PDA

View Full Version : I got my first speeding ticket. Looking for some advice.

enayes
10-21-2013, 04:11 PM
I was given a speeding ticket last night for going 47 in a 30. I live in upstate New York and this is my first speeding ticket. He got me right after the zone changed from 55 to 30.

I mailed in the ticket with a NOT GUILTY plea. From reading online it seems that first time offenders usually get the ticket reduced and there's always the possibility that the cop doesn't show.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed? Or what I should say in court?

Bucket_Nakedz
10-21-2013, 04:14 PM
sorry, im a minority. we don't have the luxury to dispute with authorities

niko
10-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Pay it, there's often a fee in going to court. So they reduce your ticket and charge you a court fee and you pay the same thing plus have to sit in the courtroom. If the cop doesn't show the first time they might reschedule too, it's not automatic you get off. Plus the judge's can be hard asses.

if you are not sure you'll get off entirely I'd pay it.

DeuceWallaces
10-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Entirely not worth the hassle or fees. You were speeding. Just pay it and move on.

rufuspaul
10-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Depends on the state where you live and your insurance co. You could end up paying a lot more in insurance premiums than you would in court costs. I got written up for going 68 in a 55 last year. Called up a lawyer friend and it turned out he went to law school with the DA of the county where I got pulled. One phone call and it was reduced to "improper equipment". Paid the fine and didn't get any insurance points.

bdreason
10-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Pay the fine and take the day long class to take it off your record.

enayes
10-21-2013, 04:47 PM
Multiple online sources have stated that the fine/penalty is almost always reduced for first time offenders, so I'm better off going to court. Is there anyone with actual experience in this?

niko
10-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Multiple online sources have stated that the fine/penalty is almost always reduced for first time offenders, so I'm better off going to court. Is there anyone with actual experience in this?
Yes, i got my fine reduced (in Parsipanny NJ) from $100 to $75 and paid $50 in court costs. I don't trust the always, it depends where you are. Some area's are hardasses. Also if you are in an all white area speeding and you go to court and you're not all white it might not get reduced anyway.

Bucket_Nakedz
10-21-2013, 04:55 PM
:roll: me and op are kinda surprised by the responses from his white bredren. op, use dat white privilege, bruh. go in that court steamin and demand an apology lol fukk it i would

gigantes
10-21-2013, 05:29 PM
when i was living in PA, i simply showed up at court to dispute. the officer never made an appearance all three times, thus the ticket was always thrown out.

so no points for my record, nothing to annoy my insurance company about... all i had to do was to go to the local courthouse at 9AM or whatever.

i could have been colored beige with glowing green stripes and i doubt it would have mattered.

seems all the officers cared about was writing their quota of tickets. enforcing was someone else's problem to them.

enayes
10-21-2013, 05:51 PM
Everyone I've talked to says to plead not guilty. So I did.

AirTupac
10-21-2013, 05:57 PM
My friend always gets speeding tickets, and ALWAYS fights them. He has saved a bit of money not paying the full ticket, would save more if he didn't speed.

gts
10-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Is traffic school an option?

GOBB
10-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I have my first traffic court appearance next month. Got busted going 52 in a 35mph. I didnt realize it mostly because I was lost. What I'm told is the key to going is get the pts taken off. I received 4 pts. Bad timing given I wanted to switch insurance but figure I'll wait until I get the pts cleared. Cop told me they would. So I'm expecting just to pay the ticket which was $160+. Wish I could just call, get pts waived and pay fine. Some places do it. Varies I found out.

This will be interesting. My first speeding ticket as well. Kinda mad.

Jameerthefear
10-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Offtopic: Haha I ran my first red light a couple days ago. It was one of those situations where I couldn't stop too fast because the guy in the back was riding my ass so I just ran it. (and my mom told me to). Luckily this hick town doesn't have cameras :D
Also: if a cop catches you but sees you slowing down (like the zone just changed) will he still ticket you?

MavsSuperFan
10-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Go to your local police station and tell them to go **** themselves.

Make sure to act hard and intimidate them. It will only work if you scare them a little. Also question their manhood and insinuate you often have sexual relations with the wives and/or mothers.

Meticode
10-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Pay the ticket, you were in the wrong. If you hit the 30 sign going 47 you started slowing down too late. Not to mention if there is a sign with an arrow giving you a head's up it's switching to 30 if that's there.

Also not only that, but if you don't pay the ticket and plead not guilty they'll just charge you court fees for using more of their time to deal with. Pleading not guilty is only worth it if the ticket fee is worth thousands of dollars. Not speeding ticket chump change.

KNOW1EDGE
10-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Show up to your court date. Dont plea or pay the ticket before going to your court date.

Hopefully the officer doesnt show up and the ticket will be dropped. (Ive had 4 tickets dropped simply because the officer who wrote the ticket didnt show up to court)

If the officer does show up, plead guilty, if your a first time offender they will reduce the ticket amount and you can just pay it and move on.

Jailblazers7
10-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Depends on the state where you live and your insurance co. You could end up paying a lot more in insurance premiums than you would in court costs. I got written up for going 68 in a 55 last year. Called up a lawyer friend and it turned out he went to law school with the DA of the county where I got pulled. One phone call and it was reduced to "improper equipment". Paid the fine and didn't get any insurance points.

Typical rich white guy.

DukeDelonte13
10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
it doesn't matter if the ticket carries points or not, insurance companies will just look at whether or not the infraction you plead to was a moving violation or not.

it's cheaper to play a maximum fine than to have your insurance company raise premiums on you.

It's A VC3!!!
10-21-2013, 07:41 PM
I was given a speeding ticket last night for going 47 in a 30. I live in upstate New York and this is my first speeding ticket. He got me right after the zone changed from 55 to 30.

I mailed in the ticket with a NOT GUILTY plea. From reading online it seems that first time offenders usually get the ticket reduced and there's always the possibility that the cop doesn't show.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed? Or what I should say in court?
The "cop not showing thing" is some strange ass myth. Even if he doesn't show, you're still going to end up paying in some cases. Most cases though, you end up going free if you plead not guilty.

I recently got a ticket in New York as well so this is how it went for me.

Cop: After checking your record, this is your first violation and we're going to give you a $150 fine and no points on your license.

Me: Can we get it lowered to $100.

Cop: No, we'll do $125 though.

And that's what I ended up paying.

This is how it goes when you show up to court. Those shit heads still get their money if you plead guilty because when you get the ticket mailed home there will be a $75-115 surcharge, which is a dog shit move to do. My federal taxes already pay their salary yet they want to leech more money with a ridiculous surcharge.

ihoopallday
10-21-2013, 08:11 PM
:rant Stop speeding and just pay the ticket. You broke the law, suffer the consequences. Anyways, that's what my parents said when I got my first and only ticket back in high school.

MadeFromDust
10-21-2013, 08:16 PM

Hire a lawyer. BAM! They know what to do.

bluechox2
10-21-2013, 08:31 PM
dont speed again

enayes
10-25-2013, 12:59 PM
I've heard that if you postpone your court date there is a solid chance the officer doesn't show.

rufuspaul
10-25-2013, 01:17 PM
I've heard that if you postpone your court date there is a solid chance the officer doesn't show.

How did you react when the officer gave you the ticket? A cop friend of mine said that if you're polite, accept the ticket and don't whine or make stupid remarks the officer will more than likely forget all about it. Then when the court date comes around he'll either not show or he won't remember anything. If, on the other hand, you make a complete ass of yourself the officer will take meticulous notes and he'll be ready come court time.

Typical rich white guy.

:oldlol: It's not how much money you have, it's who you know.

Pay the ticket, you were in the wrong. If you hit the 30 sign going 47 you started slowing down too late. Not to mention if there is a sign with an arrow giving you a head's up it's switching to 30 if that's there.

Also not only that, but if you don't pay the ticket and plead not guilty they'll just charge you court fees for using more of their time to deal with. Pleading not guilty is only worth it if the ticket fee is worth thousands of dollars. Not speeding ticket chump change.

Reason #187 to always do the opposite of what Meticode recommends.

enayes
10-25-2013, 01:25 PM
I was very polite and didn't say anything. Here's how it went:

Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me: "No."
Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "Umm.. 30 something.
Officer: "I got you going 47, this is a 30 MPH zone. Sit tight. (He walks away with my license and registration to write the ticket)

He comes back, explains that I can mail in the ticket or show up in court on the date specified. He asked if I had any questions and I said No.

I'm hoping that if the officer does show up he/the judge will offer a deal, as in no points on my license but I pay a fine. If he shows and doesn't offer anything I can't really argue with the radar gun having me at 47, right?

I mean I was slowing down and when the officer was behind me I was going 30, but I was speeding when I passed him.

Stempel, HERB
10-25-2013, 01:28 PM
AARufusPaul dishing out life lessons free of charge. :applause:

Aint nobody got time for Waynicode advice unless he's outlining how to destroy a marriage being suffocating and needy.

DukeDelonte13
10-25-2013, 01:38 PM
I was very polite and didn't say anything. Here's how it went:

Officer: "Do you know why I pulled you over?"
Me: "No."
Officer: "Do you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "Umm.. 30 something.
Officer: "I got you going 47, this is a 30 MPH zone. Sit tight. (He walks away with my license and registration to write the ticket)

He comes back, explains that I can mail in the ticket or show up in court on the date specified. He asked if I had any questions and I said No.

I'm hoping that if the officer does show up he/the judge will offer a deal, as in no points on my license but I pay a fine. If he shows and doesn't offer anything I can't really argue with the radar gun having me at 47, right?

I mean I was slowing down and when the officer was behind me I was going 30, but I was speeding when I passed him.

you will lose 99/100 times if you try to have a trial over a speeding ticket, especially if you are going to represent yourself. Its just very hard to overcome the radar/laser. Just go to your court date, plead not guilty, and request to speak with the prosecutor. Ask the prosecutor if you can have no points. That's all you on your own can really do. You can hire a lawyer, they know exactly what can and can't be done in certain courtrooms.

Some cities/courts refuse to allow reductions on speeding tickets as a matter of course. Sometimes certain prosecutors will never reduce a speeding charge. sometimes certain judges will refuse to accept a reduction to a speeding charge.

Also; - don't dress like an asshole, always address the judge or magistrate as "your honor", and always be extra courteous to every single person in the court, whether they be the person taking your fine money or the judge.

secund2nun
10-25-2013, 02:07 PM
If you don't feel like taking the online class you can give it to a lawyer. Often times they will crush the ticket for you if you give them like 100-200 dollars or whatever. My dad has done it before. I'm not sure what exactly they do, but they take care of it.

rufuspaul
10-25-2013, 02:15 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f80/rufuspaul/Better-Call-Saul_zps10906628.jpg

enayes
11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
UPDATE:

I mailed in the not-guilty plea and today I received a response from the court. I have a pre-trial conference/appearance with the assistant district attorney scheduled for 11/26. Hopefully they will just offer me a lighter sentence and I'll be on my way.

GOBB
11-19-2013, 01:45 PM
I had traffic court last Tuesday day after the holiday. Got there 10mins early and waited for 40mins (along with other people). Judge brought us all in and waived the tickets plus refunded us our money. I just got my refund check today. $164 :rockon:

The wait was annoying tho. I thought the appointment time you had was when you would be seen. Unfortunately that isnt how it works. Judge said she usually gives cop/people 15-20min leeway due to traffic. But anything past that? No.

Guessing the cop was busy that day since it was a day after the holiday.

enayes
11-26-2013, 10:39 PM
UPDATE:

Met with the assistant district attorney today. Without even pleading my case I got my 4 point speeding ticket reduced to a 0 point "leaving a car door open unsafely". She mentioned my clean record and seemed to like me.

If I plead guilty I would of had 4 points and a $200-$350 fine.
Instead I received 0 points and had to pay a $93 surcharge and a $50 fine.

Meticode
11-26-2013, 11:25 PM
UPDATE:

Met with the assistant district attorney today. Without even pleading my case I got my 4 point speeding ticket reduced to a 0 point "leaving a car door open unsafely". She mentioned my clean record and seemed to like me.

If I plead guilty I would of had 4 points and a $200-$350 fine.
Instead I received 0 points and had to pay a $93 surcharge and a $50 fine.
Good for you man. I'm glad you didn't take my horrible advice.

Meticode
11-26-2013, 11:28 PM
AARufusPaul dishing out life lessons free of charge. :applause:

Aint nobody got time for Waynicode advice unless he's outlining how to destroy a marriage being suffocating and needy.
You're so mean.

It's A VC3!!!
11-26-2013, 11:58 PM
I got two speeding tickets in my life. The first one I pleaded not guilty to and went to court and asked the cop if he can lower the $150 ticket at all. He lowered is to $125 and I paid it a couple of weeks later. The second time I got a ticket I pleaded guilty and got a ticket mailed home to me for $115. Reason for the difference in price? Likely court fees and some misc. fees. You already pleaded not guilty but when it comes to speeding, just plead guilty and pay the ticket.

enayes
11-27-2013, 12:19 AM
I got two speeding tickets in my life. The first one I pleaded not guilty to and went to court and asked the cop if he can lower the $150 ticket at all. He lowered is to $125 and I paid it a couple of weeks later. The second time I got a ticket I pleaded guilty and got a ticket mailed home to me for $115. Reason for the difference in price? Likely court fees and some misc. fees. You already pleaded not guilty but when it comes to speeding, just plead guilty and pay the ticket.

If you plead guilty you get points on your license, which raise your insurance. Yes, I know you can take an online course to lower them, but you can only do that once every 18 months (at least in NY).

I was going 47 in a 30, the ticket was going to be at least $150 but could have been over $300, with 4 points on my license. Either way it worked out better for me pleading not guilty.

It also keeps my record relatively clean, since the speeding ticket was reduced to a minor infraction.

Quizno
11-27-2013, 12:27 AM

you seem like the kinda guy who would walk in on his wife sucking some dude's dick and be like "awww... shucks... come on Sandra, really? I'll let you two finish up but it'd be nice if you didn't make a habit out of this. at least not in the house"

WEAK ASS

GOBB
11-27-2013, 12:45 AM
you seem like the kinda guy who would walk in on his wife sucking some dude's dick and be like "awww... shucks... come on Sandra, really? I'll let you two finish up but it'd be nice if you didn't make a habit out of this. at least not in the house"

WEAK ASS

:roll:

It's A VC3!!!
11-27-2013, 11:49 PM
If you plead guilty you get points on your license, which raise your insurance. Yes, I know you can take an online course to lower them, but you can only do that once every 18 months (at least in NY).

I was going 47 in a 30, the ticket was going to be at least $150 but could have been over $300, with 4 points on my license. Either way it worked out better for me pleading not guilty.

It also keeps my record relatively clean, since the speeding ticket was reduced to a minor infraction.
No, I got no points taken off my license. That was my first offense and we had agreed to just pay a fine. If I showed up to court and said "No, I'm not paying that fine", I would've had to go to trial in front of the judge with a lawyer then I would've had points deducted. And no online course either. And I'm in NY.

enayes
11-29-2013, 02:03 AM
No, I got no points taken off my license. That was my first offense and we had agreed to just pay a fine. If I showed up to court and said "No, I'm not paying that fine", I would've had to go to trial in front of the judge with a lawyer then I would've had points deducted. And no online course either. And I'm in NY.

If you are ticketed for going 1-10 MPH over the speed limit it's 3 points on your license, 11-20 is 4 points. (At least for NY)

If you pleaded guilty to the ticket, why were you not given any points?

It's A VC3!!!
11-29-2013, 01:20 PM
If you are ticketed for going 1-10 MPH over the speed limit it's 3 points on your license, 11-20 is 4 points. (At least for NY)

If you pleaded guilty to the ticket, why were you not given any points?
I don't know but I just wasn't. I had also written in the available space to the judge that this was my first ticket in about 10 months and it was due to having my grandma home alone and having to go watch her. Usually you get points deducted from your license but I didn't, and I know your not accusing me but I have no reason to lie. And I live in NY too. Rockland county to be exact.

enayes
11-29-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't know but I just wasn't. I had also written in the available space to the judge that this was my first ticket in about 10 months and it was due to having my grandma home alone and having to go watch her. Usually you get points deducted from your license but I didn't, and I know your not accusing me but I have no reason to lie. And I live in NY too. Rockland county to be exact.

Points get added to your license, not deducted.

You must of just had your charge reduced, but I'm surprised they would change anything with a guilty plea.

Draz
11-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Take a defensive driving course at your local driving school. They'll take off some points that were added I believe 4-5 points.

GilZero
11-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Great justice system you got there America.

enayes
12-02-2013, 06:12 PM
Great justice system you got there America.

We believe in second chances. (For whites only.)