PDA

View Full Version : Where do you rank Paul Pierce in the Celtics GOAT?

KyleKong
11-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Not a big Celtics fanboy, so I got no opinion.

Just curious.

cos88
11-04-2013, 03:59 AM
not in the conversation for goat. maybe top 10 celtics off all time but no goat for the truth :no:

KyleKong
11-04-2013, 04:01 AM
not in the conversation for goat. maybe top 10 celtics off all time but no goat for the truth :no:

Got a top 10 for the Celtics?

OldSkoolball#52
11-04-2013, 04:12 AM

1. Brian Scalabrine
2. Everyone else

TheCorporation
11-04-2013, 04:16 AM
#1 Green GOAT

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/6/V/W/d/u/i/green-goat-md.png

aj1987
11-04-2013, 05:17 AM
1. Russell
2. Bird
3. Hondo
4. Cowens
5. McHale

Pierce actually has a case for #5, but I don't like the guy. #6.

jdm_dc_fan
11-04-2013, 05:19 AM
5th

salwan
11-04-2013, 05:32 AM
he's 5-6th IMO

Champ
11-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Top 15...

Bird
Russell
Hondo
Cousy
Cowens
McHale
Pierce
S. Jones
Sharman
Heinsohn
Jo Jo
Parish
DJ
KG
Macauley

Real Men Wear Green
11-04-2013, 11:07 AM
He has a case over anyone but Russell, Havlicek, Cousy, Bird, Cowens, and McHale. And I leave open the possibility I've forgotten someone. He would beat most of those guys in a game of one-on-one but NBA basketball is not one on one and I believe in respecting MVP awards and first-team All-NBA selections even though I acknowledge the players of today are generally better than players in the '60s (although some people take that too far).

Uncle Drew
11-04-2013, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF0Pe2fFDsU

aj1987
11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
He has a case over anyone but Russell, Havlicek, Cousy, Bird, Cowens, and McHale. And I leave open the possibility I've forgotten someone. He would beat most of those guys in a game of one-on-one but NBA basketball is not one on one and I believe in respecting MVP awards and first-team All-NBA selections even though I acknowledge the players of today are generally better than players in the '60s (although some people take that too far).
Cousy? I do hate Pierce, but Cousy isn't better than Pierce.

Real Men Wear Green
11-04-2013, 11:35 AM
I agree, but his career was. 13 straight All-NBAs and an MVP award. That's why I say, "He would beat most of those guys in a game of one-on-one but NBA basketball is not one on one and I believe in respecting MVP awards and first-team All-NBA selections even though I acknowledge the players of today are generally better than players in the '60s." Similarly, Rondo would annihilate Cousy if they met in their primes but Rondo's career won't be abywhere close to what Cousy's was.

Champ
11-04-2013, 03:40 PM

That depends on what you mean by "better."

If one considers each player relative to their respective eras, than Cousy was the better player. Far more revelatory and influential, as well.

CavaliersFTW
11-04-2013, 03:41 PM
1. Russell
2. Bird
3. Hondo
4. Cowens
5. McHale

Pierce actually has a case for #5, but I don't like the guy. #6.
Sam Jones and Bob Cousy I'd actually put ahead of him

Eric Cartman
11-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Larry Bird is the GOAT Celtics player.

Bring on the hate you pu$$ies.

Champ
11-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Sam Jones and Bob Cousy I'd actually put ahead of him

Sam Jones and Pierce run neck and neck, IMO. Similar in that they were both fantastic pure scorers and big game players.

Always hard to compare across different eras.

Champ
11-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Larry Bird is the GOAT Celtics player.

Bring on the hate you pu$$ies.

I agree, but opinions vary on this. Both are top five GOAT candidates, and when you get to that level, a lot comes down to personal preference and the framing of your argument.

That isn't really what this thread's about, though.

Eric Cartman
11-04-2013, 03:50 PM
I agree, but opinions vary on this. Both are top five GOAT candidates, and when you get to that level, a lot comes down to personal preference and the framing of your argument.

That isn't really what this thread's about, though.

Thread topic:

I would rank Pierce #4

1.Bird
2.Russell
3.Hondo
4.Pierce
5.Cowens/Cousy

GaryRaymond23
11-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Fringe top 5 depending on a certain person's preference.

I can see him ranked anywhere from 3-7 really.

I'd probably place him 4th or 5th.

kennethgriffin
11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
behind

- bill russell ( top 5 player ever )
- Larry Bird ( top 10 player ever )
- bob cousy ( top 25 player ever )
- john havlicek ( top 25 player ever )
- Kevin Mchale ( top 35 player ever )
- Robert Parish ( top 40 player ever )
- Dave Cowens ( top 40 player ever )
- Sam Jones ( top 50 player ever )

pierce a top 50-60 player ever.. for most of his career he wasnt really respected. not till he got KG and ray. then won a single title.

he won finals mvp but common. that coulda gone to any of the big 3. none of them really stood out

Champ
11-04-2013, 04:05 PM
behind

- bill russell ( top 5 player ever )
- Larry Bird ( top 10 player ever )
- bob cousy ( top 25 player ever )
- john havlicek ( top 25 player ever )
- Kevin Mchale ( top 35 player ever )
- Robert Parish ( top 40 player ever )
- Dave Cowens ( top 40 player ever )
- Sam Jones ( top 50 player ever )

pierce a top 50-60 player ever.. for most of his career he wasnt really respected. not till he got KG and ray. then won a single title.

he won finals mvp but common. that coulda gone to any of the big 3. none of them really stood out

Much love to the Chief, but it's really hard for me see him ranked over Pierce.

