PDA

View Full Version : Mike Miller Considering Lawsuit Against Heat

KingLeBronJames
10-25-2013, 12:21 AM
[quote]Mike Miller, a popular and contributing piece of two Heat championship teams before the team released him in July, is strongly considering filing a lawsuit against the team because he believes the franchise bears some responsibility for him being swindled by a con man, his attorney tells us.

Miller, who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, lost $1.7 million in a scam allegedly orchestrated by Haider Zafar, a South Beach bling king who presented himself as a member of a wealthy Pakistani family.

According to Miller's complaint that has been drawn up but not yet filed, a Heat employee introduced Miller to Zafar, and Zafar used $700,000 of the money he stole from Miller to pay for courtside Heat tickets.

Settlement talks between Miller and the Heat have stalled. Miller asked for that $700,000 back from the Heat, plus attorney

TheReal Kendall
10-25-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/idgas.gif

ProfessorMurder
10-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Newsflash to scammers:

It's not the best idea to scam a dude and then buy courtside season tickets to watch the guy play, by using his money. Get out of town instead of wasting 700k.

plowking
10-25-2013, 12:44 AM
So hes suing and blaming someone else for his stupid decision?

So typical of today's society as a whole. Always wanting something from someone and blaming someone else. People can't take responsibility for their actions anymore.

Droid101
10-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Hope Miller's lawyers rip that asshole a new one.

****ing scammers like this piss me off.

Droid101
10-25-2013, 12:50 AM

So typical of today's society as a whole. Always wanting something from someone and blaming someone else. People can't take responsibility for their actions anymore.
Come on man, the Vice President of the Miami Heat urged him to invest in this fraud. This is grounds for a lawsuit against the Heat, no questions asked. How can you be so obtuse?

LosBulls
10-25-2013, 12:55 AM

Miller determined that Zafar was a fraud in late April. Until that point,

ZMonkey11
10-25-2013, 12:56 AM

Yeah why did Bernie Madoff even go to prison? Indigents, all of them.

plowking
10-25-2013, 12:58 AM
Come on man, the Vice President of the Miami Heat urged him to invest in this fraud. This is grounds for a lawsuit against the Heat, no questions asked. How can you be so obtuse?

No one can make you do anything.
The guy is obviously a scum bag and what not, but take some responsibility. So what he urged him. You're a grown man, and if you can't make a good decision, then its on you.

poido123
10-25-2013, 01:07 AM

Dead on. He has every right to pursue this matter.

Heat were responsible for leading him to this blackhole.

They have some responsibility in it too.

Wally450
10-25-2013, 01:11 AM
SamuraiSwoosh never told us about this when he had drinks with mike millers brother.

CavaliersFTW
10-25-2013, 01:15 AM
The guy is obviously a scum bag and what not, but take some responsibility. So what he urged him. You're a grown man, and if you can't make a good decision, then its on you.
I hope you get scammed one day and lose money from some investor or family friend or w/e that you trusted with a huge sum of your money so that you'll realize that contacting a lawyer after something like is a much better option than shrugging your shoulders and thinking 'oh em gee lyfe's a b*tch this was all my fault heh he got me good!'. Scams like that warrant immediate legal action. Scams involving that kind of money are quite serious. If he does nothing about it he looses 700k and a scammer lived like a king off a huge sum of his money and is still on the loose able to do it again to whomever else he and his contacts can lure into a false sense of security. This isn't some pr*ssy McDonalds hot coffee incident, which is how it seems like your treating it. I agree some people sue over stupid sh*t, but this? Somebody needs to make a settlement to Miller to get his 700k back and a scammer needs to be dealt with. Can't have people like that taking advantage of other peoples money just because you think Miller and the rest of America should 'accept' scams as a fact of life and do nothing about them.

La Frescobaldi
10-25-2013, 01:22 AM
Clear off-base. You should examine Enron or Worldcom lawsuits, where executives urged employees to maintain their 401(k) accounts despite the executives knowing they were bad investments.
This is the same reason Eric Holder deserves contumely if not literal tar and feathering, for finding no illegality in the Wall Street debacle of 2008. They knowingly sold terrible investments, just like Enron, but holder is such a witless fool that in spite of Congress providing him with tens of thousands of cite-able cases... he couldn't find anything to charge them with.

plowking
10-25-2013, 01:32 AM
I hope you get scammed one day and lose money from some investor

Of course you do.

You're a scumbag who takes the internet too seriously and clearly still upset I owned you in another thread or something.

The fact that you wish ill fortune on someone over the internet who you don't even know shows your lack of integrity and maturity.

plowking
10-25-2013, 01:37 AM
Clear off-base. You should examine Enron or Worldcom lawsuits, where executives urged employees to maintain their 401(k) accounts despite the executives knowing they were bad investments.
This is the same reason Eric Holder deserves contumely if not literal tar and feathering, for finding no illegality in the Wall Street debacle of 2008. They knowingly sold terrible investments, just like Enron, but holder is such a witless fool that in spite of Congress providing him with tens of thousands of cite-able cases... he couldn't find anything to charge them with.

That strikes me as something entirely different.

Having someone vouch for someone else, isn't the same as knowingly distributing terrible investments or dodgy products.

CavaliersFTW
10-25-2013, 01:46 AM
Of course you do.

You're a scumbag who takes the internet too seriously and clearly still upset I owned you in another thread or something.

The fact that you wish ill fortune on someone over the internet who you don't even know shows your lack of integrity and maturity.
It stung a little when I said that, didn't it... the give away was (on top of the name calling) when you ironically tried to accuse me of taking the internet too seriously - mirroring your own serious demeanor embedded within your response. Kinda makes me want to say - chill man it's just the internet :D

La Frescobaldi
10-25-2013, 02:06 AM
That strikes me as something entirely different.

Having someone vouch for someone else, isn't the same as knowingly distributing terrible investments or dodgy products.
I suggest you read the OP again:
"Upon discovering information that would have led a reasonable person to conclude that Zafar was a fraud,

AussieG
10-25-2013, 06:00 AM
There are some trolls around.. or some accidently stupid people.

The court will sort it out.. if Miller doesn't deserve any compensation, he won't get it. Other than that.. I don't really care.. Miller will survive.. and the Heat will survive.

NLZ
10-25-2013, 06:14 AM
is plowking insane?

East_Stone_Ya
10-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Hope Miller's lawyers rip that asshole a new one.

****ing scammers like this piss me off.

agree

All Net
10-25-2013, 06:43 AM
He shouldn't of been an idiot.

FireDavidKahn
10-25-2013, 07:10 AM
He shouldn't of been an idiot.
Shouldn't have*

Toizumi
10-25-2013, 07:32 AM
I suggest you read the OP again:
"Upon discovering information that would have led a reasonable person to conclude that Zafar was a fraud,… the Heat and Weber had a duty to notify Miller, instead of continuing to endorse Zafar…. Due to the acts and omission of the Heat and Weber, Zafar was able to steal a large amount of money from Miller.”

So the Heat organization (Weber) had indirect information that Zafar was not credible.. did Weber personally know that Zafar was in debt for the Heat tickets and that he was a fraud?

The Heat and Weber had an obligation to notify Miller? Who is "the Heat"? Which persons within the organization knew about Zafar's debt and the fact that he was a fraud (not every person in debt is a fraud..) and did they know about the deal between Miller and Zafar? What is this "duty to notify" based on??

Weber thought he had a hook up for Miller. He was wrong, Zafar was a scam. Weber got played, Miller got scammed. Weber represents the Heat organization, but not when it comes to a hook up like this.. I'm pretty sure this deal between Miller and Zafar wasn't discussed in a Heat Board meeting or whatever.

I'm not familiar with US/common law, but based on what I've read in the OP a claim like this would not stand a chance in most civil law systems.

This sucks for Miller and his attorneys probably realize they won't get any money of Zafar as he has many outstanding debts and is in jail. However, holding the Heat organization (lol) and/or Weber (less lol?) liable could get Miller paid, so that's what they're trying to do.

niko
10-25-2013, 07:41 AM

His employer introduced them. If someone on the Heat also told him to invest, or it's a good idea, etc. he probably has a case here. Yes, it's Millers fault but what were the Heat doing?

BTW, some of you are ridiculous so far up your team's asses. NO THE HEAT CANNOT POSSIBLY LOSE A LAWSUIT. Why the **** would u even remotely care? If Dolan got sued for a million dollars and lost id not give it two thoughts.

La Frescobaldi
10-25-2013, 07:52 AM
So the Heat organization (Weber) had indirect information that Zafar was not credible.. did Weber personally know that Zafar was in debt for the Heat tickets and that he was a fraud?

The Heat and Weber had an obligation to notify Miller? Who is "the Heat"? Which persons within the organization knew about Zafar's debt and the fact that he was a fraud (not every person in debt is a fraud..) and did they know about the deal between Miller and Zafar? What is this "duty to notify" based on??

Weber thought he had a hook up for Miller. He was wrong, Zafar was a scam. Weber got played, Miller got scammed. Weber represents the Heat organization, but not when it comes to a hook up like this.. I'm pretty sure this deal between Miller and Zafar wasn't discussed in a Heat Board meeting or whatever.

I'm not familiar with US/common law, but based on what I've read in the OP a claim like this would not stand a chance in most civil law systems.

This sucks for Miller and his attorneys probably realize they won't get any money of Zafar as he has many outstanding debts and is in jail. However, holding the Heat organization (lol) and/or Weber (less lol?) liable could get Miller paid, so that's what they're trying to do.
Did you read the OP? at all.
safari went to the Heat and met executive Weber.
Zafar asked Weber if he could meet players about investments.
Weber, the executive, urges an employee, Miller, to meet with Zafar.

Did Weber perform due diligence? Was he trying to get the $3 million regardless of who paid it? You don't think there's a case for malfeasance? I suspect Weber may be an honest fool but Miller is at least partly right. If the company urged him to buy poor investments knowing that's what they were so that the company could get its 3 million back....
Of course this is all based on the OP. maybe Miller made it all up.
For basketball reasons.

kNIOKAS
10-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Just pay it up, Labran.

Toizumi
10-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Did you read the OP? at all.
safari went to the Heat and met executive Weber.

Yes. I did.
A month later, Zafar asked Stephen Weber, who was then the Heat’s executive vice president/sales, to introduce him to “Heat players with businesses Zafar… could invest in.”

Significant difference. Zafar asked Weber something, but he did not request the Heat organization. Weber is not the organization. He is a representative, yes, but also a individual, who can undertake actions out of function. Was he in or out of function when asked Miller to meet with Zafar? Also, requesting Miller to meet with another person is not an official Heat VP task and I'm sure this wasn't on any agenda. So was this the Heat organization, or Weber "urging" Miller to meat with Zafar. The lawsuit was filed against the organization. Also, urging a person to meet with another person, as an act, can not be something Weber can be held liable for. He did not yet know about Zafar's debts etc.

Zafar asked Weber if he could meet players about investments.
Weber, the executive, urges an employee, Miller, to meet with Zafar.
Did Weber perform due diligence?

If my employer, in or out of function, tells me I should meet with some random guy that can make me some money, it's not up to him (my employer) to do the due dilligence and check whether the guy is legit, right? Also, urging a meeting is not same as urging a person to invest money.

Is this negligence on Weber's part, because he forgot to mention to Miller that Zafar didn't pay his Heat tickets, which he found out a month (or two) after he "urged" Milller to meet with Zafar? meeh. maybe. It was not Weber that made the choice to invest. He only informed Miller of the possibility and "urged" him to meet with Weber.

Was he trying to get the $3 million regardless of who paid it? You don't think there's a case for malfeasance? I suspect Weber may be an honest fool but Miller is at least partly right. If the company urged him to buy poor investments knowing that's what they were so that the company could get its 3 million back....
Of course this is all based on the OP. maybe Miller made it all up.
For basketball reasons.

According to the complaint, Miller, “at Weber’s urging, met with Zafar at Heat offices,” and Weber told Miller that Zafar was “the real deal.”

Heat organization attorney will say it was Weber, out of function, advising Miller to meet with Zafar. Weber attorney will claim Weber is what you just called an "honest fool", who only advised Miller to meet with Zafar and nothing more and that should be that..

This doesn't sound like it has a shot, that's all I'm saying. I also mentioned I do not have much knowledge about common law systems or US law. Just saying that in most civil law systems this would not have a shot

Fresh Kid
10-25-2013, 08:32 AM
Im sorry to say this mike, but you should of known better to phuck wit queen Lebron and his bitch ass friends in tha first damn place:lol karma iz a grey hair bitch isn't it Mike?:oldlol:

La Frescobaldi
10-25-2013, 08:42 AM
[QUOTE=Toizumi]Yes. I did.
[B]A month later, Zafar asked Stephen Weber, who was then the Heat

gts
10-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Never go to court. Heat will pony up the cash to cover Miller's losses

Haymaker
10-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Never go to court. Heat will pony up the cash to cover Miller's losses

That's exactly what he's asking. To get paid what he invested. It's not much considering how much money the Heat has.

Jax
10-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Newsflash to scammers:

It's not the best idea to scam a dude and then buy courtside season tickets to watch the guy play, by using his money. Get out of town instead of wasting 700k.
He tried to scam more, dumb as hell doe lol, he wanted to impress the players and people in the organization to show that he had money.

I<3NBA
10-25-2013, 11:05 AM
will end in settlement.

kennethgriffin
10-25-2013, 11:21 AM

http://i39.tinypic.com/bzv9j.jpg

aj1987
10-25-2013, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=Toizumi]Yes. I did.
[B]A month later, Zafar asked Stephen Weber, who was then the Heat

PJR
10-25-2013, 11:31 AM
Mike Miller knows a thing or two about stealing money.

InfiniteBaskets
10-25-2013, 11:51 AM
No. Safari met Weber as a Heat executive.

If there is no contract or written statement saying how Weber is representing the entire Heat organization in propping up Safari for an investment opportunity, then I'm not sure how much responsibility for Weber's actions the entire team will bear.

Again, the team is pretty much owned fully by Micky Arison, who owns all of Carnival Cruises (which owns a ton of subsidiary cruise lines). It's likely he just pays $2M out of his own pocket and gives Weber a stern talking to.

Bigsmoke
10-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Miami should file a lawsuit on Miller for stealing all that money for like 4 good games

Fresh Kid
10-25-2013, 12:15 PM
:roll:

La Frescobaldi
10-25-2013, 06:44 PM
If there is no contract or written statement saying how Weber is representing the entire Heat organization in propping up Safari for an investment opportunity, then I'm not sure how much responsibility for Weber's actions the entire team will bear.

Again, the team is pretty much owned fully by Micky Arison, who owns all of Carnival Cruises (which owns a ton of subsidiary cruise lines). It's likely he just pays $2M out of his own pocket and gives Weber a stern talking to.
difficult to say from the OP for sure. Who knows what was said by whom, to whom. This will be interesting to see how it plays out tho

wakencdukest
10-25-2013, 08:26 PM
As Vice President of Sales, why is Weber even asking players to invest money with anybody? It seems he overstepping his job duties. It seems to me that it wasn't official Heat business because it probably wasn't authorized. On the other hand, if you run someone over in a company truck, the company is liable 100%. How are the Heat not responsible when a Vice President in their company does something this dumb? Leave the deals and investments to the agents, that's their job. I hope Miller gets paid in full and this shitbag Paki takes it up the ass in prison for a few years until he gets deported.

3LiftHeatCurse
10-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Mike Miller has cleared things up with ESPN, and says his lawyer was NOT authorized to tell anyone that he was thinking of filing a suit, but it's not Vs the HEAT. It's vs the scumbag who stole from him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9878935/mike-miller-memphis-grizzlies-unhappy-investment-scam-details-released

MIAMI -- Former Miami Heat forward Mike Miller said Friday he did not want details of a failed investment with someone accused of operating a multimillion-dollar real-estate fraud released publicly.

Miller said his attorney, Andrew Fine, was not authorized to tell The Miami Herald for an article posted online late Thursday night that he was considering a lawsuit. Miller, who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, told The Associated Press on Friday he's not even sure how much money he lost.

"I regret the unauthorized information shared disclosing a potential lawsuit and my private business dealings in the recent news reports," Miller wrote in a text message to the AP. "The Heat has always supported me and my family and we are grateful for our relationship with the team and its owners. They have given me and my family more than we could have ever asked for and for that I am so thankful!!"

305Baller
10-25-2013, 11:42 PM
SamuraiSwoosh never told us about this when he had drinks with mike millers brother.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/House-Sad-Head-Nod.gif

reppy
10-26-2013, 05:18 AM
This isn't some pr*ssy McDonalds hot coffee incident, which is how it seems like your treating it.

Those burns were brutal. I bet Mike Miller would rather lose 700k than sustain those burns.

Sort of off-topic, but figured it would be worth mentioning because people always throw it out there as an example of a "bad" lawsuit when in reality that's just propaganda from tort reform groups.

La Frescobaldi
10-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Those burns were brutal. I bet Mike Miller would rather lose 700k than sustain those burns.

Sort of off-topic, but figured it would be worth mentioning because people always throw it out there as an example of a "bad" lawsuit when in reality that's just propaganda from tort reform groups.

if I remember the judge based that case on 1 day's coffee sales for McDonald's corp.

La Frescobaldi
10-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Mike Miller has cleared things up with ESPN, and says his lawyer was NOT authorized to tell anyone that he was thinking of filing a suit, but it's not Vs the HEAT. It's vs the scumbag who stole from him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9878935/mike-miller-memphis-grizzlies-unhappy-investment-scam-details-released

MIAMI -- Former Miami Heat forward Mike Miller said Friday he did not want details of a failed investment with someone accused of operating a multimillion-dollar real-estate fraud released publicly.

Miller said his attorney, Andrew Fine, was not authorized to tell The Miami Herald for an article posted online late Thursday night that he was considering a lawsuit. Miller, who now plays for the Memphis Grizzlies, told The Associated Press on Friday he's not even sure how much money he lost.

"I regret the unauthorized information shared disclosing a potential lawsuit and my private business dealings in the recent news reports," Miller wrote in a text message to the AP. "The Heat has always supported me and my family and we are grateful for our relationship with the team and its owners. They have given me and my family more than we could have ever asked for and for that I am so thankful!!"

so in fact the whole thing is, as usual, a lot of hokum

Doranku
10-26-2013, 07:30 AM

Not your biggest fan but damn that made me laugh. :roll:

niko
10-26-2013, 08:07 AM
so in fact the whole thing is, as usual, a lot of hokum
How did you get that? It says he's sorry the information came out, not that it's false.

Prodigy
10-26-2013, 04:07 PM
I hope you get scammed one day and lose money from some investor or family friend or w/e that you trusted with a huge sum of your money so that you'll realize that contacting a lawyer after something like is a much better option than shrugging your shoulders and thinking 'oh em gee lyfe's a b*tch this was all my fault heh he got me good!'. Scams like that warrant immediate legal action. Scams involving that kind of money are quite serious. If he does nothing about it he looses 700k and a scammer lived like a king off a huge sum of his money and is still on the loose able to do it again to whomever else he and his contacts can lure into a false sense of security. This isn't some pr*ssy McDonalds hot coffee incident, which is how it seems like your treating it. I agree some people sue over stupid sh*t, but this? Somebody needs to make a settlement to Miller to get his 700k back and a scammer needs to be dealt with. Can't have people like that taking advantage of other peoples money just because you think Miller and the rest of America should 'accept' scams as a fact of life and do nothing about them.

I suggest you familiarize yourself with that case. It's not as black and white as you think. The coffee was much hotter than it should have been and the old lady got some SERIOUS burns.

plowking
10-27-2013, 08:52 AM
His employer introduced them. If someone on the Heat also told him to invest, or it's a good idea, etc. he probably has a case here. Yes, it's Millers fault but what were the Heat doing?

BTW, some of you are ridiculous so far up your team's asses. NO THE HEAT CANNOT POSSIBLY LOSE A LAWSUIT. Why the **** would u even remotely care? If Dolan got sued for a million dollars and lost id not give it two thoughts.

I couldn't give two shits about the Heat when it comes to shit like this. I'm there to watch their basketball product. If this happened to any other team, even the Bulls or Knicks who I don't like, I'd say the same thing.

Toizumi took the time and schooled you guys on the matter anyway.

La Frescobaldi
10-27-2013, 09:38 AM
I couldn't give two shits about the Heat when it comes to shit like this. I'm there to watch their basketball product. If this happened to any other team, even the Bulls or Knicks who I don't like, I'd say the same thing.

Toizumi took the time and schooled you guys on the matter anyway.

no he didn't that was not convincing at all

pegasus
10-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Me don't get it.:confusedshrug:

aj1987
10-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Me don't get it.:confusedshrug:
That's because you're a potato.

plowking
10-27-2013, 05:06 PM
no he didn't that was not convincing at all

Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it so.

La Frescobaldi
10-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't make it so.
yeah ok

NumberSix
10-28-2013, 11:45 PM
His correct title is "Miami Heat Legend, Mike Miller".

StickyWice
08-12-2021, 04:53 PM
dis is why you no trust anyone when you already rich mike

-stickyickyicky

And1AllDay
08-12-2021, 04:58 PM
dis is why you no trust anyone when you already rich mike

-stickyickyicky

imagine a broke canadien giving money advice :oldlol: