PDA

View Full Version : Why is Paul George getting so overrated?

Inferno
10-18-2013, 08:57 PM
He averaged 17/7.6/4 on 42/36/81 shooting in the regular season and 19/7.4/5 on 43/33/73 shooting in the playoffs...

I mean those are solid numbers but not top 10-15 level...hell, rookie Damian Lillard put up almost identical numbers :confusedshrug: Where's the justification for putting PG so high?

Johnny Jones
10-18-2013, 09:00 PM
He's an elite defender. That's why.

Inferno
10-18-2013, 09:01 PM
He's an elite defender. That's why.

Elite enough to be ranked as high as people are ranking him?

Legends66NBA7
10-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Because like many have mentioned, ESPN's rankings are based of predictions, so there's a lot of high ranking for him due to his potential. George has a lot of upside to develop in the offense department. He's already an elite level defender and I've see some consider him comparable to a Tracy McGrady-lite player.

If he can become a consistent 20-25ppg scorer, then I'd think it's safe to say this prediction will be bang on. I think he can become 20+ppg scorer on decent efficiency this coming season.

OldSkoolball#52
10-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Elite enough to be ranked as high as people are ranking him?

Better than melo and kobe for sure.

Inferno
10-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Because like many have mentioned, ESPN's rankings are based of predictions, so there's a lot of high ranking for him due to his potential. George has a lot of upside to develop in the offense department. He's already an elite level defender and I've see some consider him comparable to a Tracy McGrady-lite player.

If he can become a consistent 20-25ppg scorer, then I'd think it's safe to say this prediction will be bang on. I think he can become 20+ppg scorer on decent efficiency this coming season.

Yeah, I he can definitely become a 20/7/6 kind of guy on good efficiency if he keeps improving, but I don't see any justification for putting him over Melo right now :confusedshrug:

Dro
10-18-2013, 09:05 PM
I told people the PG hate was getting strong and this was months ago. People tried to tell me I was seeing things. No, I wasn't. I constantly see more and more threads and comments asking the same questions and downing the dudes game. Only talking about FG% and ignoring his defense and rebounding. Also, Vogel has a horrible offensive system, that is part of the reason he shot such a low percentage. The guy is a good but not great shooter and has the ability to get the basket and finish. He's not your average 42% shooter. I promise you that if people didn't constantly harp on his fg% and ignore everything else he does, people would never know his shooting percentage was that low because he does a very good offensive game. But the guy is very young and made a huge leap from his 2nd to 3rd year and was also thrown into the role of go-to guy, at least on the perimeter and had to adjust on the fly. I think he played damn good considering the circumstances and Vogel's ball stopping offense.

Dro
10-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Yeah, I he can definitely become a 20/7/6 kind of guy on good efficiency if he keeps improving, but I don't see any justification for putting him over Melo right now :confusedshrug:
No, I would not put him over Melo as a scorer. As an overall player? Thats highly debatable. He does everything else better than Melo except scoring. Unless I am missing something.

Johnny Jones
10-18-2013, 09:08 PM
I told people the PG hate was getting strong and this was months ago. People tried to tell me I was seeing things. No, I wasn't. I constantly see more and more threads and comments asking the same questions and downing the dudes game. Only talking about FG% and ignoring his defense and rebounding. Also, Vogel has a horrible offensive system, that is part of the reason he shot such a low percentage. The guy is a good but not great shooter and has the ability to get the basket and finish. He's not your average 42% shooter. I promise you that if people didn't constantly harp on his fg% and ignore everything else he does, people would never know his shooting percentage was that low because he does a very good offensive game. But the guy is very young and made a huge leap from his 2nd to 3rd year and was also thrown into the role of go-to guy, at least on the perimeter and had to adjust on the fly. I think he played damn good considering the circumstances and Vogel's ball stopping offense.
Excellent post.

Legends66NBA7
10-18-2013, 09:09 PM

No, he's not over Melo, so far in his young career. Could he be this season ? I doubt it, he would have to make major strides and the Pacers are pretty deep team for me to see George really become a guy who's going to get his individual numbers and for the team to be successful at the same time.