Parish was often the third and sometimes even the fourth head on the C's totem pole in the 80s, while Pierce spent the majority of his career as the de facto leader on his teams (albeit, many of them lousy).

Bobby13
11-04-2013, 05:49 PM
There are people who call him the greatest Celtic ever :lol probably the same people who call Kobe the greatest Laker

Papaya Petee
11-04-2013, 08:13 PM

Funny part about that, is all 3 of them outplayed Kobe Bryant in that series :roll:

1.) Larry Bird
2.) Bill Russell
3.) John Havlichek
4.) Paul Pierce
5.) Kevin McHale

aj1987
11-05-2013, 12:17 AM
Why are you guys ranking Bird over Russell?

L.Kizzle
11-05-2013, 12:23 AM
McHale, most overrated Celtic ever.

Sam Jones over Pierce.

L.Kizzle
11-05-2013, 12:28 AM

Parish was often the third and sometimes even the fourth head on the C's totem pole in the 80s, while Pierce spent the majority of his career as the de facto leader on his teams (albeit, many of them lousy).
He was 2nd in MVP voting one year. McHale didn't start til 1984.

kennethgriffin
11-05-2013, 12:57 AM

and if pierce was placed on the 80's celtics with bird/mchale/parish

he'd be the 4th head

saying a guy isnt as great because he was the 3rd or 4th best player on one of the top 2-3 deapest teams in history isnt really saying much

put prime robert parish on pierces celtics throughout the 00's and guess who'd run the show

parish was putting up 18/10 averages as 3rd option

imagine if he got touches

Champ
11-05-2013, 10:16 AM

he'd be the 4th head

saying a guy isnt as great because he was the 3rd or 4th best player on one of the top 2-3 deapest teams in history isnt really saying much

put prime robert parish on pierces celtics throughout the 00's and guess who'd run the show

I disagree that Parish would've been a higher option than Pierce. He was a terrific complementary player and knew his role, but was never a first option in a scoring/facilitating sense the way that Pierce was.

Champ
11-05-2013, 10:27 AM
He was 2nd in MVP voting one year. McHale didn't start til 1984.

Never finished second, as far as I can recall. Maybe top 5 one year, but I'm not certain.

McHale actually didn't start on a regular basis until 85, when Cornbread injured his knee.

But even as early as '83 he was emerging as the second option to Bird coming off the bench as a sixth man.

Fresh Kid
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
number 8

Champ
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Why are you guys ranking Bird over Russell?

My reasoning is that he was a better player.

I understand that your reasoning may be different, however.

aj1987
11-05-2013, 03:55 PM
My reasoning is that he was a better player.

I understand that your reasoning may be different, however.
Russell was an incredible rebounder (one of the greatest in the history of the sport) and was an incredible defender (top 3). He also was one of the best passing big man EVER. Bill Russell is arguably the GOAT (fplii!). Bird is borderline top 5. The only thing that Bird had over Russell is scoring.

So, why is Bird a better player than Russell?

NumberSix
11-05-2013, 04:09 PM

CelticBaller
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
top 5

Duranthebest
11-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Paul Pierce is the 4th greatest Celtic of all-time and 2nd best player the franchise has ever had.

Duranthebest
11-05-2013, 05:33 PM

he'd be the 4th head

And if you put Pierce on a team with Mchale and Parish with the # of FGA Bird took, he be one of the goat too. You see how stupid it is to play the place this player in that era game?

Fresh Kid
11-05-2013, 05:34 PM
:roll:

SamuraiSWISH
11-05-2013, 06:02 PM
Same answers as everyone else, probably behind these folks:

1) Bird
2) Russell
3) Hondo
4) Cousy
5) McHale
6) Pierce
7) S. Jones
8) Parish
9) Cowens
10) D. Johnson

11) Garnett

Round Mound
11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Russell was an incredible rebounder (one of the greatest in the history of the sport) and was an incredible defender (top 3). He also was one of the best passing big man EVER. Bill Russell is arguably the GOAT (fplii!). Bird is borderline top 5. The only thing that Bird had over Russell is scoring.

So, why is Bird a better player than Russell?

Bird Was a Much Better Passer and Creator of Offense than Russell.

Russel Was The Better Defender and Rebounder but Bird Was The Better Scorer, Shooter, Clutch Shooter, FT Shooter, 3-Point Shooter, Creator of Offense and Passer.

La Frescobaldi
11-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Havlicek once again getting little/ no attention because ish apparently has no knowledge of that man.
Sam Jones even worse neglect on here.

cryin' shame is what that is.

Champ
11-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Havlicek once again getting little/ no attention because ish apparently has no knowledge of that man.
Sam Jones even worse neglect on here.

cryin' shame is what that is.

I have no doubt Hondo is the best Celtic ever not name Bird or Russell.

Sam Jones was amazing, as well, and has a strong case for the top 5. He strikes me as the most comparable to Pierce among the list in terms of his skill set.

Champ
11-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Bird Was a Much Better Passer and Creator of Offense than Russell.

Russel Was The Better Defender and Rebounder but Bird Was The Better Scorer, Shooter, Clutch Shooter, FT Shooter, 3-Point Shooter, Creator of Offense and Passer.

I think RM covered it well. Bird had just a much more varied and complete skill set. I would also add his off-hand strengths to the list.

Russell gets the nod on defense, but Bird was also an excellent help defender and one of the best defensive rebounding forwards of all-time.

Both players exhibited superior leadership, clutch play, tenacity, and an unflinching will to win, so the intangibles are really a push.

You could add rings and MVPs to the mix and I wouldn't argue the point, but Bird played in a different, more competitive era, and came very close to winning additional rings and MVPs, as well.