PDA

View Full Version : Charles Barkley's top 5 and top 10:

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 05:42 PM
http://strosechronicle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/barkley.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/29/charles-barkley-lebron-james-top-5_n_4175361.html

"I have Michael [Jordan] at No. 1. Oscar [Robertson] at No. 2. Then Wilt [Chamberlain], Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar] and [Bill] Russell," Barkley said. "I have Kobe [Bryant], LeBron, Tim Duncan, Jerry West and Elgin Baylor after that. Those are my top 10. Those second five fluctuate, but who do I take off my top five?"

Interestingly, no Dr. J (former teammate), no Larry or Magic or Shaq (former opponents / dream team teammates) but he certainly has room for ALL 5 of the mt rushmore of dominant 60s legends over top of those guys. 4 of his top 5 are 'Wilt Chamberlain era' players.

NumberSix
10-30-2013, 05:44 PM
http://strosechronicle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/barkley.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/29/charles-barkley-lebron-james-top-5_n_4175361.html

Interestingly, no Dr. J (former teammate), no Larry or Magic or Shaq (former opponents / dream team teammates) but he certainly has room for ALL 5 of the mt rushmore of dominant 60s legends over top of those guys. 4 of his top 5 are 'Wilt Chamberlain era' players.
Bird is without question the best Celtic player of all time. There is no argument for anybody else.

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Bird is without question the best Celtic player of all time. There is no argument for anybody else.
Red Aurbach saw Bird's entire career, and he thinks Bill Russell was the best.

Red Aurbach's opinion on this particular subject >>> your opinion on this particular subject

MP.Trey
10-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Remember that TNT all-time fantasy draft or whatever. Didn't Barkley take Iverson #1 overall? :roll:

NumberSix
10-30-2013, 05:48 PM

Red Aurbach's opinion on this particular subject >>> your opinion on this particular subject
Oh, so Red is the only person to ever voice an opinion on this? Or, are you just choosing the opinion that supports your own?

Dro
10-30-2013, 05:49 PM

He could still be biased because he coached Russell for such a long time...He just watched Bird but I don't know if he actually knew him as a person like he knows Russell. I'm not taking Russell over Bird...Not if I want a guy to lead me to a championship and put the team on his back from a scoring/playmaking standpoint...

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Remember that TNT all-time fantasy draft or whatever. Didn't Barkley take Iverson #1 overall? :roll:
Remember it was because he didn't understand he rules?

NumberSix
10-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Even if he didn't, why would he take Iverson #1 anyway? If he thought he was picking a PG first, what was he doing picking AI?

kidd2dwill
10-30-2013, 05:53 PM

I think he thought it was for all star game. :oldlol:

MP.Trey
10-30-2013, 05:55 PM
No I don't. I recall the rules being stated very clearly that he could pck anyone on the board and I thought he still knowingly chose Iverson. What did he think the rules were? Got a source?

EDIT: If he thought it was for an ASG, Iverson's not a bad choice. He was entertaining as all hell. But still, C'mon Chuck. :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 05:57 PM
No I don't. I recall the rules being stated very clearly that he could pck anyone on the board and I thought he still knowingly chose Iverson. What did he think the rules were? Got a source?
Stating = / = understanding. Watch the episode again, I'm sure it's on YT, he didn't understand the rules they were laughing at him for it the entire time

Bernie Nips
10-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Oh did he?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067127/index.htm

Several weeks ago, at a $1,500-a-couple dinner honoring Bird, with the proceeds going to the New England Sports Museum, a $250,000 statue of Bird by Armand LaMontagne was unveiled. Auerbach stood up that night and said, "If I had to start a team, the one guy in all history I would take would be Larry Bird. This is the greatest ballplayer who ever played the game." To say this took an extraordinary amount of "soul-searching" on Auerbach's part. It meant that Bill Russell was No. 2.

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 06:12 PM
Oh did he?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067127/index.htm
Yes he did, he racanted that statement later in his life after he was done being a prisoner of the moment and had time to reflect on both players :cheers:

Kinda like the people who quote rick barry calling Wilt a loser when they both competed at the same time, whilst today (and actuallly right after Wilt retired) he recanted apologized actually, and argues with anyone and everyone now that Wilt is the GOAT. People's minds can change when they have time to think and aren't caught up in the moment you know.

Bernie Nips
10-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Yes he did, he racanted that statement later in his life after he was done being a prisoner of the moment and had time to reflect on both players :cheers:

Kinda like the people who quote rick barry calling Wilt a loser when they both competed at the same time, whilst today (and actuallly right after Wilt retired) he recanted apologized actually, and argues with anyone and everyone now that Wilt is the GOAT. People's minds can change when they have time to think and aren't caught up in the moment you know.

