PDA

View Full Version : The Man Who Lives Without Money

East_Stone_Ya
10-22-2013, 06:33 AM
great article about a man who changed his life drastically

“For over 90 percent of our time on the planet, a period when we lived much more ecologically, we lived without money. Now we are the only species to use it, probably because we are the species most out of touch with nature.”

:applause:

http://www.trueactivist.com/the-man-who-lives-without-money/

hookul
10-22-2013, 07:04 AM
I do like/sympathise with his general decision and lifestyle.

It's just that I do ask myself how sustainable this is if:
- you get sick (like really sick requiring medicine/prescription drug or an operation? If you do not have an income, you cannot afford the basic routine monthy payment for health insurane or the lump sum you would have to pay if you go without insurance. Maybe my need for security is too high but to me this is the biggest obstacle why I cannot see myself going totally off the grid without ANY income at all.
- what about if you want to have a family? It's not that I think kid need the luxuries of consumerism. If anything I do believe that they would probably be a lot happier and healther growing up in a self-sustainable farm-like environmet. But kids need clothing, need books for school, etc. etc. Plus, I would imagine with kids one would also like to have some sense of security, meaning that if an emergency comes up it would be comfortable to know one has an emergency sum of money that one can tap into.

gigantes
10-22-2013, 07:30 AM
very nice. this guy is prepared.

Swaggin916
10-22-2013, 02:33 PM
I doubt he will continue to live like this... but when he comes back he will have a profound appreciated for all that we have created. All the materials, decorations, landscaping... it's all unnecessary, but they can definitely enhance the beauty of an environment. The main benefits of living on the grid are a safe place to live, reliable sources of energy, and hot water. Smoking weed on occasion helps me to appreciate the availability of food, a warm place to take residence, and an overall comfortable environment. I would rather work for a company (or start my own business) striving to make life even easier and have all the benefits than work to just get by like this guy does. It makes no sense to me personally (and that's just my preference). Is it clean? Yea. Is it in touch with nature? Yea. But you can have both of those, live on the grid, and live way more comfortably. This guy is not making a difference at all... it's just a lifestyle choice and it's not better or worse, it's just a choice.

Draz
10-22-2013, 11:06 PM
I like this. Maybe it's possible. I mean, we are so in touch with money and technology,

DCL
10-22-2013, 11:17 PM
how much drugs did this guy fry his brain with to come to this decision? :oldlol:

K
10-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Money is just a medium of exchange. I find it cute when people think it causes too many problems. It's irrational, but, hey, if it makes him happy.

DCL
10-22-2013, 11:52 PM
someone should ask rufus if he'd give dental care to a bum who has no money but barters fruits and vegetables for a root canal.