PDA

View Full Version : What American accent do you have? (short quiz)

gigantes
10-18-2013, 01:39 PM
http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

was it accurate for you?

so far friends from back east have gotten pretty correct results. personally it did a good job picking out that i have a philly / midwest combo accent.

not sure how accurate it's going to be for various ethnicities, though.

B-Low
10-18-2013, 01:47 PM
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Yep, from Ohio. And have a degree in journalism. Good job quiz lol

TylerOO
10-18-2013, 01:48 PM
Right for me. Northeast/Philadelphia were the top two suggestions.

tmacattack33
10-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Accurate for me somewhat

beer
10-18-2013, 01:51 PM
wrong for me. said midlands, but i was born and raised in california

Scholar
10-18-2013, 02:20 PM
This is what I got:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm from California. :confusedshrug:

DukeDelonte13
10-18-2013, 02:22 PM
south ohio and south indiana definitely have a twinge of that hillbilly drawl.

rustbelt people all sound the same. (cle, det, buffalo, chicago, etc.)

EDIT:

Your Result: The Inland North

85%
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Right on the money.

Myth
10-18-2013, 02:26 PM
It said Boston for me, which is not accurate. I've never even been to that area of the country. However, it does say 88% match and The West was also 88% which would have been correct. I'm just confused as to why it would have Boston and The West so similar.

Styles p
10-18-2013, 02:27 PM
right for me 87% philly

sunsfan1357
10-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Inland North. I'm a Californian.

TheSilentKiller
10-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Great lakes represent bitches :rockon:

Myth
10-18-2013, 02:42 PM
Inland North. I'm a Californian.

I think it just is completely off with the West coast.

Stuckey
10-18-2013, 02:46 PM
jesus

the thing even said Canadian

Levity
10-18-2013, 03:01 PM
west, baby!

PieceOfFelt
10-18-2013, 03:03 PM
I have the Inland North Accent which is the correct accent to have.

-p.tiddy-
10-18-2013, 03:13 PM

:applause:

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-18-2013, 03:20 PM
West coast, the best coast.

MavsSuperFan
10-18-2013, 03:36 PM
What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

77%

Inaccurate for me, though I think it is because I watched so much tv growing up that my accent is kind of mainstream american. Back when people did used to watch tv so much I think accents were more significant

MP.Trey
10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Your Result:*North Central*86%
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot

This is perfect since I am Canadian. just wanted to see if it would pick up on it. Well done.

iggy>
10-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Philadelphia 87%.

Bosnian Sajo
10-18-2013, 05:07 PM
The West 96%

Waaaay off :oldlol: I live in Florida. Don't have a southern accent like rednecks, but more of a southern florida/georgia urban accent...if that makes any sense.

Swaggin916
10-18-2013, 05:08 PM
wrong for me. said midlands, but i was born and raised in california

Same here... but it said I have no accent which is accurate. The West was it's next option though.

QuebecBaller
10-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Inland North - 90%

From Quebec :D

Inactive
10-18-2013, 06:37 PM

88%

TheReal Kendall
10-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Spot on for me.

93% The Souf!

KingBeasley08
10-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Got Midland. I'm from Maryland :confusedshrug:

red1
10-18-2013, 07:00 PM

95%

this thing seems so sure too

johndeeregreen
10-20-2013, 01:48 PM
100% Minnesotan. "People probably mistake you for a Canadian."

tomtucker
10-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Philadelphia 87%

:biggums:

bagelred
10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Your Result: The Northeast

94%
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

You are also incredibly smart and handsome.

Got me perfectly. Pretty much none of those words sounded the same to me.

We're going to start with two ordinary words, "cot" and "caught." Do you think those words sound the same or different?

I think this really pegs New Yorkers. I know most people in the U.S. say coffee, but in New York, we say "Caughfee". Like the word "awe" in the middle.

CeltsGarlic
10-20-2013, 02:46 PM
The Northeast 97%.
I did spend whole summer in NY tho :lol

Is He Ill
10-20-2013, 02:51 PM
94% Boston accent and I live in Texas :oldlol:

fsvr54
10-20-2013, 03:01 PM
85% Midland

Pretty accurate, I'm from South Florida, not the hick southerner part

JimmyMcAdocious
10-20-2013, 03:09 PM
88% Midland.

85% Inland North
82% Northeast
81% Philly
78% South
50% West
34% Boston
11% North Central

Nope.

East_Stone_Ya
10-20-2013, 03:51 PM
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

east coast :pimp:

hovermaster
10-20-2013, 04:28 PM
100% northeast.
I'm from southern Ontario, Canada

Uncle Drew
10-20-2013, 04:58 PM
I'm for the Netherlands:

85%

#number6ix#
10-20-2013, 07:05 PM
90% midland
87% south

I'm from Florida so ill say this is very accurate for me

MMM
10-20-2013, 09:33 PM
You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

86% Inland North, from The great lakes, Toronto

BrooklynZoo
10-20-2013, 11:00 PM
100% northeast.

I dont get that Mary, merry, marry question though. To me Mary and marry sound the same, but they don't even give you that option

bagelred
10-20-2013, 11:24 PM
100% northeast.

I dont get that Mary, merry, marry question though. To me Mary and marry sound the same, but they don't even give you that option

I had trouble with Mary vs. marry too. I had trouble deciding. But they are slightly different. The "a" sound is different.

ace23
10-20-2013, 11:41 PM
I had trouble with Mary vs. marry too. I had trouble deciding. But they are slightly different. The "a" sound is different.
I say all three exactly the same.

BrooklynZoo
10-20-2013, 11:58 PM
I say all three exactly the same.

i dont get how Mary and merry could sound the same

The_Yearning
10-21-2013, 12:04 AM

Yep, from Ohio. And have a degree in journalism. Good job quiz lol

Same here lol. Florida represent. 83%.

ace23
10-21-2013, 12:52 AM
i dont get how Mary and merry could sound the same
I don't get how they don't lol. I don't think I've met anyone who pronounces them differently.

bluechox2
10-21-2013, 12:54 AM
northeast, but thats like asking if anyone in the audience knows a john or jim

Inferno
10-21-2013, 01:43 AM
This is what I got:

I'm from California. :confusedshrug:

Same.

bagelred
10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
I don't get how they don't lol. I don't think I've met anyone who pronounces them differently.

Wow. Because here all three are different.

"Merry" the sound is "meh".. "Meh-ry". Rhymes with "ferry".
"Marry" rhymes with the names "Harry" and "Larry". You have to open mouth wider to say the "a" sound.
"Mary" rhymes with "tear" or "care"...rhymes with "hairy". Rhymes with "air".

All three are different, although "marry" and "Mary" sound closer. "Merry" is very different.

rufuspaul
10-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Midland for me which I guess is pretty accurate although my Northern friends say I have a Southern accent.

$LakerGold
10-21-2013, 10:27 AM

85%

:lol Pretty cool.

But English is my second language, & I grew up in a military base in Germany for 7-9 years. Super mixed community. So I don't know, I used to talk like a black person -- terms, phrases, pronunciation, you name it... but that all changed for some reason, maybe I grew out of it? I tend to mimic peoples pronunciation sometimes, like Jersey or Long Island accents. haha those are fun.

ace23
10-21-2013, 10:46 AM

"Marry" rhymes with the names "Harry" and "Larry". You have to open mouth wider to say the "a" sound.

All three are different, although "marry" and "Mary" sound closer. "Merry" is very different.
Most Americans pronounce all three the same according to a Google search. :confusedshrug: :oldlol:

$LakerGold
10-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Most Americans pronounce all three the same according to a Google search. :confusedshrug: :oldlol:
Go back to school.

ace23
10-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Go back to school.
You talking to just me or most Americans as well?

bagelred
10-21-2013, 04:23 PM
You talking to just me or most Americans as well?

I couldn't care less about "most of America". I'm telling you the way it's said here in New York. Describe how they are said in your area, and how it's different than what I wrote.

Bucket_Nakedz
10-21-2013, 04:24 PM
91% inland north. :wtf:

JEFFERSON MONEY
10-21-2013, 04:26 PM
wtf

midlands?

i was born in lived n between boston and nyc my entire life

BrooklynZoo
10-21-2013, 05:56 PM

thats how i pronounce the first two but my Mary rhymes with Larry, just like the Mary Had a Little Lamb renditions I YouTubed lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_K9hFxSvDM

Hazard
10-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.
Well ok then.

ace23
10-21-2013, 06:08 PM
I couldn't care less about "most of America". I'm telling you the way it's said here in New York. Describe how they are said in your area, and how it's different than what I wrote.
k

all are pronounced exactly the same in houston from what I've heard. They all rhyme with carry.

Rake2204
10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
I was playing a game where folks had to portray a specific accent and a person had to guess the accent. To be really stereotypical about it, an example would be saying, "G'day, mate" with an inflection that'd lead the person to guess, "Australian!"

Anyway, a lot of the accents were pretty easy to portray in a recognizable fashion (valley girl, southern, Scottish) but things got a little rough when the game first dictated we use a New Yorker accent. We pulled that off successfully. But then the game eventually came back and begin asking for a Brooklyn accent, then Long Island, and possibly Bronx.

My ignorant question is, how does one differentiate between all of those accents? I tended to throw them all under one general "New Yorker" accent. Even New Jersian was tough for me to differentiate.

BrooklynZoo
10-21-2013, 06:14 PM
k

all are pronounced exactly the same in houston from what I've heard. They all rhyme with carry.

so Texans say Marry Christmas?

bagelred
10-21-2013, 06:17 PM
thats how i pronounce the first two but my Mary rhymes with Larry, just like the Mary Had a Little Lamb renditions I YouTubed lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_K9hFxSvDM

Interesting. To me, in the video, it sounds like she's saying "Merry". But I say Mary like an adult female horse with a y: Mare-y.

And speaking of horses, this topic is like a dead horse. We beat it to death. I think I'm gonna get a cup of Cough-ee now.

ace23
10-21-2013, 06:42 PM
so Texans say Marry Christmas?
All three are pronounced the same way in TX so yeah, here, it's pronounced how you would say "marry".

New Yorkers talk funny.

KingBeasley08
10-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I say all three of them the same way as well