PDA

View Full Version : losing belly fat

Bandito
10-22-2013, 08:28 PM
I am not overweight at all, but I been doing a lot of cardio and I can't seem to lose belly fit so I can show my ABS. I work on them twice a week (I actually love doing abs/core workouts) and I know they are there because I can feel everything really hard, like I can do planks that last 5 minutes! I also use the elliptical 3 times a week and run for at least twice a week. I can't really run more because I have flat feet plus I had injuries in both my knees when I was younger so anything more than that will put more strain on my knees and I don't want to hurt myself.

My question is are there are some pills or other stuff that I can use that are safe that I can use for awhile that will make me lose the belly fat?

andremiller07
10-22-2013, 08:30 PM
I always thought the ab muscles (being able to see them visibly) was all about

a). Genes
b). Good Diet

Bandito
10-22-2013, 08:32 PM

a). Genes
b). Good Diet
I have a good diet, I even stopped eating fast food, but my genes are not that good though. I am the skinniest in my family by a lot considering I am 27 years old.

I weigh 190 for a 6'0 man, but a lot of that is muscle. I was 160 before I started working out, and I was eating fast food almost everyday.

TheReal Kendall
10-22-2013, 08:33 PM
I need to know this too.

I got a beer belly from a few years ago and I can't seem to get my wash board abs back.

I used to weigh like 155-165 and now I weigh 195 but I don't look fat it's just that I got a lil belly but it's not really noticeable.

Bandito
10-22-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't have a belly myself, but I can't still see any abs. I know I have to lose more weight like maybe 10 to 20 but I just can't seem to lose it.

pauk
10-22-2013, 09:11 PM
Do explosive/acrobatic workouts like plyometrics, sprinting, kickboxing etc accompanied with your weight lifting (or even do both together, see Rush-Fit program)... if you dont see anything but skin on top of your ab-muscles after a while then i dont know....

Bandito
10-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Do explosive/acrobatic workouts like plyometrics, sprinting, punching/kicking etc accompanied with your weight lifting (or even do both together, see Rush-Fit program)... if you dont see anything but skin on top of your ab-muscles after a while then i dont know....
i do sprinting once a week while I run. I jog for 4 miles, that is like 30 minutes approximately and for the last 5 of those 30 I will just sprint it to the end.

Aside from that I will check out plyometrics as I don't have any idea what that is:lol

B-Low
10-22-2013, 09:25 PM
i do sprinting once a week while I run. I jog for 4 miles, that is like 30 minutes approximately and for the last 5 of those 30 I will just sprint it to the end.

Aside from that I will check out plyometrics as I don't have any idea what that is:lol

Plyo workouts are basically short bursts. Using as much strength/energy as possible in short bursts, then resting, then doing it again.

So for example if you're doing jumps:

Regular - Jump a foot in the air, jump a foot in the air, jump a foot in the air

Plyo - JUMP 3 feet in the air....rest.....rest.....JUMP 3 feet in the air...rest...rest....JUMP 3 feet in the air

It's all about explosiveness. Like sprinting vs. distance running

Scholar
10-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Depending on how long you've been working out, a lot of it could be water weight. Then again, you did say you went from 160 lbs to 190, so I don't think that seems accurate.
I'd say try to do an all fruit & veggies diet for 2 weeks. Eat just fruits & vegetables with maybe some protein shake added to ensure you're still getting the proper amount between workouts. I remember reading one of those Men's Health magazines a few years back & it was something the author of the article tried, and it did work for him.
Nobody gets fat from eating fruits/veggies. It's the other food you add in your diet that harms you.

With all of that said, I'm still trying to lose some belly fat I've gained over this past year. Most of it has to do with the fact that I keep drinking on the weekends. Empty calories = no good.
I have, however, been doing this program called the Focus T25. I feel energized afterwards every time, but it's only been a week so I can't vouch for any results.
If I wasn't turned off by members on this site stealing pics, I'd post some of mine from me last year when I was barely drinking to this year when I've been drunk at least every Friday at minimum. I went from 150 lbs to 170 lbs in one year. :facepalm

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Maybe I should use my own post as a wake up call.

Bandito
10-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Depending on how long you've been working out, a lot of it could be water weight. Then again, you did say you went from 160 lbs to 190, so I don't think that seems accurate.
I'd say try to do an all fruit & veggies diet for 2 weeks. Eat just fruits & vegetables with maybe some protein shake added to ensure you're still getting the proper amount between workouts. I remember reading one of those Men's Health magazines a few years back & it was something the author of the article tried, and it did work for him.
Nobody gets fat from eating fruits/veggies. It's the other food you add in your diet that harms you.

