PDA

View Full Version : Realistically, what can the Pacers get for Danny Granger

Eric Cartman
10-23-2013, 04:13 PM
If Paul George takes it up a notch this year and gets to that superstar status, I don't see much place for Granger on the team and it would make sense to move him. Also who they get is crucial for when they face Miami in the playoffs.

IncarceratedBob
10-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Alexey Shved

KyleKong
10-23-2013, 04:24 PM
Kenneth Farried for Granger seems like a good trade for both teams.

El Kabong
10-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Well Indy won't pay the tax, so I doubt they're looking to trade him for a guy who needs an extension. Maybe salary dump him elsewhere and take some mid price talent or 1 guy making 10-11 million in return.

uber
10-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Kenneth Farried for Granger seems like a good trade for both teams.

I think you forgot Luis Scola.

Levity
10-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Well Indy won't pay the tax, so I doubt they're looking to trade him for a guy who needs an extension. Maybe salary dump him elsewhere and take some mid price talent or 1 guy making 10-11 million in return.

Pretty much.

Granger was on his way out after this season since stephensons extension is coming up. Maybe a contending team in need of a 3 would give up something worthwhile for him, but what team would that be? Detroit? but are they considered a contending team with granger?

possibly minny. but what do they have? Shved, like already been said? which actually wouldnt be too bad. hed be their best playmaker off the bench.

Eric Cartman
10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Potential Granger trade in this article

http://www.morningpickup.com/5-potential-trades-for-the-13-14-season/

Getting Varejao when they already have a deep frontcourt makes no sense.

On the other hand, those Rudy Gay and OKC/Suns trades make to much sense NOT to go down.

KyleKong
10-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I think you forgot Luis Scola.

That'd actually be great for Denver.

Scola is so underrated its not even funny, its sad.

uber
10-23-2013, 05:14 PM

What i meant was that the Pacers already have a solid backup 4 with Scola. They don't need Faried. And yeah, it's really sad how underrated he is.

Dr. Ice
10-23-2013, 05:16 PM
someway somehow he's gonna end up on the hawks. you heard it here first

Levity
10-23-2013, 05:16 PM
What i meant was that the Pacers already have a solid backup 4 with Scola. They don't need Faried. And yeah, it's really sad how underrated he is.

and even behind scola, they have copeland who can play the 4 next to west of hibbert, and even scola in some cases. so yeah the pacers are pretty stacked with PF's

Levity
10-23-2013, 05:18 PM
someway somehow he's gonna end up on the hawks. you heard it here first

Granger for Korver and filler?

Korver would look great off the bench for the pacers. replaces granger as their best 3pt option

outbreak
10-23-2013, 05:35 PM
If eric gordon gets healthy what about granger for gordon? Assuming granger would sign an extension there and that gordon is still hell bent on getting out of new orleans it would give the pelicans a guy who can be a good scorer.

longtime lurker
10-23-2013, 05:37 PM
If eric gordon gets healthy what about granger for gordon? Assuming granger would sign an extension there and that gordon is still hell bent on getting out of new orleans it would give the pelicans a guy who can be a good scorer.

I have a feeling Gordon't knee would magically get healthy once he's traded out of New Orleans. Either way the Pacers need to get immediate help if they trade Granger. They're on the cusp of a championship, don't do what OKC did. I think they should keep Granger and bring him off the bench. How many teams can boast having an all star player come off the bench for them?

KNOW1EDGE
10-23-2013, 05:39 PM

Why would the Pelicans do that? They are trying to go young with Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans and Austin Rivers.

Trading one of their best young players for Danny Granger makes ZERO sense.

Granger doesnt really fit in with these Pacers anymore. He needs to be traded, but it will be tough to get a deal done.

