PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Was Upset That The Magic Let Tobias Harris Wear #12

KingLeBronJames
10-16-2013, 11:10 AM
[quote]http://media.jrn.com/images/harris31613.jpg

By Dan Devine

The revamped Houston Rockets will take on the young and rebuilding Orlando Magic in preseason action on Wednesday night, marking Rockets center Dwight Howard's first visit to the Amway Center with his new team and his first trip back to his former stomping grounds since a dominant turn with the Los Angeles Lakers back in March (that, naturally, came with its own brand of nonsense).

It's only a preseason game, but it's still headline news when the once-beloved center comes back to a town that's long since stopped finding him especially charming. So Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel sat down with Howard to discuss all that's transpired for the 27-year-old big man over the past year, headlined, of course, by his move from the Lakers to the Rockets. In the process of a discussion about how the myriad changes he's experienced have affected him, though, Howard offered a pretty odd backward-looking comment about, of all things, his old number:

Howard said he was disappointed that, last February, after the Magic acquired Tobias Harris in a trade, the team granted Harris' request to wear No. 12, Howard's old number.

"I just think that despite whatever happened, there was a lot of things that I did and that we did as a team, and that number was special down there," Howard said. "And I was a little bit upset about that."

Since Howard is A) still playing and B) playing for another team, you'd figure Dwight would be looking less for a full-on retirement than for No. 12 to be sort of put on ice, similar to how Moses Malone's No. 2 wasn't officially retired by the Philadelphia 76ers, but has been taken out of circulation since he wore it. (Or, if you'd like a more recent example noted by Waiting for Next Year's Scott Sargent, how the Cleveland Cavaliers haven't had a No. 23 since the summer of 2010.)

In terms of on-court contributions, sure, you could make a case for the Magic eventually honoring the number Howard spent eight years wearing. He is, after all, the franchise's all-time leader in points, rebounds, blocks and minutes played. He represented the Magic in six consecutive All-Star Games and won three Defensive Player of the Year Awards in a row. He led the team to five straight playoff appearances, including one NBA finals berth. There's a strong case to be made that he had the best Magic career of any player ever to suit up for the team; generally speaking, that sort of thing tends to get you recognized come the end of your career. (Provided, of course, everyone in the old town has stopped hating you by then.)

The end of your career, though. Not perpetual recognition mid-stream, and certainly not when this is the reason why Harris requested the number:

(Howard likely didn't know, and perhaps still doesn't know, that Harris wanted to wear No. 12 as a tribute to a close friend who had died of leukemia at 17 years old.)

You'd certainly hope he didn't, right? (For more on the backstory of Harris' relationship with his late friend and the No. 12, you should check out this March 2013 story by Newsday's Barbara Barker.)

Howard's displeasure at the Magic's willingness to grant another player his old number seven-plus months after he'd set out for California smacks of the precise sort of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too wishful thinking that's led so many people to become so frustrated by the center over the past three years. He can say, as he did to Robbins, that he's past the point of caring if everybody loves him, but comments like this call that into question

El Kabong
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
What a bitch.

coin24
10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Enjoy him rockets fans:roll:

TheReturn
10-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't know whats wrong with this statement. I agree with him.

wally_world
10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Actually, the Magic intentionally traded for someone that wants to wear #12 just to piss Dwight off :lol

Xiao Yao You
10-16-2013, 11:17 AM
What a bitch.

""

miamiandorlando
10-16-2013, 11:18 AM
if harris didn't have the reason that he does for wearing it i would be too, but at the same time dwigh should probably have his number retired by the magic at some point tbh

ZMonkey11
10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
if harris didn't have the reason that he does for wearing it i would be too, but at the same time dwigh should probably have his number retired by the magic at some point tbh

When do Shaq and Penny get their numbers retired?

Eric Cartman
10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Retiring numbers is stupid tbh.

Rake2204
10-16-2013, 11:21 AM
This is something that is probably better left unsaid. Regardless of honesty or intent, it's going to be tough to say something like this and not leave people feeling like, "Wait, so you throw a fit and jump ship and now you insist we honor you the moment you're gone?"

CanYouDigIt
10-16-2013, 11:21 AM
Dwight is just conserned that ORL will try and make an excuse on why they can't retire his jersey.

miamiandorlando
10-16-2013, 11:24 AM
When do Shaq and Penny get their numbers retired?

shaq's should be soon, it's the magics 25th season and i expect some ceremony of some sort, i know tmac is going to be "honored" on the first game
i have been waiting for penny and shaq to get retired for a while:(

2LeTTeRS
10-16-2013, 11:25 AM
He contributed as much as any player in Magic history; not sure why this is news-worthy :confusedshrug:....

Take Your Lumps
10-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Jesus Christ what an entitled little vag.

He didn't owe the Magic anything so he left. They don't owe him shit either.

[QUOTE]Tobias wears number 12 to tribute his close friend and former teammate Morgan Childs, who died at age 17 due to leukemia. Although he was unable to wear 12 during his time with the Milwaukee Bucks, Harris switched back after he was traded to the Orlando Magic during the 2012

CanYouDigIt
10-16-2013, 11:35 AM
With all due respect to Lee, who's been a fine-enough player for several teams over the course of his five-year NBA career, I wouldn't expect Harden to rush up to Dwight and thank him for the abundance of praise. Then again, I suppose it's not the most damning thing Howard's ever thought to say about his teammates.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

D12 exposing Lee

Kaspah
10-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Most sensitive dude ever. Like a fcking female in a dudes body.

Just play basketball!!!!!!! Jees, he's always bitching about something.

tontoz
10-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Seriously just shut up. What a biotch.

R.I.P.
10-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Dwight is just conserned that ORL will try and make an excuse on why they can't retire his jersey.

Yeah he

Take Your Lumps
10-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Lebron's face every time Dwight says something mind-numbingly stupid to the media:

http://i.imgur.com/JQB7k.gif

Nelson14
10-16-2013, 12:20 PM
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1394216_1406590389572040_1554662694_n.jpg

cool thing to do with your old dwight jerseys aside from turning them into harris jerseys

QuebecBaller
10-16-2013, 12:24 PM
shaq's should be soon, it's the magics 25th season and i expect some ceremony of some sort, i know tmac is going to be "honored" on the first game

Can a team retire the same number twice?

http://blogs.20minutos.es/quefuede/files/penny1.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/history/magic_mcgrady_blue_03.jpg

HylianNightmare
10-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Can a team retire the same number twice?

http://blogs.20minutos.es/quefuede/files/penny1.jpg

http://www.nba.com/media/history/magic_mcgrady_blue_03.jpg
i can't belive the only number the magic have retired is 6 for the fans, :lol that's one of the most retarded jersey retirements ever:facepalm

edrick
10-16-2013, 02:56 PM
conceited prick.

niko
10-16-2013, 03:07 PM
When you dump a girl and then call her up and say "i don't appreciate how you are acting now, it hurts me" they tend to laugh at you. He wants Orlando after leaving to appreciate him more? Serious? He's talking about this?

DaSeba5
10-16-2013, 03:09 PM
This guy has the worst P/R staff working with him that I have ever seen. Every week there's a new reason to dislike him.

OldSkoolball#52
10-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I legitimately did not think it possible that I could take this guy any less seriously.

But apparently...

ANYTHINGS POSSSSIIBBBLLLLLLEEEEEEE

kentatm
10-16-2013, 03:12 PM

Then you are just as deluded and entitled as he is.

The guy acted like a complete asshole his last two years there. He was trying to force his way out all the while blatantly lying to the public about it.

Let's also not ignore that Shaq has not yet had his # retired by the Magic yet Dwight thinks he is deserving of such an honor less than a year after quit on the franchise? Really?

On top of that HE IS STILL IN THE LEAGUE.

Who the ****s retires a number for a guy still playing?

NumberSix
10-16-2013, 03:13 PM
That is super weak

KyrieTheFuture
10-16-2013, 03:26 PM
What's this? The media intentionally making Dwight Howard look bad? Shocking.

Also, he's mad because Tobias Harris was not number 12 prior to being on the Magic so he's obviously confused as to why he changed it. Why would Dwight know about his dead friend?

Levity
10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I wonder how butthurt he was when he saw gadzuric wearing #12 in preseason.

longtime lurker
10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
What's this? The media intentionally making Dwight Howard look bad? Shocking.

Also, he's mad because Tobias Harris was not number 12 prior to being on the Magic so he's obviously confused as to why he changed itWhy would Dwight know about his dead friend?

The better questions is why does he give a flying fvck? The Magic owe Dwight nothing and the fact that he's even effected by this just shows how much a little bitch he truly is.

2LeTTeRS
10-16-2013, 03:33 PM
Let's also not ignore that Shaq has not yet had his # retired by the Magic yet Dwight thinks he is deserving of such an honor less than a year after quit on the franchise? Really?

On top of that HE IS STILL IN THE LEAGUE.

