PDA

View Full Version : The era of the NWO on WCW Nitro/Thunder? Most entertaining era in wrestling ever?

CavaliersFTW
10-29-2013, 12:30 AM
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/SHqBPw5HYDU/hqdefault.jpg

http://youtu.be/0keslql2jWk?t=3m24s

I'm talking about when the story of the NWO first unfolded and took fans by surprise, when every week some new chapter in the story unfolded about the "WCW takeover" and you couldn't wait to see what it was. Hogan even 'ran for president' lmfao. Was that the most entertaining era of wrestling ever? I was a kid when it was going on but I remember it all like it was yesterday, that NWO guitar theme would start rockin and Hollywood, Nash, or Scott Hall would strut out like they owned the place (unless Goldberg music started then they'd all scatter like rats) :oldlol:

Eventually it got repetative and the WCW ceased to exist but for a brief moment in time I couldn't think of anything more entertaining when that was going on. Everyone had an NWO shirt. I don't watch wrestling anymore but my dad watches it every week still, and I catch glimpses of it on tv when he's watching and it looks awful and boring to me now. Where as I can browse Youtube vids of the WCW/NWO era and still find the stories and characters amusing. What do you guys think, any closet wrestler fans out there who still watch today that would like to chime in? Am I just being nostalgic or was wrestling more entertaining back then? I also remember bits and pieces of the Rock era from WWF/E and thought all the plots and characters at that time weren't even close to as entertaining as the WCW/NWO era

JimmyMcAdocious
10-29-2013, 12:39 AM
People still watch wrestling? I feel like that's something you grow out of like using diapers or bisexuality. I stopped watching around the time the WWF became the WWE. I think I lost interest a little before that.

For those in their 20s+, how has it kept your interest? My realization of its over theatrical nature killed it for me, and I was maybe 10 years old at the time. I can't imagine watching wrestling now.

Peak wrestling for me was Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Whenever that was.

TheMarkMadsen
10-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Yeah. The NWO revolutionized professional wrestling. Once they hit WCW, Basg at the Beach until starcade 97.. Some of the best wrestling television ever.

WWF from around the time of WM14 all the to mid 2001 put on the most consistently entertaining television in wrestling history.

But yeah, the NWO was the original badass stable, they fcked shit up, and was doing things nobody had seen at the time (heels constantly winning, dominating, coming through the crowd, the original invasion) it was magical to be a fan at the time.

CavaliersFTW
10-29-2013, 12:42 AM
People still watch wrestling? I feel like that's something you grow out of like using diapers or bisexuality. I stopped watching around the time the WWF became the WWE. I think I lost interest a little before that.

For those in their 20s+, how has it kept your interest? My realization of its over theatrical nature killed it for me, and I was maybe 10 years old at the time. I can't imagine watching wrestling now.
I stopped watching sometime into the NWO / NWO wolfpack era (got repetative like I said and other things at the time were starting to interesting me like girls and... well girls) and the WWF didn't have anything that drew my attention either. Think I was about 12 or 13. Maybe age has something to do with it however, my dad still watches wrestling and the company I work for has many wrestling fans in it and I'm talking about people twice my age including the owner of the company, they had a wrestling themed company party a couple of years ago :lol

HarryCallahan
10-29-2013, 12:48 AM
I preferred the Austin 3:16 era, but after that, the NWO era is the best mainstream wrestling has ever been.

TheMarkMadsen
10-29-2013, 12:54 AM

Peak wrestling for me was Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels. Whenever that was.

I stopped watching for the longest time and recently picked it back up casually.

Its a television show with a huge nostalgic factor for me, the characters entertaining and there are still guys like CM Punk for the older crowd to get behind. Also, I'm a fan of sports, and the athleticism displayed is some of the best in the world. When pulled off effectively it can provide interesting characters, compelling story arches mixed in with extreme athleticism in a larger than life atmosphere. It's a spectacle in a sense..

Yeah we know its pre determined and we know how some of the moves work and shit but there's still the aspect of putting together an entertaining match that's i guess magical in a way. In the same way you know Chris Angel isn't really splitting people in half, it's still a cool effect and when done well there's the lingering "how the fck did he do that" sensation.

I compare watching a wrestling PPV to a huge batman fan going to see the dark knight. You're excited because you're compelled by the story, interested in the characters and are excited for the payoff. Sure, you know batman isn't real and that they knew all along the joker would lose, but the experience of watching great storytelling like that unfold, no matter what form of media, can be appreciated.

CavaliersFTW
10-29-2013, 01:03 AM
Holy shit I just checked the dates of some of the last things I remember from being an active wrestling fan and I was only 11-12 years old when I stopped watching :wtf: I thought I was a little bit older than that I remember the NWO era like it was yesterday, damn I feel old right now, that was 14 years ago, more years back than my age when I was watching it

JohnnySic
10-29-2013, 12:22 PM
WCW is 1997 was the best year for any promotion ever imo. Sting vs the nWo is possibly the best storyline ever (only Austin vs McMahon has an argument). They blew it at Starrcade '97 though.

East_Stone_Ya
10-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Yes, those were entertaining years :rockon:

the roots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfQ3IH-TWVI

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 02:22 PM
I was in my college days during those times.

You kids really don't know how great NWO and Monday night wars were.

CavaliersFTW
10-29-2013, 02:35 PM

You kids really don't know how great NWO and Monday night wars were.
You were born in 1994... you were 3 years old when the NWO era began.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 03:29 PM
You were born in 1994... you were 3 years old when the NWO era began.

Math is not his strong suit
First he says hes 19,now he says been watching
the NBA for 26 years,and if he was in College
back then,
Then that means hes a guy in his mid 30s spending all his time on a message board trolling which isnt even sad or pathetic,its beyond that.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 03:43 PM
WCW is 1997 was the best year for any promotion ever imo. Sting vs the nWo is possibly the best storyline ever (only Austin vs McMahon has an argument). They blew it at Starrcade '97 though.

WWF now WWE was better
Hart vs Michaels,The Montreal Screwjob,
Austin vs Michaels with Tyson,
DX,The Nation of Domination,
Triple H vs Rock matches,British Bulldog vs Hart,Michaels
The Birth of The Rattlesnake,SCSA

WCW was great in 97,98
but the NWO was like a virus,took over EVERYTHING
started off with 3 members then became over 60
had like 4 different versions of the group
(Original,Black&White,Wolfpac,Hollywood,Japan,Silver)

NWO had so many members they could have started their own company with the number of people they had.

3-5 okay,6-10 yeah
but 40-60 come on.

WCW was on a roll 97-98 and then sht hit the fan
Nash laying down for Hogan,NWO consuming everything,Breaking the 4th Wall Completely,Talking about scripts,doing the "job",bookers,"kayfabe",heels,faces,
Bret Hart coming in(one of the biggest stars then,and most talked about)
and completely being misused,Goldberg losing and then becoming irrelevant and
now what?,Having fn Robocop beat up stars,having a feud with Chucky the Killer Doll,and Most Importantly but Worst of ALL

making David Arquette compete in a tag match
and him Winning the WORLD Title by Pinning Eric Bischoff
then Arquette defending it in a triple cage
Ugh,ugh

WHY?Even Arquette didnt want to win it,saw what would happen.
Worst Decision EVER

Flash31
10-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah. The NWO revolutionized professional wrestling. Once they hit WCW, Basg at the Beach until starcade 97.. Some of the best wrestling television ever.

WWF from around the time of WM14 all the to mid 2001 put on the most consistently entertaining television in wrestling history.

But yeah, the NWO was the original badass stable, they fcked shit up, and was doing things nobody had seen at the time (heels constantly winning, dominating, coming through the crowd, the original invasion) it was magical to be a fan at the time.

Four Horsemen were that stable long before NWO and DX,Evolution,Shield

The og stable,Four Horsemen.

kNicKz
10-29-2013, 04:04 PM

:facepalm

TheMarkMadsen
10-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Four Horsemen were that stable long before NWO and DX,Evolution,Shield

The og stable,Four Horsemen.

Yeah but, they didn't set the wrestling world on fire like the NWO did, also they weren't 2 "outsiders" from the rival company to take down the one they were now in.

NWO had people believing some of tht stuff was real. I mean Razor Ramon randomly showing up on Nitro, nobody had any idea what was goin on, people actually called the cops on the NWO when they attacked rey mysterio :roll:

And who can forget Hogans transformation into a heel, the biggest name in wrestling at the time and of all time, it made one hell of an impact and instantly made Nitro edgy must see television.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Yeah but, they didn't set the wrestling world on fire like the NWO did, also they weren't 2 "outsiders" from the rival company to take down the one they were now in.

NWO had people believing some of tht stuff was real. I mean Razor Ramon randomly showing up on Nitro, nobody had any idea what was goin on, people actually called the cops on the NWO when they attacked rey mysterio :roll:

And who can forget Hogans transformation into a heel, the biggest name in wrestling at the time and of all time, it made one hell of an impact and instantly made Nitro edgy must see television.

Yeah they did,back in the 70s,early 80s

Four Horsemen were legendary
All over NWA and AWA,even early WCW-Jim Crockett Promotions
and WcW

come on
you had the 16 time Wooo World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair
Ole and Arn Anderson,Tully Blanchard,James Dillon

all those legendary battles with Dusty Rhodes,Harley Race,Steamboat,
Road Warriors,Greg Valentine,Magnum TA

They were the dominating,rebel,do whatever they wanted group before NWO and DX,Evolution was even an idea

The NWO were great,one of all time goat groups(the original),not what it became and they did set WCW and Nitro on fire
but they also burned both to the ground

NWO were all time great but
the 4 Horsemen were simply put Better

Flash31
10-29-2013, 04:35 PM
I see the NWO as 3rd GOAT faction

Four Horsemen
DX
NWO

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Most kids don't even know what good wrestling is.

They think John Cena is wrestling.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Most kids don't even know what good wrestling is.

They think John Cena is wrestling.

ergo

Most kids dont even know what good basketball is.
They think Kobe Bryant is Basketball.

Same principle applies.

Though then again,Kids dont look at stats in basketball,
in wrestling they dont look for Technical Ability,"workrate"
Its what enteratins them

Kobe,Rose,LeBron all have their faults all loved by kids
Cena,Hogan,The Rock werent exactly good "wrestlers" but they sure as hell were entertaining and are loved by kids

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 05:31 PM
ergo

Most kids dont even know what good basketball is.
They think Kobe Bryant is Basketball.

I think you mean Lebron fans. Kobe has been in the league for 18 years now. His fans are all grown up.

Same principle applies.

Though then again,Kids dont look at stats in basketball,
in wrestling they dont look for Technical Ability,"workrate"
Its what enteratins them

People like to look at championships as the main constitute in how good a wrestler is. Those that look at work rate and mic skills are the ones judging with the eye test. Kobe and Lebron has some pretty good stats but Kobe passing the eye test more so than Lebron.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 05:47 PM
I think you mean Lebron fans. Kobe has been in the league for 18 years now. His fans are all grown up.

People like to look at championships as the main constitute in how good a wrestler is. Those that look at work rate and mic skills are the ones judging with the eye test. Kobe and Lebron has some pretty good stats but Kobe passing the eye test more so than Lebron.

Well THE goat IS Shawn Michaels,only a 4 time WWE Champion

but you really cant compare Basketball to Wrestling.
Wrestling your success is determined by how many championships youve won,how long at the top you were,and how the Fans ultimately Perceive you,and memorable moments,matches.

With an actual sport,an eye test works sure somewhat,but Facts play a big part in determining whos better.
And KOBE Passing the eye test more than LeBron,NO.

bUT ONES A SPORT,
THE OTHER IS SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT.
One is legit competition,the other is putting on a show for the fans to the best of your ability and showcasing your skills.

In Basketball determining the GOAT,you can look at stats,winning,dominance,accomplishments.
In Wrestling not really,
it plays a huge part but overall its about perception and what youve done and how people see it and their opininons.

IN NBA,Jordan,Russell,Wilt,Kareem cases for goat
you cant really do that in wrestling.

Wrestling is more like ranking Boxers than NBA players.Popularity and what you see play a part thats why you have GOAT can be Ali,SRR,Tyson,Frazier,Marciano,Mayweather,Louis,De mpsey and can be argued for.

In wrestling its the same
Shawn Michaels,Ric Flair,Hulk Hogan,Stone Cold,Rock,Cena,Triple H,Harley Race,Sammartino,Backlund,Bret Hart and can make a case for GOAT for any.

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Well THE goat IS Shawn Michaels,only a 4 time WWE Champion

but you really cant compare Basketball to Wrestling.
Wrestling your success is determined by how many championships youve won,how long at the top you were,and how the Fans ultimately Perceive you,and memorable moments,matches.

With an actual sport,an eye test works sure somewhat,but Facts play a big part in determining whos better.
And KOBE Passing the eye test more than LeBron,NO.

bUT ONES A SPORT,
THE OTHER IS SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT.
One is legit competition,the other is putting on a show for the fans to the best of your ability and showcasing your skills.

In Basketball determining the GOAT,you can look at stats,winning,dominance,accomplishments.
In Wrestling not really,
it plays a huge part but overall its about perception and what youve done and how people see it and their opininons.

IN NBA,Jordan,Russell,Wilt,Kareem cases for goat
you cant really do that in wrestling.

Wrestling is more like ranking Boxers than NBA players.Popularity and what you see play a part thats why you have GOAT can be Ali,SRR,Tyson,Frazier,Marciano,Mayweather,Louis,De mpsey and can be argued for.

In wrestling its the same
Shawn Michaels,Ric Flair,Hulk Hogan,Stone Cold,Rock,Cena,Triple H,Harley Race,Sammartino,Backlund,Bret Hart and can make a case for GOAT for any.

I do agree that Shawn Michaels is the best.

Shawn was the total package. Although his best days were during his DX run, which were triggered my his real life personal issues. Not saying he couldn't be a great heel/face but his real life issues made him that great of a villain.

His work rate, ability to take bumps and story tell a match is 2nd to none. Probably the best ever and by a couple of tiers above the next guy. Bret Hart was a little too technical for my taste. Heck, Benoit was technical but he brought the intensity.

The Rock is actually very underrated as a technical wrestler. Unfortunately, his technical ability didn't not match his style as "The Rock."

I do love the NWO days but I think they got where they got by breaking the rules of wrestling. That 4th wall and stepping outside the boundaries of the wrestling industry.

Immortal Bum
10-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Horsemen were a great faction, but the first of its kind in a different way than the nWo or DX. For one, DX wasn't even the same type of faction as nWo, but much more like the Horsemen. the nWo was more like a gang than a wrestling faction. That was the big idea behind their supremacy, was that Eric Bishoff, the man in charge, was rolling with a damn gang of thugs, who were beyond wCw's control.

Horsemen, DX, Evolution, Revolution, Radicalz...these are the same basic type of faction; A Superstar, a tag team, and a star (the midcarder).

The nWo was an entirely new beast; it took how gangs were and made a wrestling faction with dudes who didn't just seek to dominate, but consume soldiers and territory, everyone was in this group; japanese mafia/international connection (muta, chono), the ese vato locs/central-street connect (konnan), the bikers (hogan, disciple), the con man (nash), the corporate man (michael wallstreet), the money (dibiase), the scumbags (hall and syxx), the muscle (norton, giant, rogers), the inside man (bischoff), the talent (hennig), the future (steiner, bagwell)...this group had it all.

i thought the Nexus would go such a route but WWE has never liked big factions or anyone or anything too dominant.

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 06:18 PM
One of my fondest memory was when Stone Cold kidnapped Scott Hall and proceeded to torture him. Good stuff.

The Rock dissing NWO was great too.

To be honest, I was a WWF guy but I would tune in to watch WCW's midcard and lightweight divisions.

Immortal Bum
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM
i was definitely a wCw guy, but WWE was undeniably dope back then as well. it was a lot easier to follow WWE because it didn't have as much variety as wCw, though it did what it did very well.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM
I do agree that Shawn Michaels is the best.

Shawn was the total package. Although his best days were during his DX run, which were triggered my his real life personal issues. Not saying he couldn't be a great heel/face but his real life issues made him that great of a villain.

His work rate, ability to take bumps and story tell a match is 2nd to none. Probably the best ever and by a couple of tiers above the next guy. Bret Hart was a little too technical for my taste. Heck, Benoit was technical but he brought the intensity.

The Rock is actually very underrated as a technical wrestler. Unfortunately, his technical ability didn't not match his style as "The Rock."

I do love the NWO days but I think they got where they got by breaking the rules of wrestling. That 4th wall and stepping outside the boundaries of the wrestling industry.

I'd say Shawn's best was when he came back in 2002.His second run after his 4 year retirement.He had his first match back against Triple H,put on some of the Greatest of All Time matches at WrestleMania against Kurt Angle,Chris Jericho,Undertaker and literally stole the show when his match was on every time.He had an hour long match in London against Cena which was one of the best matches that year,highly unexpected.They both went out there and just took over.

The Rock's anything but underrated as a technical wrestler.Some of his moves were crisp,good while others like the Worst Sahrpshooter known to man was not.Cena is more technically gifted and has more technical ability than the Rock but people hate Cena and due to only usually seeing "5 moves of doom" they don't see it.

I mean anybody that can pull a decent to good match against Khali,Umaga,Mark Henry,Big Show deserves praise and credit,not to mention all the great matches he's had.

Bret Hart was good,but he went through the motions or did the exact same thing every match,but he was still Excellence of Execution.Just his moves looked way too crisp,way too solid.Almost too perfect you know.
Randy Orton today is the perfect package.The way he moves,things he does crisp,clean,seems effortless yet always has a purpose.

The best workers were and are the ones who can tell a story,exude emotion,ellicit a response,be a general in the ring.It's not about how many moves you know or can do or how great you can do a suplex.It's about telling a story.

HBK,Triple H,Orton,Undertaker,Flair,Race,Jericho were and are masters at it.

The utter disgusting blackhole waste of a human being that is Benoit was the absence of Charisma and Showmanship.And due to him doing what he did should never even be mentioned regardless of how great he did a suplex or how many moves he knew.He was way too technical at the same time and way,way too stiff and hard.

And the NWO originally did become big breaking down barriers,borders and crossing lines but they went way too far with it.They practically took the wall down and burned it as well as consuming,devouring WCW and making it all NWO all the time.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 06:22 PM
One of my fondest memory was when Stone Cold kidnapped Scott Hall and proceeded to torture him. Good stuff.

The Rock dissing NWO was great too.

To be honest, I was a WWF guy but I would tune in to watch WCW's midcard and lightweight divisions.

what Best Time period and rivalry when NWO was around in WWE for Austin
was Booker T

Austin vs Booker T in a supermarket,come on that was hilarious

Flash31
10-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Horsemen were a great faction, but the first of its kind in a different way than the nWo or DX. For one, DX wasn't even the same type of faction as nWo, but much more like the Horsemen. the nWo was more like a gang than a wrestling faction. That was the big idea behind their supremacy, was that Eric Bishoff, the man in charge, was rolling with a damn gang of thugs, who were beyond wCw's control.

Horsemen, DX, Evolution, Revolution, Radicalz...these are the same basic type of faction; A Superstar, a tag team, and a star (the midcarder).

The nWo was an entirely new beast; it took how gangs were and made a wrestling faction with dudes who didn't just seek to dominate, but consume soldiers and territory, everyone was in this group; japanese mafia/international connection (muta, chono), the ese vato locs/central-street connect (konnan), the bikers (hogan, disciple), the con man (nash), the corporate man (michael wallstreet), the money (dibiase), the scumbags (hall and syxx), the muscle (norton, giant, rogers), the inside man (bischoff), the talent (hennig), the future (steiner, bagwell)...this group had it all.

i thought the Nexus would go such a route but WWE has never liked big factions or anyone or anything too dominant.

You dont want a faction to get too big otherwise it dillutes it ala NWO,
you dont want them to dominate too long otherwise it becomes stale and theres no advancement.And you definitely don't want a faction to get too powerful otherwise you have a situation like WCW where the NWO consumed literally everything and everybody.

But anyways,

Evolution was awesome.

It also brought us two rising stars in Randy Orton and Batista.
Come on pink wearing shirt,spotlight having,no more kissing babies and hugging fat girls,basketballs dont hold grudges,and duct tape Douchetista was Awesome.And Randy Orton as the Viper,battles with Foley,HBK,Cena and punting people left and right,Awesome.

and now today,you have the Shield.
Dominant,rebel,do things on their own.They don't and really didn't give a reason to why they were and are doing things,they just do.Good collection of talent,skill and potential.Could be future stars.

BELIVE IN THE SHIELD.BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD.

Immortal Bum
10-29-2013, 06:34 PM
i'm not gonna get too much into it because i've had this debate too many times already, but how anyone can see Shawn Michaels as the GOAT is beyond me. He had a very short prime in the 90s before he had to go away to get his life together (his back was only half the reason) where he was incredible in every way, but the dude who return in 2002 wasn't even a shadow of the man there was before. His character has remained stale through his entire return; none of his angles were any good because he did the same routine over and over so most of his feuds were about friendship or him being someone's idol. shit was awful. but because that WWE hype machine went to work, you'll surely believe HBK is the GOAT. But about 95% of the dude's reputation is based on WWE having always hyped the hell out of him, when he really was only that great for maybe two years? maybe?

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 06:39 PM
what Best Time period and rivalry when NWO was around in WWE for Austin
was Booker T

Austin vs Booker T in a supermarket,come on that was hilarious

I was going to bring up Booker/Austin in supermarket because that was one of the greatest moments too. Booker wasn't a big name in WWF at the time, even though he was great in WCW.

I think Austin looked too strong in that fight but it was great nonetheless. Booker was selling and crying in the market.

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 06:40 PM
i'm not gonna get too much into it because i've had this debate too many times already, but how anyone can see Shawn Michaels as the GOAT is beyond me. He had a very short prime in the 90s before he had to go away to get his life together (his back was only half the reason) where he was incredible in every way, but the dude who return in 2002 wasn't even a shadow of the man there was before. His character has remained stale through his entire return; none of his angles were any good because he did the same routine over and over so most of his feuds were about friendship or him being someone's idol. shit was awful. but because that WWE hype machine went to work, you'll surely believe HBK is the GOAT. But about 95% of the dude's reputation is based on WWE having always hyped the hell out of him, when he really was only that great for maybe two years? maybe?

That really tells you how good HBK was. Even with the shitty angles you mentioned and I agree they were, he was still able to put a 5 star match.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 06:46 PM

man,what!!?
HBK vs Triple H was a hell of a rivalry
Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels at WM were two of the goat in history.
The good rivalry with Jericho.
Amzing matches at Wm almost every single year.The DX reunion in 2006,
the matches he had against Kurt Angle,the hour long classic against Cena.
The Shelton Benjamin match.
Come on.

If you think Shawn Michaels was only great for two years,especially post 2002,you don't know wrestling or WWE period.

Immortal Bum
10-29-2013, 06:48 PM
he was great for two years in the 90s, otherwise he's terribly glorified. a slouch, no way, he's a talent indeed, but drastically overrated. The Undertaker almost feels underrated the way people rave about HBK. Hell, if i was starting a company i'd take prime Triple H (my time) over that prime HBK of the 90s.

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Angle/Shawn was easily 5 star.

Jericho/HBK was 4.5 star.

HHH/HBK...I have my reasons because I don't like HHH at all. Maybe why I consider him a great heel. Hate that guy.

HBK/Taker was a good match. I prefer their Hell in a Cell decades ago...still 5 star.

9erempiree
10-29-2013, 06:51 PM
he was great for two years in the 90s, otherwise he's terribly glorified. a slouch, no way, he's a talent indeed, but drastically overrated. The Undertaker almost feels underrated the way people rave about HBK. Hell, if i was starting a company i'd take prime Triple H (my time) over that prime HBK of the 90s.

We're just going to disagree because HBK was the man.

Easily the best.

He use to put PPV type matches on free television.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I was going to bring up Booker/Austin in supermarket because that was one of the greatest moments too. Booker wasn't a big name in WWF at the time, even though he was great in WCW.

I think Austin looked too strong in that fight but it was great nonetheless. Booker was selling and crying in the market.

he was still
the 5-time,5-time,5-time,5-time,5-time WCW Champion
Now Can you dig that.....SUCKKAAA

Booker T was good in 01-04,
He really picked it up with King Bookah

Strong,it was AUSTIN,
Subtlety and a weakness weren't in Austin's or WWE's thought process about him
He stunned the whole roster at one show almost,
the zamboni,beer truck,hospital with McMahon,Nothing about Austin was a subtle or weak point

But next to HBK kicking STAN in the Face,Mcmahons in Church,and Austin dumping Triple H who was in a car with a forklift only for Triple H to show up the next week with a Big a$$ bandaid on his forehead and continue on like nothing much happened,that was one of the funniest,most hilarious moments.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Angle/Shawn was easily 5 star.

Jericho/HBK was 4.5 star.

HHH/HBK...I have my reasons because I don't like HHH at all. Maybe why I consider him a great heel. Hate that guy.

HBK/Taker was a good match. I prefer their Hell in a Cell decades ago...still 5 star.

It's what's BEST FOR BUSINESS.

Flash31
10-29-2013, 06:58 PM

HBK was a better worker post 2002 than in the 90s.
Triple H though was one of the GOAT heels ever and he could tell a story up there with the best.
The Undertaker has been putting on show stealing WM matches since HBK1.Shows up once every year at WM,has the best match and some of the goat matches.He still has it and is constantly reinventing himself.
I mean

HBK-Taker 1
HBK-Taker-2
HHH-Taker
HHH-Taker with HBK as special guet ref Hell in a Cell
CM Punk

and HBK post 2002 was putting on classics

vs Jericho
vs Angle
vs Ric Flair
vs Undertaker
vs Undertaker 2
He left with probably the goat match anybody would retire with,

Im still waiting and anticipating as is everybody else,the dream match though
CENA vs Undertaker at WM

Patrick Chewing
10-29-2013, 11:45 PM
97-99

Best years of wrestling. Period.

TheMarkMadsen
10-30-2013, 12:10 AM

The fact that you called HBK a slouch in the ring shows you don't know what you're talking about.

#number6ix#
10-30-2013, 12:26 AM
My favorite memories from wrestling:

Stone cold driving the beer truck into the arena spraying the rock and Vince

Stone cold beating Vince in the hospital

The reign of DX

Lebron23
10-30-2013, 01:45 AM
1993-2002 were the best years of wrestling. The ruthless aggression era were also solid.

HarryCallahan
10-30-2013, 07:15 AM
In that era:

AJPW > WCW > WWF > ECW > everybody else

Invert that homie. Misawa and Kobashi are great and all, but c'mon no storylines, Jun Akiyama is pretty meh... I don't get all the hype about AJ in the late 90's.

Rameek
10-30-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah they did,back in the 70s,early 80s

Four Horsemen were legendary
All over NWA and AWA,even early WCW-Jim Crockett Promotions
and WcW

come on
you had the 16 time Wooo World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair
Ole and Arn Anderson,Tully Blanchard,James Dillon

all those legendary battles with Dusty Rhodes,Harley Race,Steamboat,
Road Warriors,Greg Valentine,Magnum TA

They were the dominating,rebel,do whatever they wanted group before NWO and DX,Evolution was even an idea

The NWO were great,one of all time goat groups(the original),not what it became and they did set WCW and Nitro on fire
but they also burned both to the ground

NWO were all time great but
the 4 Horsemen were simply put Better
When I saw era ever and they talk about post '95 stuff like wrestling didnt exist before. So the original post should say this generation or young generation.

Nothing will ever compare to Hulkemania though.

Next definitely the 4 Horseman which was the original

I think NWO was the most shocking though. I wont lie I was a young adult and I purchased NWO and Wolfpac paraphernalia. I think DX was 3rd because they were bubble gum boy band type stuff.

Pure entertainment Stone Cold and then Rock era was the funniest.

Any match Bret Hart was involved in was instant classic. Greatest wrestler to ever grace the mat. Bob backlund and Bruno. NWA/AWA was the bloodiest matches. The WWF tried to emulate it to some extent. Flash you know wrestling for real!:bowdown:

I remember going to matches when it was best 2 out of 3 falls when guys would have to wrestle back to back to back.

Props to Kaiteng and HarryHarryCallahan for knowing AJPW. It was more about wrestling than anything else.

HBK found his place late in his career.

HarryCallahan
10-30-2013, 07:33 PM
In-ring storytelling is more than enough. Kobashi trying as hard as he could to beat the seemingly unbeatable ace of the company after years of being bottom feeder is a great storyline by itself.

It had a great foreigner roster back then also, "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, Gary Albright, Johnny "People Power" Ace, and Vader.

All they did is great pure pro wrestling matches after matches.

Meh. Two guys stiffing and no-selling one-another was never my cup-o-tea. I like watching Misawa chain-wrestle, but he never seemed like he was in much pain. Insert tasteless joke about his in ring heart-attack here.

TheMarkMadsen
10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Meh. Two guys stiffing and no-selling one-another was never my cup-o-tea. I like watching Misawa chain-wrestle, but he never seemed like he was in much pain. Insert tasteless joke about his in ring heart-attack here.

I'm a big wrestling fan but I've got to admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Japanese wrestling or any over season wrestling for that matter.

I've watched a little, the crowds always seem so calm, seems like they are made up of people in suits, an it's almost as if they take it as a legit sport.

I've heard wrestling in Japan gets alot more respect, and is appreciated as an art form? Is there any truth to that?

Also why is Japanese wrestling so damn stiff. They beat the shit out eachother from what I've seen.

I remember reading on how Dutch Mantell ( Zeb Colter) sold out the 16,000-seat Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, Puerto for 9 STRAIGHT WEEKS as the booker and as a wrestler. A record that still stands. Apparently these people thought it was real

HarryCallahan
10-30-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm a big wrestling fan but I've got to admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to Japanese wrestling or any over season wrestling for that matter.

I've watched a little, the crowds always seem so calm, seems like they are made up of people in suits, an it's almost as if they take it as a legit sport.

I've heard wrestling in Japan gets alot more respect, and is appreciated as an art form? Is there any truth to that?

Also why is Japanese wrestling so damn stiff. They beat the shit out eachother from what I've seen.

I remember reading on how Dutch Mantell ( Zeb Colter) sold out the 16,000-seat Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, Puerto for 9 STRAIGHT WEEKS as the booker and as a wrestler. A record that still stands. Apparently these people thought it was real

I know in his first book, Foley mentions that papers print wrestling results next to the baseball results.

The crowds in Japan watch very intently, and really appreciate a good set of chain-wrestling or counters. I think the stiffness has to do with "fighting spirit" in that Japanese crowds respect you for being able to withstand punishment, something that likely dates back to the Sumo tradition of pretty much torturing aspiring sumo's. It's also why no-selling is popular too.

I don't know much about Puerto Rico, but I've seen some Bushwhackers(Sheephearders) matches from there and it was fvcking insane.

Jameerthefear
10-30-2013, 09:25 PM
what is op talking about wcw stands for womancrushwednesday

HarryCallahan
10-30-2013, 09:41 PM
lil Meer wasn't even born when the nWo started.... :eek:

Jameerthefear
10-30-2013, 09:46 PM
lil Meer wasn't even born when the nWo started.... :eek:
people actually watched wrestling? :lol

TheMarkMadsen
10-30-2013, 09:52 PM

More people watched it every Monday than MNF

It was like the last season of breaking bad for 4 years in terms of pop culture relevancy. Hell I'd say even more relevant. SouthPark & Wrestling were the 2 biggest things in The states

You really missed out :(

HarryCallahan
10-30-2013, 10:01 PM
People actually watch oreimo? People in glass houses meer...

Jameerthefear
10-30-2013, 10:38 PM
People actually watch oreimo? People in glass houses meer...
only the cool kids

HarryCallahan
10-30-2013, 11:10 PM
only the cool kids

I'll trade you a pack of Marlboro's for all of oreimo on a usb?

Jameerthefear
10-30-2013, 11:19 PM
throw in some condoms and we might can talk

HarryCallahan
10-30-2013, 11:26 PM
throw in some condoms and we might can talk
:

They're for pvssies who are afraid of a little risk.

guy
10-30-2013, 11:34 PM
More people watched it every Monday than MNF

It was like the last season of breaking bad for 4 years in terms of pop culture relevancy. Hell I'd say even more relevant. SouthPark & Wrestling were the 2 biggest things in The states

You really missed out :(

This. I'd say from about 96-01 I.E. HBK/Hitman iron man match and nWo formation to the WCW vs WWE invasion storyline, it was some of the most entertaining television ever for me. Right up there with the NBA in the 90s and the current golden era of TV dramas.

HarryCallahan
10-31-2013, 12:03 AM
But when the crowd goes nut, you know something amazing is happening.

Wrestlers have to earn respect much more in Japan than in North America. It can be a good measuring stick for American pro wrestlers in term of creditability. MVP intentionally opted out of WWE contract to train and wrestle in NJPW, the best Japanese company now, for that.

I love the sound a Japanese crowd makes near the end of a great match, there's a certain gravitas about the silences in between false finishes when the crow collectively "Uhh's" amd "Ooohh's".

guy
10-31-2013, 12:50 PM
This. I'd say from about 96-01 I.E. HBK/Hitman iron man match and nWo formation to the WCW vs WWE invasion storyline, it was some of the most entertaining television ever for me. Right up there with the NBA in the 90s and the current golden era of TV dramas.

Just to expand on this:

96 - HBK vs Bret Hart
96 - Formation of the nWo
96-97-98 - nWo vs. WCW
97 - Stone Cold vs Bret Hart
97 - Formation of DX
97 - HBK/DX vs. Bret Hart/Hart Foundation
97-98 - Sting vs Hogan/nWo
97 - Stone Cold vs. the Rock/Nation of Domination
97-98 - Undertaker vs. Kane
98 - Stone Cold vs. HBK/DX/Tyson
98-99 - Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon
98 - reformation of DX
98 - HHH/DX vs. the Rock/Nation
98 - Undertaker vs. Mankind
98 - Stone Cold vs. Undertaker
98 - Raven vs DDP
98 - Dean Malenko vs. Chris Jericho
98 - nWo Hollywood vs. nWo Wolfpack vs. WCW
98 - Goldberg's streak
98 - Sting vs. Bret Hart
98 - Goldberg vs. DDP
98 - Hogan vs. Warrior
98 - formation of the Corporation
98-99 - the Rock vs. Mankind
99 - Stone Cold vs. the Rock
99 - formation of Corporate Ministry
99 - the Higher Power angle
99 - Stone Cold vs. HHH/DX
99 - HHH/Stephanie marriage
00 - the Radicalz
00 - HHH vs. Cactus Jack
00 - HHH vs. the Rock
00 - Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho
00 - HHH vs. Chris Jericho
00/01 - HHH vs. Stone Cold (WHODUNNIT ANGLE)
01 - Stone Cold vs. the Rock
01 - Shane buying WCW
01 - Stone Cold/Vince McMahon/HHH alliance
01 - WWE vs. WCW/ECW Alliance
01 - Stone Cold vs. Chris Benoit
01 - Stone Cold vs. Kurt Angle
01 - Chris Jericho vs. the Rock

:rockon:

GOBB
10-31-2013, 01:18 PM
I liked DX theme song and Sean Michaels is one of my fav wrestlers of all time. I got a kick out of Triple H getting a fresh water bottles only to spit it in the air. How did he get the water to spray so magical? I tried it at home and it doesnt do it like he does.

Never watched the NWO era. I cant take Hulk Hogan all blacked out serious. :confusedshrug:

Flash31
10-31-2013, 09:05 PM

You know a guy who watches
girly anime and fantasizes about anime underage girls and his sister,

Yeah,lol

How old are you again?
you got problems

Flash31
10-31-2013, 09:11 PM
Just to expand on this:

96 - HBK vs Bret Hart
96 - Formation of the nWo
96-97-98 - nWo vs. WCW
97 - Stone Cold vs Bret Hart
97 - Formation of DX
97 - HBK/DX vs. Bret Hart/Hart Foundation
97-98 - Sting vs Hogan/nWo
97 - Stone Cold vs. the Rock/Nation of Domination
97-98 - Undertaker vs. Kane
98 - Stone Cold vs. HBK/DX/Tyson
98-99 - Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon
98 - reformation of DX
98 - HHH/DX vs. the Rock/Nation
98 - Undertaker vs. Mankind
98 - Stone Cold vs. Undertaker
98 - Raven vs DDP
98 - Dean Malenko vs. Chris Jericho
98 - nWo Hollywood vs. nWo Wolfpack vs. WCW
98 - Goldberg's streak
98 - Sting vs. Bret Hart
98 - Goldberg vs. DDP
98 - Hogan vs. Warrior
98 - formation of the Corporation
98-99 - the Rock vs. Mankind
99 - Stone Cold vs. the Rock
99 - formation of Corporate Ministry
99 - the Higher Power angle
99 - Stone Cold vs. HHH/DX
99 - HHH/Stephanie marriage
00 - the Radicalz
00 - HHH vs. Cactus Jack
00 - HHH vs. the Rock
00 - Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho
00 - HHH vs. Chris Jericho
00/01 - HHH vs. Stone Cold (WHODUNNIT ANGLE)
01 - Stone Cold vs. the Rock
01 - Shane buying WCW
01 - Stone Cold/Vince McMahon/HHH alliance
01 - WWE vs. WCW/ECW Alliance
01 - Stone Cold vs. Chris Benoit
01 - Stone Cold vs. Kurt Angle
01 - Chris Jericho vs. the Rock

:rockon:

You forgot Chris Jericho beating the Rock and Stone Cold in the same night.
Shane McMahon vs Big Show last man standing
Triple H vs Mick Foley Hell in a Cell
the Debut of KANE
Chris Jericho's WWF/WWE Debut
APA's bar brawls
Hardcore Title being 24/7
TLC WM

L.Kizzle
10-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Buff Bagwell, enough said.

guy
11-01-2013, 10:07 AM
You forgot Chris Jericho beating the Rock and Stone Cold in the same night.
Shane McMahon vs Big Show last man standing
Triple H vs Mick Foley Hell in a Cell
the Debut of KANE
Chris Jericho's WWF/WWE Debut
APA's bar brawls
Hardcore Title being 24/7
TLC WM

I thought it was on the downhill after the Invasion and they had the undisputed championship. Really, it went downhill for me once Stone Cold turned back into face and it looked like they were just rehashing his stuff again. Don't get me wrong, it was still entertaining as hell, but just didn't feel the same. I just thought they should've given Stone Cold a longer heel run. Obviously, it wouldn't have worked out because he was just way too popular and his injury would've messed that up anyway. But I thought he was a great hell, and ideally, I wish he had a heel run kinda like Hogan did, which lasted a few years.

Forgot Shane O'Mac. All of his matches were amazing vs. X-Pac, Test, Blackman, Big Show were amazing.

I touched on the HIAC match with HHH/Foley when I mentioned the feud. Also touched on the Kane debut by mentioning his feud with the Undertaker. I should've mentioned Undertaker vs. HBK though.

Definitely should've mentioned the last 4 you said though :cheers:

Another underrated feud was the one between Scott Steiner and DDP when Steiner threw Kimberly Page out of a moving car.