PDA

View Full Version : Any Macbook owners?

D-Rose
10-26-2013, 04:44 PM
Just ordered a MBA. Damn excited. Less than 3 pounds and 12 hours of battery life. Got some great accessories too.

Any other Mac Owners? Tips to a Mac newbie? Apps/browsers/etc?

DukeDelonte13
10-26-2013, 04:54 PM
i currently have a MBA. Absolutely love it. I'll probably get another MBA for my next computer. OSX is great. Battery life is great. I've put mine through a lot of abuse; i'm constantly on the go with it and its been dropped a few times. Still works perfectly.

I use chrome as my main browser and open office as my word processor.

reppy
10-26-2013, 04:55 PM
I just got the new 27" Mac with the Haswell i5 processor. It was bought for me by my work.

Prior to that, I had very, very limited Mac knowledge.

- Install a Windows 7 bootcamp. Then download something like Paralells (I think you get 2 weeks free to try it out -- and you can always find deals on it), and virtualize your bootcamp install. The way I have mine set up, I can swipe my Magic Mouse left or right and switch between Mac OS X, Windows 7, or Windows XP instantly. Obviously this takes a lot of resources, but I need all of them running for work.

When I want to boot straight into Windows, I can restart my Mac and hold down the option key. Then it gives me an option of which OS to boot. I really only use this if I want to play some Steam games or something.

- If you need to remotely access Windows machines using remote desktop connection, don't use the Microsoft app. It sucks and crashes a lot. Use CoRD.

- Learn a few key shortcuts. Do a google search for Mac OS X shortcuts. There's a good article on the For Dummies site.

- If you want to run programs you download from sites BESIDES the App Store, you'll need to go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and modify your "Allow apps downloaded from" settings.

- I personally hate that the F keys default to system controls, i.e. volume control. You can modify this by going to System Preferences -> Keyboard.

- I also didn't care for the fact that scroll bars are hidden by default in the OS. Again, System Preferences -> General and you can modify scroll bar settings.

- If you have a Magic Mouse, I recommend downloading Magic Prefs and playing with some of the settings in there. It gives you much finer grain control over its behavior. But be warned: it gives you A LOT of power. Use it sparingly at first until you get the hang of things.

- My favorite picture viewer is XnView and my 2nd favorite video player is VLC, both of which have Mac OS X versions.

- If you have an iPhone, you can set up Messages so you can send/receive text messages from other iPhone users.

Knowing what you plan to use your Mac for will also make a big difference in the type of advice you receive. I'm coming at this from a developer's perspective. That might not be appropriate for you.

OldSkoolball#52
10-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Do you have any idea how much the CEO of Apple makes??

If you did man, youd throw that thing right in the trash.

#ProgressivePower

OldSkoolball#52
10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
I just got the new 27" Mac with the Haswell i5 processor. It was bought for me by my work.

Prior to that, I had very, very limited Mac knowledge.

- Install a Windows 7 bootcamp. Then download something like Paralells (I think you get 2 weeks free to try it out -- and you can always find deals on it), and virtualize your bootcamp install. The way I have mine set up, I can swipe my Magic Mouse left or right and switch between Mac OS X, Windows 7, or Windows XP instantly. Obviously this takes a lot of resources, but I need all of them running for work.

When I want to boot straight into Windows, I can restart my Mac and hold down the option key. Then it gives me an option of which OS to boot. I really only use this if I want to play some Steam games or something.

- If you need to remotely access Windows machines using remote desktop connection, don't use the Microsoft app. It sucks and crashes a lot. Use CoRD.

- Learn a few key shortcuts. Do a google search for Mac OS X shortcuts. There's a good article on the For Dummies site.

- If you want to run programs you download from sites BESIDES the App Store, you'll need to go to System Preferences -> Security & Privacy and modify your "Allow apps downloaded from" settings.

- I personally hate that the F keys default to system controls, i.e. volume control. You can modify this by going to System Preferences -> Keyboard.

- I also didn't care for the fact that scroll bars are hidden by default in the OS. Again, System Preferences -> General and you can modify scroll bar settings.

- If you have a Magic Mouse, I recommend downloading Magic Prefs and playing with some of the settings in there. It gives you much finer grain control over its behavior. But be warned: it gives you A LOT of power. Use it sparingly at first until you get the hang of things.

- My favorite picture viewer is XnView and my 2nd favorite video player is VLC, both of which have Mac OS X versions.

- If you have an iPhone, you can set up Messages so you can send/receive text messages from other iPhone users.

That's honestly all that comes to mind.

Here we have a Little Eichman.

Blames the corporations. Contributes to their wealth.

OldSkoolball#52
10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Eichmann was a nazi, and Eichmann exterminated humans.

