PDA

View Full Version : Argument against NFL being the top athletes in USA

demons2005
10-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Why is it a kid (and their parents) who has elite potential in both would push to become a non-QB NFL player if they had great NBA potential? The average NBA salary is many times the average QB salary which is the best paid position in football, even average players can make a lot more off endorsements, and they have normal health after their careers are over, whereas non-QB's don't. To me it seems obvious, there certainly are freak athletes in the NFL but am I think for the most part if they had the IQ/athleticism/hand-eye coordination to be in the NBA they would have gone that route. We all see what happened to Jimmy Graham when he couldn't cut it in the NBA.

-p.tiddy-
10-23-2013, 05:38 PM
in terms of sheer freak athleticism it goes:

1. LeBron James
2.-10. all NFL Players
11. Blake Griffin
12. Dwight Howard
13.-20. all NFL Players

something like that...

TheSilentKiller
10-23-2013, 05:38 PM
You could not have organized that statement any worse.

iggy>
10-23-2013, 07:09 PM
1a-Lebron James
1b-Calvin Johnson

2-Everyone else

christian1923
10-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Kids don't pick a sport based on money or how there lives will be after the sport. Most time they pick the game they love more or are best at.

And it's a lot easier to cut it in football than basketball. Your chances of getting a scholly or making it to the league are higher.

MavsSuperFan
10-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Why is it a kid (and their parents) who has elite potential in both would push to become a non-QB NFL player if they had great NBA potential? The average NBA salary is many times the average QB salary which is the best paid position in football, even average players can make a lot more off endorsements, and they have normal health after their careers are over, whereas non-QB's don't. To me it seems obvious, there certainly are freak athletes in the NFL but am I think for the most part if they had the IQ/athleticism/hand-eye coordination to be in the NBA they would have gone that route. We all see what happened to Jimmy Graham when he couldn't cut it in the NBA.
Because NBA is very height biased. I saw some crazy statistic once about the amount of people over 7 feet in the NBA. It was a crazy high percentage, but I forget it now. (note there arent that many people over 7 feet to begin with. I have never met one in real life.)

Take an athlete like Russel Wilson or RG3. I believe wilson is like 5'9 (I think its been rumored that the seahawks inflate his height alittle) and RG3 is like 6'1 or 6'0. Their earning potential in the NFL is more than their earning potential in the NBA.

Also what if your kid is just freakishly strong. Supposedly Larry Allen in his prime could bench 800Lbs. How is that going to help Larry Allen in the NBA? Strength is an aspect of athleticism, and the NFL rewards it more than the NBA.

TheReturn
10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
1a-Lebron James
1b-Calvin Johnson

2-Everyone else
I'd say Rose and Westbrook should be up there somwhere.