PDA

View Full Version : fans living outside the states...

Random_Guy
10-26-2013, 02:36 PM
why are you a fan of a certain team? is it because of a certain player?(eg kobe bron) or because of an event? Im just curious because I live in taiwan, and is a relatively new fan of the nba(about 3~4 years).
I started out a Celtic fan(still is) because of a documentary I watched when I was a kid. But I've never been really attached to a team. I generally just support a decent and exciting team each year (obviously still keeping a close watch on the celtics.) This year its the warriors for me, but it just feels unsatisfactory because you never really "feel it" even if they win. And because I don't have any attachments, I dont really care about the rivalries and stuff.

So, why do you support your team?
Interested to hear from UKballer, since not many people would choose the bobcats:lol

Sakkreth
10-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Raptors fan, because it usually has quite some international players, also it's non american team, some lithuanian players played there and there is some connections to lithuania.

Used to be cavs fan because of big Z, became LeBron fan eventually, because of his game and him being friend of big Z, so when it comes to best teams I root for Heat. Btw still kind of like cavs and follow em, because of the past and Kyrie is probably my favorite pg.

Rockets is kind of mixed feelings, want em to succeed because D-Mo plays for them, Parsons cool dude aswell, but man I can't stand Dwight... (wasn't cheering for rockets before).

Blazers, since Sabonis days, but stopped following them after Roy's injury.

Shade8780
10-26-2013, 02:51 PM
Celtics because I'm Irish.

Random_Guy
10-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Raptors fan, because it usually has quite some international players, also it's non american team, some lithuanian players played there and there is some connections to lithuania.

Used to be cavs fan because of big Z, became LeBron fan eventually, because of his game and him being friend of big Z, so when it comes to best teams I root for Heat. Btw still kind of like cavs and follow em, because of the past and Kyrie is probably my favorite pg.

Rockets is kind of mixed feelings, want em to succeed because D-Mo plays for them, Parsons cool dude aswell, but man I can't stand Dwight... (wasn't cheering for rockets before).

Blazers, since Sabonis days, but stopped following them after Roy's injury.
that's cool man:cheers:
must be awesome rooting for players that come from your country, no Taiwanese has ever played in the NBA, probably never will:oldlol: (I dont consider Jeremy Lin taiwanese though I do support him now and then lol). lithuania is an awesome basketball country. A lot of taiwanese are crazy about bball but we just suck in general :lol

shifty
10-26-2013, 03:13 PM
I'm a kobe fan originally and love the lakers. Have visited l.a. a number of times and am absolutely in love with that city. Can't see myself supporting another team.

alexd
10-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Seattle Supersonics cause of Kemp and Gary Payton.Plus i hated Jordan cause he always won in the 90s :lol

salwan
10-26-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm rooting for the celtics... mainly because of Rondo, who's my favorite player in the game. (Also loved me some KG and PP and their passion for the game.)

I used to be a Pistons fan growing up, because of Big Ben, who was my favourite player back then, and I loved their teamwork and defense.

So, I guess the main reason for rooting for a team is a certain player, followed by my love for great defensive teams.

cos88
10-26-2013, 03:53 PM
growing up i was a huge michael ruffin fan. he is huge here in europe, especially in central and eastern europe where i live.
i remember after his career night i got so wasted that the next morning i didn't regret losing my nokia 3410.

Random_Guy
10-26-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm rooting for the celtics... mainly because of Rondo, who's my favorite player in the game. (Also loved me some KG and PP and their passion for the game.)

I used to be a Pistons fan growing up, because of Big Ben, who was my favourite player back then, and I loved their teamwork and defense.

So, I guess the main reason for rooting for a team is a certain player, followed by my love for great defensive teams.
rondo :cheers: :banana: :banana:

BlackWhiteGreen
10-26-2013, 04:27 PM
I chose the celtics after I played with them on NBA 2003 - but I also have Irish heritage. Since the marathon bombings I've begun noticing how much I respect the city too.

UK-NJ
10-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Nets fan because my uncle's a New Jersey native & that was the only real geographical tie I had to any of the teams.

