PDA

View Full Version : Oden or Bynum...who would you take?

EveryManALion
10-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Obviously the quick answer is Bynum BUT lets assume Oden was not Mr. Glass and Bynum still had his strange bowling injuries and shooting 3's whenever he wants attitude. Who's baggage would you rather have? Assuming Oden was healthy.

ZenMaster
10-24-2013, 08:56 AM
You can't bend this hypothetical a bit more? That way you might get 99% to say Oden instead of only 95%..

EveryManALion
10-24-2013, 08:57 AM
You can't bend this hypothetical a bit more? That way you might get 99% to say Oden..

I'm not a Heat fan and honestly not trying to troll, I am just curious about opinions, let assume both were healthy and one was not apathetic(Bynum). Who would you take? Now AND back in 2007.

The only reason I ask is they are both the two biggest risks at the center position this year.

Uncle Drew
10-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Bynum, because he has shown he can be an All Star caliber player, while we have no idea what a healthy Oden looks like in the NBA.

EveryManALion
10-24-2013, 09:20 AM
Bynum, because he has shown he can be an All Star caliber player, while we have no idea what a healthy Oden looks like in the NBA.

Ok well how about this, assuming from Oden's limited time that he actually played since 2007 and if he had the time to develop do you think he would be on par with Bynum or even better by now? Obviously pure speculation but its 7 AM and I am bored.

Nash
10-24-2013, 09:29 AM
What baggage does Oden come with if it not being injury prone?

Also, Oden >>> Bynum

Oden was the next big thing when he came into the league with all that talent. If he wasn't injured he'd be shitting all over Dwight as the best center in the league for the past 4 years.

alenleomessi
10-24-2013, 09:37 AM
oden would have had 6 years to develop a better post game and to reduce his fouls...
not only bynum.. he would have been the best big man right now.. by far

KobesFinger
10-24-2013, 09:40 AM
Healthy Oden or unhealthy Bynum? I'd take current Bill Russell over unhealthy Bynum, silly question.

If both weren't injured I'd take Bynum simply because I've seen him play a full season so I know how good he is. Oden may have been highly touted and may have had all the potential in the world, but he could still have been a bust e.g. Kwame or Darko

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 09:41 AM
So we're going to ignore Oden's injuries, but not ignore Bynum's? That's dumb. If we excuse injuries of both players, I'd take Bynum in a heartbeat. He only shot 3s cause they weren't feeding him in the post like they were supposed to. This was during the season he was hands down the most effective post player in the NBA.

Uncle Drew
10-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Ok well how about this, assuming from Oden's limited time that he actually played since 2007 and if he had the time to develop do you think he would be on par with Bynum or even better by now? Obviously pure speculation but its 7 AM and I am bored.
I think I had to go with Oden. I still believe that Portland, at that time, made the right pick by taking him over KD.

EveryManALion
10-24-2013, 09:45 AM
I think I had to go with Oden. I still believe that Portland, at that time, made the right pick by taking him over KD.

I agree, I don't even remember, besides Howard, who was a somewhat dominant center back then when Oden got drafted. Now we have Cousins, Lopez, Bynum, Drummond, Oden(Kind of), Did KG play the 5 at all back then or only a little bit with Boston? but who was a decent center back in 2007? That was the year I JUST started watching the NBA religiously so I do know much about that time period.

JohnnySic
10-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Never injured Oden >>> Bynum

Things being what they are Bynum > Oden

DukeDelonte13
10-24-2013, 10:33 AM
What baggage does Oden come with if it not being injury prone?

Also, Oden >>> Bynum

Oden was the next big thing when he came into the league with all that talent. If he wasn't injured he'd be shitting all over Dwight as the best center in the league for the past 4 years.

ummmm alcoholism? addiction to pain killers? Dude was a mess the past couple of years. He straightened himself out but let's not act like Oden is this perfect choir boy.

And until oden does anything remotely close to what Bynum did its always gonna be

Bynum >>>> Oden.

HylianNightmare
10-24-2013, 10:53 AM
bynum has proved he can be the 2nd best center in the league

2LeTTeRS
10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
ummmm alcoholism? addiction to pain killers? Dude was a mess the past couple of years. He straightened himself out but let's not act like Oden is this perfect choir boy.

And until oden does anything remotely close to what Bynum did its always gonna be

Bynum >>>> Oden.

Aren't both of those issues at least partly attributable to him being a 24 year old whose body almost forced him out of his chosen profession? He's had what 5-6 knee surgeries? As a man whose mother dealt with those exact same issues (had both knees replaced and then had to have additional surgeries on both knees that forced her to retire from teaching [obviously while being much older]) I can tell you that these issues are to be expected.

scm5
10-24-2013, 11:12 AM
So basically healthy Oden vs Bynum with injuries and attitude problems.

