PDA

View Full Version : The reason Jason Collins hasn't been signed...

Myth
10-23-2013, 03:48 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1820135-nba-gms-chief-preseason-concern-keeping-owner-expectations-tempered

"

dajadeed
10-23-2013, 03:50 PM
He is not signed because he sucks.

pause...

ProfessorMurder
10-23-2013, 03:50 PM
I didn't read that, but there's no such thing as bad publicity if you're a shit team like the Raptors, Suns, Bobcats, etc.

Andrew Wiggins
10-23-2013, 03:52 PM
good enough to make which teams? even before he came out, people were wondering how the hell he kept ending up on rosters the last few years

it's funny that he's been trying to use homophobia as the reason he's not getting signed and it now it looks like him coming out when he did was in part to earn one last payday

Myth
10-23-2013, 03:53 PM
I didn't read that, but there's no such thing as bad publicity if you're a shit team like the Raptors, Suns, Bobcats, etc.

If you are a shitty team, you don't need a 3rd string center at the end of his career. If you are a good team, you may not want a player to say something offensive that draws media attention and team drama.

Eric Cartman
10-23-2013, 03:55 PM
They weren't going to sign him before so why would they sign him now? To not seem homophobic?

Dude is a scrub always has been, don't know why he has his thongs up in a bunch.

guy
10-23-2013, 03:55 PM
They obviously have a better perspective then I do, but I'm leaning towards it just being an initial blast, not something they'll be asked about all the time. If he was a star player and/or getting alot of minutes, maybe they'd be right, but he's going to be a scrub sitting at the end of every bench. I don't see the media paying constant attention to someone so irrelevant.

Myth
10-23-2013, 03:58 PM
good enough to make which teams? even before he came out, people were wondering how the hell he kept ending up on rosters the last few years

it's funny that he's been trying to use homophobia as the reason he's not getting signed and it now it looks like him coming out when he did was in part to earn one last payday

Has he himself said that is the reason he is not being signed? Your post seems pretty accusatory of him. Do you think he should have stayed in the closet?

NumberSix
10-23-2013, 03:59 PM
He's just not that good.

Myth
10-23-2013, 04:01 PM
They obviously have a better perspective then I do, but I'm leaning towards it just being an initial blast, not something they'll be asked about all the time. If he was a star player and/or getting alot of minutes, maybe they'd be right, but he's going to be a scrub sitting at the end of every bench. I don't see the media paying constant attention to someone so irrelevant.

I think it would be an initial blast too, but it seems these GMs fear that it could be more and don't want to risk it. I think that is the point here, is that he is now viewed as a risk. Before, he was low risk, low reward. Now he is high risk, low reward.

Myth
10-23-2013, 04:04 PM
He's just not that good.

Everybody knows that. The question is, even though he is not that good, is he good enough to make a roster, and if so, what aspect of him being gay is preventing him from making a squad. Is it really homophobia? Or is it the risk of drama? These GMs seem to think the latter is the reason.

Nuff Said
10-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Miami will pick him up for the low as they do all washed up scrubs who no one else wants.

MP.Trey
10-23-2013, 04:07 PM
6/6 player in his prime getting 32 minutes a game. And that was 9 years ago. He's 35 now and what use he had as a role player is pretty much gone by now.

HomieWeMajor
10-23-2013, 04:15 PM
He should sign to a Euro-League team where he can play with players of his own kind.

Scrubs

Andrew Wiggins
10-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Has he himself said that is the reason he is not being signed? Your post seems pretty accusatory of him. Do you think he should have stayed in the closet?

yeah, he implied it recently

the timing seems convenient; on the tail end of his nba career trying to earn a contract

Doranku
10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
He should sign to a Euro-League team where he can play with players of his own kind.

:roll:

Scrubs
:roll:

get these NETS
10-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Who is to say that the quote or GM is real?

unnamed source...? a GM said..

it's all BS

make up a quote attribute it to unnamed GM..and build story around that

Collins was a scrub in his physical prime...he adds nothing to an NBA roster in 2013

Never believed a lot of these phantom quote stories.

fos
10-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah right. The reason he isn't signed is because he's really bad. If he was even borderline worth the vet minimum many teams would sign him in a heartbeat FOR the media reaction and then they can suck their own ***** on how progressive they are and go on about social justice. Hell they'd probably give him a baby of his own he and his transexual partner could dress up and parade around in assless chaps.

El Kabong
10-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Even then you'd still probably have to deal with people who know very little about basketball flipping out cause the gay guy isn't being played and the straight guys are, like his sexuality is the reason he's riding the pine and not because he's not that good.