SHABBA
10-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I've been watching since the end of 09/10, I just took a year or so watching it and then picked a team based on who my favourite players were.

RagaZ
10-26-2013, 05:23 PM
You could ask the same thing to people outside UK:

Why do you support Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal?

pinhead
10-26-2013, 05:25 PM
The Heat because they are the best, baby.

rodman91
10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Bulls fan because I liked their badass logo in NBA Live 97 back in day. They had weird looking guy (Rodman) on their roster. It was fun.

Also later i discovered "Roster Player" is that famous Michael Jordan. That was a good surprise.

After that i watched Bulls games a lot and i loved the team. Phil Jackson was cool, Rodman was crazy, Jordan was best, Pippen was chill, Toni Kukoc was european but good player. And the intro music was awesome.

90's Bulls = Definition of cool team.

There are couple of teams i have sympathy for their player or bad records (i cheer for underdogs)

MP.Trey
10-26-2013, 05:36 PM
growing up i was a huge michael ruffin fan. he is huge here in europe, especially in central and eastern europe where i live.
i remember after his career night i got so wasted that the next morning i didn't regret losing my nokia 3410.
This can't be serious. :oldlol: Michael Ruffin!?

PizzamanIRL
10-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Lakers because of Michael Jordan.

MP.Trey
10-26-2013, 06:20 PM
Lakers because of Michael Jordan.
You're a fan of the Lakrrs because of Michael Jordan? How does that work? Wtf is going on in this thread? lol.

Legends66NBA7
10-26-2013, 06:23 PM
http://www.legalfind.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Toronto2.jpg

Est. since 1997, when I moved there.

QuebecBaller
10-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Seattle Supersonics cause of Kemp and Gary Payton.

This

Since they moved to OKC, I never had a favorite team... But I would love to choose one

pauk
10-26-2013, 08:14 PM
why are you a fan of a certain team? is it because of a certain player?(eg kobe bron) or because of an event? Im just curious because I live in taiwan, and is a relatively new fan of the nba(about 3~4 years).
I started out a Celtic fan(still is) because of a documentary I watched when I was a kid. But I've never been really attached to a team. I generally just support a decent and exciting team each year (obviously still keeping a close watch on the celtics.) This year its the warriors for me, but it just feels unsatisfactory because you never really "feel it" even if they win. And because I don't have any attachments, I dont really care about the rivalries and stuff.

So, why do you support your team?
Interested to hear from UKballer, since not many people would choose the bobcats:lol

Well i was born in fr. Yugoslavia (Croatia) in the 80s, Basketball was & still is maybe the most popular sport there than anywhere else in Europe (or maybe World with an exception being America ofcourse). My father was a player turned coach and was a huge Celtics fan, so i was into playing & watching basketball and NBA as early as i could possibly remember... thankfully my father recorded 100s of games (VHS) mostly with Celtics, got into the NBA fairly easy watching Larry Bird who is one of my favorite players of all time, lots of Lakers/Magic aswell... next thing you know i just got in time having the pleasure of growing up watching live games of the greatest player of all time doing his thing... fell in love with Reggie Miller.. Penny Hardaway.. and so on... NBA was inevitable...

The only team i ever essentially cheered for was the 90s Indiana Pacers (Reggie's fault)

poido123
10-26-2013, 08:25 PM
I idolised Jordan as many others growing up as a kid. That along with the basketball card craze that hit here in Australia during the early 90's reaffirmed the love of basketball at the time. I then found myself liking Rodman during the second threepeat, Noah is now my current favourite player. I appreciate guys who play solid and passionate defense.

My passion for the Bulls is strong. I could never find myself ditching my team for anyone. I've had the opportunity to visit Chicago and also go to a few games at the United Center. I would give anything to see the Bulls steamroll the Heat and win a championship in this era.

Anyways, good thread and thanks for asking. :cheers: :banana:

Collie
10-26-2013, 08:28 PM
It changes every year, depending on who makes the playoffs, but I rooted for the Bulls in the 90's, the Kings in the early 00's and the Celtics in the later 00's. Currently, I'm not really following any team, but watch for the games themselves. Might root for Brooklyn this year. Also Toronto, because I like many of their players.

chocolatethunder
10-26-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm a kobe fan originally and love the lakers. Have visited l.a. a number of times and am absolutely in love with that city. Can't see myself supporting another team.
What in gods name made you fall in love with LA?

pauk
10-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Not living in US, in a NBA city (or near) i think was one of the reasons to why i couldnt really find passion/love towards a team/city and naturally become a hardcore NBA team fan, think that might be a problem for other non-americans aswell.... I didnt like the pressure of choosing a team, just randomly pick a team to cheer for, didnt make sense to me, didnt like becoming a homer either as i loved to many players & teams and didnt really want to become a team fan just because of a player i like plays there (most non-american NBA fans do that, hell, 99.9% do that i believe)... so i said why not screw that part and just enjoy the NBA action.... it still is so unfortunately and i love it...

poido123
10-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Not living in US, in a NBA city (or near) i think was one of the reasons to why i couldnt really find passion/love towards a team/city and naturally become a hardcore NBA team fan, think that might be a problem for other non-americans aswell.... I didnt like the pressure of choosing a team, just randomly pick a team to cheer for, didnt make sense to me, didnt like becoming a homer either as i loved to many players & teams and didnt really want to become a team fan just because of a player i like plays there (most non-american NBA fans do that, hell, 99.9% do that i believe)... so i said why not screw that part and just enjoy the NBA action.... it still is so unfortunately and i love it...

JimmyMcAdocious
10-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Vancouver Grizzlies because of Eric Montross. He's pretty much Obama in Guatemala.

pauk
10-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Poido123, did Luc Longley (Australian afterall) have something to do with you becoming a Bulls fan aswell? :)

I had a country man there myself (Toni Kukoc), loved Pippen to death, MJ, Rodman.... am surprised i didnt go with the Bulls, but i guess it felt kindof like cheering for the Yankees you know, it was just an overkill of epicness and cheering for Jordan was just not amusing lol, the guy was the most unfairly good player ever, everything was so extremly one sided, it was inevitable who was gona win & what player was gona humiliate the other (Bulls/Jordan were THAT great and i believe the best ever), i liked underdogs more like the Pacers with Reggie.

leMVP
10-26-2013, 09:05 PM
I started watching NBA in early 2000, Loved AI and Tim Duncan and hated the lakers alot.

I was fan of the Sixers, Spurs at that time.

Then i stopped for about 2-3 years, and after that i saw the Cavs playing and saw Lebron, since then i decided to be fan of Lebron.

I remember back in 05-06 season i also hated Miami, Now i'm cheerng for them. LOL

poido123
10-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Poido123, did Luc Longley (Australian afterall) have something to do with you becoming a Bulls fan aswell? :)

I had a country man there myself (Toni Kukoc), loved Pippen to death, MJ, Rodman.... am surprised i didnt go with the Bulls, but i guess it felt kindof like cheering for the Yankees you know, it was just an overkill and cheering for Jordan was just not amusing lol, the guy was the most unfairly good player ever, it was inevitable to who was gona win & what player was gona humiliate the other, i liked underdogs more like the Pacers with Reggie.

No, not really. I started rooting for the Bulls at the start of the threepeat, so Luc Longley was an added bonus to it. :D

I know what you're saying and it annoys me that I am immeidately assumed to be a Jordan stan, when nowadays he is no longer my favourite player. :confusedshrug:

Having Jordan as a part of your team's history is a privilege and a curse when it comes to sterotyping the type of Bulls fans we have.

pauk
10-26-2013, 09:18 PM
No, not really. I started rooting for the Bulls at the start of the threepeat, so Luc Longley was an added bonus to it. :D

I know what you're saying and it annoys me that I am immeidately assumed to be a Jordan stan, when nowadays he is no longer my favourite player. :confusedshrug:

Having Jordan as a part of your team's history is a privilege and a curse when it comes to sterotyping the type of Bulls fans we have.

