PDA

View Full Version : Best shows on basic network tv?

Levity
10-17-2013, 01:38 PM
and what i mean by network (cause maybe im using the wrong term) are channels 2-13.

i pretty much only watch cable shows. the last "network" show i followed was veronica mars. but i know a majority of the US watches channels 2-13 (maybe cause they have to, or maybe cause they prefer those shows)

so to those of you that have shows you watch on those channels, do you have any recommendations?

I pretty much have no clue as to what shows are on what channels these days. I went from memorizing fox's weekly line up (years ago) to not knowing any shows they air on it anymore.

One NBC show i actually follow though is, Parenthood. Typical family drama show, but it caught my attention. and with it being on netflix, i have reason to give it a shot.

DuMa
10-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Community

Proctor
10-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Good call on Parenthood, Levity. Great show.

I also enjoy Rookie Blue (which comes on ABC in the summer if I remember correctly. I don't watch it on TV.) Your everyday cop show but quite a bit more enjoyable than the average. Solid acting + Missy Peregyrm = :bowdown:

Thorpesaurous
10-17-2013, 02:09 PM
The only show I watch on Network TV is Modern Family on ABC, which is a little uninspired I suppose, but it does what it does well.

I'd like to get into Community and Parks and Rec, which I just watched some of in syndication, because their quirkyness, which seemed to doom them with the american cross section, is really right up my alley, and I find that I've liked work that all the people involved in have done. But that's all stuff I'm going to have to Netflix.

I generally don't consistently watch comedies much anymore. Modern Family. Louis. EastBound. Curb. I think that's pretty much the list.

FatComputerNerd
10-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Revolution isn't a half bad show, although I haven't started watching season 2 yet. I like to wait until I have a bunch of episodes to watch at once rather than waiting a week for the next one...

Anyhow, it's on NBC. Not the best show in the world or anything but if you like post-apocalyptic sci-fi stuff you may enjoy it.

Myth
10-17-2013, 02:23 PM
I can't think of a worse year for network tv. This is the first year that I can think of where I don't watch any of NBC's Thursday night comedies (that will change when Community comes back assuming it remains on Thursdays).

Basic Network shows I watch:
Monday: How I Met Your Mother (Actually a couple episodes behind and I only watch it to finish it now even though the quality has been down for years).
Tuesday: Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Favorite new comedy of the year)
Wednesday: Modern Family
Thursday: Nothing
Friday: I haven't seen a single episode all season because of it being on Friday nights, but I kind of like The Neighbors.

So I'm essentially watching 3 basic network shows, and I'm behind on 1 of them.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 02:40 PM
only ones I watch are, amazing race, survivor, HIMYM, Big Bang theory, Brooklyn nine nine, modern family. None of these are cant miss tv for me

Overall HBO and AMC are much better.

DukeDelonte13
10-17-2013, 02:59 PM
my wife watches that how i met your mother. It seems like every time its on its always some stupid weepy tear-jerky "oh i realized i really loved this girl all along" moments.

Yuck.

BRabbiT
10-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Hostages

http://emptylighthouse.com/sites/default/files/hostage_video_tn.jpg

Jailblazers7
10-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I'd vote Parenthood as well. I think they did a great job of developing the relationships in that show and not getting too heavy handed with the way they dealt with family drama. Michael B Jordan was awesome on the show and Peter Krause has been consistently good. It is nice to see a quiet, sentimental show done well.

Not a huge fan of the Joel/Julia storylines (wanna have a baby, adopted a standoffish pre-teen, etc.) but the rest of the show is very good.

Proctor
10-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I'd vote Parenthood as well. I think they did a great job of developing the relationships in that show and not getting too heavy handed with the way they dealt with family drama. Michael B Jordan was awesome on the show and Peter Krause has been consistently good. It is nice to see a quiet, sentimental show done well.

Not a huge fan of the Joel/Julia storylines (wanna have a baby, adopted a standoffish pre-teen, etc.) but the rest of the show is very good.
This. Michael B Jordan was really good, and I wish there was a way to integrate him back into the show somehow down the road.

Peter Krause is the star of the show for me. Monica Potter is really strong too, as is Max for someone so young.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Hostages

http://emptylighthouse.com/sites/default/files/hostage_video_tn.jpg

Its such a bad show lol ....
no offense, but it doesnt even make sense on any level.

enayes
10-17-2013, 04:54 PM
SURVIVOR: BLOOD VS. WATER!

I can't believe Survivor is on its 27th season! :oldlol:

I watched maybe the first 3 seasons and then some of Pearl Islands but I have returned for this season. I've been enjoying it so far.

bagelred
10-17-2013, 10:45 PM
SURVIVOR: BLOOD VS. WATER!

I can't believe Survivor is on its 27th season! :oldlol:

I watched maybe the first 3 seasons and then some of Pearl Islands but I have returned for this season. I've been enjoying it so far.

Still the best reality show by far. I've seen almost every season.

Go back and watch all the ones you missed....and get back to us.

BankShot
10-17-2013, 10:53 PM
ABC: Modern Family (Wed)

NBC: Parks and Recreation (Thur)

Fox: New Girl and Brooklyn 99 (Tue)

EricGordon23
10-18-2013, 12:18 AM
New girl
Arrow
Trophy wife
Chicago fire

enayes
10-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Still the best reality show by far. I've seen almost every season.

Go back and watch all the ones you missed....and get back to us.

That's a lot of Survivor to catch up on :oldlol:

I was considering watching Micronesia or Heroes v. Villians, some website had those two listed as two of the best ones. I don't really have that much free time though.

clipse026
10-18-2013, 12:51 AM
The Blacklist has been great so far. James Spader is the man.

KingBeasley08
10-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Arrow- pretty much my guilty pleasure

MavsSuperFan
10-18-2013, 01:45 AM
those are two of the best, these ones with mostly new players are also worth watching

china
tocantins
samoa
south pacific
philippines

there has never been a bad coach season. coach needs to play a 4th time forreal.
They need to do a heros vs villains 2

ZeN
10-18-2013, 01:59 AM
I'd say Parks and Rec and Hannibal plus The Good Wife which don't receive as much credit as they deserve.

FiveRings
10-18-2013, 06:17 AM
I watch Eastbound and Down, Big Bang Theory, Simpsons, Sam and Cat, and basketball. Fvck everything else.

ROCSteady
10-18-2013, 06:39 AM
The pilot episode of Sleepy Hollow was pretty sick. I was really impressed by the directing, acting and look of it. I'm very picky about TV too becuz unless it's AMC or cable, production values usually lack. Not this tho

The Headless Horseman is like Terminator in that shit. I liked the first episode for sure. Story is very altered from Irving Washington's tale but still good quaity

Jakeh008
10-18-2013, 06:40 AM
Tuesday- New Girl and Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Wednesday- Law & Order, Modern Family, Ironside
Thursday- The Big Bang Theory, Scandal

Those are the Basic Network Shows currently on that I still enjoy...

Bones, How I met you mother, and 2 and a half men are the other 3 I watch but I wouldn't recommend them since the last few+ seasons have been pretty bad

BRabbiT
10-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Its such a bad show lol ....
no offense, but it doesnt even make sense on any level.

none taken.

i watch it because of the mercenary emphasis.

jerry bruckheimer's decent, too.

bagelred
10-18-2013, 08:32 AM
That's a lot of Survivor to catch up on :oldlol:

Well, you better get started then. You have a lot of work to do.

But seriously, who can remember which season is which. I'd have to go back and look and see which seasons to recommend. But many seasons include returning players, so it's good to see the first time those players were on. Maybe I'll look back and recommend which seasons to watch.

As for which network TV shows I watch currently:

Survivor
Hostages (it's not great, but good enough)
Brooklyn 99 :lol
Simpsons
Community (when it comes back)
Whose Line is it Anyway (on CW, loved the original, glad brought it back)

That's pretty much it. New Girl is good, but no real desire to watch it. Used to watch Modern Family, not anymore. Most of what I watch is on HBO, Showtime, or AMC now....