While we all agree Shaq was much better than Dwight; he stayed in Orlando for only 4 years, so I'm not surprised that his number wasn't retired. Dwight stayed double that amount of time.

The better questions is why does he give a flying fvck? The Magic owe Dwight nothing and the fact that he's even effected by this just shows how much a little bitch he truly is.

This is like asking why people care about making the Hall of Fame or getting the MVP. NEWSFLASH -- People like having their contributions acknowledged and being honored.

Twiens
10-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Dude needs to fire his PR guy....or get one

Burgz V2
10-16-2013, 03:54 PM
man this guy just never quits

Houston might actually make some noise, but this guy is just too distracted by everything people do or say. Play ball and shut people up if youre so upset stop whining about it.

DuMa
10-16-2013, 03:59 PM
I made a thread about this last season. Orlando as an organization broke a unofficial rule imho. Theres a certain grace period for when your superstar leaves the team that you dont allow another player to wear that number for all those years of great service he did for your team. it doesnt look good for the next time they want to attract a high profile FA. Cleveland doesnt let anyone wear #23 when Lebron left. and they remain doing so. That one mutual respect may or may not get Lebron back but at least they didnt burn that bridge.

Dwight isnt right here either. He shouldnt have voiced it publically as well.

HylianNightmare
10-16-2013, 04:06 PM
I made a thread about this last season. Orlando as an organization broke a unofficial rule imho. Theres a certain grace period for when your superstar leaves the team that you dont allow another player to wear that number for all those years of great service he did for your team. it doesnt look good for the next time they want to attract a high profile FA. Cleveland doesnt let anyone wear #23 when Lebron left. and they remain doing so. That one mutual respect may or may not get Lebron back but at least they didnt burn that bridge.

i agree with this, as shitty as what dwight did was, it isn't worse than what lebron did and even they keep 23 off limits to this day. and not to be harsh but to give it to some scrub (Harris wasn't much when he initially got traded to the magic) is a big slap in the face

Mr Exlax
10-16-2013, 04:12 PM
These are the times it makes me cringe being a Dwight fan. I can understand why he would be upset, but I don't agree with it. The flipside, I can totally understand why they let Tobias wear it. I hope like hell D12 didn't know what the number meant to Tobias.

KyrieTheFuture
10-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Say your girlfriend breaks up with you but keeps some of your stuff. You run into her and her new boyfriend who is wearing your clothes. You wouldn't care?

Heavincent
10-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Dwight literally acts like a woman. It's pathetic.

And some of you guys have really low standards for what it takes to get your jersey retired. You don't get your jersey retired for having a few pretty good seasons and then proceeding to throw your coach and teammates under the bus before leaving in a ridiculously prolonged fashion.

KyrieTheFuture
10-16-2013, 04:20 PM

And some of you guys have really low standards for what it takes to get your jersey retired. You don't get your jersey retired for having a few pretty good seasons and then proceeding to throw your coach and teammates under the bus before leaving in a ridiculously prolonged fashion.

Wow you really don't think Kobe should get his jersey retired?

QuebecBaller
10-16-2013, 04:22 PM
i can't belive the only number the magic have retired is 6 for the fans, :lol that's one of the most retarded jersey retirements ever:facepalm

:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr220/sporster74/smilies/sigROFLMAO.gif

longtime lurker
10-16-2013, 04:22 PM
This is like asking why people care about making the Hall of Fame or getting the MVP. NEWSFLASH -- People like having their contributions acknowledged and being honored.

You must have misinterpreted my post because your response makes no sense. Dwight is still playing in the league and he hasn't retired if the Magic let another player wear his old jersey number than so be it. My response has nothing to do with him wanting his contributions acknowledged.

Say your girlfriend breaks up with you but keeps some of your stuff. You run into her and her new boyfriend who is wearing your clothes. You wouldn't care?

Except in this case Dwight broke up with the Magic and put his ex girlfriend through a year of hell. Even your analogy doesn't work because Dwight doesn't actually own the number 12.

Heavincent
10-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Wow you really don't think Kobe should get his jersey retired?

Kobe left the Lakers? What team does he play for now? I didn't know he was a free agent. Kind of weird that I didn't hear anything about that.

HylianNightmare
10-16-2013, 04:25 PM

in dwights case i would consider being one of the biggest reasons the Magic got their ONLY Finals victory would mean something, in addition to his 3 DPoys while he was here

kentatm
10-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Well, Dwight broke up with Orlando and he never "owned" the number 12.

