PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Sports

Twin Beadles
11-03-2013, 08:14 PM
As depressing as it sounds, it seems as the world exponentially becomes more virtualized in the next few decades, the number of kids dribbling on blacktops, waking up and rushing out to the fields for baseball, or even kicking a soccer ball around will be fewer and fewer.

What's harder to imagine, is what professional sports will look like. Just looking at basketball specifically, it seems that common trends as time goes by are: more and more freakishly athletic players come by, and the game becomes more and more robotic( by this i mean players are taught exactly how to shoot and to shoot the same way every time, and playbooks are written with specific strategies to attack a specific kind of defense etc etc.

So it's hard to imagine in say 30- 35 years whether or not 10 ft rims and 23 foot 3 point lines will still exist. 50 inch verticals may be common and players have muscle memory so programmed into them they can consecutively stroke jumpers from halfcourt with ease.

That's just my little spiel, here's a 2009 Forbes article envisioning the Sports world in 2025, interesting read.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/04/nba-nhl-mlb-nfl-sports-business_future_sports.html

dr.hee
11-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Just looking at basketball specifically, it seems that common trends as time goes by are: more and more freakishly athletic players come by, and the game becomes more and more robotic( by this i mean players are taught exactly how to shoot and to shoot the same way every time, and playbooks are written with specific strategies to attack a specific kind of defense etc etc.

Wow that sounds terrible. Why would players want to develop a consistent shooting form? And teams with a specific gameplan? Damn you, future!

Jameerthefear
11-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Don't know about all that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 50 inch vert becoming common. Modern medicine and shiz just gets better and better as time passes.

HarryCallahan
11-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Don't know about all that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 50 inch vert becoming common. Modern medicine and shiz just gets better and better as time passes.

I don't think we'll have to worry about that for a while yet. Standardization of 50inch verticals won't happen until manipulation of genes in utero becomes possible and socially acceptable.