Yeah, well... At least he wasnt Hitler

Eichmann just worked for him. Eichmann was lied to. Eichmann was made by the media to believe he didnt have a choice. Eichmann, when he was marching Jews to their death, really wasnt that bad. It was Hitler who was the bad guy. Eichmann was just caught up in the system, it wasnt his fault.

Right lil Eichmann?

D-Rose
10-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Do you have any idea how much the CEO of Apple makes??

If you did man, youd throw that thing right in the trash.

#ProgressivePower
Please **** off.

Thanks for the input to the others! Any good/free apps or processors for note taking in college? I've heard and seen good things about Evernote.

reppy
10-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Here we have a Little Eichman.

Blames the corporations. Contributes to their wealth.

I've actually never purchased an Apple product with my own money. Well, I paid $20 once for an old laptop, but that was because a girl I didn't like gave it to me and I felt bad because I knew I was never going to talk to her again. :lol

tl;dr You don't know me, so eat a dirty dick.

reppy
10-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Please **** off.

Thanks for the input to the others! Any good/free apps or processors for note taking in college? I've heard and seen good things about Evernote.

I think you may be eligible for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for free from Apple. They're Apple's answer to Microsoft Office. Look into that.

BRabbiT
10-26-2013, 05:07 PM
bought my macbook 3 years ago.

very happy w/it.

OldSkoolball#52
10-26-2013, 05:11 PM
I've actually never purchased an Apple product with my own money. Well, I paid $20 once for an old laptop, but that was because a girl I didn't like gave it to me and I felt bad because I knew I was never going to talk to her again. :lol

tl;dr You don't know me, so eat a dirty dick.

Im not blaming you lil Eichmann, Im defending you.

You are the good guy. You want to change the system that rewards all those stupid CEOs with too much money.

Just because you use their products doesnt make you a hypocrite, lil Eichmann. Thats not what im saying, lil Eichmann.

Youre really smart and progressive, and totally not a hypocrite. Keep clinging to your faith in that belief, lil Eichmann. Be strong, lil Eichmann.

Rose
10-26-2013, 05:18 PM
I think you may be eligible for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote for free from Apple. They're Apple's answer to Microsoft Office. Look into that.
This.

Although, if you're a power user their previous iterations (09) are better. Although Numbers got a **** ton easier to use.

And when you upgrade to Mavericks, the battery lasts longer. It's fantastic. Also I'm an Evernote user it's pretty solid, not great. But it'll get the job done.

D-Rose
10-26-2013, 05:52 PM
This.

Although, if you're a power user their previous iterations (09) are better. Although Numbers got a **** ton easier to use.

And when you upgrade to Mavericks, the battery lasts longer. It's fantastic. Also I'm an Evernote user it's pretty solid, not great. But it'll get the job done.
Thanks for the input!

Now, does Evernote let you sketch diagrams or drawings? Kind of like how on Khan Academy they draw out the diagrams and explain the material.

Rose
10-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the input!

Now, does Evernote let you sketch diagrams or drawings? Kind of like how on Khan Academy they draw out the diagrams and explain the material.
Skitch (http://evernote.com/skitch/) got bought by Evernote recently.

edit: forgot no iPad, so paper is out unless it got ported. But for drawings Skitch would probably be your best bet.

OldSkoolball#52
10-26-2013, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the input!

Bro you know that by consuming these products you are increasing the stock value of their parent companies and allowing horrible wall street goblins to make a lot of money trading and stuff.

Im not sayin youre a lil eichmann hypocrite just cavalierly using Mac products when their manufactoring workers in Asia get treated like shit.

Im just saying. Steve Jobs, and his successor, Tim Cook, were/are a little rich for our taste and we know how evil that is dont we? But its NOT our faults. Same as how Hitler exterminated six million people on his own, without help.

Right lil Eichmann?

reppy
10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Im not blaming you lil Eichmann, Im defending you.

You are the good guy. You want to change the system that rewards all those stupid CEOs with too much money.

Just because you use their products doesnt make you a hypocrite, lil Eichmann. Thats not what im saying, lil Eichmann.

Youre really smart and progressive, and totally not a hypocrite. Keep clinging to your faith in that belief, lil Eichmann. Be strong, lil Eichmann.

I suggest you take your caricature of me and cram it directly up your underside. It is not valid. It is based on your ignorant preconceived notions.

Stop viewing the world in such black and white terms.

You know nothing about the full spectrum of my political views and you have no idea of my voting history.

I will not engage you any further on this topic. This is not the purpose of this thread and it is not my intention to derail it.

OldSkoolball#52
10-26-2013, 06:45 PM
I suggest you take your caricature of me and cram it directly up your underside. It is not valid. It is based on your ignorant preconceived notions.

Stop viewing the world in such black and white terms.

You know nothing about the full spectrum of my political views and you have no idea of my voting history.

I will not engage you any further on this topic. This is not the purpose of this thread and it is not my intention to derail it.