It's A VC3!!!
10-23-2013, 05:49 PM
The Pacers are not going to even attempt to trade him. His contract expires this summer and he is going to never be a Pacer again. The Pacers WILL NOT go into the luxury tax for any player. They are going to have to make a tough decision with Lance S. as well. I don't know if they are going to keep him. The year 2013-2014 is as good as the Pacers will ever be under this ownership, and possibly for the long-term future. They are banking on winning it all this season or risk losing several high-key pieces of their team.

JMT
10-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Because of the contract/cap situation, they can't get for Granger anything remotely close to the value he has for this team in 2013-14.

outbreak
10-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Why would the Pelicans do that? They are trying to go young with Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon, Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans and Austin Rivers.

Trading one of their best young players for Danny Granger makes ZERO sense.

Granger doesnt really fit in with these Pacers anymore. He needs to be traded, but it will be tough to get a deal done.

As I said, if Gordon keeps saying he wants out of New Orleans it's not a bad deal, with a line up like that they would have a good line up and in a couple years if they develop well they will be really good

HurricaneKid
10-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Has anyone bothered to open your eyes and see if he could play any more? Because he can't move. AT ALL.

And the new CBA destroyed the value of expiring contracts. Unless Ind wants to take on more salary in future years there is no value there. And since Granger's salary has already been moved over to pay Paul George and they have a max deal for Hibbert and an expensive David West deal there is no money there.

He stays with Indy this season and likely retires or takes a vet min deal next year.

ProfessorMurder
10-23-2013, 06:43 PM
Rondo/filler for Granger/pick

Pacers get a legit PG who would make them better, Celtics get an expirer.

Dro
10-23-2013, 09:30 PM
The Pacers are not going to even attempt to trade him. His contract expires this summer and he is going to never be a Pacer again. The Pacers WILL NOT go into the luxury tax for any player. They are going to have to make a tough decision with Lance S. as well. I don't know if they are going to keep him. The year 2013-2014 is as good as the Pacers will ever be under this ownership, and possibly for the long-term future. They are banking on winning it all this season or risk losing several high-key pieces of their team.
Larry Bird has already said he plans to keep Lance. As for Granger, I don't really care what they do with him next year but so far this preseason, he has played well and has looked fine in the starting lineup. But so has Lance so I'm still not sure who should come off the bench...

PickernRoller
10-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Fair trade? :confusedshrug:

http://www.totuckshop.ca/images/Doritos%20Nacho%20Cheese%20large.gif

for

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Danny-Granger-expects-to-play-in-preseason..jpg

Duderonomy
10-24-2013, 12:21 AM
Potential Granger trade in this article

http://www.morningpickup.com/5-potential-trades-for-the-13-14-season/
That guy has no business writing articles, just another one who spends 10 minutes on espn trade machine thinks they know how to be a gm.

el gringos
10-24-2013, 02:05 AM
Granger
For
Thornton and salmons

ILLsmak
10-24-2013, 09:51 AM
The reason it's tough is that they have a lot of the good positions on lock. I was gonna say they could maybe get Amare, but they already have West. And it seems like every team who could have a guard would not benefit. Deng came to mind, I dunno...

-Smak

wally_world
10-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Dragic + Frye for Granger + pick?

Pacers get a true PG to run their offense who's running a pretty good contract for 3 more years. Suns solve their PG logjam, lose Frye's contract and get an additional asset in the draft. Granger gets to be a 1st option player again to raise his value in the FA market.

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:44 PM
Entirely hypothetical situation here but ..

What about a Rajon Rondo for Danny Granger swap?

Pacers get a far superior playmaker that can do wonders for all their players really .. George, Stephenson can spot up/slash, use that athleticism to their advantage. George Hill can play off ball like he did back in SA. Rondo would do wonders stretching the floor for West/Scola and could dump off easy baskets to Hibbert.

Celtics get an expiring contract, a large expiring contract. Either flip Granger for pieces or let him get injured like he always does.

Complete rebuild, tank for a pick and go from there.

CanYouDigIt
10-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Granger for Marion + Calderon

Been preaching this all offseason for IND and DAL.

Pacers get a true PG and another perimeter defender.

Dallas gets a star player seeing they try so hard to get one from FA.

Dro
10-24-2013, 02:21 PM
I like both of those deals but I think the Dallas is deal is more realistic. I don't think Boston would trade Rondo for Granger straight up. I probably wouldn't either if I were Boston. The Pacers should do that deal in a heartbeat though if it ever became available...

El Kabong
10-24-2013, 02:25 PM

Pacers get a far superior playmaker that can do wonders for all their players really .. George, Stephenson can spot up/slash, use that athleticism to their advantage. George Hill can play off ball like he did back in SA. Rondo would do wonders stretching the floor for West/Scola and could dump off easy baskets to Hibbert.

Celtics get an expiring contract, a large expiring contract. Either flip Granger for pieces or let him get injured like he always does.

If Boston are trading Rondo I reckon they're making any team they deal with take Gerald Wallace contract along with him. Pointless to still carry his 3 year deal if you're completely rebuilding like that.

kurple
10-25-2013, 05:53 AM

how is that great for denver? like at all?

granger sucks. we have Gallo AND wilson chandler at SF. as well as Quincey Miller (who Brian Shaw compared to Paul George)

why the **** would we need granger?

Sure Scola could be a decent fit. But Faried is worth MUUUUUUUCH more

wally_world
10-25-2013, 08:22 AM

Not a bad deal but i think Celtics can get more from other teams for Rondo. And although this definitely upgrades Indy's PG position, idk how good a fit is Rondo. Their floor spacing and perimeter shooting has been an issue and Rondo won't help the cause.

Granger for Marion + Calderon

Been preaching this all offseason for IND and DAL.

Pacers get a true PG and another perimeter defender.

Dallas gets a star player seeing they try so hard to get one from FA.

This is probably one of the more realistic deals that i can see both teams doing. Imagine a defensive lineup of

Hill / Stephenson / George / Marion / Hibbert
or
Hill / George / Marion / Mahinmi / Hibbert

I'd try to poach VC into the deal as well for him to coat-ride to his 1st ring.

Fresh Kid
10-25-2013, 08:27 AM
for their own good they should keep him cuz tha overraterz won't make it dat far this year anyway:oldlol:

Mass Debator
10-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Granger for Greivis Vasquez and John Salmons/Luc Mbah a Moute

ballup
10-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Dragic + Frye for Granger + pick?

Pacers get a true PG to run their offense who's running a pretty good contract for 3 more years. Suns solve their PG logjam, lose Frye's contract and get an additional asset in the draft. Granger gets to be a 1st option player again to raise his value in the FA market.
I agree that the Pacers should target Dragic. This isn't such a bad deal, but the Suns would want more than just cap space and a pick.

kshutts1
10-25-2013, 01:47 PM
First, Pacers should play Granger at least 15-20 games. That gives the team an opportunity to judge fit and lineups, while also showcasing to the league that he's healthy.
Second, we need to consider what the Pacers need. Everyone mentions PG, but I really like Hill for their team. What I think the Pacers need the most is a scoring guard off the bench, in the mold of Nate Robinson, JET, etc. Someone that can get hot in an instant. Big problem with making that sort of trade, though, is that Granger fits that style of play. Just his position is the same as George's. So now we're trading similar play styles and, because of contract rules, similar contracts (Pacers will be unwilling to take on a longer contract, so needs to be an expiring deal). Just unusual to see such similar players/contracts traded.

Anyway, assuming Granger is healthy and shows he can score 15-20 ppg, here are some trades I think work for both sides (edit: Holy cow he is hard to trade. I like the Charlotte trade, hate the Lakers trade):

Ben Gordon and a protected pick for Granger (tricky because Bulls already own a protected pick, but not impossible).

Villanueva and Stuckey to Indiana. Monroe to Lakers. Nash, Meeks, Granger and top-5 protected Lakers 2014 to Detroit.

scm5
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
Realistically, i think the Pacers would need to give up George Hill along w/ Granger to get Rondo. I also think this would benefit both teams greatly.

wally_world
10-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Villanueva and Stuckey to Indiana. Monroe to Lakers. Nash, Meeks, Granger and top-5 protected Lakers 2014 to Detroit.

Nash + Meeks for Monroe :pimp:

pegasus
10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Realistically, i think the Pacers would need to give up George Hill along w/ Granger to get Rondo. I also think this would benefit both teams greatly.

I love Rondo's game, but they wouldn't have enough shooting without Hill and Granger. Someone like Redick at the SG spot next to Rondo would be perfect, though.

Mass Debator
10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Ben Gordon and a protected pick for Granger (tricky because Bulls already own a protected pick, but not impossible).

Indiana will not want Villanueva and Stuckey taking away $17 million in cap room. Actually, I don't think any team would want that combo. Both are cancers.

If Granger is going to get traded, it's for a play maker that can shoot to help out the bigs. I'm not sure Rondo will help them too much since it'll make the Heat have an easier job doubling down low. I honestly think Jose Calderon and Greivis Vasquez are Indiana's best choices. Mike Conley would be a dream come true but it ain't happening.

kshutts1
10-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Nash + Meeks for Monroe :pimp:

1) I said I hated that trade.
2) I included it because the Pistons need to move one of the front court players. They just signed Smith, and Drummond is the future. So Monroe makes sense.
3) You conveniently forgot the ever-valuable 2014 first round pick of a team that will likely be very bad.

kshutts1
10-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Indiana will not want Villanueva and Stuckey taking away $17 million in cap room. Actually, I don't think any team would want that combo. Both are cancers.

If Granger is going to get traded, it's for a play maker that can shoot to help out the bigs. I'm not sure Rondo will help them too much since it'll make the Heat have an easier job doubling down low. I honestly think Jose Calderon and Greivis Vasquez are Indiana's best choices. Mike Conley would be a dream come true but it ain't happening.
Both are expiring deals. So they're not taking away cap room. The Pacers don't have cap room. They're just replacing Granger's space.
And as for trading for "...a play maker that can shoot...", I agree. I thought that Stuckey fit the bill. Just looked up his percentages, though, and they are quite bad. Only 28-31% from 3... I have to rethink that suggestion.

Dro
10-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Although some people are saying Rondo wouldn't fit on the Pacers, I would love for him to be on the team. What he lacks in shooting he will more than make up for in transition and secondary fast breaks...Our fastbreak game was horrible and it would 10 times better with Rondo running it with George and Lance running with him. West/Hibbert grab the board quick outlet and they're off to the races.

verylegit
10-25-2013, 03:35 PM
They would be more exciting watch if they had a pg that can safely bring up the ball from one end to the other...you know, one of the fundamentals every worthwhile pg should posses.

salwan
10-25-2013, 03:45 PM
jamal crawford :lebronamazed:

Mass Debator
10-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Both are expiring deals. So they're not taking away cap room. The Pacers don't have cap room. They're just replacing Granger's space.
And as for trading for "...a play maker that can shoot...", I agree. I thought that Stuckey fit the bill. Just looked up his percentages, though, and they are quite bad. Only 28-31% from 3... I have to rethink that suggestion.
Yeah, but the Pacers are a win now team. This will probably be David West's last good year and he'll be too mentally exhausted if they don't win it all this year. Stucky and Villy will have minimal impact.

Believe it or not, I actually feel like Jeremy Lin will do good on the Pacers. Not sure how much Rockets value Parsons but a Lin + Parsons deal would be decent enough. It'll be a Lin pick and roll with West/Hibbert type offense with Paul George cutting. It reminds me of the Knicks when it was Lin, Amare, and Chandler, but Carmelo was too stubborn and selfish to successfully play off the ball...George is not.

Rameek
10-25-2013, 04:14 PM
I cant see how anyone would trade for a guy that always gets hurt and is currently hurt. :rolleyes: