PDA

View Full Version : How will the Rockets handle Parson's contract?

scm5
10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Parsons currently makes $926,500 which is ridiculously low for his talent level. Morey has come out and said that he and Parsons have talked about his salary and how he can't really do anything about it even if he wanted to.

Next season, the Rockets have a team option to retain Parsons for another year at only $964,750.

There are a few things that the Rockets can do:

They can retain him for just $964,750 and let him be unrestricted free agent in 2015. In 2014-15, the Rockets have a payroll totaling $68,877,826, but that number is reduced to $39,025,702 in 2015-16 which would allow the Rockets to sign another star player to join Harden and Dwight.

They could also not take the Team Option and let Parsons hit restricted FA and see what he gets. This would be the best thing for Parsons as it would get him out of a ridiculously low contract, but it's also risky for the Rockets because Parsons could potentially demand a larger contract than the Rockets are willing to pay.

They execute the team option for Parsons and use him as part of a trade along with someone like Asik or Lin for another player. LMA and Kevin Love come to mind as potentials to play alongside Harden and Dwight.

I just think it'll be interesting how the Rockets handle this situation as Parsons is one of the reasons Dwight went to Houston. Parsons is also potentially a future All-Star if he keeps improving.

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:19 PM
It's Morey.

Parsons will be getting his team options until they're forced to extend him BEFORE he hits RFA.

If Parsons hits RFA I guarantee he won't be a Rocket.

Morey doesn't overpay for anyone unless they're a perennial all star, border line superstar caliber player which I don't believe Parsons will ever become.

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
I think I read somewhere that Morey is going to let Parsons play his contract out this season. Don't quote me on that though.

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:26 PM
As he should.

Parsons signed a contract, you honor that.

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 12:28 PM
It's just gonna suck letting Parsons go though. He's young, good, white and handsome as hell. We need him.

CanYouDigIt
10-24-2013, 12:29 PM
If Houston decides to not keep Parsons, I'd rather them trade him to a contender that needs a SF than let him walk for free. Although finding a good trade scenerio would be hard with his small contract.

I'd like if Parsons stays with HOU. He's probably the best shooter on the Rockets, also adds pretty good athletism, and can play the 4 late in games.

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:31 PM
If Houston decides to not keep Parsons, I'd rather them trade him to a contender that needs a SF than let him walk for free. Although finding a good trade scenerio would be hard with his small contract.

I'd like if Parsons stays with HOU. He's probably the best shooter on the Rockets, also adds pretty good athletism, and can play the 4 late in games.

How is it hard to find a good trade scenario with a player who's on a rookie contract?

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 12:33 PM
How is it hard to find a good trade scenario with a player who's on a rookie contract?

Making the money match with a good player not on a rookie contract i think is what he means.

2LeTTeRS
10-24-2013, 12:35 PM
It's just gonna suck letting Parsons go though. He's young, good, white and handsome as hell. We need him.

If Parsons leaves its becuase the Rockets didn't believe he was worth whatever offers he gets as a free agent. They'll have his full Bird Rights once his contract expires and will be able to pay him as much as they desire.

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 12:36 PM
If Parsons leaves its becuase the Rockets didn't believe he was worth whatever offers he gets as a free agent. They'll have his full Bird Rights once his contract expires and will be able to pay him as much as they desire.

See the thing is I can't think of the last time we went over the cap though. I don't think we'd be willing to do that which is crazy not to to me.

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Making the money match with a good player not on a rookie contract i think is what he means.

Well in that aspect yes but there's always going to be a ton of suitors for a great player on a rookie scale contract.

Rockets could get a good young prospect/picks easily for Parsons today, let alone down the line after a season or 2.

CanYouDigIt
10-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Well in that aspect yes but there's always going to be a ton of suitors for a great player on a rookie scale contract.

Rockets could get a good young prospect/picks easily for Parsons today, let alone down the line after a season or 2.
There aren't a lot of players of Parson's caliber that are tradable who still on their rookie contracts. Parsons is on that Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard level.

I<3NBA
10-24-2013, 12:46 PM
:coleman:

maybe YOU need him more than you're letting on :D

IMO, taking the team option is the best course. if they allow Parsons to hit RFA, they will be forced to pay much higher (if they want to keep him).

good players on rookie contracts are an asset.

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 12:48 PM
:coleman:

maybe YOU need him more than you're letting on :D

Shhhhh :oldlol:

scm5
10-24-2013, 12:49 PM

The Rockets have Lin and Asik's contracts...

Parsons and Asik would be able to net the Rockets someone like LMA or Love easily I'd imagine. Love might need a third team involved since they already have Pek.

Lin is also expendable because the Rockets have Beverly who has shown that he could become as good or better than Lin. I see it as kind of pointless though as Lin would be an expiring by that point and the package of Parsons and Lin might not even get them a player of Parson's caliber.

GaryRaymond23
10-24-2013, 12:50 PM
There aren't a lot of players of Parson's caliber that are tradable who still on their rookie contracts. Parsons is on that Jimmy Butler or Kawhi Leonard level.

I'd agree with that, but if you can get a 1st year player with great potential AND a 1st rd pick you could potentially be in great shape. We all know Morey is the best at acquiring young talent.

2LeTTeRS
10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
See the thing is I can't think of the last time we went over the cap though. I don't think we'd be willing to do that which is crazy not to to me.

Different circumstances man. I'm pretty sure you guys were over the cap druing the Yao and T Mac era. In recent years as Morey kept payroll low as he was trying to acquire his superstars.

Now that he has 2 bona fide superstars I'd expect them to do everything possible to keep the core strong.

The Rockets have Lin and Asik's contracts...

Parsons and Asik would be able to net the Rockets someone like LMA or Love easily I'd imagine. Love might need a third team involved since they already have Pek.

This is simply not true. Minnesota and Houston would laugh you off Darryl Morey off the phone if he called with those offers.

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 12:54 PM
Different circumstances man. I'm pretty sure you guys were over the cap druing the Yao and T Mac era. In recent years as Morey kept payroll low as he was trying to acquire his superstars.

Now that he has 2 bona fide superstars I'd expect them to do everything possible to keep the core strong.

I hope you're right. I honestly don't know if we were over the cap back then. I'll check it out since I'm not actually going to do any work today lol.

2LeTTeRS
10-24-2013, 01:02 PM
I hope you're right. I honestly don't know if we were over the cap back then. I'll check it out since I'm not actually going to do any work today lol.

Payroll
2008/09 ~ $73.5 (cap $58.7)
2009/10 ~ $74.2 (cap $57.7)
2010/11 ~ $71.8 (cap $58.0)

scm5
10-24-2013, 01:11 PM
This is simply not true. Minnesota and Houston would laugh you off Darryl Morey off the phone if he called with those offers.

I'm assuming you meant Portland.

LMA doesn't want to be in Portland anymore, according to rumors. Asik and Parsons are both very talented players and Portland would be lucky to get these two for LMA.

Lillard
Batum
Parsons
Trob
Asik

I don't see how Portland would laugh off a trade that gets them a roster like that.

As for Minny, Love is an incredible player but they might lose him to Free Agency. I'd have to imagine that Parsons and Asik (or whatever player they get from a third party for Asik) would be one of the better offers they get.

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Payroll

Oh shit lol. Thanks!

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 01:13 PM

LMA doesn't want to be in Portland anymore, according to rumors. Asik and Parsons are both very talented players and Portland would be lucky to get these two for LMA.

Lillard
Batum
Parsons
Trob
Asik

I don't see how Portland would laugh off a trade that gets them a roster like that.

As for Minny, Love is an incredible player but they might lose him to Free Agency. I'd have to imagine that Parsons and Asik (or whatever player they get from a third party for Asik) would be one of the better offers they get.

I didn't read the Love part because I don't want him. The LMA part was spot on. I heard the rumors of him wanting to leave too. That's why I thought the Asik and Parsons idea was a fairly good one.

Haymaker
10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
I think Howard likes him around. Morey won't move him if that makes the big clown happy. Morey can let Lin expire and give Parson a decent contract.

2LeTTeRS
10-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Lillard
Batum
Parsons
Trob
Asik

Come on man the roster that the Blazers would have if they did this deal is garbage. If T Rob was good he wouldn't have been on the block for an entire month after you let the league know he was on the block (on May 30th (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--houston-rockets-trying-to-trade-thomas-robinson-to-free-up-cap-space-for-run-at-dwight-howard-215915027.html)); and you would have received more than 2 future 2nd rounders for him.

Also why do the Blazers want Asik when they already have Lopez. Asik is obviously better, but he has all the same strengths and weaknesses as Lopez.

OldSkoolball#52
10-24-2013, 01:30 PM
Payroll

I had assumed whomever said they wouldnt go over the cap meant to say luxury tax. Any team will go over the cap, theres no penalty for it.

Also, I really hope Lin's contract is making the Rockets a lot of money off the court. Because its definitely hurting them on the court.