Oh, well I'd be interested to read these words if you could provide them.

BIZARRO
10-30-2013, 06:21 PM

This is the actual quote from the article.

From this article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067127/1/index.htm

"Auerbach stood up that night and said, "If I had to start a team, the one guy in all history I would take would be Larry Bird. This is the greatest ballplayer who ever played the game." To say this took an extraordinary amount of "soul-searching" on Auerbach's part. It meant that Bill Russell was No. 2."

Can you find where he recanted this statement? I was not aware that he had.

ProfessorMurder
10-30-2013, 06:29 PM
His top 5 makes sense, all guys he grew up watching (other than MJ who is the GOAT and beat prime Barkley).

Deuce Bigalow
10-30-2013, 06:36 PM

From this article:

"Auerbach stood up that night and said, "If I had to start a team, the one guy in all history I would take would be Larry Bird. This is the greatest ballplayer who ever played the game." To say this took an extraordinary amount of "soul-searching" on Auerbach's part. It meant that Bill Russell was No. 2."

ETHER

HeatFanSince88
10-30-2013, 09:43 PM

From this article:

:roll: :applause:

damn that cavaliersftw kid got fuked. ethered

fpliii
10-30-2013, 09:51 PM

:facepalm

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 10:13 PM
:roll: :applause:

damn that cavaliersftw kid got fuked. ethered
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/boston/halloffame/jersey?id=6857227

Red Auerbach was once asked if he had to pick a player to start a team, would he choose Bill Russell or Larry Bird? Auerbach thought it over and said he'd take Russell. Then, he quickly added, "Then I'd trade for Bird."
You kids need to settle down, I can't make this stuff up.

aj1987
10-30-2013, 10:13 PM
:facepalm West, Baylor, and Oscar over Shaq and Duncan? Lebron over Hakeem, Shaq and Duncan? Barkley is funny, but he's an idiot.

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Here's another quote from Auerbach:

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/06/sports/pro-basketball-legends-of-past-agree-jordan-is-star-of-stars.html

"If I'm starting a team, the first player I'd pick is Russell because you can't win without the ball and Russell will get you the ball...''

CavaliersFTW
10-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Where the haters at, you guys love to jump the gun and act like I got ethered, but when I cite myself and throw the 'ether' right back in your face you all scatter like rats :oldlol:

ZMonkey11
10-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Stating = / = understanding. Watch the episode again, I'm sure it's on YT, he didn't understand the rules they were laughing at him for it the entire time

This is correct. I watched the episode last week again. He thought it was your All All-star team. And he picked Iverson because he would always have the rock in his hand.

Bernie Nips
10-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Your original post:

Quote from Red Auerbach on Larry Bird:

This is the greatest ballplayer who ever played the game.

Your responses:

Red Auerbach was once asked if he had to pick a player to start a team, would he choose Bill Russell or Larry Bird? Auerbach thought it over and said he'd take Russell. Then, he quickly added, "Then I'd trade for Bird."

"If I'm starting a team, the first player I'd pick is Russell because you can't win without the ball and Russell will get you the ball...''

So please show me where Red said Bill Russell was the BEST. I just see him picking a center to start a team with - how rare, most people would.

I DO however see a quote where he says Larry Bird is the greatest ballplayer to ever play the game.

Throwing "ether" right back in my face hey?

CavaliersFTW
10-31-2013, 12:51 AM
Your original post:

Quote from Red Auerbach on Larry Bird:

Your responses:

So please show me where Red said Bill Russell was the BEST. I just see him picking a center to start a team with - how rare, most people would.

I DO however see a quote where he says Larry Bird is the greatest ballplayer to ever play the game.

Throwing "ether" right back in my face hey?
Oh of course you'll downplay Red Aurbach picking Bill Russell over Larry Bird because THAT quote doesn't suit your agenda. Only the older quote from Red Auerbach does. It's merely 'just Red picking a center', sure...

I'll take this downplay of his quote as an admission of defeat, thanks. The guy who you start your team with all-time, is the best player - period. The guy who's going to impact your ball club the most. Sorry, no way out of this one :cheers:

Bernie Nips
10-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Oh of course you'll downplay Red Aurbach picking Bill Russell over Larry Bird because THAT quote doesn't suit your agenda. Only the older quote from Red Auerbach does. It's merely 'just Red picking a center', sure...

I'll take this downplay of his quote as an admission of defeat, thanks. The guy who you start your team with all-time, is the best player - period. The guy who's going to impact your ball club the most. Sorry, no way out of this one :cheers:

Cool man, read what you wanna read if it makes you feel better.