With all of that said, I'm still trying to lose some belly fat I've gained over this past year. Most of it has to do with the fact that I keep drinking on the weekends. Empty calories = no good.
I have, however, been doing this program called the Focus T25. I feel energized afterwards every time, but it's only been a week so I can't vouch for any results.
If I wasn't turned off by members on this site stealing pics, I'd post some of mine from me last year when I was barely drinking to this year when I've been drunk at least every Friday at minimum. I went from 150 lbs to 170 lbs in one year. :facepalm

Anyway, sorry for the long rant. Maybe I should use my own post as a wake up call.It is , and I am pretty sure it mostly muscle because I have been working out for more than a year continuously and I have been weight lifting since 2011 on and off (due to injuries).

HeatFanSince88
10-22-2013, 10:47 PM
You're fat.

Reason for not seeing abs is
1) Fat
2) No Ab Muscles

Since you say you have muscle and can do ab exercises moderately well, that means you have too much fat. Eat less.

Bandito
10-22-2013, 11:10 PM
You're fat.

Reason for not seeing abs is
1) Fat
2) No Ab Muscles

Since you say you have muscle and can do ab exercises moderately well, that means you have too much fat. Eat less.
I agree but if I eat less I will lose muscle. Is not like I have a bad diet, I went to a nutritionist and she helped me balance my diet but right now I have what is called baby fat I think. I have been trying to lose that for over 3 years (since 11:facepalm ).

My friend told me to just take clenbusterol ( a pill that makes you lose weight) and I have another who injected himself with some stuff and lost some fat.

pauk
10-22-2013, 11:14 PM

For you its different, you said you dont have a belly yet cant see the abs... First of all, ofcourse you can see the abs! I mean when you flex and touch its pretty hard isnt it? That 4-6-8 pack being visible on a guy who has never worked out is only genetics, for those of us who cant see them no matter how skinny they are (i have/had that "problem" aswell) then you need to build/form so that those squares starts protruding out until that pack is visible and thats exactly what you need to do..... just work the hell out of your abs (not JUST your abs ofcourse, lol, you get it)...

So the last thing you need to do is much jogging in your case, i mean yes it is healthy but it burns also muscles like a mf and if you are skinny & dont pack muscles that is just a bad combination, visually, you dont want to end up looking like those Kenyan marathon runners lol... be careful with that.... just keep lifting, work those abs with the fury of an angry god, eat alot, rest alot...

gigantes
10-22-2013, 11:16 PM
... My question is are there are some pills or other stuff that I can use that are safe that I can use for awhile that will make me lose the belly fat?
neuroscience / medicine have some things to say about belly fat.

first, that it's the most harmful type of fat. second, that stressed individuals tend to concentrate it in that region, putting them in poorer health over time. and fat around the core organs is the worst type of fat.

assuming this is the case with you, then instead of looking at this on a quick-fix level, you might want to use this as an opportunity to work on the underlying causes, such as recognising the most stressful factors in your life and seeing if you can work on them.

i've personally had that experience. in my early-mid 20's i was in average condition... played sports, kept active, ate an average american diet, had little body fat but a small pot belly... then i went on a med that improved my sleep. it gave me more energy to attack work and social difficulties and as a consequence my body sort of transformed itself. pot belly melted away, and it was far easier for me to add muscle mass than ever before.

Levity
10-22-2013, 11:24 PM
diet and core workouts

get a kettlebell or something and just swing away every day or every other day

im 6 foot, 155-160, and my doctor said in order to stay this weight i need to run 20 miles a week.

pauk
10-22-2013, 11:27 PM
...and oh, one more thing.... so many guys are coming with excuses.... i was one of those aswell... "But i work so hard, i eat right and everything, i dont see results".... BS! and you know it deep down inside.... work your *** of for a year, every single day, blood, sweat, tears, murder your body, FORCE IT TO GROW with all your might, train like if a gun was pointed at your head everyday, then lets see..... :)

The Big Skinny
10-22-2013, 11:28 PM
diet and core workouts

im 6 foot, 155-160, and my doctor said in order to stay this weight i need to run 20 miles a week.

That is ridiculous. Unless you have a really low metabolism, or eat complete crap and never work out, I doubt that is possible.