This is more like if YOU dumped the girl after stringing her along for a year and a half and got pissed that she let her new BF wear her sweatshirt that you always liked to borrow from her.

even going by your incorrect scenario you would be a dick for getting pissed about a new guy wearing your old shirt that you never cared enough about to get back.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Except, D-Ho is the one who "broke up" w/ Orlando. :oldlol:

KyleKong
10-16-2013, 04:34 PM
In before Dwight gets Tobias Harris traded.

KyrieTheFuture
10-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Wow am I the only one who remembers Dwight resigning as a poor way of pleasing everyone and an attempt to make sure he wasn't traded to LA (which happened anyway). You guys have some sweet revisionist history.

Jameerthefear
10-16-2013, 04:40 PM
This is the stupidest shit I've ever heard. What a fvcking diva.
(btw where are out avatars?)

HylianNightmare
10-16-2013, 04:59 PM
(btw where are out avatars?)

jeff was a little short on his rent money:lol

Take Your Lumps
10-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Lol @ people defending Dwight with this Orlando breaking "an unwritten rule" BS.

Do we really need to go through all of the unwritten rules Dwight has ignored over the past few years? Please.

TheReal Kendall
10-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Dwight need to shut up and play ball.

Why people think the Magic will retire his jersey?:facepalm

Dwight did nothing with the Magic.

Shaq should have his retired but not Dwight.

bluechox2
10-16-2013, 05:51 PM
dwights unhappy that the rockets didnt retire his number yet

PleezeBelieve
10-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Dwight Howard is lucky the Magic didn't give number 12 to another player the last year he was there.

ZeN
10-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Dwight did nothing with the Magic.

Didnt they both take their team to the finals with marginal talent, lose and then promptly leave right after?

andremiller07
10-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Someone just needs to drop Dwight on opening night hopefully knock some sense into that clown.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/dwight-howard-little-upset-orlando-magic-let-tobias-142542144--nba.html

:cry: :facepalm

Lol is it that time of month? B!tch is pmsing again

PejaNowitzki
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
**** this bi-polar ass whiny bitch.

Baliod
10-16-2013, 10:11 PM
You guys wouldn't be upset at all if the team you spent 8 season with let a player take your number after 1 season? He is the franchise leader in points, blocks and rebounds and they relinquish his number just like that?

longtime lurker
10-16-2013, 10:16 PM
You guys wouldn't be upset at all if the team you spent 8 season with let a player take your number after 1 season? He is the franchise leader in points, blocks and rebounds and they relinquish his number just like that?

Been said before. Dwight's a complete bitch and left Orlando on bad terms. What exactly do they owe to him?

outbreak
10-16-2013, 10:24 PM

Orlando owes him nothing, he left on his own and he left under bad terms that he created himself. Commenting on it like this is a bitch move anyway, fair enough being disappointed but complaining in the media without even know why tobias wanted that number is just another example of how out of touch with the world he is.

Bosnian Sajo
10-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Thank GOD this pansy is off our team, Lakers were a laughing stock with him smh.

Doranku
10-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Why are people blaming the PR people? Like yeah, maybe they should be doing a better job of censoring what this idiot says, but it can't all be their fault. They can't control him.

I am SO happy this worthless piece of shit is off the Lakers. :party:

R.I.P.
10-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Dwight: They need to retire my jersey. Who else would? Not like I

All Net
10-17-2013, 01:24 AM
Dwight needs to just relax and just play.

All Net
10-17-2013, 01:25 AM
Thank GOD this pansy is off our team, Lakers were a laughing stock with him smh.

We were a laughing stock but he wasn't the problem.

crisoner
10-17-2013, 01:46 AM
So now Dwight is worried about his legacy.
Because he damn well knows that if he doesn't bring a title to Houston he will not be having his number retired there. So if that dosent work out he will always have Orlando right????? WRONG!!!! Reap what you Sow Howard!!!

DKLaker
10-17-2013, 01:47 AM
We were a laughing stock but he wasn't the problem.

:cheers:

greymatter
10-17-2013, 04:16 AM

No, Shaq will never have his number retired in Orlando because he acted like a little bitch when he left (mainly over an Orlando Sentinel article), though he wasn't as bad as Dwight. Penny had too short of a prime before he was traded. Tmac won't either because he quit and refused to play near the end of the season (the one before they drafted Howard). He then forced a trade, refusing to wait to see if Dwight Howard was going to develop into a big time player.

Tmac, Shaq, and Howard will never have their numbers retired because they all acted like petulant bitches when they left or forced trades.