Give me Oden because when he has been able to play, he has shown that he is capable of being a dominant Center. He hasn't been as good as Bynum has, but I'm sure he would be there or close.

TheReturn
10-24-2013, 11:13 AM
So basically healthy Oden vs Bynum with injuries and attitude problems.

Give me Oden because when he has been able to play, he has shown that he is capable of being a dominant Center. He hasn't been as good as Bynum has, but I'm sure he would be there or close.
Are you saying Bynum hasn't shown he is capable of being a dominant center?

Vienceslav
10-24-2013, 11:43 AM
If Oden was healthy and developed right, he'd be the best player in the league by now.:lol

EveryManALion
10-24-2013, 11:45 AM
If Oden was healthy and developed right, he'd be the best player in the league by now.:lol

Beyond Lebron? KD? I don't think so. Top 10 I can see though

but then again if Oden never got injured maybe KD would have never stepped out of his shell and things would be totally different and the Blazers far more dominant, also including if Roy did not retire.

kurple
10-24-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm better than Jordan in the "what if" world

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Is this under the assumption they're both in their current states?

Given Oden's knee history it's obvious one would choose Bynum based on those factors no?

I still think that Greg Oden would be arguably the best C in the NBA had he never gotten hurt, easily top 5 without a doubt. His dominant defensive presence was absolutely incredible at such a young age.

Oh what a dynasty the Blazers could've been ..

Roy/Batum/LMA/Oden

:facepalm

scm5
10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Are you saying Bynum hasn't shown he is capable of being a dominant center?

No, I'm saying that Bynum has health and attitude issues and that Oden has shown the potential to become as dominant as Bynum was/is if he's capable of staying healthy.

jbryan1984
10-24-2013, 12:30 PM
That's like asking if I wanted Allen Iverson or Steve Francis in 2008.

scm5
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Is this under the assumption they're both in their current states?

Given Oden's knee history it's obvious one would choose Bynum based on those factors no?

I still think that Greg Oden would be arguably the best C in the NBA had he never gotten hurt, easily top 5 without a doubt. His dominant defensive presence was absolutely incredible at such a young age.

Oh what a dynasty the Blazers could've been ..

Roy/Batum/LMA/Oden

:facepalm

That would truly be a scary team.

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:37 PM
That would truly be a scary team.

It's a damn shame ..

Roy/Batum/LMA/Oden could've rivaled Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka

for years to come ..

scm5
10-24-2013, 12:44 PM
It's a damn shame ..

Roy/Batum/LMA/Oden could've rivaled Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Ibaka

for years to come ..

Oh god. Between those two teams and MIA (sans Oden)... there would be clear-cut favorite to win the title

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Oden, Bynum, Roy, and Curry are all made of glass.

Curry doesn't belong in the same category as them, he plays.

scm5
10-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Oden, Bynum, Roy, and Curry are all made of glass.

Very common misconception about Curry.

He had one season where he got surgery mid-season, could have come back to play, but instead sat out because it was pointless for him to come back.

Aside from that, his other seasons he played 80, 78, and 74 games during those seasons. He could hardly be considered "made of glass". He plays through his injuries too.

Kyrie on the other hand... 51 and 59 games played in the two seasons he's been in the league.

DukeDelonte13
10-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Very common misconception about Curry.

He had one season where he got surgery mid-season, could have come back to play, but instead sat out because it was pointless for him to come back.

Aside from that, his other seasons he played 80, 78, and 74 games during those seasons. He could hardly be considered "made of glass". He plays through his injuries too.

Kyrie on the other hand... 51 and 59 games played in the two seasons he's been in the league.

What do you think the cavs were doing the past two seasons? Kyrie would have played a lot more to had it not been for the tank.

scm5
10-24-2013, 04:29 PM
What do you think the cavs were doing the past two seasons? Kyrie would have played a lot more to had it not been for the tank.

Let's take a look at his history of injuries:

Duke - only played 11 games due to toe injury

Rookie season - Missed 15 games due to broken hand

Sophmore season - Shoulder injury causing him to miss at least 3-4 weeks. Ends up missing 23 games

He has yet to have a fully healthy season in the past three years.

Meanwhile, Curry might roll his ankle a lot, but he plays through it and has been able to stay on the floor aside from one surgery that was supposed to make his ankle stronger. Result? Curry only missed 4 games the entire 2012-13' season.

Dbrog
10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Even when healthy Oden was never able to stay on the floor for a whole game due to his horrible fouling problem. Ima take Bynum without any thought

scm5
10-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Even when healthy Oden was never able to stay on the floor for a whole game due to his horrible fouling problem. Ima take Bynum without any thought

That's something that you can fix through experience.

NumberSix
10-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Bynum has a bad attitude. Niqqa doesn't care about the game. It's just his job.

HorryIsMyMVP
10-24-2013, 05:50 PM
Bynum has a bad attitude. Niqqa doesn't care about the game. It's just his job.
But it is his job.