I once heard Adolf Eichmann make that exact same remark.

Bcogswell
10-26-2013, 06:57 PM
I've had my Macbook Pro since 2011 and absolutely love it.

The_Yearning
10-27-2013, 02:03 AM
MBA 13" user here.

#Elite.

Welcome to the club brah.

OldSkoolball#52
10-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Awww look at all these cute Little Eichmanns

fiddy
10-27-2013, 10:58 AM

Im curios how much did you overpay for it.

DukeDelonte13
10-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Im curios how much did you overpay for it.

premium price for a premium product.

fiddy
10-27-2013, 11:49 AM
premium price for a premium product.
The only premium thing about it is its price.

OldSkoolball#52
10-27-2013, 12:11 PM
The only premium thing about it is its price.

DukeDelonte is a guy that insisted he needed tax payers people to foot the cost of his healthcare for him through Obama's program, meanwhile hes payin top of the line prices for top shelf luxury!

How incredibly progressive and intellectual! Morally advanced and superior indeed. #LiberalPower!

D-Rose
10-27-2013, 12:17 PM
MBA 13" user here.

#Elite.

Welcome to the club brah.
:cheers: :banana: :dancin :hammertime:

I<3NBA
10-27-2013, 12:24 PM
idk if it's just me being too used to windows, but i have a hard time using macs.

D-Rose
10-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I just discovered the scribble tool on Google Drive. **** YEAH

Ikill
11-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I just spilled water on my Macbook pro i dried it off and its still working but it starting making a strange noise so i shut it off.

dannywpt
11-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Macbook Air 13' here too. Bought it about a month ago. I'm starting to get used to OS X now.

Generally I recommend Chrome, VLC, Dropbox, Libre Office and Plex (to stream media)

Specific for OS X I also use SmoothMouse and Alfred 2.

I would recommend learning all the swipe gestures for the trackpad, can be very useful for productivity.

Burgz V2
11-03-2013, 12:44 AM
I have a macbook. 3 years now. just installed windows 7 via bootcamp. great decision, especially if you have an external HD to save everything to

andgar923
11-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I suppose I

Burgz V2
11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=andgar923]I suppose I

andgar923
11-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Awesome, thanks man!

I just bootcamped my Mac but I find the accessibility of a Mac much more conducive to my work life/habits. Currently installing all these apps.

Drag and drop is superior than Windows from the last Windows version (haven’t used 8 extensively however).

OS X’s apps for the most part can all be used in unison as they work with each other seamlessly, dragging and dropping sharing files is really easy. Previewing a file with quicklook makes things a breeze, and of course expose and launch center lets you see all of your workspaces.

Speaking of workspaces, it’s the best way to be organized. It creates a great workflow environment by reducing clutter and making it easy to switch back and forth.

The finder has been fixed so tags and and window tabs make it more functional.

There are other apps and tricks that make one’s workflow and use in general more fluid. Shortcuts are customizable and with Mavericks you can create phrases that are added. For instance, if you hate to input your address all you need to do is create shortcut key commands so instead of inputing your entire address all you need to do is type “hh” (just an example).

There’s also actions that you can create templates for with ‘Automator'. If there’s certain tasks that you tend to repeat a workflow template can be created to make it easier for you.

I’m just scratching the surface, let me know if you have any questions.

Burgz V2
11-07-2013, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=andgar923]Drag and drop is superior than Windows from the last Windows version (haven

andgar923
11-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Haven't updated to Mountain Lion, still on Lion just too used to it. I'm on a MacBook pro late 2011 version, would upgrading to Maverick slow my system down? Tags and tags in finder are such a simple improvement but for that alone I will upgrade. Also the functionality (shortcuts for instance like you mentioned) seems to be much improved, more gestures which I love.

Also, I back up my drive almost every day. If i upgrade will it wipe my HD clean? Not a big issue, but to get my stuff back would I use Time Machine to put it all back once Maverick is installed?

Your Macbook does support Mavericks, it

andgar923
11-19-2013, 12:49 PM
A new site for app recommendations for both iOS and OS X:
http://thesweetsetup.com

I also recommend one app that will transform the way you browse Safari, this is a MUST!!!

Nextab http://nextab.chicheng.me/

Extremely useful app to use Safari, you'll wonder why you didn't install it sooner. It's multi touch gestures that allow you to do things such as reload an app, open new tab, close current tab, switch between tabs all in one simple and very precise motion... must must get.

Burgz V2
11-19-2013, 01:00 PM
A new site for app recommendations for both iOS and OS X:
http://thesweetsetup.com

I also recommend one app that will transform the way you browse Safari, this is a MUST!!!

Nextab http://nextab.chicheng.me/

Extremely useful app to use Safari, you'll wonder why you didn't install it sooner. It's multi touch gestures that allow you to do things such as reload an app, open new tab, close current tab, switch between tabs all in one simple and very precise motion... must must get.

andgar you use safari? thought chrome was better? i find safari kinda sluggish

do you use a MacBook or an iMac?