Myth
10-23-2013, 04:37 PM
Even then you'd still probably have to deal with people who know very little about basketball flipping out cause the gay guy isn't being played and the straight guys are, like his sexuality is the reason he's riding the pine and not because he's not that good.

I think that would get squashed pretty quickly.

2LeTTeRS
10-23-2013, 04:50 PM
I'll just quote myself the last time this was discussed

Why would you give Collins a try out? He's been in the league 10+ years, you know what he is at this point. If a team needs a 3rd center with some size to play D they'll sign him; if a team brings him in just for a "try out" its just a publicity stunt.

La Frescobaldi
10-23-2013, 04:54 PM
how come Brad Miller retired? same thing but without all the drama.

Miles and Miles
10-23-2013, 06:31 PM
If he were good and young he would be playing right now. End of story.

ProfessorMurder
10-23-2013, 06:35 PM
6/6 player in his prime getting 32 minutes a game. And that was 9 years ago. He's 35 now and what use he had as a role player is pretty much gone by now.

And what exactly did Juwan Howard and Camby add to their teams last year?

D.J.
10-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Even if he never came out, he wasn't getting signed anyway. Even at his best, he was a 6/6 player in barely 30 minutes and this was almost a decade ago. Back then, he could take charges and defend in the post against elite offensive bigs. But like I said, that was almost 10 years ago. Those days are long gone.

And if there's one athlete being discriminated against because of his sexual orientation, it's Kerry Rhodes not Jason Collins.

It's A VC3!!!
10-23-2013, 06:52 PM
He also sucks. Whether he came out or not, I doubt any team would sign him anyways. Championship teams will not pay the luxury tax for him ( if nets were to sign him, even on a vet. min, it would cost them $10 million due to being deep in the tax!). his career was done in the NBA a few years ago, I actually don't know why teams even signed him for the past few years. The whole gay thing plays a role too but if he were a stud teams wouldn't give a shit, now would they.

HurricaneKid
10-23-2013, 06:57 PM
The longer the NBA service time the higher the min salary. There is simply no upside to signing him. Apart from the circus he brings in to town of course. Everyone knew this was going to happen when he made the announcement. Not because he made the announcement but because he wasn't an NBA player any longer.

MP.Trey
10-23-2013, 07:00 PM
And what exactly did Juwan Howard and Camby add to their teams last year?
Juwan's a locker room guy, and it's not like he was just signed this year, he was signed thre years ago and actually played a role on that 2011 Heat team.

Camby probably just wanted to retire in NY.

Terrible comparison anyway. Juwan's a former all-star and Camby a former DPOY. They deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to an 11-12th man than a 35 year old that was barely worth playing time when he was in his physical prime.

niko
10-23-2013, 07:09 PM
He sucks and has no upside. You either have to be a good role player when healthy (like Kenyon Martin, etc. who do their role well if the wheels are working) OR you need to be young and athletic and have upside, even if it's only in case of a miracle. He has neither.

TheReal Kendall
10-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Dude is ****ing trash!

If Lebron said he was gay do you think teams wouldn't sign him?

Being gay has nothing to do with it.

If you can ball then a team will sign you.

I didn't read the post either

andremiller07
10-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Did he not make enough money from coming out and pretending to be a hero by being gay already? The dude right now would be a terrible player why would anyone want him and it's not like after that whole thing by him coming out he would be short in the pocket.

Dude needs to move on you had your unwarranted and undeserved 15 minutes of fame about something completely irrelevant and he milked it for what it's worth.

Heavincent
10-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Collins was an absolute scrub at age 25. Now he's 35, so...yeah, nothing else needs to be said.

La Frescobaldi
10-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Collins was an absolute scrub at age 25. Now he's 35, so...yeah, nothing else needs to be said.
he was one of the cream puffs Shaq got to stat-pad against so he served a purpose back in that time frame

iDunk
10-23-2013, 10:54 PM
What a gay reason.

kNicKz
10-23-2013, 11:42 PM
Everybody knows that. The question is, even though he is not that good, is he good enough to make a roster, and if so, what aspect of him being gay is preventing him from making a squad. Is it really homophobia? Or is it the risk of drama? These GMs seem to think the latter is the reason.

He hasn't been signed because he's 35 years old and averaged 3 pts a game in his career :roll:

He's a scrub , he could bang more chicks than wilt chamberlain...wouldn't change anything. GM's try to do this thing called winning games ...believe it or not running an NBA team is a business and not a soap opera (crazy right)

If collins was putting up 20/10 he could rock rainbow socks and someone would pick him up...simple as that