Ah ok..... and please dont misunderstand what i said before, didnt mean it like that.... i mean just because a player got you into a team doesnt mean you will bail the team when he leaves, the player gets you into it and then the team itself converts you into a true allegiant fan eventually, thats what i meant.... glad it worked for you, it didnt work for me though, but that is more because of choice, wanted to soak in all the NBA action from all teams/players... i love it, the only disadvantage is ofcourse not being able to witness the sheer joy when your favorite team goes into thrillers & especially raise that trophy....

So yea, dont worry about that........ people dont know you thoroughly and hence build their own interpretations automatically & stereotypically all the time, especially on ISH :D

livingby3's
10-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I was a player fan first then a team fan. Watched the NBA on the TV once, saw Mavericks Nash's game and i fell in love with the way he play. Ever since I followed Nash closely. And that's when a couple seasons later I moved with him to Phoenix.

The mid 00's Suns were a joy to watch. Through the years i always loved the other players outside Nash that played for the Suns. LB, Bell, Jrich, Eddie House, Hill, Tim Thomas, Marion, Stat, Burke, Diaw, Qrich, JJ, Dragic, Frye, Jdud, Lopez, Lou, Redd, VC, Dowdell

Even though the Suns management had made some rough decisions over the last decade, I became a fan of the Suns. Rather than a Nash fan which i was to start. I admired Nash as a player for the things he brought to Phoenix, and also for what he achieved there. i.e MVSteve. I felt rooted to the Suns and even after Nash left, they are my team to root for.

chips93
10-26-2013, 09:53 PM
i was born in ohio, so i root for the cavs.

also, it didnt hurt that the cavs had lebron when i started following the nba :lol

Wavves
10-26-2013, 10:44 PM
When I was younger I liked the look of the Blazers jerseys so I liked them that way :oldlol: Only started being a fan when I actually began to watch more and more games and fell in love with Brandon Roy.

Now I'm proud to call myself a Blazer fan.

crunk-juice
10-26-2013, 11:30 PM
lived in the UK till 2000 before coming to Indiana. easy team to grow fond of.

NumberSix
10-27-2013, 12:12 AM
I hereby decree that Bulls fans shall henceforth be known as "Bulls fαgs". I have deemed it so, and so it shall be.

Random_Guy
10-27-2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, i guess what I wanted to ask was how to really associate myself with a team?

S13M
10-27-2013, 04:19 AM
OKC, like many others I started as a player only fan. I liked Durant's game coming out of college and started watching Seattle's games when they drafted him. Nowadays I identify myself more of a fan the Thunder than Kevin Durant.

Rose'sACL
10-27-2013, 04:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, i guess what I wanted to ask was how to really associate myself with a team?
Don't do that. Pick a team based on players and the coach/front office. If you like them then support them. They don't have to be the best but they should be players you players you like and they should be giving their 100% to win. People who support a team based on where they were born don't understand nba.
Supporting your college and country's team is different from supporting an NBA team as NBA teams are privately owned. They just have a city's name to get more money from fans.

livingby3's
10-27-2013, 04:48 AM
I think it just comes natural. People support different teams for various reasons.
Some like winners/top dogs. Some like underdogs. Some are player fans. Some for the teams' style/structure. One can be a learner of the game and just watch the NBA as a whole, just pure watching basketball and enjoying the sport. Over time It will come naturally when the passion for a team grows.

tomtucker
10-27-2013, 04:52 AM
obviously nba fans that don't have a home team will have to pick a player or players they like to root for.......then if a asshole of a player join "your" team is it then easy to not like the team anymore ?

BlackWhiteGreen
10-27-2013, 05:09 AM
obviously nba fans that don't have a home team will have to pick a player or players they like to root for.......then if a asshole of a player join "your" team is it then easy to not like the team anymore ?

It depends on who else was left - in terms of players I really dislike, only Wade would really make me think "do I really want to root for this guy?". But if I still liked the other players and the front office I'd stick with them.

I was in a similar situation with my football team in 2009 - we signed a player who had been sent down for causing death by dangerous driving. But they're my hometown team and I wouldn't stop supporting them for any reason, so it's not the same... it also helped he scored 33 goals and sent us up :oldlol: