PDA

View Full Version : Any there any engineering majors on ISH? Is there a book?

RoseCity07
10-22-2013, 02:11 AM
I'm taking my first engineering class this term and I'm so lost. Calculus and Chemistry have been a breeze so far but this class is causing me problems. Is it normal for a class to be taught with no book?

My engineering teacher does not use a book. We use some website where we read his notes. Then he gives us these problems and half of them can't be done with what we learn on the notes. Is this how schools teach engineering? They give you a few PDF files to read and see if you can teach yourself? The class average for the first quiz was a 60. Is this class BS or is this normal?

ace23
10-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Sounds pretty normal.

ballup
10-22-2013, 02:47 AM
I'm taking my first engineering class this term and I'm so lost. Calculus and Chemistry have been a breeze so far but this class is causing me problems. Is it normal for a class to be taught with no book?

My engineering teacher does not use a book. We use some website where we read his notes. Then he gives us these problems and half of them can't be done with what we learn on the notes. Is this how schools teach engineering? They give you a few PDF files to read and see if you can teach yourself? The class average for the first quiz was a 60. Is this class BS or is this normal?
Yep, totally normal.

Most, if not all of mine had textbooks. Can you give an example of the types of problems and what is given in your notes?

RoseCity07
10-22-2013, 05:13 AM
All the notes are on this page: http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~me120/doku.php

We've been learning about electric circuits (direct current). How to calculate voltage drops. One of my first assignments I programmed a few LEDs to turn on and off at different times and then loop.

The homework due later today is supposed to be more complex programming and I can't figure out what any of the notes mean. It's not really a tutorial. It's just a lot of random code that I don't understand.

I need a book to reference when I take a class. I need practice problems. There isn't anyway to build skills. We just get a problem, do it once, and move on to the next thing. So far I've learned Ohms law, how to calculate power, voltage drops, resistance, and current. That's it. This programming stuff has me confused. He wants us to use Excel, a program I have never used before, and then write out linear equations which we will then have to rewrite to use on our Arduino kits.

I'm thinking I will need to retake this class and we aren't even half way through the term. I like engineering, but it's frustrating because if you don't get something there are almost no resources to find the out how to solve a problem.

CeltsGarlic
10-22-2013, 05:37 AM
How are other classmates doing? Maybe they can help you.

TheReal Kendall
10-22-2013, 05:51 AM
What type of engineering?

I was doing computer Engineering but shit I hated Cal so it didn't turn out too good.

I know people that's dumb as shit that graduated in mechanical, civil, and electrical engineering.

So you just gotta hang in there.

My biggest problem was the cal and the other math.

Most teachers teach differently from others

shlver
10-22-2013, 03:19 PM
All the notes are on this page: http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~me120/doku.php

We've been learning about electric circuits (direct current). How to calculate voltage drops. One of my first assignments I programmed a few LEDs to turn on and off at different times and then loop.

The homework due later today is supposed to be more complex programming and I can't figure out what any of the notes mean. It's not really a tutorial. It's just a lot of random code that I don't understand.

I need a book to reference when I take a class. I need practice problems. There isn't anyway to build skills. We just get a problem, do it once, and move on to the next thing. So far I've learned Ohms law, how to calculate power, voltage drops, resistance, and current. That's it. This programming stuff has me confused. He wants us to use Excel, a program I have never used before, and then write out linear equations which we will then have to rewrite to use on our Arduino kits.

I'm thinking I will need to retake this class and we aren't even half way through the term. I like engineering, but it's frustrating because if you don't get something there are almost no resources to find the out how to solve a problem.
http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage
If you don't understand the programming language then learn it.
Plenty of free resources to learn excel on the internet. There should be free classes at your uni as well.

DukeDelonte13
10-22-2013, 03:46 PM
i remember getting a 23/100 an a physics exam back in college and it curved out to a C.

Engineering school is hard and tedious as f*ck. If math is your thing, go for it. If you are just OK at math or you think you can just deal with it for four years you should change your major.

riseagainst
10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
dude, engineering is such a broad term, like mathematics, or science. Tell us what type of engineering you are studying.

OldSkoolball#52
10-22-2013, 04:46 PM
Give up and become a mailman.

PM Gobb for tips on passing the civil servant's exam.

rufuspaul
10-22-2013, 04:53 PM
1. Major in engineering.
2. ???
3. *****

shaq2000
10-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Give up and become a mailman.

We're not *******, we don't give up.

Initech's gonna find out the hard way that I'm not a ***** if they don't start treating their software engineers better.

kNicKz
10-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Calculus and Chemistry have been a breeze so far

:biggums:

I think you'll be alright. Those classes basically ruined my life :roll:

blablabla
10-22-2013, 05:06 PM
i did AVR Assembler not Arduino, but i guess it's pretty similar

CelticBaller
10-22-2013, 08:17 PM
Chemistry is a bitch

DCL
10-22-2013, 10:14 PM
If math is your thing, go for it. If you are just OK at math or you think you can just deal with it for four years you should change your major.

times have changed. the economy doesn't care if a student has straight A's in literature, philosophy, or fine arts.

being near silicon valley, i see so many relatively dumb people land decent paying jobs with engineering degrees... guys who spent 6 or 7 years in school, not because they were working part-time, but because they were cancelling classes every semester/trimester when they realized they were likely to flunk the course. and they didn't even graduate from good schools, but from shitty ass places that any retard can attend. my ex's brother was one of these people.

RoseCity07
10-22-2013, 10:24 PM
I should have been more specific. Mechanical Engineering is my major. I went to class today and didn't have my homework done. Only 8 of the 20 something students got it done. I've talked to guys that are doing study groups and they can't figure it out after hours of studying the notes. One guy, he took 17 hours to do problem 5, and he only got it done because he copied a tutorial.

I really don't know how to pass this class. I mean I think I can do it if I don't sleep and find a youtube clip that explains programming. This class is pretty tough and I don't want to give up but I'd rather do very well in Chem and Calc than have this class drag me down.

RoseCity07
10-22-2013, 10:27 PM
times have changed. the economy doesn't care if a student has straight A's in literature, philosophy, or fine arts.

being near silicon valley, i see so many relatively dumb people land decent paying jobs with engineering degrees... guys who spent 6 or 7 years in school, not because they were working part-time, but because they were cancelling classes every semester/trimester when they realized they were likely to flunk the course. and they didn't even graduate from good schools, but from shitty ass places that any retard can attend. my ex's brother was one of these people.

This is what I'd like to do but financial aid is not so forgiving when you try to pull this move. I can pull this once a term, but the next term I must pass all 3 classes. Then I can do this again. It saves your GPA, but the money goes down the drain.

The world does need great writers and artists but you better be damn good if you plan on making a living with that background.

ace23
10-22-2013, 10:36 PM

Lol you sound mad.

DCL
10-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Lol you sound mad.

not at all. just giving practical advice.

ballup
10-22-2013, 10:59 PM

What? I was an average/above average student from a decent university and I still can't get a job. :(

Bosnian Sajo
10-23-2013, 12:34 AM
What? I was an average/above average student from a decent university and I still can't get a job. :(

Whats your major?