PDA

View Full Version : The ocean is broken

Jailblazers7
10-20-2013, 09:35 PM
http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/

Extremely depressing read about the state of the ocean around Japan.

Incredible quote:
"But they said they'd calculated that the environmental damage from burning the fuel to do that job would be worse than just leaving the debris there."

KeylessEntry
10-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Great read, thanks for posting this.

One recent phenomenon that might be a side effect of the global fish population crash has been a boom in jellyfish. Here is a good article on that whole issue (http://qz.com/133251/jellyfish-are-taking-over-the-seas-and-it-might-be-too-late-to-stop-them/)

No one’s sure how box jellyfish and the Irukandji are spreading. Jellyfish species are turning up in new habitats every year—and thriving. That’s probably because, from an evolutionary standpoint, jellyfish are biologically primed to swarm the seas. Here’s why:

1. They have few predators. The ones they do have include sea turtles, salmon, mackerel and albatross—animals that are increasingly scarce. And of course, when they’re transported to new ecosystems, jellyfish often have no natural predators.

2. They’re eating machines. The comb jellyfish, which wiped out the Black Sea’s $350 million fishing industry, can put away 10 times its body weight in food in a single day. This is even though it needs to eat only 16% of its body weight to keep growing. The rest of that food goes toward making it bigger and bigger.

3. They play dirty against competitors. Not only do jellyfish compete with smaller fish for the same food, but they also eat those fishes’ eggs. That collapses fish populations.

4. They’re world-class proliferators. Jellyfish don’t have baby versions of themselves the way most animals do. They create polyps—little bundles of clones—that attach to hard surfaces and wait for their opportunity to release small jellyfish. However, while they’re waiting, polyps clone themselves, creating more bundles of future baby jellyfish.

5. They’re (almost) invincible. One reason jellyfish blooms are so disastrous is that they’re almost impossible to get rid of. In fact, cutting some species open actually creates exponentially more of them. When the cells of one species, named the Benjamin Button jellyfish, are released through post-mortem decomposition, they somehow find each other again and from a whole new polyp.

gigantes
10-20-2013, 09:55 PM
at the local sushi bar, one of the girls was saying that they don't even bother stocking certain stuff from the pacific ocean, anymore. too radiated.

chronic overfishing
the great pacific garbage patch
ocean acidification
fukushima fallout

...pick your poison. or mix and match, whatever. :(

Horde of Temujin
10-20-2013, 10:23 PM
at the local sushi bar, one of the girls was saying that they don't even bother stocking certain stuff from the pacific ocean, anymore. too radiated.

chronic overfishing
the great pacific garbage patch
ocean acidification
fukushima fallout

...pick your poison. or mix and match, whatever. :(

So depressing.

Capitalism:hammerhead:

iamgine
10-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Yum yum

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_v45-TBo7M6U/TO2ymDzuFnI/AAAAAAAAM4g/XQLK8Ho1iPQ/s1600/Jellyfish.jpg

Bucket_Nakedz
10-21-2013, 06:46 AM
this makes me really really sad. what fukk is going on? 2 years has passed and now the japanese want help? this shiet sounds worsts than the bullshiet they've been going on about in syria.

the pacific ocean, man. the greatest thing wonder in all of earf. and here we are not givin a fukk. im embarrassed to be human :facepalm

Swaggin916
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
I am pretty sure there is plenty of life in the Pacific Ocean

KeylessEntry
10-21-2013, 02:39 PM

if swaggin916 is "pretty sure", thats good enough for me

false alarm people, oceans are fine

gigantes
10-21-2013, 03:09 PM
:D

yesterday i looked up that benjamin button jellyfish that can reconstitute
itself (some sponges can also do that). apparently it can also revert to a
polyp state and sort of re-live its childhood, making it immortal under ideal
conditions.

pretty soon, when i go out to eat, a regular meal will probably be jellyfish,
algae, grasshoppers and slugs. there will probably be a lot of curry involved.

on the way there, if i get hungry, i can just reach down and grab some
dandelion leaves and ants. :cheers:

CeltsGarlic
10-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Thats a relief, really.
I was pretty scared.

Bucket_Nakedz
10-21-2013, 04:11 PM
oh, so you've just returned from a sailing throughout the pacific? srsly, stfu

Bucket_Nakedz
10-21-2013, 04:46 PM
srsly, bruhs. i know i tend to troll, but this matter means a lot to me. i need yall to voice your opinions. can this situation be resolved?

