PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird near Quadruple-Double game vs Utah Jazz 1985 (Rare)

Round Mound
10-23-2013, 05:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-68ELHO-iliE/Ufm5az1vVrI/AAAAAAAAGYA/ZSthbgnTOHM/s1600/LarryBird.jpg

Larry Bird in 3 Quarters: 30pts/12 rebs/10 asts/9 steals vs. Jazz 02/18/85, Bos-110 Utah -94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t6TFJwSBWo

:bowdown:

Harison
10-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Its also interesting how little Bird cared about personal records, pure team player driven to win :applause:

Rekindled
10-23-2013, 05:41 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown:

Pushxx
10-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Dude would tear today's NBA into pieces.

Trollsmasher
10-23-2013, 05:48 PM
I really cringe at watching those "highlights"

Nice statline though:applause:

Psileas
10-23-2013, 05:50 PM
Incredible game, but...not even 2 minutes of highlights?

AngelEyes
10-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Awesome post. Bird was truly a marvelous all around player and would dominate in any era.

King1991nba
10-23-2013, 07:07 PM
''We had lost our game in Los Angeles the day before and I ran into Pace Mannion of the Jazz right after our shootaround the next morning in the Salt Palace. 'We always get you guys at the right time,' he said. 'You are coming from Los Angeles, you are on a rough trip and then you have to play us. It's going to be our night.'

I said, 'Hey, you don't even have anyone on your team who can guard me.' I was just kidding around, right?

As it turned out, I was hot from the beginning, hitting three pointers, passing well and rebounding well. Sometimes you're just in the right place at the right time and this was one of those nights. I was fluid and everything felt perfect.

Once while I was taking the ball out of bounds in front of Frank Layden , I turned and said to him, 'Don't you have anyone who can stop me?' He laughed because he knew our whole team was playing really well, even though Robert, Max and Quinn were all injured and not even in uniform, so there wasn't much he could do about the situation. We were off to a great start, up 34-10 in the first quarter.

In addition to a triple double, I was making a lot of steals. I was able to sneak up behind Mark Eaton on some entry passes and I even picked off an in-bounds pass or two. By the end of the third quarter, I had the triple double. plus nine steals.

When K.C. asked me if I wanted to go back in because of the nine steals and a chance for that fourth double-figure category, I told him no. It was great of him to think that way for my sake, but my purpose every time we play is for the Celtics to win the game. I've never felt the greater puropse of my playing well is to break personal records, but it is to help my team win games. I felt I had already done that, so why go back in again? The other players were playing great ball and we were all satisfied and happy with our peromances and, as far as I'm concerned, that's the way is supposed to be played.''

What a legend!!

Here's the boxscore of that game...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198502180UTA.html

D.J.
10-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Amazing player he was. Prime Bird and current LeBron would be an epic matchup.

pauk
10-23-2013, 07:28 PM
:bowdown:

ProfessorMurder
10-23-2013, 11:33 PM
''When K.C. asked me if I wanted to go back in because of the nine steals and a chance for that fourth double-figure category, I told him no. It was great of him to think that way for my sake, but my purpose every time we play is for the Celtics to win the game. I've never felt the greater puropse of my playing well is to break personal records, but it is to help my team win games. I felt I had already done that, so why go back in again? The other players were playing great ball and we were all satisfied and happy with our peromances and, as far as I'm concerned, that's the way is supposed to be played.''

Compare this to Hakeem running the offense and trying to get 1 assist for an entire quarter to get his quadruple double. :oldlol:

Bird's a baller.

TheMilkyBarKid
10-23-2013, 11:54 PM
Larry legend! I really do wish I could have seen him play in person.