have the best chance at this...KG choosing to opt out lowers the value Minnesota can get for him.

If KG goes with the "Im opting out or trade me to Bulls/Lakers (two teams he rumored to be interested in)"...Minnesota will be forced not only to give him up but accept the highest bidder between the the two.

So would Lakers be willing to sacrifice Bynum (they better)...what do twolves value more? The knicks pick or Bynum? Then you have players like Odom or Thomas that can be added to the mix.

It might not even get to that...KG's price may be real cheap if he put the Twolves in a "trade me or opt-out" deal...and he should, after all that hes been through

BradMiller52
02-24-2007, 06:26 PM
MN has 1 more season to build around KG. Lets see what they do. McHale needs to be fired ASAP.

hotsizzle
02-24-2007, 06:28 PM
MN has 1 more season to build around KG. Lets see what they do. McHale needs to be fired ASAP.

No they dont, KG has a player option this summer

Skywalker
02-24-2007, 06:29 PM
No, I'm pretty sure the player option is for the next summer. If it is this summer, then that's crazy.

hotsizzle
02-24-2007, 06:31 PM
No, I'm pretty sure the player option is for the next summer. If it is this summer, then that's crazy.

I just checked, it says he has a player option for 2007/2008 season which is next season...unless it means after next season but I doubt it

BigTicket
02-24-2007, 06:35 PM
As a KG fan I would love to see him opt out of his contract as soon as possible and go sign for the MLE on some contender, not likely perhaps but one can dream, and he has shown a willingness to take paycuts for success before.

ALBballer
02-24-2007, 06:36 PM
If KG opts out and takes MLE type of deal, I would love to see him in Dallas. He's got the cash and the commericals/endorsements, so why not sign with the best team in basketball with a lower deal. Watching a legitimate post player for the Mavs, would give every player on that team more open shots and it would just be a thing of beauty.

He can come to the knicks if he doesn't go the Mavs though.:oldlol:

hotsizzle
02-24-2007, 06:41 PM
If KG opts out and takes MLE type of deal, I would love to see him in Dallas. He's got the cash and the commericals/endorsements, so why not sign with the best team in basketball with a lower deal. Watching a legitimate post player for the Mavs, would give every player on that team more open shots and it would just be a thing of beauty.

He can come to the knicks if he doesn't go the Mavs though.:oldlol:

He wont sign with Dallas, as much as he wants to win, I doubt he would go to Dallas where he would be considered a "tag-along" over going to a place like Chicago or Lakers where he would actually make a huge impact.

Dallas are on their way to the chip regardless

Skywalker
02-24-2007, 06:46 PM
If he went to Dallas, LOOK OUT!

HollaBolla
02-24-2007, 06:48 PM
As much as I want KG to go to the Lakers, there's something in me that says he needs to go to teams like Orlando, Memphis or even Seattle, I like to see these teams come out of obscurity.

DWight Howard and KG
Pau Gasol and KG
Ray ALlen and KG

Crazy Style
02-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Bulls and Lakers have the best chance at this...KG choosing to opt out lowers the value Minnesota can get for him.

If KG goes with the "Im opting out or trade me to Bulls/Lakers (two teams he rumored to be interested in)"...Minnesota will be forced not only to give him up but accept the highest bidder between the the two.

So would Lakers be willing to sacrifice Bynum (they better)...what do twolves value more? The knicks pick or Bynum? Then you have players like Odom or Thomas that can be added to the mix.

It might not even get to that...KG's price may be real cheap if he put the Twolves in a "trade me or opt-out" deal...and he should, after all that hes been through

Honestly I think if it came down to him being traded either to the Bulls or Lakers the Wolves would probably try to trade him to Chicago first since they're in a different division and would only have to verse him twice instead of 4 times if he were to be part of the Lakers. I have a feeling that he might opt out of his contract after this season though, but anything could happen.

HollaBolla
02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Honestly I think if it came down to him being traded either to the Bulls or Lakers the Wolves would probably try to trade him to Chicago first since they're in a different division and would only have to verse him twice instead of 4 times if he were to be part of the Lakers. I have a feeling that he might opt out of his contract after this season though, but anything could happen.

yup anything can happen who knows Mchale might agree to straight up trade, Radmanovic and Sasha for KG, sports writers in Minnesota will have a field day insulting Mchale.

Skywalker
02-24-2007, 06:58 PM
KG to Denver.

PG- Allen Iverson
SG- JR Smith
SF- Carmelo Anthony
PF- Kevin Garnett
C- Marcus Camby

*stares at screen in disbelief*

ConanRulesNBC
02-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Chicago won't give up Deng and they shouldn't.