DukeDelonte13
11-19-2013, 01:14 PM

i think chrome is bit quicker than safari but i haven't used safari in well over a year now.

Grinder
11-19-2013, 01:18 PM
I recently got a high end Windows laptop for some things I need to do with work and it only made me appreciate my Macbook more. From the size and functionality touchpad, the uninstall/install methods, the placement of certain keys, the display...everything just flows/fits so much better.

Made the switch to Mac 4.5 years ago and don't intend on switching back.

andgar923
11-19-2013, 01:46 PM

I used to use Chrome, then I switched to Sleipnir but I always kept using Safari on a partial basis. Safari was a mess a few versions ago, rarely opened it but it started to improve. I liked Chrome's speed and plugin options (although I only had 2) but I fell in love with Sleipnir's multi touch gestures, really changed the way I browsed the net. As I mentioned, I always had Safari open on a part time basis because it was 'smooth' as hell. Aside from flash it started to become good again.

I installed Mavericks and Nextab and it was over..... Safari became my main/default browser.

There's enough extensions for Safari (if you need them... I only have 3 installed) but the new Safari is fast, smooth, doesn't crash or give me issues with the auto loading (like in past versions), but combined with the extra extensions and nextab I don't see myself going back to anything else.

it syncs my bookmarks with my iPhone better than before, it uses less RAM, it plays HTML5 files like butter, but it conserves my battery more efficiently than the other browsers do (when not plugged in). It's also perhaps the most elegant behind Sleipnir (close 2nd). And when you're staring at it for hours a day, it tends to matter (at least for me).

andgar923
11-19-2013, 01:51 PM
i think chrome is bit quicker than safari but i haven't used safari in well over a year now.

give it another shot, the new Safari for Mavericks is blazing fast. Noticeably faster than any other browser.

andgar923
11-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I recently got a high end Windows laptop for some things I need to do with work and it only made me appreciate my Macbook more. From the size and functionality touchpad, the uninstall/install methods, the placement of certain keys, the display...everything just flows/fits so much better.

Made the switch to Mac 4.5 years ago and don't intend on switching back.

Because that's how it was designed, something OEM and WinOS isn't.

Rose
11-19-2013, 10:25 PM
I used to use Chrome, then I switched to Sleipnir but I always kept using Safari on a partial basis. Safari was a mess a few versions ago, rarely opened it but it started to improve. I liked Chrome's speed and plugin options (although I only had 2) but I fell in love with Sleipnir's multi touch gestures, really changed the way I browsed the net. As I mentioned, I always had Safari open on a part time basis because it was 'smooth' as hell. Aside from flash it started to become good again.

I installed Mavericks and Nextab and it was over..... Safari became my main/default browser.

There's enough extensions for Safari (if you need them... I only have 3 installed) but the new Safari is fast, smooth, doesn't crash or give me issues with the auto loading (like in past versions), but combined with the extra extensions and nextab I don't see myself going back to anything else.

it syncs my bookmarks with my iPhone better than before, it uses less RAM, it plays HTML5 files like butter, but it conserves my battery more efficiently than the other browsers do (when not plugged in). It's also perhaps the most elegant behind Sleipnir (close 2nd). And when you're staring at it for hours a day, it tends to matter (at least for me).
I'm curious as to why you chose Sleipnir over Opera. I find Opera to be the best Mac browser. Safari is alright (finally), but Sleipnir doesn't have a lot of things I need or didn't 6-8 months ago.

andgar923
11-19-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm curious as to why you chose Sleipnir over Opera. I find Opera to be the best Mac browser. Safari is alright (finally), but Sleipnir doesn't have a lot of things I need or didn't 6-8 months ago.

Once I started to use the multi touch gestures it was over. You can also group tabs into different categories if you want to keep things organized. I also like that you get sort of an RSS update when you open up a tab.

I haven't tried Opera in years, I may go check it out tho.

andgar923
11-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Just checked out Opera, no multi touch gestures, although it does have some nice features.

Rose
11-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Just checked out Opera, no multi touch gestures, although it does have some nice features.
Ah, I've never been a huge fan of multitouch aside from swiping left to go back a page, and right to go forward. That could explain things I guess.:oldlol:

andgar923
11-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Ah, I've never been a huge fan of multitouch aside from swiping left to go back a page, and right to go forward. That could explain things I guess.:oldlol:

Love multi touch, couldn't use a computer without it. Makes things more fluid and seamless.

To go back a back swipe left, to go forward (or in this case back again) swipe right.

On Sleipnir- to go to your right tab, swipe right... to access your left tab, swipe left.

Smooth and seamless.

Add NexTab and it becomes more seamless and smooth.... some rad shit.