PDA

View Full Version : CP3 = One of the best PG's in league history

Young X
10-28-2013, 06:31 PM
He has the total package:

- Historically efficient and productive player. One of the best playmakers you'll ever see while also being an efficient 18-22 ppg scorer. Extremely skilled.

- Solid defense/rebounding for a PG. High BBall IQ, clutch, consistently takes over games in the 4th quarter, gamewinners, etc.

- Annual top 5 MVP candidate, nearly won MVP over prime Kobe. Think about that....

- The impact he's had on his teams/franchises is impressive to me. He's now played a major part in turning around two of the worst franchises in basketball. In a combined 73 years, the Hornets and Clippers 3 best seasons were with CP.

The main criticism against him is his lack of team success in the playoffs, but it doesn't make sense to use that against him when:

- He averages 21/9.5/5/2 on 57 TS% in the playoffs. He's played BETTER in the playoffs than the regular season (so far).

- He's hasn't yet played with the reliable supporting cast his pears have. David West and Blake Griffin are great, but that's not enough to beat 55 win/defending champs every year in the West, especially when they've underperformed because of injuries.

He has his flaws just like any other player, but how many PG's have had a better combination of offense, defense, rebounding, and efficiency than CP?

TheReal Kendall
10-28-2013, 06:35 PM
Meh

He's alright.

I don't really care for him and I feel like he's overrated.

There's like 3 or 5 PGs I would take over him right now in this league and probably 20 or more I would take over him in the history of NBA

TheMarkMadsen
10-28-2013, 06:38 PM
He has the total package:

- Historically efficient and productive player. One of the best playmakers you'll ever see while also being an efficient 18-22 ppg scorer. Extremely skilled.

- Solid defense/rebounding for a PG. High BBall IQ, clutch, consistently takes over games in the 4th quarter, gamewinners, etc.

- Annual top 5 MVP candidate, nearly won MVP over prime Kobe. Think about that....

- The impact he's had on his teams/franchises is impressive to me. He's now played a major part in turning around two of the worst franchises in basketball. In a combined 73 years, the Hornets and Clippers 3 best seasons were with CP.

The main criticism against him is his lack of team success in the playoffs, but it doesn't make sense to use that against him when:

- He averages 21/9.5/5/2 on 57 TS% in the playoffs. He's played BETTER in the playoffs than the regular season (so far).

- He's hasn't yet played with the reliable supporting cast his pears have. David West and Blake Griffin are great, but that's not enough to beat 55 win/defending champs every year in the West, especially when they've underperformed because of injuries.

He has his flaws just like any other player, but how many PG's have had a better combination of offense, defense, rebounding, and efficiency than CP?

Cp3 is getting into that Peyton Manning/ Lebron James territory, we get that he's a great player but his greatness needs to be validated with a championship if you're going to put him on a pedestal and claim he's a GOAT.

His team last year was more than loaded, a truly elite player/ GOAT in their prime should be expected to do more with that team than he did last year.

If he doesn't at least make the WCF this year than he's no better at his position currently than Melo is at his.

Enough excuses, you've got the best 6th man in the game, an ALL NBA big man, and a bunch of other talent. Time to get it done

Jameerthefear
10-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Meh

He's alright.

I don't really care for him and I feel like he's overrated.

There's like 3 or 5 PGs I would take over him right now in this league and probably 20 or more I would take over him in the history of NBA
there are 3-5 PGs you'd take over CP3? lol

Legends66NBA7
10-28-2013, 06:42 PM
If he would in an MVP, Finals MVP, and top playoff production to his title(s) after his careers is over, I don't see how you can keep him out of the Top 3.

TheReal Kendall
10-28-2013, 06:43 PM
there are 3-5 PGs you'd take over CP3? lol

Yup!

Definitely wouldn't take Jameer Nelson over CP3

Jameerthefear
10-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Yup!

Definitely wouldn't take Jameer Nelson over CP3
name 'em, there is literally only one pg who has a case over CP3 and that's D-Rose. and at least jameer nelson has been to the finals. :D

TheReal Kendall
10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
name 'em, there is literally only one pg who has a case over CP3 and that's D-Rose. and at least jameer nelson has been to the finals. :D

:lol

TP
Rose
Rondo
Westbrook
Curry

But that's just my opinion obviously

Cp3 hasn't should me anything lately.

Do you want me to list the old school guys too?

QuebecBaller
10-28-2013, 07:00 PM
http://search-faster.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/the-floppies-most-ridiculous-flops-of-nba-season.jpg

SamuraiSWISH
10-28-2013, 07:19 PM
:durantunimpressed:

Name them ...

Nero Tulip
10-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I think he's been unlucky. If he was playing in the East, he would've probably made an NBA finals already.

That being said, I'm not sure where he fits all-time. He's good at everything, but he just doesn't have anything that sets him apart.

Magic
Stockton
Robertson
Kidd
Nash
Parker

Are all unarguably better. And I left some of the older ones that I don't know well enough, like Cousy. Leaving Rose out too because we need to see him play more.

outbreak
10-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Rose and Westbrook are the only point guards I'd even consider over Chris Paul for a win now team and that would depend on the team make up of if you need a scoring option or a better play maker (not that cp3 can't score as well), for a future outlook team I'd have to consider Kyrie too though.

But yeah he's unlucky he played with poor teams for so long but he deserves respect for his loyalty back then.

SamuraiSWISH
10-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Nash
Parker

Are all unarguably better.
:facepalm

HiphopRelated
10-28-2013, 07:44 PM
I think he's been unlucky. If he was playing in the East, he would've probably made an NBA finals already.

That being said, I'm not sure where he fits all-time. He's good at everything, but he just doesn't have anything that sets him apart.

Magic
Stockton
Robertson
Kidd
Nash
Parker

Are all unarguably better. And I left some of the older ones that I don't know well enough, like Cousy. Leaving Rose out too because we need to see him play more.

Not true at all...This dude lost by 60 in the playoffs. He is on a "conteneder" the last 2 years and leads them to a 1st round exit and swept out the 2nd...

The numbers start to look empty after a while.

longtime lurker
10-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Magic
Stockton
Robertson
Kidd
Nash
Parker

You forgot Isiah Thomas and Payton up there too.

RoundMoundOfReb
10-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Magic
Stockton
Robertson
Kidd
Nash
Parker

Tony Parker is not "unarguably better" than Chris Paul. In fact a past-prime Chris Paul was better than a peak Tony Parker just this past season.

Legends66NBA7
10-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Tony Parker is not "unarguably better" than Chris Paul. In fact a past-prime Chris Paul was better than a peak Tony Parker just this past season.

Paul is past his prime ?

RoundMoundOfReb
10-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Paul is past his prime ?

Yes. Past-peak would be a better way of putting it though.

Legends66NBA7
10-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Yes. Past-peak would be a better way of putting it though.

Yeah, I agree with saying past peak.

joeyjoejoe
10-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Don't like Parker over paul all-time but anyway if he makes cf or finals that will shut the haters up, Nash only made as far as cf and he's an all-time great pg. Team success is just that but haters like to use it against players

OldSkoolball#52
10-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Cp3 is getting into that Peyton Manning/ Lebron James territory, we get that he's a great player but his greatness needs to be validated with a championship if you're going to put him on a pedestal and claim he's a GOAT.

His team last year was more than loaded, a truly elite player/ GOAT in their prime should be expected to do more with that team than he did last year.

If he doesn't at least make the WCF this year than he's no better at his position currently than Melo is at his.

Enough excuses, you've got the best 6th man in the game, an ALL NBA big man, and a bunch of other talent. Time to get it done

You only say this because you hear Tony Kornheiser and ESPNs whole fleet of idiots bleet it over and over every day.

Its simply not true.

If every team in the league had an exact replica of Lebron James, most of those replicas would retire ringless, because not all of them would get to play on great, championship level teams. Even tho they would be LITERALLY the exact same player.

The "rings" argument in a team sport is simply, and ONLY used by simpletons who can not articulate a comparative analysis between basketball players based in impact, and are the kind of dummies who need "buzz words." You know, things like "rings, killer instinct, closer, "will to win", assassin, "put them on his back" and so forth. Cliches that people who cant talk basketball must rely on in order to participate in a conversation.

Young X
10-28-2013, 09:37 PM
You only say this because you hear Tony Kornheiser and ESPNs whole fleet of idiots bleet it over and over every day.

Its simply not true.

If every team in the league had an exact replica of Lebron James, most of those replicas would retire ringless, because not all of them would get to play on great, championship level teams. Even tho they would be LITERALLY the exact same player.

The "rings" argument in a team sport is simply, and ONLY used by simpletons who can not articulate a comparative analysis between basketball players based in impact, and are the kind of dummies who need "buzz words." You know, things like "rings, killer instinct, closer, "will to win", assassin, "put them on his back" and so forth. Cliches that people who cant talk basketball must rely on in order to participate in a conversation.Finally someone gets it. :applause:

Some players are put in better positions to win than others. That's not an excuse, that's REALITY. If CP played for the Celtics or Lakers instead of the Clippers and Hornets would that suddenly make him a better player? No.

I could understand the criticism if he played bad in the playoffs (Melo), but that's not the case, he's played BETTER in the playoffs than the regular season.

56 win Spurs - defending champs
54 win Nuggets
58 win Lakers - defending champs
62 win Spurs
56 win Grizzlies

^ How are you supposed to advance past those teams when your 2nd options are David West, injured Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, Carl Landry?

OldSkoolball#52
10-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Finally someone gets it. :applause:

Some players are put in better positions to win than others. That's not an excuse, that's REALITY. If CP played for the Celtics or Lakers instead of the Clippers and Hornets would that suddenly make him a better player? No.

I could understand the criticism if he played bad in the playoffs (Melo), but that's not the case, he's played BETTER in the playoffs than the regular season.

56 win Spurs - defending champs
54 win Nuggets
58 win Lakers - defending champs
62 win Spurs
56 win Grizzlies

^ How are you supposed to advance past those teams when your 2nd options are David West, injured Blake Griffin, Eric Bledsoe, Carl Landry?

Exactly right.

Guys like Manning and Melo had a history of underperforming in the playoffs. Thats why championships did/would improve their crediblity, because it means they didnt PERSONALLY choke (most likely, altho sometimes a guy can have a 6/24 clunker and still be carried to a win).

Does anyone have Eli Manning ahead of Jim Kelly and Dan Marino? But but but but he has more ringz!!!

But the problem is that teams who win titles become very popular in the mainstream, and their star player develops a huge stanbase, and those stans lean on "rings" to specifically prop up their guy.

Proles will always be proles. Its the law of the land.

NumberSix
10-28-2013, 10:51 PM
What exactly has Cris Paul ever really done to warrant the extreme amount of credit he receives. At this years ASG, his uniform will look like Melos did last year.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but people are going overboard.

OldSkoolball#52
10-28-2013, 10:57 PM
What exactly has Cris Paul ever really done to warrant the extreme amount of credit he receives. At this years ASG, his uniform will look like Melos did last year.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but people are going overboard.

Hes performed as well as anyone in the playoffs and has been one of the most consistent late-game/clutch players in the game.

What else can he do??? Hes played for New Orleans and LAC. Two of the wojst organizations in sports. None of the teams hes played on would have won titles with Lebron James on them instead of Paul. Seriously. All he can do is play his best, and it always results in stud playoff performances. Seriously, what else can HE do???

Michael Jordan didnt win in his first seven years. What if they never get Pippen? Is Michael no good?

You have to look at how guys perform, not compare players by comparing teams.

I dont even like the guy, I think hes a prick. Im just stickin up for the truth.

tpols
10-29-2013, 02:54 AM
top 10 for sure.. his casts are generally underrated a bit though especially in the years he managed to make the second round.

In 08 hes playing with a 21/9 David West, 12/12 2 bpg Tyson Chandler, a 16 ppg 45% 3 pt shooter in Peja.. plus a bunch of defensive role players.

Im sorry but David West has proven himself over the years to be a very good all star quality big man who plays straight winning basketball.. and he was in his prime back in 08 pre acl tear. Tyson Chandler has always been a beast defensively and on the glass.. and he too proved to be an extremely valuable championship piece just a few years later when he averaged pretty much the exact same stats he did w/ the mavs as he did with the hornets.

Youre telling me peak CP3 cant get it done with one of the best pure shooters of all time, and a stacked frontcourt of West/Chandler.. but past prime Dirk can not only get past the second round(where he too was favored to lose)but win the whole gdamn championship with Jason fvcking Terry, a bunch of defensive role players and pretty much the same Tyson?

Sorry.. and now he has one of the most talented squads in the league.. if dude is a first and second round exit his whole career theres no excuses.. he can never be considered better than guys who made way more noise deep.

joeyjoejoe
10-29-2013, 03:12 AM
In 08 peja was past his peak and yea I think they were a decent team I agree but not a great team, they were 1 win away from conf finals against the defending champs and a hell of a team in the spurs who had Duncan, Parker, manu who had a 20 5 5 season plus a pop also cp was huge in both series in 08

plowking
10-29-2013, 03:49 AM
The more I watch of him, the more I think he is overrated. I'd take Westbrook and Rose over him on my team without thinking twice. They simply impact the game more and make the defense adjust more.

Hes a great PG, but today's game is full of them, and he simply isn't a good enough athlete IMO to be as good as the best PG's in the game; Westbrook and Rose.

East_Stone_Ya
10-29-2013, 04:07 AM
how about letting him finish his career first huh?

wally_world
10-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Im a fan of his game, but he wont win shit with this Clippers team

Frozen1
10-29-2013, 06:59 AM
CP3 = One of the most overrated PG in league history.

C'mon, this guy was a better player 5 years ago than he is right now, but yet people say he is a top 3 player in the nba.

It's two things, or he is really overrated or the top talent level in the nba is too low.

Years ago he was a beast, much better than now, but yet lebron, kobe and wade were clearly superior than him.

Wally450
10-29-2013, 10:30 AM
I always hear that CP3 is the best point guard in the league at the beginning of the year and after his team loses in the playoffs, everyone is like "Ohh he's overrated, he's not even a top 10 PG."

Pick one people.

HiphopRelated
10-29-2013, 10:46 AM
I always hear that CP3 is the best point guard in the league at the beginning of the year and after his team loses in the playoffs, everyone is like "Ohh he's overrated, he's not even a top 10 PG."

Pick one people.
end of the year is more important

All Net
10-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Wouldn't shock me if he does win MVP this year.

Young X
10-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Quoting KBlaze from another thread.
There isnt a single pointguard who puts up 19ppg for his career has been retired 5 years and isnt in the HOF. And hes at 9.8 assists...3rd all time behind Magic and Stockton. You know there are HOF points who average HALF of 9.8 for their careers?

There is a long list of HOF points who never did what Paul has as their teams leader. Just so happens a lot of them landed on teams they could get a career boost from by being in someones supporting cast. Tiny with Bird, Pistol Pete never winning a series till the Celtics, Lenny Wilkens having Pettit, Cousy never winning even with 2 other all NBA first teamers till Russell showed up, and on and on and on it goes. Not like Oscar robertson won anything before Kareem. He led 30 something win teams multiple times with other HOF players in their primes with him.

Point guards have traditionally been asked to support someone else not make a team great.

Of those asked to do it the only ones who won anything were guys like Magic who had all the talent in the world and were more than traditional points.

Chris Paul is a first ballot hall of famer and has to do nothing else to make that happen. Making the WCF wouldnt be an accomplishment anyone would remember or care about anyway.

Paul Westphal led a finals team and nobody even knows who that is unless they remember him coaching.

Nobody is gonna look backand praise Deron Williams for making a WCF when Baron outplayed him and Carlos Boozer beasted down low to get them there. He goes 1-11 for 2 points with 7 assists and 5 turnovers to knock out the Warriors and goes to the WCF. So hes made it past the second round....

Please.:applause:

Da KO King
10-29-2013, 08:01 PM
:cheers:

Its simply not true.

The "rings" argument in a team sport is simply, and ONLY used by simpletons who can not articulate a comparative analysis between basketball players based in impact, and are the kind of dummies who need "buzz words." You know, things like "rings, killer instinct, closer, "will to win", assassin, "put them on his back" and so forth. Cliches that people who cant talk basketball must rely on in order to participate in a conversation.

bizil
10-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Magic
Stockton
Robertson
Kidd
Nash
Parker

GOAT wise or career resume wise u r right. But in terms of peak value of whose the best player out of those guys u name, I would take CP3 over ALL of them except Magic, Big O, and maybe Kidd. I would take CP3 over Stock, Nash, and Parker in terms of who I feel is the better player.

cltcfn2924
10-30-2013, 03:34 AM
GOAT wise or career resume wise u r right. But in terms of peak value of whose the best player out of those guys u name, I would take CP3 over ALL of them except Magic, Big O, and maybe Kidd. I would take CP3 over Stock, Nash, and Parker in terms of who I feel is the better player.

You're entitled to your opinion, but then again you're insane and a child.

Ass Dan
10-30-2013, 03:48 AM
if you want a guy who will look good leading a team nowhere then he is your guy.

Our scrubs took a shit on his star laden team.

Lakeshow!

rodman91
10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Most overrated probably. He is overrated because of "true point guard" staff.

I would take prime Mark Price over this guy anyday.

TheReal Kendall
10-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Like I said Cp3 is mad overrated.

I would take Westbrook, Rose, Rondo and a few others over him.

Last night was an example of his overrated hype

He should've torched the Lakers

Young X
11-01-2013, 01:45 AM
42/15/6 stls. What PG is fukking with an aggressive CP?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Like I said Cp3 is mad overrated.

I would take Westbrook, Rose, Rondo and a few others over him.

Last night was an example of his overrated hype

He should've torched the Lakers
:roll:

Doranku
11-01-2013, 01:46 AM
42/15/6 stls. What PG is fukking with an aggressive CP?

None. The problem is an aggressive CP3 only comes around about 5 times a year.

Jacks3
11-01-2013, 01:46 AM
As good as anybody in basketball when he's being aggressive (except for that guy in Miami)

VIntageNOvel
11-01-2013, 02:33 AM
nah new orlean athletic pre-injury CP is far better than current flop king

bizil
11-01-2013, 02:33 AM
The game tonight goes to show why a guy like CP3 is the perfect PG in my book. A pass first PG who fufills those premium PG duties at the highest levels. But can ALSO dominate a game scoring the rock like the premier scorers should do. Just like Magic, Big O, Isiah, Tiny, etc. Rose, Parker, Curry and Westbrook are the most unstoppable PG's scoring the rock. A guy like Rondo does the premium pass first PG duties as good as anybody. But CP3 balances BOTH FACETS better than any PG today!

Young X
11-01-2013, 02:39 AM
The game tonight goes to show why a guy like CP3 is the perfect PG in my book. A pass first PG who fufills those premium PG duties at the highest levels. But can ALSO dominate a game scoring the rock like the premier scorers should do.Exactly.

Young X
05-06-2014, 12:14 AM
GawdP3 with 32/10 on 12-14 in only 27 minutes. Only 2 turnovers too. 8-9 from 3.

22/14 in game 7 against Golden State.

What a choker.

notatop29pg
05-06-2014, 12:19 AM
Outshot the goat 3pt shooter Curry in the 1st round. Now at 55% from 3 for the playoffs.

mikek85
05-06-2014, 01:01 AM
come on bro, it's been one game.

moe94
05-06-2014, 01:10 AM
come on bro, it's been one game.

Wait, you don't think CP3 is an all time great PG? :biggums: