PDA

View Full Version : Jameis Winston

BIZARRO
10-21-2013, 05:27 PM
WOW, FSU's quarterback is absolutely spectacular. Think he'll be the overall #1 pick whenever he decides to come out.

If you've seen him play, you know what I mean. 71% completion %, 20 TD's/3 Int., thrown almost 1/2 as many touchdowns as INCOMPLETIONS.

Sick cannon arm, mobile, great baseball player (throws 97 mph), AMAZING leader if you've heard him talk.

The most exciting and best college player I've seen in quite some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LUQwabjhI

p.s. As a Bears fan with the loser sour Jay Cutler, I wish the Bears could somehow get this guy. He is everything Cutler isn't.

Le Shaqtus
10-21-2013, 05:29 PM
I hate Florida State but I have to admit he's really good.

Kensta
10-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Mariota from Oregon is having a better season but no one talks about him.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-22-2013, 07:56 PM
East Coast media bias.

TheReal Kendall
10-22-2013, 08:47 PM
He's #1 in the heisman race

I thought they had Johnny Manizel as #1.

They act like he won it already

Thorpesaurous
10-22-2013, 09:34 PM
The kid is incredible. I saw him light somebody up like week two, and started looking into him some. He's one of those been prepping his whole life for this kind of prospects. If football recruiting were the event basketball is, he'da been Lebron. Guy's like this pop up every 10 20 years. Some burn out like Todd Marinovich. Some are Peyton Manning.

I like this kid's physical structure better than most as a pro too.

Carbine
10-23-2013, 12:05 AM
The kid is incredible. I saw him light somebody up like week two, and started looking into him some. He's one of those been prepping his whole life for this kind of prospects. If football recruiting were the event basketball is, he'da been Lebron. Guy's like this pop up every 10 20 years. Some burn out like Todd Marinovich. Some are Peyton Manning.

I like this kid's physical structure better than most as a pro too.

Football recruiting is probably more of an event than basketball recruiting in the US.

Thorpesaurous
10-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Football recruiting is probably more of an event than basketball recruiting in the US.

I don't know. Football recruiting is still far more regional than basketball is. And because of the variation in positional ranking, not to mention style ranking, I think it just doesn't get as absorbed by the average sports fan nearly as readily. And by style I mean team style. You have your best QBs, then you have a completely seperate demarcation for pro-style QBs vs. spread style running QBs. There are actually teams throughout the country who wouldn't want the top rated QB in the country just because of the system they run, which it makes it less universal than basketball. And they don't have a real all-american game to use as a marketing tool. I know that Under Armor bowl is out there, but they're barely playing.

Another indicator is the level at which HS basketball games, both team games and all-star games, are televised vs. HS football games, which have made a ton of strides in the last five years, but are still no where near what we see from basketball.

JimmyMcAdocious
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
In terms of exposure, I definitely agree that basketball recruiting is more of an "event" than football. Only my amatuer estimation from someone who follows both. If you include the behind the scenes stuff, it's football and it's not really close. Although how much of that is due to the fact that an average class is late teens up to the thirties? While for basketball, a big class is considered around 4-5+ players, and that's a big class.

I also think part of the reason for the basketball exposure is for the same reason why NBA stars are typically bigger than NFL stars. The whole face vs the helmet argument.

For instance, the Andrew Wiggins recruitment was bigger than any CFB recruitment I can remember in a while and Wiggins' pales in comparison to Shabazz Muhammad's which was merely two years ago. Harrison Barnes' was probably bigger than both. It happens regularly.

Save for coaching changes to build drama, I guess Clowney's was pretty big. Perhaps Mitch Mustain. Neither were quite the spectacle of a high end high school basketball's recruitment, imo.

KNOW1EDGE
10-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Teddy Bridgewater and Marcus Mariota are both better QB prospects. Probably Zach Mettenberger too.

Winston is a frosh having a good season. We'll see how he develops. He does look very promising though, strong arm, very mobile, good decision maker.

Thorpesaurous
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I think some of it due to the accuracy of the recruiters translating into pros.

Most HS All-American type basketball guys will be pro players in two years. And the cream of that crop typically goes at the top of the draft, and has a big career. They've either just gotten really good at identifying these guys, or they're force feeding their findings through the system (which is a different and fascinating argument, even if I only believe it in degrees).

Big time football recruits frequently don't make it.

I remember recent QB recruiting wars for Matt Barkley and Jimmy Clausen, neither of whom will be NFL starting QBs.
Weather it be due to style, injuries, or just a miscalculation of talent, there's just a wildly bigger variance between football recruiting and pro success than there is with basketball. And I think that's a big part of why basketball recruiting is such a big deal. The general public really feels like they're getting in on the ground floor with the next whoever for the next 15-20 years.

rezznor
10-23-2013, 04:58 PM
is this the kid that Mack brown passed on? :mad:

BIZARRO
10-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Teddy Bridgewater and Marcus Mariota are both better QB prospects. Probably Zach Mettenberger too.

Winston is a frosh having a good season. We'll see how he develops. He does look very promising though, strong arm, very mobile, good decision maker.

Nope.