ItsMillerTime
10-21-2013, 04:52 PM
srsly, bruhs. i know i tend to troll, but this matter means a lot to me. i need yall to voice your opinions. can this situation be resolved?

The article in the OP needs to go viral and needs to be submitted to all the major news outlets so people start talking about it.

Bucket_Nakedz
10-21-2013, 04:57 PM
The article in the OP needs to go viral and needs to be submitted to all the major news outlets so people start talking about it.
fukk the media. the only source that we can hope to shed light on this is the internet. but that kony bullshiet fukked it up for everybody

gigantes
10-21-2013, 08:08 PM
what to do about all this misery?

well, here's the thing that we're not taught in school and have to figure out by trial, labor, and reflection: bro, in these modern capitalist democracies, the way you really vote = the way you spend your money, time, and thought.

going to polling stations once every couples years is pretty much just trying to swing some hot issues. no matter who you vote for, including the gnarly weevil party, you're diffusing your vote about 1-in-50 or so. you're pretty much affirming the whole system, hoping that others can solve the mess that we as a whole group have wrought.

IMO the way we spend our lives is the real vote.

if people across the US accepted that processed grains, tied deeply to the corn, wheat, and soy industries we're a problem for our health, there would be a huge shift in lobbyist powers, much rethinking across the board, and a vacuum that nature would rush to fill.

that's a dramatic example, considering that we've been weaned on fructose syrup for decades, but it's more or less the way reality works. there are probably some intricacies and elaborations i don't understand at this time, but i feel clearly that the example given is the basic reality.

so... basically? you want cleaner oceans, look at all the many things you do which directly or indirectly enable the rape going on against mother earth's beautiful oceans.

pardon... sad and angry about all this. i'll shut up, now. :D

P.S. some asshole up above posted some huge picture which is making it impossible for me to edit my post without scrol... gah!

Take Your Lumps
10-21-2013, 09:11 PM
what to do about all this misery?

well, here's the thing that we're not taught in school and have to figure out by trial, labor, and reflection: bro, in these modern capitalist democracies, the way you really vote = the way you spend your money, time, and thought.

going to polling stations once every couples years is pretty much just trying to swing some hot issues. no matter who you vote for, including the gnarly weevil party, you're diffusing your vote about 1-in-50 or so. you're pretty much affirming the whole system, hoping that others can solve the mess that we as a whole group have wrought.

IMO the way we spend our lives is the real vote.

+1000

You're right that the way we spend our personal energy and resources is really important, but I think it's also important to show up to the polls (not only presidential elections) and make your anti-establishment vote heard. Whether you want to vote green, conservative, libertarian, Mickey Mouse -- just make sure your vote of no confidence in the rigged party system is heard. The only thing these bastards comprehend is votes.

if people across the US accepted that processed grains, tied deeply to the corn, wheat, and soy industries we're a problem for our health, there would be a huge shift in lobbyist powers, much rethinking across the board, and a vacuum that nature would rush to fill.

I made the switch to real foods in our house about a year ago. Whole grains, very limited boxed foods, bought a good vegetable juicer, grass-fed meats....I shed like 30 lbs with no serious workout regimen yet other than walking, playing ball, playing with my son...stuff I always did.

And quite honestly, my grocery bills were much higher when I bought the majority of my food in the aisles as opposed to the perimeter of the grocery store.

Why Doritos are so darned addictive (http://nypost.com/2013/10/03/why-doritos-are-as-addictive-as-crack/)

gigantes
10-21-2013, 09:29 PM
+1000

You're right that the way we spend our personal energy and resources is really important, but I think it's also important to show up to the polls (not only presidential elections) and make your anti-establishment vote heard. Whether you want to vote green, conservative, libertarian, Mickey Mouse -- just make sure your vote of no confidence in the rigged party system is heard. The only thing these bastards comprehend is votes.

I made the switch to real foods in our house about a year ago. Whole grains, very limited boxed foods, bought a good vegetable juicer, grass-fed meats....I shed like 30 lbs with no serious workout regimen yet other than walking, playing ball, playing with my son...stuff I always did.

And quite honestly, my grocery bills were much higher when I bought the majority of my food in the aisles as opposed to the perimeter of the grocery store.

Why Doritos are so darned addictive (http://nypost.com/2013/10/03/why-doritos-are-as-addictive-as-crack/)
bro! :cheers:

gigantes
10-23-2013, 02:21 AM
the story went global (http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1858263/oceans-horror-tale-gets-global-audience/?cs=303), but now what?

it is said that one of the biggest reasons people want to live longer is to see what happens next.