PDA

View Full Version : $50 mil for Gordon Hayward?

2LeTTeRS
10-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Is it just me; or does that seem like entirely too much for a guy that averaged 14, 3 and 3? >>>>>

Probable extension recipients

No. 9 pick Gordon Hayward, according to sources briefed on the situation, remains on course to join Favors in landing an extension from the Jazz by month's end, making him the strongest candidate still out there.

Given his emerging status as the closest thing to a face of the franchise in Salt Lake City in the post-Deron Williams era, sources say Hayward is likewise in contention to score a deal that could wind up richer than Favors' contract, which helps explain why Favors' negotiations got done first.

The Jazz know that letting Hayward reach restricted free agency in July exposes them to a lucrative (and potentially even max) four-year offer that is bound to cost them more than any deal that gets done this month, judging by the widespread fondness in front offices around the league for Hayward's versatility, shooting and size at his position. Few players in Las Vegas in July, when Team USA gathered close to 30 of the league's top 25-and-under players in the same gym, had rival coaches and execs more excited than Hayward, who undeniably has lots to prove as he moves into a role of prominence in the coming season but will also see lots more of the ball as he tries to live up to those ramped-up expectations.

The whole rest of the month might be needed to finalize a deal, but sources continue to project an eventual extension as more of a when than an if for the former Butler darling.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9857687/deadline-nears-class-2010-extensions

‏@ESPNSteinLine 15h
Hayward has tons of fans in front offices around the league. Will draw tons of interest next July if he makes it to restricted free agency

‏@ESPNSteinLine 15h
Jazz won't go any farther publicly than acknowledging talks ongoing but I'm told deal -- if completed -- will be richer than Favors' deal

‏@ESPNSteinLine 15h
Heard first strong rumbles this weekend that Gordon Hayward, like Derrick Favors, will indeed get extension from Jazz before Oct. 31 buzzer

ralph_i_el
10-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Is it just me; or does that seem like entirely too much for a guy that averaged 14, 3 and 3? >>>>>

*in 29mpg

Shooting is getting paid a premium. He has a good handle for his size too

El Kabong
10-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Basically it's the Jazz thinking (rightly or wrongly) that both Favors and Hayward will be offered max/near max deals if they hit restricted free agency, so if they sign 'em up early they're potentially saving $10+ million on each guy over the life of their contracts. Remains to be seen. Hayward has shown more than Favors, but I still wouldn't want to be paying him more than $10 million a year. Still, I don't think either deal is so terrible that you couldn't get out of it if you wanted to.

I like Hayward though, so I hope he sticks around. Very versatile player that is going to be leaned on heavily this year.

Dro
10-21-2013, 03:54 PM
50 million over how many years? I wouldn't pay him more than say 8-9 million a year but I agree the contract doesn't seem like it would be that bad. He still has a lot of room to improve.

Levity
10-21-2013, 03:59 PM
hes going to have a really good season. and like its already been said, over how many years for the $50 million? cause if its less than 10 a season, 50 million isnt too much for a tanking/rebuilding team that wants to continue to develop its players.

Dr. Ice
10-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Jazz fans(as well as any other person crazy enough to watch the jazz) think he's on par with paul george

El Kabong
10-21-2013, 04:15 PM
50 million over how many years? I wouldn't pay him more than say 8-9 million a year but I agree the contract doesn't seem like it would be that bad. He still has a lot of room to improve.
I'd guess it'd be a 4 year deal. I think if they wanted to sign him for 5 they'd need to use the 5/25% designated player rule (like Paul George and Russell Westbrook got). He ain't worth $80 million over 5 years.

senelcoolidge
10-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I like Hayward more than Favors. But this is the age of over paying player. Role players are getting near max deals.

TheMarkMadsen
10-21-2013, 04:30 PM
The lockout was pointless

chocolatethunder
10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Ask Darius Miles that. He made almost $70,000,000.

CelticBaller
10-21-2013, 04:53 PM
i'm trying out for the jazz soon trying to get a max contract, wish me luck guys

RidonKs
10-21-2013, 05:09 PM
its at the far end of his value spectrum but he's entering his 4th year and he seems prime for a breakout. i'd pay him 12 a year if im the Jazz FO and thats how much he's gonna cost. i really like him. whenever i saw the jazz last year, which like everybody else wasn't much, he always seemed to stand out. he's like a glue guy who was always relied on to score so he can put the ball in the bucket damn near any way... but he's just as good as 3rd 4th 5th option. he plays solid defense, can pass the ball, and he's actually pretty damn scrappy -- scrappier than how he looks at least lol. disagree with the posters above me, definitely starting caliber on a good team imo, given another year or two to reach his potential.

at the moment he's easily the most polished starter on the team. the next few years will be interesting, they got loads of cap space if they can draw anybody, young talent that may or may not pan out, and if they're lucky, a good draft pick next season.

plus, without wanting to stereotype a place i've never been too bad, he seems like he could grow into a major home team favourite in SLC.... which is always a major plus

poido123
10-21-2013, 05:53 PM
i'm trying out for the jazz soon trying to get a max contract, wish me luck guys

You should do well :cheers:

If you get any less than a max contract, take your talents to South Beach.

TheReturn
10-21-2013, 05:58 PM
its at the far end of his value spectrum but he's entering his 4th year and he seems prime for a breakout. i'd pay him 12 a year if im the Jazz FO and thats how much he's gonna cost. i really like him. whenever i saw the jazz last year, which like everybody else wasn't much, he always seemed to stand out. he's like a glue guy who was always relied on to score so he can put the ball in the bucket damn near any way... but he's just as good as 3rd 4th 5th option. he plays solid defense, can pass the ball, and he's actually pretty damn scrappy -- scrappier than how he looks at least lol. disagree with the posters above me, definitely starting caliber on a good team imo, given another year or two to reach his potential.

at the moment he's easily the most polished starter on the team. the next few years will be interesting, they got loads of cap space if they can draw anybody, young talent that may or may not pan out, and if they're lucky, a good draft pick next season.

plus, without wanting to stereotype a place i've never been too bad, he seems like he could grow into a major home team favourite in SLC.... which is always a major plus
:applause:

bdreason
10-21-2013, 06:22 PM
That Utah 'white skin' bonus. :applause:

32MJ32
10-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Fair value. He's a very good player.

Xiao Yao You
10-21-2013, 06:35 PM
I like Hayward more than Favors. But this is the age of over paying player. Role players are getting near max deals.

Which age wasn't? The new new CBA is the first time that salaries seem to have actually been affected.

magnax1
10-21-2013, 06:38 PM
Uck......its like AK all over again...

Skep
10-21-2013, 07:03 PM
If the max is 10mil a year I would do it. Hayward is a great all around player that can have an impact on multipe facets of the game. I still remember draft night 2k10 when I was upset the jazz passed on Paul George who no doubt had the potential to be an all star, hayward can still get there but Paul George will always be a better player until proven else wise by hayward. He has gained some muscle this year and his jump shot looks so much better. Should be an interesting year

Skep
10-21-2013, 07:03 PM

Exaggerate much?

Xiao Yao You
10-22-2013, 01:40 AM
If the max is 10mil a year I would do it. Hayward is a great all around player that can have an impact on multipe facets of the game. I still remember draft night 2k10 when I was upset the jazz passed on Paul George who no doubt had the potential to be an all star, hayward can still get there but Paul George will always be a better player until proven else wise by hayward. He has gained some muscle this year and his jump shot looks so much better. Should be an interesting year

Not sure George would be a better fit with the Jazz.

Skep
10-22-2013, 01:42 AM
Not sure George would be a better fit with the Jazz.

Maybe he cant facilitate the offense as well as hayward, but he definitely would be.

Burke
Burks
George
Favors
Kanter

Is the most promising starting 5

Fiasco
10-22-2013, 01:58 AM
Can't see how paying a role player $9 million a year is justified.

