PDA

View Full Version : Is there any legitmate reason for a person to not renew a drivers licsence since 2011

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I just got an application for a tenant, and he makes 2400 a month, and everything else looks ok.

Problem is he was really reluctant to show me ID. He finally showed me a black and white photocopy of a drivers license. later I realized the licence was a temporary one and expired in 2011.

What are the reasons someone wouldnt have a drivers licence?
Any help would be appreciated.
Also how do you conduct background checks? Do you need permission before hand?

Real Men Wear Green
10-17-2013, 04:59 PM
I'm not 100% sure here, but I believe that in some states they will revoke your license permanently if you have enough DUIs.

As a landlord you can get a background check on someone through a consumer reporting agency but they may charge money for that.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not 100% sure here, but I believe that in some states they will revoke your license permanently if you have enough DUIs.

As a landlord you can get a background check on someone through a consumer reporting agency but they may charge money for that.
But they wouldnt take away your drivers licence for violent crime/theft or something like that right? Just DUIs right?
Do you need to notify someone that your are checking their background?

Jailblazers7
10-17-2013, 05:05 PM
But they wouldnt take away your drivers licence for violent crime/theft or something like that right? Just DUIs right?

http://www.dmv.org/articles/top-6-reasons-for-license-suspension/

OldSkoolball#52
10-17-2013, 05:07 PM

It's possible he just didn't bother to renew it and took his chances driving without it being valid.

How are you taking applications for tenants and don't even know how to run a background check?? Are you a property manager somewhere or are you just renting out a room in your house or something?

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 05:10 PM
It's possible he just didn't bother to renew it and took his chances driving without it being valid.

How are you taking applications for tenants and don't even know how to run a background check?? Are you a property manager somewhere or are you just renting out a room in your house or something?
bought a property end of november. zero experience before hand. Used up my life savings up till now, and incurred rediculous debt, and borrowed money from the parents lol. Overall going pretty well.

OldSkoolball#52
10-17-2013, 05:15 PM
bought a property end of november. zero experience before hand. Used up my life savings up till now, and incurred rediculous debt, and borrowed money from the parents lol. Overall going pretty well.

Well congrats and all that, I'd be careful about letting a tenant move in that lets his ID be expired for that long. Not that he's dangerous it just reeks of irresponsibility and sketchiness. Evicting people is a pain in the ass process if he starts shirking his rent.

I mean honestly, how do you even function without a valid ID for so long. You need ID for so many things these days... Seems very bizarre.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Well congrats and all that, I'd be careful about letting a tenant move in that lets his ID be expired for that long. Not that he's dangerous is just reeks of irresponsibility and sketchiness. Evicting people is a pain in the ass process if he starts shirking his rent.

I mean honestly, how do you even function without a valid ID for so long. You need ID for so many things these days... Seems very bizarre.

Definitely. I was so naive about how easy it was to collect rent...
So damn naive. Back when I rented in universtiy always was super nervous about paying on time. No one else seems to be lol

I was so stupid one time I drove out to my landlords place to pay him rent so that I could avoid a late payment charge. No one has ever paid me one lol i end up being happy if they manage to pay it off by the end of the month.

Crown&Coke
10-17-2013, 05:30 PM
if you don't pay child support they will revoke your license, in CA for sure. No idea about Texas (if that's where you are)

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 05:33 PM
if you don't pay child support they will revoke your license, in CA for sure. No idea about Texas (if that's where you are)
:lol :oldlol: very funny. Thats not the only thing I care about :rolleyes:

The property in Washington state.
I am on a secondment work term in vancouver.

Crown&Coke
10-17-2013, 05:39 PM
:lol :oldlol: very funny. Thats not the only thing I care about :rolleyes:

The property in Washington state.
I am on a secondment work term in vancouver.

liar :lol

In washington they will revoke your license too.

If he/she aint paying child support, it will be reflected on their credit history

credit history bro, they can get that shit for free online. Thats what I had to go through when I had to get a place. That will tell you what you need to know regarding their ability to pay on time

Real Men Wear Green
10-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Do you need to notify someone that your are checking their background?
I'm not the legal expert to tell you which states take away license for which offenses, you'll have to ask someone else that one. I don't think thieves lose their license but that's just an opinion. You can lose it for a lot of reasons, even tax evasion.

If he just has the temp and not the real hard copy I would guess it was taken away from him but he may just have lost it and not thought it was important enough to get back.

I think (again, an opinion of a non-expert) that you do have to let someone know you are running a background check. As you will need his SSN to do that I don't see how you pull it off without him knowing anyway.

boozehound
10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
its not him. No way you should rent to him if he cant produce some form of real ID.

D-Rose
10-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Back off ASAP. That's just sketchy...you don't want that obviously. Run a background check if you must but if there are others interested, move on.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 08:37 PM
liar :lol

In washington they will revoke your license too.

If he/she aint paying child support, it will be reflected on their credit history

credit history bro, they can get that shit for free online. Thats what I had to go through when I had to get a place. That will tell you what you need to know regarding their ability to pay on time
You serious about the child support thing?
I didnt even realize that...

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 08:39 PM
its not him. No way you should rent to him if he cant produce some form of real ID.

Back off ASAP. That's just sketchy...you don't want that obviously. Run a background check if you must but if there are others interested, move on.
Ya I am not going to rent to him. Thanks for the advice
If I go to the county courthouse will they give me information on someone if they have a criminal record?

enayes
10-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Did you ask him?

I'd be curious as to what he has to say.

KevinNYC
10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
http://walandlord.com/

KevinNYC
10-17-2013, 09:11 PM
http://walandlord.com/tenantscreening
WLA | Tenant Screening Service

Easy setup. No inspections needed. Only $15.

All reports include the following features:

NATIONAL Criminal Search - Felony, Misdemeanor and Sex Offender records
Washington State Criminal Search - Includes felony, misdemeanor, juvenile, sex offender, infractions and criminal traffic cases, along with alerts on open warrants.
NATIONAL Bankruptcy Search - 10 year history for all bankruptcy records
Eviction Records -Washington state-wide eviction records. Some records are available in other select states. Please call or email for more details on specific locations.
Civil Records - Washington court records. Collections, Garnishments, NSF-Checks, Name Changes, Harassment, Small Claims, Tax Warrants.
Social Security Verification - We will make sure the SSN is valid and does not have any alerts.
WA Drivers License Verification - We will make sure the license is valid in WA state.
Address History - 10 year residence history
Alias Names - Records are searched using all alias names.
FITNESS RATING - WLA also provides a tenant fitnes rating as to likely-hood of tenant success using 17 statistical factors proven to predict good tenants.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 09:15 PM
http://walandlord.com/tenantscreening
WLA | Tenant Screening Service

Easy setup. No inspections needed. Only $15.

All reports include the following features:

NATIONAL Criminal Search - Felony, Misdemeanor and Sex Offender records
Washington State Criminal Search - Includes felony, misdemeanor, juvenile, sex offender, infractions and criminal traffic cases, along with alerts on open warrants.
NATIONAL Bankruptcy Search - 10 year history for all bankruptcy records
Eviction Records -Washington state-wide eviction records. Some records are available in other select states. Please call or email for more details on specific locations.
Civil Records - Washington court records. Collections, Garnishments, NSF-Checks, Name Changes, Harassment, Small Claims, Tax Warrants.
Social Security Verification - We will make sure the SSN is valid and does not have any alerts.
WA Drivers License Verification - We will make sure the license is valid in WA state.
Address History - 10 year residence history
Alias Names - Records are searched using all alias names.
FITNESS RATING - WLA also provides a tenant fitnes rating as to likely-hood of tenant success using 17 statistical factors proven to predict good tenants.

Thank you man. I really mean it. Repped

Scholar
10-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I wouldn't bother with someone who can't even be bothered to renew his ID. I don't know his situation, but it's not one you want to risk handing the keys to your property for.

KevinNYC
10-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Thank you man. I really mean it. Repped
Yeah, there are somethings in life you don't learn from a basketball board.

You might also be able to charge the tenant for the background check.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 10:12 PM
Yeah, there are somethings in life you don't learn from a basketball board.

You might also be able to charge the tenant for the background check.
:biggums: niqqa you contradict yourself in the same post

KevinNYC
10-17-2013, 11:08 PM
:biggums: niqqa you contradict yourself in the same post

No, you may want to ask about that on the other website.

MavsSuperFan
10-17-2013, 11:20 PM
No, you may want to ask about that on the other website.
I will take my chances with ISH thank you very much.
I have it on good authority that the average IQ around here is 280+