PDA

View Full Version : Early Rookie Assessment Thread

bagelred
10-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Based on what you've seen in the PreSeason, how do the rookies look on your team?

I'll give you Knicks analysis of Tim Hardaway Jr.

He's been impressive, IMO, so far. Plays with confidence and has the swag of an NBA player. Excellent jumpshot, so much so, that he could probably replace Novak in the lineup and not lose much from 3 point line. Obviously alot to learn as far as shot selection and defensive rotations, but I've been very impressed with his overall play. For a late first round pick (24th pick), looks like a nice success.

How bout yous?

Meticode
10-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Anthony Bennett

He settles for too many threes. So far 35%+ of all his shots have been 3's in the pre-season. He's 6'8" and 250 pounds. He needs to take advantage of that size and wide-shoulders more down-low. To compare that to Dirk, Dirk for his career has shot like under 25% for threes compared to all his shots. That should shed some light on how much he's settling for 3.3 threes per game (and take into account he's only playing about 20 minutes per game).

He needs get on shape. You can tell he's out of shape because of the shoulder surgery and him shedding ten or so pounds while trimming that fat off will do him some good. But how many players actually to this?

You can definitely tell he's talent, but he has to put in work for it to happen.

andremiller07
10-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Ben Mclemore

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=314112

KG215
10-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Something about Steven Adams. I'll just reserve this spot for later tonight after the game is over and after I get some homework done.

MastaKilla
10-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Straight skinny thighs son

Thunderstruck
10-23-2013, 11:49 PM
Something about Steven Adams. I'll just reserve this spot for later tonight after the game is over and after I get some homework done.

Steven Adams is the real deal.

Dr. Ice
10-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Dennis schroder will easily be the best pg out of this class in a few years.

dannywpt
10-24-2013, 08:40 AM

He has averaged more than 12 PPG and 12 RPG in the pre-season on over 60% FG%.

Perkins couldn't have averaged one of those stats over 7 games, even if it was the D-League, he played 48mpg and his life depended on it.

What does it take for Brooks to start Adams over Perkins?

S13M
10-24-2013, 08:51 AM
He has averaged more than 12 PPG and 12 RPG in the pre-season on over 60% FG%.

Perkins couldn't have averaged one of those stats over 7 games, even if it was the D-League, he played 48mpg and his life depended on it.

What does it take for Brooks to start Adams over Perkins?

Perkins must have some incriminating pictures of Brooks , that's the only explanation.

DukeDelonte13
10-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Bennett

What has impressed me --> He is actually focusing on defense and playing within the system, moving the ball around on offense and helping on defense. He's made some really nice passes and isn't getting abused defensively. He is playing with a lot of physicality on the defensive end. He's shown range and touch and his jumper. He has shown a glimpse of his dribble driving, but not enough.

What has not impressed me --> He's still not in shape, he's not aggressive on the offensive side like he was at UNLV, and he's not really looking for his. He's taking a bunch of threes because he's left wide open at the perimeter. Scoring has not been his focus.

Conclusion: He's an out of shape rookie big that is being told you are not going to play unless you defend. It's like the cavs are rebuilding his game from the foundation up, and I wasn't expecting that. Is it the right thing to do? Probably. Will he start this year? Probably not, especially with how well Tristan has been playing. He will hear bust talk all season long but he's fine. Cavs are just transforming his game from a no-defense gunner to a PF that can play in a system.

kurple
10-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Excellent jumpshot, so much so, that he could probably replace Novak in the lineup and not lose much from 3 point line.
:roll:

you still got it! funniest dude on ISH

novak is the 3rd best 3pt shooter in the league, behind Curry and Korver

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:20 PM
Dennis Schroeder is really going to surprise people this year. He's unbelievably gifted and talented across the board. Athletic, fast, good size etc. and he has a relatively high BBIQ for a rookie PG.

I expect him to have a legitimate shot at starting PG by the end of this season if he doesn't already.

Interested to see how Shabazz does as well

Uncle Drew
10-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Anthony Bennett

He settles for too many threes. So far 35%+ of all his shots have been 3's in the pre-season. He's 6'8" and 250 pounds. He needs to take advantage of that size and wide-shoulders more down-low. To compare that to Dirk, Dirk for his career has shot like under 25% for threes compared to all his shots. That should shed some light on how much he's settling for 3.3 threes per game (and take into account he's only playing about 20 minutes per game).

He needs get on shape. You can tell he's out of shape because of the shoulder surgery and him shedding ten or so pounds while trimming that fat off will do him some good. But how many players actually to this?

You can definitely tell he's talent, but he has to put in work for it to happen.

I agree with you. The most he's done in this preseason is standing for the three and catch-and-shoot, that is not his game. He needs to get his big ass in the post.

Also, and I realize these are rookie mistakes, he sets way too much illegal screens. Maybe like 2 a game. I know it's just preseason, but those turnovers might cost us games in the future. There are some signs of a first pick worthy player, but thus far, I'm not impressed by his overall game. He needs to get in shape asap.

HurricaneKid
10-24-2013, 12:36 PM
Giannis Antetokounmpo is 18 years old, is still growing and has had an AMAZING package of highlights from the preseason. He isn't there yet but I already wouldn't trade him for anyone in this entire class outside of possible Olidipo. He is going to be AMAZING in a few years.

This kid was playing on a neighborhood team in Greece miles from their best league and his athleticism was so striking he is playing in the league the following season. And more than holding his own.

DukeDelonte13
10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Giannis Antetokounmpo is 18 years old, is still growing and has had an AMAZING package of highlights from the preseason. He isn't there yet but I already wouldn't trade him for anyone in this entire class outside of possible Olidipo. He is going to be AMAZING in a few years.

This kid was playing on a neighborhood team in Greece miles from their best league and his athleticism was so striking he is playing in the league the following season. And more than holding his own.

yeah Giannis has definitely impressed. I'm surprised at how quickly he's adapting.

DukeDelonte13
10-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Karasev

what I like --> Great shooter with a quick release. Lefty. BBall iq and maturity well beyond his years. Awesome passer.

What I don't like --> He gets bullied too easily. He needs to get a lot stronger.

GatorKid117
10-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Oladipo.

He's been making those pre-draft scouting reports look silly. For a guy whose not supposed to have any offensive game whatsoever he looks pretty good. He has shown the ability to dribble quite effectively and to create his own shot. He's had a few games with some nice assist numbers and it give some credence to the thought that maybe VO5 starting at PG wasn't such a far-fetched idea after all. Everything else positive from those reports has remained true though. He gives it 110% all the time and is a tenacious defender. He looks to be a fringe potential franchise player at this point.

http://i.imgur.com/fo6Dzrb.gif

Turnovers are still an issue but thats to be expected playing PG for the 1st time. He also is taking a few too many 3s for my liking. All in all, super stoked to have him on our team :D

bagelred
10-24-2013, 04:56 PM
:roll:

you still got it! funniest dude on ISH

Well, that is true....I am the funniest dude.

But Hardaway could shoot 40% from 3 and it wouldn't surprise me. He has a nice shot.