Bandito
10-22-2013, 11:29 PM
neuroscience / medicine have some things to say about belly fat.

first, that it's the most harmful type of fat. second, that stressed individuals tend to concentrate it in that region, putting them in poorer health over time. and fat around the core organs is the worst type of fat.

assuming this is the case with you, then instead of looking at this on a quick-fix level, you might want to use this as an opportunity to work on the underlying causes, such as recognising the most stressful factors in your life and seeing if you can work on them.

i've personally had that experience. in my early-mid 20's i was in average condition... played sports, kept active, ate an average american diet, had little body fat but a small pot belly... then i went on a med that improved my sleep. it gave me more energy to attack work and social difficulties and as a consequence my body sort of transformed itself. pot belly melted away, and it was far easier for me to add muscle mass than ever before.Most of my stress has to do with money, because I don't have a job (well one that pay monthly)and I can't find one even though I try really hard looking for one. I work for the university but I don't get monthly checks, as I only got approved 80 hours at minimum wage.
I go to college full time and I am studying hard as heck to get A's trying to keep my scholarship (i get free tuition).
I am in the Air National Guard and they keep calling me for bullsh1t training that are always on class hours so I have missed a lot of classes thanks to them because they just don't care.
I have to fix my bumper because I was in an accident and I work Saturdays so I been driving like that since forever.
And to end it all I am having sleep problems.

So that's to summarize it all.

EDIT: Oh yeah I am paying my car with the unemployments checks.

Bandito
10-22-2013, 11:30 PM
diet and core workouts

I am not trying to lose weight though, I am trying to lose fat. If I lose weight I will have to stop weight lifting.

Levity
10-22-2013, 11:33 PM
I am not trying to lose weight though, I am trying to lose fat. If I lose weight I will have to stop weight lifting.

well if youre already skinny, then core workouts.

mainly deadlifts and atg squats.

Bandito
10-22-2013, 11:33 PM
That is ridiculous. Unless you have a really low metabolism, or eat complete crap and never work out, I doubt that is possible.
I run around 8 to 12 at most. That's 2 to 3 days a week for me.:lol

Bandito
10-22-2013, 11:35 PM

mainly deadlifts and atg squats.
I will check that out. I never did deadlifts because my old gym didn't have the equipment but my new one does. I keep forgetting to add that to my workout.:lol

Thanks for the help.

Levity
10-22-2013, 11:35 PM

yeah its just what he told me on my last physical the other month. it seemed like a shit load on paper, but considering i run full court bball games 3 times and week, and run at least 2x, im pretty sure im near 20. is that the sole reason i stay around 160? hard to say.

DCL
10-22-2013, 11:38 PM
Abs are made in the kitchen.

bingo.

pauk
10-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Abs are no different than any other muscle, doing high reps to much like so many (everybody?) do with the typical situps/crunches wont help them grow as much as abs concentrated low rep heavy weight workouts.... like cable crunches, press sit ups and my favorite hanging leg raises....

B-Low
10-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Abs are no different than any other muscle, doing high reps to much like so many (everybody?) do wont help them grow as much as abs concentrated low rep heavy weight workouts.... like cable crunches, press sit ups and my favorite hanging leg raises....

My personal favorite: V-Ups with a medicine ball. You'll definitely feel those (I use a 20lb ball for them but I've felt a burn with anything over 10).

pauk
10-22-2013, 11:48 PM
My personal favorite: V-Ups with a medicine ball. You'll definitely feel those (I use a 20lb ball for them but I've felt a burn with anything over 10).

Oh yes, love that! :bowdown:

gigantes
10-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Most of my stress has to do with money, because I don't have a job (well one that pay monthly)and I can't find one even though I try really hard looking for one. I work for the university but I don't get monthly checks, as I only got approved 80 hours at minimum wage.
I go to college full time and I am studying hard as heck to get A's trying to keep my scholarship (i get free tuition).
I am in the Air National Guard and they keep calling me for bullsh1t training that are always on class hours so I have missed a lot of classes thanks to them because they just don't care.
I have to fix my bumper because I was in an accident and I work Saturdays so I been driving like that since forever.
And to end it all I am having sleep problems.

So that's to summarize it all.

EDIT: Oh yeah I am paying my car with the unemployments checks.
wow, respect. :cheers:

well, mood-boosters (natural or pharma) can often improve sleep quality. meditation, singing / chanting and other stuff can also help with promoting calmness and a pleasant relaxedness that aids sleep.

maybe you could drop by the school counselors some time and discuss this stuff. they may have some ideas or recommendations... maybe even some samples for you to try.

sunsfan1357
10-23-2013, 12:33 AM

mainly deadlifts and atg front squats.
FTFY. of course regular back squats are great for the core, but front squats are pretty awesome at hitting the abdominal area itself.

GoRapz
10-23-2013, 12:42 AM
From personal experience I will tell you that abs are all diet/genes. If you are someone like me who does not have the greatest genes, I suggest getting on a strict diet for a few months. Try to understand what your body needs/doesn't need. Doing it this way will give you a better understanding of how to effectively diet instead of following some crap you see in a magazine where you'll just end up gaining back all the fat once you're off the diet

RoseCity07
10-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Probably the best thing you can do to lose it is to drink water. Aim for a gallon a day (yes it's safe if you are average build and height). I've heard that people trying to get rid of that last bit of belly fat you are supposed to drink distilled water. Your body won't retain the water the same way because it lacks minerals.