Think they should trade him if his value around the league is really that high.

Doranku
10-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Damn, this is even worse than Splitter's contract.

GoRapz
10-22-2013, 02:11 AM
DeRozan deal looking sweeter and sweeter :pimp: :pimp:

Xiao Yao You
10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Maybe he cant facilitate the offense as well as hayward, but he definitely would be.

Burke
Burks
George
Favors
Kanter

Jury's still out on all those guys outside George. Hayward has shown he can start in the league at least.

It's A VC3!!!
10-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Burke
Burks
George
Favors
Kanter

:lol

Eric Cartman
10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
This is why terrible teams stay that way. Yes I realize that Utah has is a perennial playoff teams without NBA titles, but after the Favors deal, Hayward and if they do the same with Kanter, they will be stuck in mediocrity forever.

hawkfan
10-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Haywood is going to get a big contract because of supply and demand - plenty of teams need a shooter and he can get 7-8 teams after him. Someone will pay him this salary if Utah doesn't.

Utah will have to hit the minimum salary, and they are clearly going with Kanter-Favors-Haywood as their big 3 over the next 3-4 years, so they have to pay these guys. If they don't pay them, they will be stuck every year taking on expirers like Biedrins and Jefferson.

For 4 years, it's not bad - similar to what DeRozan got in Toronto. And the Jazz will add to their roster with a bunch of first round picks over the next few seasons - theirs and then the picks they got from Golden State.

Utah still should have some cap space to go after some solid veterans to round out the roster, but Utah does have a problem getting the A level free agents to go there.

TheReturn
10-22-2013, 10:00 AM
This is why terrible teams stay that way. Yes I realize that Utah has is a perennial playoff teams without NBA titles, but after the Favors deal, Hayward and if they do the same with Kanter, they will be stuck in mediocrity forever.
Your psychic abilities are amazing. I actually like all three players and think all three have the potential to be all-stars. We'll see though.

Xiao Yao You
10-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Let's see what Kanter does this year first. He looks like he could be a star.

Haywood is going to get a big contract because of supply and demand - plenty of teams need a shooter and he can get 7-8 teams after him.

Shooting isn't what he does best. Every team in the league would love to have him I'm sure. He brings a lot to the table at both ends of the floor.

Someone will pay him this salary if Utah doesn't.

Utah will have to hit the minimum salary

That's not too difficult to do though. You don't want to overpay guys to get there.

, and they are clearly going with Kanter-Favors-Haywood as their big 3 over the next 3-4 years

Might be a big 1 when they add their high lottery pick next summer.

Darius
10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
For $10m/year you need to be able to be at least the 3rd best player on a championship team.

Can Hayward be that guy? It's close... but I think so.

hawkfan
10-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Let's see what Kanter does this year first. He looks like he could be a star.

Shooting isn't what he does best. Every team in the league would love to have him I'm sure. He brings a lot to the table at both ends of the floor.

That's not too difficult to do though. You don't want to overpay guys to get there.

Might be a big 1 when they add their high lottery pick next summer.

If the Jazz get Wiggins, Kanter-Favors-Haywood-Burke is a nice group to put around him.

El Kabong
10-22-2013, 12:24 PM
If the Jazz get Wiggins, Kanter-Favors-Haywood-Burke is a nice group to put around him.
Best case scenario is they score Wiggins and have enough wiggle room in the cap to sign a near max free agent. Chances of that happening wouldn't be that high, but there's always hope I guess.

SilkkTheShocker
10-22-2013, 12:38 PM
Jesus, the Jazz have lost their ****ing minds.

ralph_i_el
10-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Hayward is going to be their first option this year and play starters minutes. Putting up 20-5-5 on good efficiency/ 3 point shooting is a realistic goal. He's getting paid after next season if he doesn't sign an extension now.

OldSkoolball#52
10-22-2013, 01:37 PM
That Utah 'white skin' bonus. :applause:

:lol This

Theres probably a clause in the contract says he cant go tanning :oldlol:

Eric Cartman
10-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Hayward is going to be their first option this year and play starters minutes. Putting up 20-5-5 on good efficiency/ 3 point shooting is a realistic goal. He's getting paid after next season if he doesn't sign an extension now.

Scoring 20 points on one of the worst teams in the league is really that big of an accomplishment huh?

ralph_i_el
10-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Scoring 20 points on one of the worst teams in the league is really that big of an accomplishment huh?

It's enough to get you a big fat deal. I don't buy the Jazz being that bad either. Before Burke got hurt at least

JimmyMcAdocious
10-22-2013, 04:44 PM

People seem to like Lillard and Kyrie.

ralph_i_el
10-22-2013, 05:01 PM
:applause:

andremiller07
10-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Hayward is a do it all stud like Iggy and is younger and got slightly less money not sure why all the hate towards him.

Deleterious
10-22-2013, 07:02 PM

How wwas that a bad signing?

OT: Great sign. Should have a bright future.

Suckafree
10-22-2013, 07:23 PM
For $10m/year you need to be able to be at least the 3rd best player on a championship team.

Can Hayward be that guy? It's close... but I think so.

Yea, maybe if those other 2 are prime Shaq and Kobe.

Switch Gordon Hayward with somebody like 08' Ray Allen, 09'/10' Odom or 11' Terry and there's no way any of those teams win that year.

Maybe Kobe's 09' Lakers go close, but Hayward would not be able to replicate the impact Odom had on the glass and the versatility he provided in terms of matchups.

Unless you have two all time greats as your first and second options (Lebron/Wade, MJ/Pippen) theres no way you can win a titles as Gordon Hayward as your third option.

Skep
10-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Youre so enlightening, please tell me more. Dont be upset that your starting 5 is comprised of two washed out hall of famers, an inconsistent chucking 2 guard and a PG whose best years were on the jazz.

Skep
10-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Yea, maybe if those other 2 are prime Shaq and Kobe.

Switch Gordon Hayward with somebody like 08' Ray Allen, 09'/10' Odom or 11' Terry and there's no way any of those teams win that year.

Maybe Kobe's 09' Lakers go close, but Hayward would not be able to replicate the impact Odom had on the glass and the versatility he provided in terms of matchups.

Unless you have two all time greats as your first and second options (Lebron/Wade, MJ/Pippen) theres no way you can win a titles as Gordon Hayward as your third option.

LOL hayward is 23 and youre comparing him to guys that were in the prime or latter prime of their careers.

Suckafree
10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
LOL hayward is 23 and youre comparing him to guys that were in the prime or latter prime of their careers.

Ray Allen at 23: 20/5/4
Jason Terry at 23: 20/5/3 on 40% 3pFG
Lamar Odom at 23: 15/7/4 and the very next year went on to do 17/10/4 while creating mismatches all over the floor.

But thats not the point, even in 5 years time Gordon Hayward wont be good enough to be a 3rd option. I'm not saying the guy is a terrible player, but he is just never going to be good enough to be a 3rd guy on a championship team.

If Gordon Hayward is your third best player, your going to have a bad time.

Edit: Damn, just looked at some of Kevin Martins numbers. He was putting up 20/4/2 on 47% as a 23 year old and he looked so far out of his depth as a 3rd option on the Thunder. Somebody please give me some evidence as to why or how Hayward could end up as a 3rd option on a championship team.

PleezeBelieve
10-22-2013, 08:46 PM
:oldlol: @ people rationalizing this awful deal. They better hope Burke is a future All Star because this guy is leading you nowhere.

PleezeBelieve
10-22-2013, 08:48 PM
10 million a year for a role player?!??!? What's next, some idiot team playing John Wall 16 million annually....

Oh wait...

chocolatethunder
10-22-2013, 09:55 PM
You idiots are complaining because he's white. If this guy were black you'd all be screaming about how much "potential" he has. Remember, this is inside hoops where liking white players is taboo.

Xiao Yao You
10-22-2013, 10:04 PM

I wouldn't expect good efficiency if he puts up 20 a game. He needs to facilitate their offense not necessarily score. Kanter, Burks and potentially Burke should be looked at more for scoring than G.

It's enough to get you a big fat deal. I don't buy the Jazz being that bad either. Before Burke got hurt at least

They are trying to be bad and Burke hasn't shown much yet either. Lucas being signed as a rotation player was a sure sign of tanking.

How wwas that a bad signing?

OT: Great sign. Should have a bright future.

Horrible. It hamstrung them for years. Love AK but he wasn't a max player.

Hayward would not be able to replicate the impact Odom had on the glass and the versatility he provided in terms of matchups.

He's a different player than Odom but he brings plenty to the table and is quite versatile. It's why every team in the league would love to have him and why the Jazz think they need to pay him now.

just looked at some of Kevin Martins numbers. He was putting up 20/4/2 on 47% as a 23 year old and he looked so far out of his depth as a 3rd option on the Thunder. Somebody please give me some evidence as to why or how Hayward could end up as a 3rd option on a championship team.

G plays both ends of the floor though.

Miller for 3
10-22-2013, 10:26 PM
ITT :Racist xenophobes are bleeding from their anus because a white player is going to be a future allstar. No one cared when Batum and Favors got ridiculous contracts based on doing less than Hayward.

midatlantic09
10-22-2013, 10:28 PM
You idiots are complaining because he's white. If this guy were black you'd all be screaming about how much "potential" he has. Remember, this is inside hoops where liking white players is taboo.

No, they are complaining because he's not worth $50 million. The guy averaged 14/3/3. So I guess Evan Turner is worth $50 million as well with his 13/6/4 averages?

Rekindled
10-22-2013, 10:36 PM
No, they are complaining because he's not worth $50 million. The guy averaged 14/3/3. So I guess Evan Turner is worth $50 million as well with his 13/6/4 averages?

do you even watch games. no way anyone that watch games would think evan turner is close to be as good as Hayward.

hayward averaged 14/3/3 in under 30 min a game while being like 4th option. Career over 40% 3pt shooter, good point forward.

hawkfan
10-22-2013, 11:23 PM
1. DeRozan got 4 years, 38 million with the Raptors (9.5 million per season). How does Hayward compare to DeRozan? Then that's a good idea of whether Hayward's contract is market value or not.

2. If Utah is going to keep him, then it is better to get it done now instead of waiting in the off-season and being forced to match a higher offer from another team when Hayward is restricted.

3. Right now, the Jazz have a big 4 of Kanter-Favors-Hayward-Burke, and then they will add another piece either via free agency or next year's draft.

Honestly, I think this team is too talented to have the worst record in the league so Wiggins may be out of the question (unless they somehow get lucky in the lottery)

Xiao Yao You
10-23-2013, 12:48 AM
1. DeRozan got 4 years, 38 million with the Raptors (9.5 million per season). How does Hayward compare to DeRozan? Then that's a good idea of whether Hayward's contract is market value or not.

2. If Utah is going to keep him, then it is better to get it done now instead of waiting in the off-season and being forced to match a higher offer from another team when Hayward is restricted.

3. Right now, the Jazz have a big 4 of Kanter-Favors-Hayward-Burke, and then they will add another piece either via free agency or next year's draft.

Honestly, I think this team is too talented to have the worst record in the league so Wiggins may be out of the question (unless they somehow get lucky in the lottery)

Burke is not ahead of Burks until he proves it. You do know that their #1 and 2 pg's right now faced each other in the Chinese League right? They will suck!

Xiao Yao You
10-25-2013, 11:37 AM
The Utah Jazz, with less than a week to go before the league deadline, remain in talks with swingman Gordon Hayward on a contract extension, according to sources close to the process. ESPN.com

Sources told ESPN.com that Hayward remains likely to land an extension before the deadline, with negotiations expected to pick up in pace this weekend after the team returns from a weeklong road trip in Southern California. ESPN.com

Fresh Kid
10-25-2013, 11:43 AM
that kid dont deserve that much bread and thats tha bottom line cuz mr. willds09 said so:no:

ralph_i_el
10-25-2013, 12:18 PM
Ray Allen at 23: 20/5/4
Jason Terry at 23: 20/5/3 on 40% 3pFG
Lamar Odom at 23: 15/7/4 and the very next year went on to do 17/10/4 while creating mismatches all over the floor.

But thats not the point, even in 5 years time Gordon Hayward wont be good enough to be a 3rd option. I'm not saying the guy is a terrible player, but he is just never going to be good enough to be a 3rd guy on a championship team.

If Gordon Hayward is your third best player, your going to have a bad time.

Edit: Damn, just looked at some of Kevin Martins numbers. He was putting up 20/4/2 on 47% as a 23 year old and he looked so far out of his depth as a 3rd option on the Thunder. Somebody please give me some evidence as to why or how Hayward could end up as a 3rd option on a championship team.

Because basketball is more than stats. He handles the ball and stretches the floor. The last two season they've been giving him the ball to run a lot of PnR to develop him to be a playmaker on offense. he also hasn't had the benefit of playing with a pg. Also comparing his stats to Ray/terry/odom isn't really valid because they played more minutes and they played in a time with more 20 point scorers. 23 year old Jason Terry would not put up 20 a game today most likely

Hoopz2332
10-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Jazz fans(as well as any other person crazy enough to watch the jazz) think he's on par with paul george

:oldlol:

Funnyfuka
10-26-2013, 12:43 AM
I agree. Still... he s not worth 50 mil for 4 years...

Xiao Yao You
10-26-2013, 06:26 PM
But as Hayward continues to showcase his under-appreciated skills during the preseason, and as it seems more apparent that his fanbase extends beyond the Jazz and to the league at large, the chance remains that he may not agree to an extension and will instead choose to be a highly sought-after restricted free agent next summer. A person with knowledge of the talks said the two sides were not close to a deal as of Saturday afternoon, though that doesn't mean one may not eventually get done. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the talks.

USA Today Sports

Xiao Yao You
10-28-2013, 01:52 AM
Steve Luhm: One thing that likely slowed Jazz-Hayward extension talks: No way Utah anticipated Pacers' Paul George to get a $90M deal.

Twitter @sluhm

El Kabong
10-28-2013, 05:55 AM
Steve Luhm: One thing that likely slowed Jazz-Hayward extension talks: No way Utah anticipated Pacers' Paul George to get a $90M deal.

Twitter @sluhm
That's fine, but if Hayward is asking for 5/25% designated player deal then he's dreaming.

Xiao Yao You
10-28-2013, 06:18 AM
That's fine, but if Hayward is asking for 5/25% designated player deal then he's dreaming.

Yeah he's not getting that before the season anyway.. Probably raised their asking price though. I'd be looking more at Batum if I was him.

Eric Cartman
11-21-2013, 02:18 AM

Lilliard team is 10-2, only half a game behind the Spurs.

Second year player too.

jamal99
11-21-2013, 02:50 AM
Hayward 1-17 fg's tonight :roll:

Gabuyaux
11-21-2013, 04:36 AM
Poor mans Odom.

hawkfan
11-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Hayward 1-17 fg's tonight :roll:

He's trying to outdo Rudy Gay, and it looks like he succeeded.

Eric Cartman
11-21-2013, 02:47 PM
He's trying to outdo Rudy Gay, and it looks like he succeeded.

GOBB
11-21-2013, 03:00 PM
No one here mentioned his efficiency? He's shooting 38% FG, 30% 3pt. :rolleyes:

Levity
11-21-2013, 03:06 PM
rumor has it that the suns are going to offer him an "unmatchable" contract this summer

Xiao Yao You
11-21-2013, 03:40 PM
No one here mentioned his efficiency? He's shooting 38% FG, 30% 3pt. :rolleyes:

He was shooting like 43% before the past few games though. He's not a go to guy and they have no one else doing it so it's not surprising really.

Karl Malone once had a 1-16.