I will not be a fan of Paxson's anymore if he has the chance to trade Loul Deng for Garnett and doesn't.

HollaBolla
02-24-2007, 07:27 PM
I will not be a fan of Paxson's anymore if he has the chance to trade Loul Deng for Garnett and doesn't.

I agree I trade any single player on Chicago's lineup to get KG.

crisoner
02-24-2007, 07:41 PM
I hate to say this but KG to Chitown makes more sense only becuase he is from there.

But if he wants to match up with Kobe....oh my god...Kobe and KG would be f*cking crazy!!!!

COME TO LA KG!!!!!

Skywalker
02-24-2007, 07:50 PM
if I could pick anywhere for KG to go it would be LA, because when I first got into basketball they were my favourite team, and it'd be nice to cheer for them again.

ConanRulesNBC
02-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Chicago would have to give up a lot but it would be worth it and I still think they'd dominate in the East with Garnett. I'd trade Loul Deng, Tyrus Thomas, Chris Duhon, first round draft pick to get Garnett. It would still leave the Bulls with Wallace, Garnett, Nocioni, Gordon, and Hinrich. Sure they'd have to rebuild their bench but it would be worth it for Garnett.

rs98762001
02-24-2007, 07:57 PM
If KG wants to end up in LA, he has to demand it. McFail would trade him to any other team before the Lakers.

ConanRulesNBC
02-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Would KG and Kobe be enough for the Lakers to get through teams such as the Mavericks, Suns and Spurs? Who would the Lakers have to give up?

I think KG to the Bulls would make more sense for KG because the east is so weak right now that with KG, it would be almost a sure thing that the Bulls would make it to the NBA finals. A lineup of Ben Wallace, Garnett, Loul Deng OR Andres Nocioni, Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich would absolutely dominate the eastern conference.

hotsizzle
02-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Would KG and Kobe be enough for the Lakers to get through teams such as the Mavericks, Suns and Spurs? Who would the Lakers have to give up?

I think KG to the Bulls would make more sense for KG because the east is so weak right now that with KG, it would be almost a sure thing that the Bulls would make it to the NBA finals. A lineup of Ben Wallace, Garnett, Loul Deng OR Andres Nocioni, Ben Gordon and Kirk Hinrich would absolutely dominate the eastern conference.

Im still debating about giving up both odom and bynum, not because KG isnt worth it but because it might be too much considering Minny will be FORCED to trade him if he will opt out.

Bynum will most likely have to be included and Lakers better include him...

The deal Minny will look for will probably be Bynum/Odom/1st for KG/fillers...the deal Lakers will be after will probably be anything that doesnt involve both Odom and Bynum but one of them along with some expirers/picks

Prodigy
02-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Wouldn't Phoenix be a good place for him to go to? He could run up the floor as good as they come at seven feet. Marion/Diaw + picks (NY's).

ronron15
02-24-2007, 08:26 PM
i dun blame KG.... he needs to be contending for a championship... at least be in a team to contend for it... hes not gettin it done with the t-wolves..

gts
02-24-2007, 11:06 PM
alot of posts here forgetting that anybody who wants KG is going to have to come up with enough to match within 25% of KG's salary, that would gut some teams... KG know's his salary is huge and would be a deterrent to many teams, if he was smart and wants to pick where he goes he'll opt out and enter the market that would give him the most say so about his future..it's similar to shaq, lots of teams wanted him but few could afford him and even fewer actually entered into serious talks...

Who'sKobe
02-24-2007, 11:08 PM
KG to LA.

I:cheers:

MK2V1GP
02-24-2007, 11:21 PM
YES!!!!!IT SOUNDS LIKEHE'S FINALLY GONNA LEAVE THE CRAP HOLE THAT IS MINNESOTA...im so happy!!!!!!

YaoMacBat11
02-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Question:

KG has made enough money throughout his seasons in the nba...

What do you think the chance of KG signing with a team such as say the:
Rockets, Mavs, or Spurs?

For 2-5 million a year, just for the chance to win a championship. Because on any of those teams with the addition of KG, they would be contenders without a doubt.

He could go to any other team as well, but my main question is would he play for under 10 million a year? like in the range of 3-7 million just for a chance to win a chip?

different107
02-24-2007, 11:47 PM
I think he should go to dallas. They could play him at center and have a fast agile lineup that would have their defense anchored down low with KG

theanwser
02-24-2007, 11:48 PM
He will leave. I was expecting it 2 years ago but maybe he saw something different. There was talk maybe to the 76ers but now that there's no Iverson I don't think he'll be interested there. I could see him going to the Knicks even though I don't think that would be the best place but they could use him but he might be tired of being the go to guy. I think he needs to go to a team where he doesn't have to play too big of a role. Just put up decent numbers. Chicago would be good but I can't see Chicago wanting to get rid of their youth.

Human Error
02-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Antoine Walker, Haslem and Posey for Garnett. It works under the cap.

gts
02-25-2007, 12:06 AM
Antoine Walker, Haslem and Posey for Garnett. It works under the cap. the heat won't go into the luxury tax bracket, the owner has told that to riley several times in the past...

MK2V1GP
02-25-2007, 12:31 AM
i would love it if he came to dallas. i hate the mavs now, but if he came here, i would love it. i'd also get season tickets...even though i dont like dirk that much...no one would be able to stop a lineup of:

terry
stack
dirk
howard
kg
dampier
harris
etc...

BradMiller52
02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
If he opts out and goes to a contender for the MLE or whatever I want to see him in Houston.

Alston/TMac/Battier/KG/Yao

that would be insane.

mayorhoiberg
02-25-2007, 03:21 AM
The ignorance in this thread is sickening.

You guys are talking about KG like he's Chris Webber or something.

KG is not a role player. He won't just "go" to Dallas. He won't be playing for the MLE. If/When he opts out, he'll be signing for the max no matter where he goes. Don't be silly. He's still playing ridiculous basketball, and if he had any kind of team around him, he'd still be considered the best player on the planet. Give the man some respect.

mayorhoiberg
02-25-2007, 03:26 AM
And since some seemed to be confused, an opt-out is not a buyout. If he opts out, (which is possible AFTER 2008, NOT before) he will not be making any of the money for the final year of his contract. He will be a free agent. We've not seen any free agents of his caliber for quite a while. Franchise players don't often go to free agency. It wouldn't be like anything you guys have seen in awhile.

noob cake
02-25-2015, 10:40 AM
KG is back :applause:

FatComputerNerd
02-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Wow, epic bump :eek:

lilteapot
02-25-2015, 11:17 AM
KG is back :applause:
and it doesn't even matter

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2015, 11:23 AM
King sizzle himself!

BurningHammer
02-25-2015, 11:26 AM
Raps need helps. KG please come here!

GOBB
02-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Wow, epic bump :eek:

What's epic about it?

Im Still Ballin
02-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Old timer GOBB with more of his negative energy.

You and DouchebagWallaces must be pals.

FatComputerNerd
02-25-2015, 11:37 AM
What's epic about it?

Well there were already plenty of reasons, but the lack of your presence in the thread was a glaring hole.

Now we have that, so all is well.

GOBB
02-25-2015, 11:44 AM
Old timer GOBB with more of his negative energy.

You and DouchebagWallaces must be pals.

Again what made this an epic bump? And i'm all negative energy and you have a shitload of red bars. Ok, let me add another.

Well there were already plenty of reasons, but the lack of your presence in the thread was a glaring hole.

Now we have that, so all is well.

Epic reply in epic thread bump :eek:

T_L_P
02-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Why hasn't Garnett left? He's been complaining for almost a decade according to the time stamp on this thread.

Just move on. :facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
02-25-2015, 11:56 AM
I almost look smart in this thread. Not quite, but almost.

Jasper
02-25-2015, 11:58 AM
ok --- back to thread :

KD (Big Ticket) gave it his all for Minny , and other than the Sprewell, Cassell era at Minny, the team was swimming in Mud.

One money to acquire other players, and Two KD locking in so much money that Minny was unable to recalibrate their team .
Sounds familiar Kobe fans :confusedshrug:

Any case it's an awesome jester on Minny's part to trade for him back, and it's another awesome jester for Big Ticket to retire as a Minny wolve.

The lesson's to be learned by the league and franchise is that use of money can screw over a franshise, and franchises can't assume a 'ONE' super star player can compete on a high level with teams that have 2-3 big ticket players driving to a championship contension.

I am glad KD got his due and won 'a' ring with ROndo, Truth, Allen.

CP343
02-25-2015, 12:03 PM
KG needs to follow the example of AI and just bolt to a team that actually has a chance.

:lol

Mrofir
02-25-2015, 03:12 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LZ4cGJoEtVE/TDY7_gGcSPI/AAAAAAAAAlU/Vxif7O_HZq8/s1600/21167.jpg

MiseryCityTexas
02-25-2015, 05:32 PM
SMH @ people still thinking that Chicago is KG's original hometown.