PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Coaches

Tarik One
11-01-2013, 12:14 PM
He's a well liked and respected guy, but no coach did less with more than Dean Smith. In his only two title games, he needed extreme mental breakdowns from an opposing player to give it to him..I.e. Fred Brown's pass to James Worthy and Chris Webber's timeout.

He had some loaded teams in 1987 and 1997 and failed too. Plus, he is the reason for the shot clock due to his four corner's stall ball that was the most cowardly thing in sports. Not a fan of Smith.

Mike Ditka is another one

rufuspaul
11-01-2013, 12:21 PM
:no:

hateraid
11-01-2013, 12:22 PM
I might get slaughtered for this one but I'll say Phil Jackson.
Moreso for being labelled the greatest NBA coach of all-time. Although I would definitely put him in the upper echelons of coaching I feel he inherited great teams and great players. One major blip on his resume is that he got out coached by Larry Brown with arguably his most talented roster ever assembled.

DukeDelonte13
11-01-2013, 01:13 PM
Coach Spo is extremely overrated, but the only people that i think that think he's good him are heat fans. Got in to the league because of nepotism, not on talent.

ZenMaster
11-01-2013, 02:10 PM
I might get slaughtered for this one but I'll say Phil Jackson.
Moreso for being labelled the greatest NBA coach of all-time. Although I would definitely put him in the upper echelons of coaching I feel he inherited great teams and great players. One major blip on his resume is that he got out coached by Larry Brown with arguably his most talented roster ever assembled.

Having great players doesn't guarantee that you win, a lot of coaches have had great rosters and failed for one reason or another. You even came up with an example yourself.

Coach Spo is extremely overrated, but the only people that i think that think he's good him are heat fans. Got in to the league because of nepotism, not on talent.

Spo didn't become a head coach because of nepotism, he worked incredibly hard for that.
He's become a good coach, they run some very beatiful offense and good defense that fits the personel.

Myth
11-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Coach Carter. He locks his team out of the gym so they can't practice even though they were undefeated, then quits on the team when the school board allows the team to play basketball. They don't even advance to the state finals.

mlh1981
11-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Lou Pinella comes to mind. Survived on "reputation" for a long time. Another name is Bill Cowher. He's remembered now as a legend of sorts, but for the longest time, was the coach who couldn't get his team over the hump. The Steelers consistently blew AFC championship games at home under him for the longest time. That Super Bowl really saved his ass.

Qwyjibo
11-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Any average to bad coach in the MLB whose team overcomes mindbogglingly stupid on-field decisions and still manages to win and make them look good.

Dusty Baker
Ron Washington
Fredi Gonzalez
Soon to be added to the list: John Farrell

TheReal Kendall
11-01-2013, 11:31 PM

JVG just said he's a HOF coach during the Heat game.

I kinda agree with Phil Jackson being overrated

TheReal Kendall
11-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Coach Carter. He locks his team out of the gym so they can't practice even though they were undefeated, then quits on the team when the school board allows the team to play basketball. They don't even advance to the state finals.

I thought they did advance in the movie.

AngelEyes
11-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Any average to bad coach in the MLB whose team overcomes mindbogglingly stupid on-field decisions and still manages to win and make them look good.

Dusty Baker
Ron Washington
Fredi Gonzalez
Soon to be added to the list: John Farrell

Baker is the first name that comes to mind. Some teams would have been far better without him.

Myth
11-02-2013, 05:53 AM
I thought they did advance in the movie.

Even in the movie, I believe they "advanced," but it was just to the next round. They lost before they made the state finals.