OldSkoolball#52
10-24-2013, 01:31 PM
I think Howard likes him around. Morey won't move him if that makes the big clown happy. Morey can let Lin expire and give Parson a decent contract.

:oldlol:

Funny and true.

2LeTTeRS
10-24-2013, 01:34 PM
I had assumed whomever said they wouldnt go over the cap meant to say luxury tax. Any team will go over the cap, theres no penalty for it.

Also, I really hope Lin's contract is making the Rockets a lot of money off the court. Because its definitely hurting them on the court.

How is he hurting them? $7 mil cap hit for a player on a non-rookie contract is par for the course for a marginal starting PG in today's NBA.

Pra
10-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Wilson Chandler like contract maybe? 5yrs 31M (32) I forget the exact # should of probably googled it lol. with team option in the final year?

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

Yeah that's what I meant. I still don't know how the luxury tax works. I just haven't ever really given any thought into it. I say spend big to win big. Have we ever gone into the luxury tax?

Second part I agree with 100%. I told people to stop looking at Lin's contract as a contract for his talents. It's for the money he's going to bring in.

Flash31
10-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Depends if the Rockets keep lin.
Do they want another Steve Francis situation happening

Lin-Parsons are like that

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Depends if the Rockets keep lin.
Do they want another Steve Francis situation happening

Lin-Parsons are like that

I don't follow you. Explain.

pegasus
10-24-2013, 02:28 PM
He's saying Lin and Parson are shagging like two lieutenants after lights out...just like Francis and Mobley.

Flash31
10-24-2013, 02:29 PM

Francis-Mobley
was probably the strongest "bond" in the nba

After Mobley got traded,Francis said his heart was broken
and couldnt bear the thought of not seeing him anymore
He said he didnt know what to wake up for anymore

Lin and Parsons are close,maybe not that close but
I cant envision Lin or Parsons being happy that one of them is traded.
It might not be wise to trade either or.
You dont want to upset Lin.
Jordan was pissed when Oakley was traded and considered a trade at one point,
Wade,LeBron,Bosh have said that if either gets traded they want out as well.

The Rockets cant afford to have a roster with one of its main stars
not liking management and their choices causing a rift and
potential effects in their on court play.

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Francis-Mobley
was probably the strongest "bond" in the nba

After Mobley got traded,Francis said his heart was broken
and couldnt bear the thought of not seeing him anymore
He said he didnt know what to wake up for anymore

Lin and Parsons are close,maybe not that close but
I cant envision Lin or Parsons being happy that one of them is traded.
It might not be wise to trade either or.
You dont want to upset Lin.
Jordan was pissed when Oakley was traded and considered a trade at one point,
Wade,LeBron,Bosh have said that if either gets traded they want out as well.

The Rockets cant afford to have a roster with one of its main stars
not liking management and their choices causing a rift and
potential effects in their on court play.

Lmao!!!!! I feel you on that though. You should've mentioned Mobley in your first post and I would've gotten it lol. Yeah man that shit was funny as hell. There were tons of rumors around Houston even before the trade went down. Just seeing them two out on the town together just looked funny.

I don't think Lin nor Parsons are that important though that it could shake us up like that.

Flash31
10-24-2013, 02:46 PM
He's saying Lin and Parson are shagging like two lieutenants after lights out...just like Francis and Mobley.

exactly

Wade-LeBron,Bosh-bromance

Francis-Mobley- romance

Lin-Parsons-romance

theres a difference there
Just look at the evidence

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 02:49 PM
exactly

Francis-Mobley- romance

Lin-Parsons-romance

theres a difference there
Just look at the evidence

I disagree.

Lin-Parsons-bromance

Francis-Mobley- brokeback mountain

Flash31
10-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Lmao!!!!! I feel you on that though. You should've mentioned Mobley in your first post and I would've gotten it lol. Yeah man that shit was funny as hell. There were tons of rumors around Houston even before the trade went down. Just seeing them two out on the town together just looked funny.

I don't think Lin nor Parsons are that important though that it could shake us up like that.

Well Houston has a huge asian following and Lin brings them a lot of press,fans,money from that part
and is a good part of the roster

Shaking that up even if it improves the team wont be wise to Lin and Parsons sentiments towards management and the way they play

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 02:53 PM
Well Houston has a huge asian following and Lin brings them a lot of press,fans,money from that part
and is a good part of the roster

Shaking that up even if it improves the team wont be wise to Lin and Parsons sentiments towards management and the way they play

Lin's fighting for a starting job so he's replaceable. I hate to put it that way, but he is.

As for Parsons being unhappy, i mean, he's loved here. Always has been. Morey drafted him when everybody else passed up on him. Plus, winning cures all. Parsons is friends with Dwight already. Cat and Stevie were only friends with each other.

scm5
10-24-2013, 02:55 PM
We all saw how Landry Fields reacted after being torn apart from Lin...

Best keep Parsons and Lin together...

Flash31
10-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I disagree.

Lin-Parsons-bromance

Francis-Mobley- brokeback mountain

lets see Lin-Parsons
always together all the time,in photoshoits together extremely close,
mimicking each others actions,tucking each others shirts in and fixing each others appearance,grabbing each other,the way they look at each other,the comments

The footage speaks for itself

Lin-Parsons is closer to francis-Mobley than
Wade-LeBron,Damon-Affleck

Come on
Its obvious,nothing wrong with that but anybody can see
what it is just Lin-Parsons isnt out there like francis-mobley

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 02:59 PM
lets see Lin-Parsons
always together all the time,in photoshoits together extremely close,
mimicking each others actions,tucking each others shirts in and fixing each others appearance,grabbing each other,the way they look at each other,the comments

The footage speaks for itself

Lin-Parsons is closer to francis-Mobley than
Wade-LeBron,Damon-Affleck

Come on
Its obvious,nothing wrong with that but anybody can see
what it is just Lin-Parsons isnt out there like francis-mobley

damn i have nothing to come back with lol. that ether lmao. :bowdown:

Flash31
10-24-2013, 03:07 PM
Lin's fighting for a starting job so he's replaceable. I hate to put it that way, but he is.

As for Parsons being unhappy, i mean, he's loved here. Always has been. Morey drafted him when everybody else passed up on him. Plus, winning cures all. Parsons is friends with Dwight already. Cat and Stevie were only friends with each other.

cat-steve,just friends yeah quite a way to put that

Lin brings them money and a following,not exactly many Yao Ming or starting decent asian stars or players that could give them that revenue and replace Lin

And as seen from Mobley-Steve
you dont want to break up a connection like that

But anyways,as you said Dwight is friends with Parsons so Hou is going to do whatever makes the stars happy,Trading Lin,Paraons wont bode well for Dwights
feelings towards Rockets management

Its not necessarily the skill level thats replaceable
its the players themselves

Its like how the Heat wont trade Haslem
we saw how fields reacted to Lin being traded
how Perkins getting traded affected Rondo,
how MJ threatened a trade after Oakley got traded

Its not wise to disrupt a teams chemistry,or player connections

As we see Perkins now,doesnt seem like much and neither did Bos after Perkins trade but when Perk was with Bos,he was a top c,Dwight stopper,they had beat frontcourt an Bos Gelled and the team chemistry

With the way Hou got Lin and with the way they are paying him
They arent going to try to trade him
They practically pried Lin away from NY
and with how much Lin brings from the asian fans and the team chemistry
They wont trade him

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 03:38 PM
cat-steve,just friends yeah quite a way to put that

Lin brings them money and a following,not exactly many Yao Ming or starting decent asian stars or players that could give them that revenue and replace Lin

And as seen from Mobley-Steve
you dont want to break up a connection like that

But anyways,as you said Dwight is friends with Parsons so Hou is going to do whatever makes the stars happy,Trading Lin,Paraons wont bode well for Dwights
feelings towards Rockets management

Its not necessarily the skill level thats replaceable
its the players themselves

Its like how the Heat wont trade Haslem
we saw how fields reacted to Lin being traded
how Perkins getting traded affected Rondo,
how MJ threatened a trade after Oakley got traded

Its not wise to disrupt a teams chemistry,or player connections

As we see Perkins now,doesnt seem like much and neither did Bos after Perkins trade but when Perk was with Bos,he was a top c,Dwight stopper,they had beat frontcourt an Bos Gelled and the team chemistry

With the way Hou got Lin and with the way they are paying him
They arent going to try to trade him
They practically pried Lin away from NY
and with how much Lin brings from the asian fans and the team chemistry
They wont trade him

I agree with ya. The only part was the way i typed Cat and Steve being just friends was incorrect. I meant it like Chandler and Parsons are friends already so he wouldn't be alone. Cat and Stevie were only friends with each other and nobody else on the team. No doubt they were fuggin though lol.

NugzFan
10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Houston homers itt

Mr Exlax
10-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Houston homers itt

Where's the homerism in this thread though? We're just talking about a quality role player on our team.

rezznor
10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
houston is willing to pay the luxury if it's worthwhile. also, morey is done with gathering assets and flipping them, he wants to build around the core now.