Also, eat a lot of vegetables. Put them in your eggs, have them with dinner. I buy packs of mixed veggies and try to eat them whenever I have eggs or chicken. Low calories and great for your body. I was starting to have a nice six pack last summer but my vacation eating habits ruined set me back.

macmac
10-23-2013, 01:23 AM
I was 6'1 200 3 months ago. Decided to get leaner then I've ever been to be lighter on the court and to feel healthier.

I've been counting my calories, keeping them under 2000 a day while still hitting the gym as much as I can not to lose muscle.

I eat lean chicken turkey or fish once a day with a small portion of good carbs and vegetables. Egg whites in the morning with a salad. And plain Greek yogurt with apples bananas raspberries blueberries almond slices and one scoop of just peanut crunchy peanut butter, as a snack once a day . I've lost 15lbs and most of my beer belly. I still have ways to go but I feel healthier and leaner than ever. It's all in the diet. And I cut out all the fried or fat junk and my body doesn't even crave it.

aj1987
10-23-2013, 01:45 AM
I agree but if I eat less I will lose muscle. Is not like I have a bad diet, I went to a nutritionist and she helped me balance my diet but right now I have what is called baby fat I think. I have been trying to lose that for over 3 years (since 11:facepalm ).

My friend told me to just take clenbusterol ( a pill that makes you lose weight) and I have another who injected himself with some stuff and lost some fat.
Be careful, if you're going to use clen. Read thoroughly about it and the dosage and then some more. RESEARCH. I wouldn't suggest using clen.

Use this page (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981) to help you calculate your macros. There are some pretty good thermos out there, which can help (you still need to monitor your diet and do cardio) you lose the fat, but nothing beats a good diet and exercise.

Again, I can't stress this enough. If you're going to take clen, you should be extremely thorough when researching.

Swaggin916
10-23-2013, 02:50 AM

a). Genes
b). Good Diet

:applause:

The amount of dedication I need to stay trim is not much... but the amount I need to get a ripped stomach is ridiculous. Even when I went Vegan for 3 months only eating only about 2000-2500 calories a day of great foods and exercising 5 times a week... I still wasn't that ripped in the stomach. I still had the small bit of blub on my stomach that I have always had despite being totally slim everywhere else. Genes play the biggest part in ab definition.

LBJMVP
10-23-2013, 02:57 AM
I need to know this too.

I got a beer belly from a few years ago and I can't seem to get my wash board abs back.

I used to weigh like 155-165 and now I weigh 195 but I don't look fat it's just that I got a lil belly but it's not really noticeable.

this

ace23
10-23-2013, 03:08 AM
this
You're up to 195?

Rolando
10-23-2013, 03:32 AM
In the end it is about how much you eat. If you got no abs, you got to lose weight.

As far as supplements go, I have heard that Yohimbe helps target belly fat.

Bandito
10-23-2013, 07:21 AM
I do those too, once a week because I do a ton of abs exercises and I tend to do a lot of them over the course of twice a week. I pretty much do circuits of 5 mins at least on the beach because I prefer working outdoors..

Bandito
10-23-2013, 07:23 AM
wow, respect. :cheers:

well, mood-boosters (natural or pharma) can often improve sleep quality. meditation, singing / chanting and other stuff can also help with promoting calmness and a pleasant relaxedness that aids sleep.

maybe you could drop by the school counselors some time and discuss this stuff. they may have some ideas or recommendations... maybe even some samples for you to try.
Maybe I should just do that. I tend to ignore those guys because I don't like people knowing about my life and stuff. Maybe I am just stressed out and need to calm myself down and get a better sleeping schedule because mine is horrible.

Bandito
10-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Probably the best thing you can do to lose it is to drink water. Aim for a gallon a day (yes it's safe if you are average build and height). I've heard that people trying to get rid of that last bit of belly fat you are supposed to drink distilled water. Your body won't retain the water the same way because it lacks minerals.

Also, eat a lot of vegetables. Put them in your eggs, have them with dinner. I buy packs of mixed veggies and try to eat them whenever I have eggs or chicken. Low calories and great for your body. I was starting to have a nice six pack last summer but my vacation eating habits ruined set me back.
I drink a lot of water a day but a gallon:eek:

Let's see I drink 400 ml water bottle and I do that 1 before I work out, 1 after I work out and 1 during the workout unless I am running which would be before and after. I drink one in the morning and on at lunch (I don't like juices or sodas), in the afternoon and before I go to bed..

So I would drink 7 x 400 ml which would be 2800 ml of water which would be 2.8 liters of water. I now there is like 3.78 liters in a gallon. So that means I am not even close.:lol