PDA

View Full Version : Jahlil Okafor

Shade8780
10-19-2013, 06:25 PM
http://zonazealots.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/201/files/2013/06/7295026.jpg

With all the Andrew Wiggins hype, people have forgot about Okafor and the big man packed class in 2015. What do you think this guy offers potential-wise and is he worth the #1 pick?

LosBulls
10-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Aaron Gordon and Julius Randle are better.

BoutPractice
10-20-2013, 06:45 AM
He will be good, but right now I have doubts about his defensive potential. In the NBA I see him having more of an Al Jefferson, Brook Lopez, or maybe LaMarcus Aldridge kind of impact/numbers than that of a dominant two-way center. He should dominate in college though, even as a freshman.

RedBlackAttack
07-14-2015, 07:21 PM
I know it is only Summer League and we always have to preface comments with that, but god damn... so big and so skilled.

I could see him averaging 18+ this year, being that the Sixers don't have a ton of scoring. Very smooth and fluid game.

He's a terrible free throw shooter, but aside from that... I continue to love the moves that the Sixers have made. Even with Embiid having another surgery, that was the right pick. Noel was absolutely the right pick (should have been No. 1).

In the NBA, always take the BPA and worry about fit later.

EDIT: Nice block by Porzingis.

outbreak
07-14-2015, 07:28 PM
I know it is only Summer League and we always have to preface comments with that, but god damn... so big and so skilled.

I could see him averaging 18+ this year, being that the Sixers don't have a ton of scoring. Very smooth and fluid game.

He's a terrible free throw shooter, but aside from that... I continue to love the moves that the Sixers have made. Even with Embiid having another surgery, that was the right pick. Noel was absolutely the right pick (should have been No. 1).

Dunno, I see him being a great out of the gates guy but I don't see him improving much. You never know could be totally wrong but I think he becomes one of those guys people talk about how great he is at one thing (post scoring) but say if only he could do everything else.

ShawkFactory
07-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Dunno, I see him being a great out of the gates guy but I don't see him improving much. You never know could be totally wrong but I think he becomes one of those guys people talk about how great he is at one thing (post scoring) but say if only he could do everything else.
If he develops any type of midrange game he'll be unstoppable.

ISHGoat
07-14-2015, 07:50 PM

which one? the first, second, or third on okafor?

GOBB
07-14-2015, 07:55 PM
No way Okafor avg 18+ unless he manages to become a 70% FT shooter and Sixers add a pass first PG. He needs to find a way to elevate because Porz snuffed him 3 times just because of his length. Still had a solid game regardless.

I have him at 13ppg 8rpg as a rookie.

RedBlackAttack
07-14-2015, 07:58 PM
Well, I guess that's the knock on Okafor... he's really polished and skilled, but his ceiling isn't quite as high as some of the others in the draft. But, after KAT, I wouldn't have taken anyone over him.

He is definitely going to have to eventually step out of his comfort zone and develop a mid-range game. I don't ever see him having real range beyond 15-17 feet, but that alone would make him an absolute terror offensively given his exquisite post-game.

Defense and rebounding are also factors that will remain question marks until we see him in actual NBA games... and I'm assuming he has plenty of work to do on both.

plowking
07-14-2015, 08:00 PM
This guy is deceptively athletic. Not so much in terms of jumping and what not, but the way he moves on the court is ridiculous for a big man. So quick and nimble.

And he doesn't need a midrange game. Stay in the post and score high percentage shots. Work on his free throws and rebounding and he should be fine.

RedBlackAttack
07-14-2015, 08:02 PM
No way Okafor avg 18+ unless he manages to become a 70% FT shooter and Sixers add a pass first PG. He needs to find a way to elevate because Porz snuffed him 3 times just because of his length. Still had a solid game regardless.

I have him at 13ppg 8rpg as a rookie.
Somebody is going to have to score on that team. I mean, Tony Wroten averaged 17 points a game last year almost as a default, albeit in under half a season.

The points are going to have to come from somewhere. I think your averages are more in-line with Okafor going to a team that already has some scoring punch to spread around. The Sixers are going to be going through Okafor a lot.

Kvnzhangyay
He doesn't necessarily need a midrange game, but he definitely needs to be able to hit the open jumper so defenses can't cheat and sag off

outbreak
Well, I guess that's the knock on Okafor... he's really polished and skilled, but his ceiling isn't quite as high as some of the others in the draft. But, after KAT, I wouldn't have taken anyone over him.

He is definitely going to have to eventually step out of his comfort zone and develop a mid-range game. I don't ever see him having real range beyond 15-17 feet, but that alone would make him an absolute terror offensively given his exquisite post-game.

Defense and rebounding are also factors that will remain question marks until we see him in actual NBA games... and I'm assuming he has plenty of work to do on both.
I'd got KAT, Porzingis and then Okafor. But I was high on porzingis because I wanted him in orlando badly and I think if he pans out he could be the best player out of anyone in this class. it's one of those drafts though where I don't think any team in the top 6 or so can be that upset with who've they've taken, they all look like decent prospects but I think some will just take longer to show it than others.

outbreak
07-14-2015, 08:04 PM
This guy is deceptively athletic. Not so much in terms of jumping and what not, but the way he moves on the court is ridiculous for a big man. So quick and nimble.

And he doesn't need a midrange game. Stay in the post and score high percentage shots. Work on his free throws and rebounding and he should be fine.
becomes easier to cover and provide help defence if all he does is low post score with footwork and finesse. You can then put bigs on him who are more big body bigs instead of having to cover with a big who can also close out a bit when needed. Sure it doesn't ruin his career but if he can become a mutli faceted scorer it'd be a big help and would also help him fit in to versatile rosters better

plowking
07-14-2015, 08:09 PM
becomes easier to cover and provide help defence if all he does is low post score with footwork and finesse. You can then put bigs on him who are more big body bigs instead of having to cover with a big who can also close out a bit when needed. Sure it doesn't ruin his career but if he can become a mutli faceted scorer it'd be a big help and would also help him fit in to versatile rosters better

He doesn't need a shot outside 10 feet apart from his free throws. 10 feet is enough for him to pump fake, and be able to use his first step to blow by guys.

MellowYellow
07-14-2015, 08:13 PM
I think he'll be great, but Zinger will be dominating him for years.. Blocked his shiz 3 times today.

FKAri
07-14-2015, 08:15 PM

That's not athleticism as much as it is honed in motor skills. I think there's a distinction between that and actual agility.

Still I think people are going to look at how many times he got blocked today as a knock on his athleticism when it seemed more like he was gassed down the stretch. He could certainly improve his conditioning like all rookies, especially big men.

outbreak
07-14-2015, 08:18 PM
That's not athleticism as much as it is honed in motor skills. I think there's a distinction between that and actual agility.

Still I think people are going to look at how many times he got blocked today as a knock on his athleticism when it seemed more like he was gassed down the stretch. He could certainly improve his conditioning like all rookies, especially big men.
Part of that is just learning to be more canny when scoring against the pro. Look at someone like Elfrid Payton as an example (different position but still fits), early in the last season he was getting blocked on nearly every drive but as he the season progressed he learnt to adjust his inside shots and release to avoid shot blockers better different to scoring from the post but Okafor can still learn to add in hesitations and body movement to try and avoid the block. Coming out of college I imagine he is used to just going straight up with his shots and no one being quick or athletic enough to get up there to stop it.

KiiiiNG
07-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Okafor will be getting you 20/10 by his 2nd year.

Towns will get you 8/8 and a migraine.

Towns isn't a number 1 pick. What a disaster in Minny.

knickballer
07-14-2015, 08:27 PM
Okafor is the most NBA ready out of the bigs that entered in the draft. You can tell he's gonna have an instant impact because of his post moves and ability to score. But he doesn't have the ceiling that Kristaps or Towns has as they are much more versatile.

The best big in this draft is going to be Kristaps for sure and yeah I'm saying that because he plays for the Knicks :oldlol:

MellowYellow
07-14-2015, 08:32 PM
Okafor is the most NBA ready out of the bigs that entered in the draft. You can tell he's gonna have an instant impact because of his post moves and ability to score. But he doesn't have the ceiling that Kristaps or Towns has as they are much more versatile.

The best big in this draft is going to be Kristaps for sure and yeah I'm saying that because he plays for the Knicks :oldlol:
nope, you're saying that cuz it's the truth.

Nash
07-14-2015, 08:37 PM
dude is like a ballerina just twisting and turning with that amazing footwork of his.

Sportal
07-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Okafor will be getting you 20/10 by his 2nd year.

Towns will get you 8/8 and a migraine.

Towns isn't a number 1 pick. What a disaster in Minny.

Can I ask you something...have you even watched Towns play?

Face-ups, hooks, shakes, pull-ups, windows... You really think that kind of arsenal will result in 8 points?

KiiiiNG
07-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Can I ask you something...have you even watched Towns play?

Face-ups, hooks, shakes, pull-ups, windows... You really think that kind of arsenal will result in 8 points?
:biggums:

I was talking about turnovers dude... 8 rebounds, 8 turnovers....

Scoring wise he'll get you 2-3ppg MAX.

brandonislegend
07-14-2015, 08:54 PM
He is going to get his shot blocked so much when he plays real games, he got his shot blocked 5 times today and 7 times in the first 2 games.

Also his left hand sucks. Still think he will average 16/9 though.

bluechox2
07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
i have him peged as a young amare type impact player

ShawkFactory
07-14-2015, 09:12 PM
i have him peged as a young amare type impact player
Not NEARLY the athlete amare was

kunk75
07-14-2015, 09:21 PM
my johnson got al dente watching his footwork, miss the bigs who could move like hakeem. okafor is going to be 20-22 and 10 for like 14 years, a middle-class tim duncan.

dude is like a ballerina just twisting and turning with that amazing footwork of his.

smoovegittar
07-14-2015, 09:38 PM
If Jahlil keeps working hard, he's gonna be great for years. I like what I saw. He was a little tired at the end. I loved his Pops coming out on that foul.

FireDavidKahn
07-14-2015, 09:51 PM
my johnson got al dente watching his footwork, miss the bigs who could move like hakeem. okafor is going to be 20-22 and 10 for like 14 years, a middle-class tim duncan.
Can't be any version of Duncan without

1) Some form of a jumpshot
2) Something that even resembles defense.

Funny that Philly got the L, Okafor got his shit stuffed so much, had the worst +/- on the team by a lot and got dominated by something called Ndour:oldlol: and Porzinger

So easy to see he will have the impact of an Al Jefferson. Big stats, no impact. He will be runaway for ROY since that is strictly determined by PPG.

Nash
07-14-2015, 09:52 PM
playing next to the super athletic and defensive oriented Nerlens Noel will be great for Jahlil