PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Franchise Fail of the Millennium?

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 01:03 AM
What ch'all think? I'd say OKC trading Harden.

Seriously, just think about this. They would have legitimately had 3 top 10 players at the same time. Not even Miami can say that. Bosh was never really a legit top 10 player.

They had Durant, Harden & Westbrook. All legit top 10 players in the league right now. That trade is a massive fail for such a bad reason.

I<3NBA
10-26-2013, 01:05 AM
that's nothing compared to losing Lebron. what's worse is they had 7 years of him.

russwest0
10-26-2013, 01:08 AM
How is Harden ever able to be a top 10 player as a 6th man in OKC?

You think he's able to average 25 PPG while KD and Westbrook get about 55 PPG together?

SMH at these dumb niqqas

cos88
10-26-2013, 01:09 AM
hard to choose between 04 lakers and 13 lakers.

i'll go with 7th seed lakers, title winner before season by 90% of the basketball world.

talkingconch
10-26-2013, 02:21 AM
hard to choose between 04 lakers and 13 lakers.

i'll go with 7th seed lakers, title winner before season by 90% of the basketball world.
uh No.

Dallas losing to 8th seed
Lebron and 11' finals/Heat
Cavs losing Lebron

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 02:24 AM
I honestly don't think Cleveland is as bad as OKC. LeBron was a FA. They couldn't do anything about it. OKC had ALL the power though. They just shipped him out for next to no reason.

Inferno
10-26-2013, 02:26 AM
Portland drafting Oden, or LeBron leaving CLE

russwest0
10-26-2013, 02:29 AM
I honestly don't think Cleveland is as bad as OKC. LeBron was a FA. They couldn't do anything about it. OKC had ALL the power though. They just shipped him out for next to no reason.

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

GatorKid117
10-26-2013, 02:50 AM
I'd say easily the '13 Lakers. When has a team with such massive preseason hype ever performed so poorly? Say what you will about all the other hyped teams/players that didn't get it done but at least they had some great moments during the season or at least looked the part at some point.

The 04 Lakers got to the Finals
The Mavs got the 1 seed
The '11 Heat got to the Finals

The '13 Lakers were a trainwreck from the start of the preseason to their embarrassing exit in the 1st round. Obviously injuries played a part in this but it still doesn't excuse the total ineptitude of that team from start to finish.

TylerOO
10-26-2013, 03:00 AM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

They could have amnestied Perkins, no?

I<3NBA
10-26-2013, 03:02 AM
the thread is about franchise fail, not team fail. there's a significant difference. franchise fail means it's not what the team did, but what the organization did that is a fail. that means trades, drafts, extensions, etc.

smh at all the morons here.

alec613
10-26-2013, 03:27 AM
Millennium? Yet people here only talk about recent events. smh, but I'll mention the recent ones anyway

Knicks and Zeke

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 03:38 AM
Millennium? Yet people here only talk about recent events. smh, but I'll mention the recent ones anyway

Knicks and Zeke
This current millennium hasn't been that long.

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 03:39 AM
The Seattle Kemp/mcilvaine situation is up there.

sc19
10-26-2013, 03:47 AM
2012-13 Lakers choking and underperforming.

Xiao Yao You
10-26-2013, 03:57 AM
Jazz not getting it done with Stockton and Malone.

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 03:58 AM
2012-13 Lakers choking and underperforming.
I more so meant the front office failure. Not the team playing poorly.

Nuff Said
10-26-2013, 04:05 AM

Knicks and Zeke

when do you think the millennium started?

DOUBLE DRIBBLE
10-26-2013, 05:54 AM
The Detroit Pistons selecting Darko Miličić with the 2nd overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft.

MMM
10-26-2013, 07:34 AM
TWolves and Joe Smith is easily #1. It set back the franchise and they haven't really recovered because they would eventually lose KG. Just can't remember if that happened in this millennium or the previous one.

knicksman
10-26-2013, 07:35 AM
I would rather build around bosh over lebron. REmember miami without bosh. Almost lost to an old celtics

sbw19
10-26-2013, 08:35 AM
TWolves and Joe Smith is easily #1.

That's the first thing that crossed my mind. Also Shard's contract. Dirk/Nash for Tractor/Garrity almost made the cut. Agent 0. Knicks playoff drought. D'Antoni anywhere other than Phoenix. Injury-prone centers (collectively.) And whoever suggested the Pelicans name change.

EnoughSaid
10-26-2013, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't say that Harden trade was a fail just yet. If Lamb and Adams don't become anything worthwhile, then yeah. Harden might be the best SG in the league for the next 10 years, so you have to take that into consideration. OKC might have just had the best PG, SG and maybe SF in the future.

The 2013 Lakers were obviously a debacle. But injuries and coaching and troubles within the team really held them back.

FatComputerNerd
10-26-2013, 09:09 AM
For the Cavs it has to be either the Harper/Ferry trade, or drafting Vitaly Potapenko over Kobe and Nash

La Frescobaldi
10-26-2013, 10:27 AM
gotta mention decline of Detroit.... although the team they put together this season may surprise a few people, they went from top to bottom in a hurry.

christian1923
10-26-2013, 10:30 AM
The harden trade. They didn't even get any good assets. Terrible terrible trade.

DukeDelonte13
10-26-2013, 11:08 AM
I think Lebron would have left cleveland no matter what, if not in 2010 then somewhere else down the line. Dude wanted to call the shots on where he was going to play at least once in his basketball career.

Harden trade gets a lot of hate but the writing was on the wall IMO. Harden wanted to be a franchise guy and OKC no matter what couldn't make that happen for him.

Pra
10-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Bobcats Draft picks before 2011.

Fresh Kid
10-26-2013, 11:24 AM
2011 cheat:applause:

MP.Trey
10-26-2013, 11:27 AM
For the Cavs it has to be either the Harper/Ferry trade, or drafting Vitaly Potapenko over Kobe and Nash
But those were last millennium. We're talking about this millennium.

Fresh Kid
10-26-2013, 11:29 AM
what a dummy:oldlol:

KG215
10-26-2013, 11:53 AM
The harden trade. They didn't even get any good assets. Terrible terrible trade.
Ahh, so you know what kind of players Adams and Lamb are going to be 3-5 years from now? Can you tell me what next week's lottery numbers are going to be?

FatComputerNerd
10-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Ahh, my bad.

I was simply thinking over the past 1000 years, aka biggest fails ever.

So we're talking about the year 2000 and forward only.

Probably gotta go with the draft of Luke Jackson in that case.

KyleKong
10-26-2013, 04:32 PM
The 2004 Lakers season broke up what could have been a duo that won 6 championships.

Legends66NBA7
10-26-2013, 04:44 PM
The 2004 Lakers season broke up what could have been a duo that won 6 championships.

No, it was done after 2004. They were just not going to get along with each other anymore. Shaq was done as an elite player after 2006 too, so really they would have had to win in 2005 and 2006... and Shaq was hurt a lot in 2006 too.

D.J.
10-26-2013, 04:55 PM
-Wizards drafting Kwame Brown #1 overall
-Mavs winning 67 games and losing in the 1st round

Though not this millenium, the Knicks choking away the title in '94 has to be up there and rarely gets mentioned. Starks putting up 27/9 in game 6, only for Ewing to shoot 6/20 from the field in a 2 point loss. Then game 7, Starks shoots 2/18 from the field in a 6 point loss.

SilkkTheShocker
10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
It's either the Harden trade or Cleveland's inability to find a better 2nd option than Mo Williams in the LeBron era.

jzek
10-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Gotta be Portland:

* drafts Bowie instead of Jordan
* drafts Oden instead of Durant
* drafts Roy who can't stay healthy
* drafts LMA who can't stay healthy
* had one of the deepest teams in history (early 00s) but couldn't get anything done
* "Jail Breakers"
* etc.

TheMarkMadsen
10-26-2013, 06:04 PM

Wait..what? Do you remember that time period or are you on bball reference just looking at the names on the roster.

TheMarkMadsen
10-26-2013, 06:06 PM
A team losing to one player through 3 quarters.

The JKidd Kid
10-26-2013, 06:06 PM
This current millennium hasn't been that long.
You mean Century. Millennium is 1000 years.

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 06:42 PM
You mean Century. Millennium is 1000 years.
This short post is like 4 different kinds of fail.

The JKidd Kid
10-26-2013, 06:46 PM
This short post is like 4 different kinds of fail.

:lol :lol :lol I just realized.

alexd
10-26-2013, 08:05 PM
They could have amnestied Perkins, no?
for the 1000th time.They couldn t amnestied Perkins because in order to reach the finals they needed a defensive big man.Who was gonna guard Howard etc?Ibaka and Collison?
Plus Harden came was a very good 6th man but nothing more at the time being.Everyone knew he would explode someday but not that much the very next year.Plus they had to either keep Ibaka or Harden.You almost always choose the big man,cause there are many decent SG in the league.Not in the level of Harden but decent

alexd
10-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Gotta be Portland:

* drafts Bowie instead of Jordan
* drafts Oden instead of Durant
* drafts Roy who can't stay healthy
* drafts LMA who can't stay healthy
* had one of the deepest teams in history (early 00s) but couldn't get anything done
* "Jail Breakers"
* etc.
Oden was the right choice,they just got unlucky.The dude was a beast and he would be a huge superstar if he could stay healthy
the same with Roy
in the early 00's Shaq happened

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 08:07 PM
for the 1000th time.They couldn t amnestied Perkins because in order to reach the finals they needed a defensive big man.Who was gonna guard Howard etc?Ibaka and Collison?
Plus Harden came was a very good 6th man but nothing more at the time being.Everyone knew he would explode someday but not that much the very next year.Plus they had to either keep Ibaka or Harden.You almost always choose the big man,cause there are many decent SG in the league.Not in the level of Harden but decent
Collison is better than Perkins. Maybe the most underrated big in the NBA.

alexd
10-26-2013, 08:09 PM
The Detroit Pistons selecting Darko Miličić with the 2nd overall pick in the 2003 NBA draft.
Milicic had huge talent bu never managed to keep it together.You can t predict the future when you draft a player.He had huge upside
Tall,lefty,long,athletic,strong with a soft shooting touch and he was only 18.They guy right now is 28 years old and he seems to be in this league like forever

alexd
10-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Collison is better than Perkins. Maybe the most underrated big in the NBA.
I agree with you but not for starter minutes.He can t handle Howard

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I agree with you but not for starter minutes.He can t handle Howard
Who can?

Young X
10-26-2013, 08:38 PM
dat Harden trade

Trollsmasher
10-26-2013, 08:38 PM
The Bulls

From the best franchise of the '90s to the laughing stock of the league.

NumberSix
10-26-2013, 08:40 PM
The Bulls

From the best franchise of the '90s to the laughing stock of the league.
Hmmmmm.... Not really. Pretty much EVERYBODY involved all wanted to leave. What can you really do at that point? It ran it's course. It was over.

The JKidd Kid
10-26-2013, 09:11 PM
It's easily the 2005-6 New York Knicks.

They had a $126 million payroll for a 23-59 record and 15th in the conference.

leMVP
10-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Lakers 2013.

russwest0
10-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I still don't understand where people get this idea that Harden would have taken any contract for OKC.

Sam Presti doesn't say much but when he did comment on it he said that Harden didn't want to discuss a new contract until the offseason basically meaning they had to hope he wouldn't leave somewhere else and Sam Presti doesn't f*ck around so he traded him. K. Martin + J. Lamb + S. Adams + Mavs 1st round pick. A one year rental, our future starting center, and Jeremy Lamb who is potentially our starting SG of the future. Plus the Mavs pick.

Some of you clowns must not realize that our record improved sans Harden. The Harden critics STFU last year until WB went down which in that case we aren't making the finals anyways so who cares.

When your top 2 star players get 50-60 PPG a night you need a 3rd option who provides more than just scoring. Harden doesn't do that.

noob cake
10-26-2013, 11:26 PM
I still don't understand where people get this idea that Harden would have taken any contract for OKC.

Sam Presti doesn't say much but when he did comment on it he said that Harden didn't want to discuss a new contract until the offseason basically meaning they had to hope he wouldn't leave somewhere else and Sam Presti doesn't f*ck around so he traded him

:lol :applause: :roll:

"The Thunder offered Harden $55.5 million over four years -- $4.5 million less than the max deal Harden coveted and will get from the Rockets"

Presti offered the deal and gave Harden 24 hours to take it. Then traded Harden after it has been rejected.

Presti shows us how to lose the best SG in the league in 24 hours.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8564589/james-harden-expects-sign-long-term-deal-houston-rockets

KNOW1EDGE
10-27-2013, 03:50 AM
Portland taking Bowie over Jordan, letting that sting for 30 years.

Then drafting Oden over Durant, and thats been stinging for about 6 years.

But yeah, OKC facked up by letting Harden go.

Ancient Legend
10-27-2013, 05:28 AM
The Blazers have at least won championships before, and so have the Sonics/Bucks/Wizards.

Phoenix Suns. 0 championships in 40 years.

- Lost drafting Kareem to a coin toss.
- Lost NBA finals to a Paxson three.
- Lost to Houston Rockets two years in a row after being up in the series 0-2.
- Lost Joe Johnson during the playoffs in 2005.
- Lost Prime Amare in 2006 when they were at their athletic best.
- Most certainly lost a chip because of a Robert Horry elbow.
- Lost series and possible deep playoff run to a Tim Duncan miracle three.
- Lost Conference finals after a miracle Ron Artest putback.

Runner up: Cavs, or the whole city of Cleveland for that matter.

Horde of Temujin
10-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Sam Presti doesn't say much but when he did comment on it he said that Harden didn't want to discuss a new contract until the offseason basically meaning they had to hope he wouldn't leave somewhere else and Sam Presti doesn't f*ck around so he traded him. K. Martin + J. Lamb + S. Adams + Mavs 1st round pick. A one year rental, our future starting center, and Jeremy Lamb who is potentially our starting SG of the future. Plus the Mavs pick.

Some of you clowns must not realize that our record improved sans Harden. The Harden critics STFU last year until WB went down which in that case we aren't making the finals anyways so who cares.

When your top 2 star players get 50-60 PPG a night you need a 3rd option who provides more than just scoring. Harden doesn't do that.

You are in denial. I understand. OKC has also screwed itself by refusing to get rid of Brooks and Perkins. It is so frustrating to watch a team with such two great players sabotage itself. I hope Durant and Westbrook leave or they get a new owner.

Meticode
10-27-2013, 10:54 AM
They shipped him out because he was going to get paid. They didn't want to pay it. Everyone on OKC knew how good Harden was/is. There's a reason they would give him the ball in the 4th quarter and how he lead the NBA in the 4th in free throw attempts. Remember that...he lead the 4th quarter in free-throw attempts. Led above the LeBrons, above the Kobes, about the Dwight Howards of the world.. When you give him the ball in the 4th quarter ahead of the Kevin Durant and Westbrook, they have to know something about the player at that time.

The issue with the Thunder is their owner doesn't want to pay. He keeps trying to keep them around the luxury tax threshold then they have to again find a third scoring option behind Durant/Westbrook. First it was Harden, then it was Martin, now they're hoping Reggie Jackson or Jeremy Lamb have a break out season.

Every team that has won a championship since the luxury tax changes has been over the luxury tax. In order to win you need to pay the money.

Horde of Temujin
10-27-2013, 09:18 PM
They shipped him out because he was going to get paid. They didn't want to pay it. Everyone on OKC knew how good Harden was/is. There's a reason they would give him the ball in the 4th quarter and how he lead the NBA in the 4th in free throw attempts. Remember that...he lead the 4th quarter in free-throw attempts. Led above the LeBrons, above the Kobes, about the Dwight Howards of the world.. When you give him the ball in the 4th quarter ahead of the Kevin Durant and Westbrook, they have to know something about the player at that time.

The issue with the Thunder is their owner doesn't want to pay. He keeps trying to keep them around the luxury tax threshold then they have to again find a third scoring option behind Durant/Westbrook. First it was Harden, then it was Martin, now they're hoping Reggie Jackson or Jeremy Lamb have a break out season.

Every team that has won a championship since the luxury tax changes has been over the luxury tax. In order to win you need to pay the money.

Well said.

What a disastrous move. Utter disaster. Too cheap to pay Harden and too stupid to cut Perkins. OKC should be a dynasty.