OldSkoolball#52
10-18-2013, 09:12 PM
No, he's not over Melo, so far in his young career. Could he be this season ? I doubt it, he would have to make major strides and the Pacers are pretty deep team for me to see George really become a guy who's going to get his individual numbers and for the team to be successful at the same time.

All Melo does is shot jack. Hes not a valuable player. The Nuggets were as good with him as without and the Knicks were as good without him as with him.

His impact is a myth perpetuated by the dumb average fan who thinks higher ppg = better player

tmacattack33
10-18-2013, 09:12 PM
I really don't see why ESPN now does "projections".

That's pretty ridiculous...once i found out that that is what their list is based on, i stopped following it.

I mean i guess projections could help for fantasy bball players, but what other meaning does it hold? It's a fictitious list based on random hunches and guesses.

Dro
10-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Excellent post.
Thanks. I also wanted to add that his 41% is not like Iverson or Arenas or Brandon Jennings shooting a very low percentage because he does not take as many shots as those guys. The Pacers have a lot of players that can score and they don't rely on his scoring like most teams would. He ends up taking a lot of shots just because he may go an entire quarter without shooting and he just takes a shot to remind the defense that he's still there. Sometimes he'll just decide to go 1 on 1 and shoot a tough shot but his shot selection is generally good, unlike most guys who shoot that low of a percentage and take a ton of tough shots and gun their teammates out of the game. You'd never get the impression that PG ever messes up the offensive continuity or anything when watching him on the court. He kind've just fills in when needed and hits some big shots occasionally. He definitely needs to work on his offensive awareness when he tries to be aggressive though. He puts his head down and doesn't recognize when the help is coming. But he has plenty of time to work on that. Great offensive awareness comes with time and experience.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-18-2013, 09:23 PM
At least PG does other things to impact the game.

All Melo does is shot jack. Hes not a valuable player. The Nuggets were as good with him as without and the Knicks were as good without him as with him.

His impact is a myth perpetuated by the dumb average fan who thinks higher ppg = better player

The media coverage of his game is insane. Guy gets a pass for hero ball (no playmaking and selfish play), and is frequently called “the best scorer in the game” for what he CAN do but not what he CONSISTENTLY does.

Dude is a versatile scorer, but doesn't score from the floor consistently (evident by his 55 games shooting 40% or less as a Knick. :oldlol:)

OldSkoolball#52
10-18-2013, 09:31 PM
[QUOTE=kuniva_dAMiGhTy]At least PG does other things to impact the game.

The media coverage of his game is insane. Guy gets a pass for hero ball (no playmaking and selfish play), and is frequently called

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-18-2013, 09:37 PM
All true. I guess he just has the kind of game that always has and always will apeal to the lowest common denominator fan.

As Ive said before: Low IQ fans like low IQ players

You add the lack of effort on defense and you get a media hyped "superstar". One dimensional, and even though he’s ultra talented at that dimension, he’s not a complete professional team basketball player by any stretch of the imagination.

Just the truth...

Bigsmoke
10-18-2013, 09:42 PM
He rated fine. He is still very young too

OldSkoolball#52
10-18-2013, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=kuniva_dAMiGhTy]You add the lack of effort on defense and you get a media hyped "superstar". One dimensional, and even though he

Jameerthefear
10-18-2013, 09:45 PM
And its not as if his scoring is efficient enough to be difference making like Dirk or Durant, or a Charles Barkley back in the day. Hes simply just a guy who shoots a lot. Just because he makes contested shots at the exact same percentage a collection of gallinari and chandler and felton and others can make open ones doesnt really make him valuable. Basketball is not about one guy taking on five. Thats the hero myth that the media pushes on the dumb fans, and the dumb fans eat it up.

Carmelo is essentially a role player, he simply has a role that a lot of people like to watch someone perform which is shooting. He aint no more valuable than Marc Gasol or Joakim Noah
lol @ calling carmelo a role player. stop posting bruh.

OldSkoolball#52
10-18-2013, 09:51 PM
lol @ calling carmelo a role player. stop posting bruh.

He doesnt elevate a team. Thats the difference between a star and a role player.

Carmelos teams achieve the exact same with or without him. His only "skill" is to score baskets at a success rate that the rest of the team would have achieved anyway.

Hes a streetballer. And that gets dumb fans excited in the pants but its not an effective way to play nba basketball.

Le Shaqtus
10-18-2013, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=kuniva_dAMiGhTy]At least PG does other things to impact the game.

The media coverage of his game is insane. Guy gets a pass for hero ball (no playmaking and selfish play), and is frequently called

SamuraiSWISH
10-18-2013, 10:36 PM
I've been saying the kid is overrated, while everyone has been on his pipe.

(e)
10-18-2013, 10:39 PM
Days of every team having 20ppg scorers is gone, it's a different game than 5-6 years ago.

Only looking at stats to say you think a player is overrated is also retarded. PG has massive amounts of potential due to his size and length, and is already one of the best defenders in the league. Once his offensive game becomes a little more consistent him being ranked that high is just fine.

I<3NBA
10-18-2013, 11:42 PM
PG's true test comes this season. teams will be game planning for him.

305Baller
10-18-2013, 11:46 PM
He seems primed for a breakout year. Let's see.

andremiller07
10-18-2013, 11:50 PM
He's played very well in a good situation and on a stacked team, he's one of the best wing players in the NBA so offcourse he's going to get a good amount of hype.

RoseCity07
10-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Because a great young player that has shown he can improve. When you've shown that you can improve like that people want to see how much better you can get. So basically a few factors play a role:

1. He improved a ton from his rookie year.
2. He's young enough to still add to his game.
3. He stepped up against Miami in the playoffs.

Greg Oden 50
10-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Why is LeBron James getting so overrated?

L.Kizzle
10-19-2013, 12:35 AM
He's a better Eddie Jones.

chazzy
10-19-2013, 02:56 AM
Melos the "chucker" even though hes a bit more efficient than George and led his team to an elite offense, while the Pacers struggled at that end. George is a great great defender and though he had a fantastic series against Lebron, he wasn't better offensively than Melo last year.

DuMa
10-19-2013, 03:09 AM
hes not overrated. he is overpaid. there is a clear difference.

russwest0
10-19-2013, 03:10 AM
Why is LeBron James getting so overrated?

ESPN sux his cox like they do with any #1 player at any given time. (Although I personally think Durant going into this year is a better player)

Thats what happens when the "worldwide leader in sports" is essentially TMZ

Dr.J4ever
10-19-2013, 03:58 AM
Well, for one thing, he's maybe the best player on one of the top 5 teams in the NBA. Numbers are all fine and dandy, but at the end of the day, winning is what counts. Indiana played toe to toe against the Heat last year, and George was a big part of that. How anyone can compare Lillard vs. George on pure numbers is not rational.

All Net
10-19-2013, 04:26 AM
He's very good but top 13 plater already? Tough to say..

Fiasco
10-19-2013, 04:54 AM
Wow this is getting ridiculous. I thought it was bad enough this guy got a max contract for playing Vogel defense, but Melo comparisons?

Holy shit.

Owl
10-19-2013, 01:28 PM
To the Melo debate, I'm not a Melo fan but based on last year (and last year was Melo's first at what I would call a superstar level, not that he wasn't good before, but his reputation was bigger than his game) George over Melo seems crazy to me. Even though George is substantially better on D.

The McGrady comp, coming out of college seemed to be more body type and fluidity than actual game. And I liked George coming out of college (I recall Simmons saying Xavier Henry would be better and thinking WTF).

The main feature of McGrady's game was efficiency caused by a ridiculously low amount of turnovers for his usage.
'03 McGrady scored 32.1 points and turned the ball over 2.6 times per game. 32.1/2.6= 12.34615
01-07 McGrady scored 26.9 ppg, had 2.6 tpg. 26.9/2.6= 10.34615

George last season had 17.4 ppg with 2.9 tpg. 17.4/2.9= 6 points per turnover. Not, bluntly speaking, McGrady territory.

For George to be moderately McGrady like or a McGrady-lite, on offense, he'd have to substantially improve his handle and ability to create shots (i.e. create many more shots whilst reducing or at least not increasing turnovers).

Eric Cartman
10-19-2013, 01:37 PM

Suprisingly good post coming from a April 2013er.

:cheers:

Dro
03-06-2014, 12:31 AM
Most overrated player in the game. Absolutely horrible.