PDA

View Full Version : Is transportation the last problem humanity faces?

sundizz
11-06-2013, 04:53 PM
I get that there are a lot more world problems...but i'm focusing on developed countries and the standard of living. We've come a long way to where being poor nowadays means a roof over your head, access to all the information in the world, general safety, general sanitation and to a degree general healthcare being available.

As an example of what I consider poor/normal in America..a teacher/retail worker/fast food employee making 28k. Not balling, but has enough to not be worried about Haslow's first/second level (physiological needs, and safety).

Back in the olden days the main problem was that people had to spend all day farming to get food. We solved that problem with technology. Nowadays, "work" doesn't involve the entire community coming together to solve a base need. Rather, it is basically so that we're entertained with all our free time.

Free time is our most valuable commodity. The biggest chunk for most people that is taken from free time comes via the time consumed during transport. I can only imagine in 150 years when transport means no such thing as a traffic jam. Would be so nice plugging in a friends house to visit...and playing Fun Run while the transport device automatically no hands took me there.

Is there a bigger issue to free time than solving this problem of transportation? Let's be cereal...people care more because of the free time part of it than the inherent environmental reasons.

Theoo
11-06-2013, 04:54 PM
i just want avaters again

gigantes
11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
as impressive as all that is, it

Swaggin916
11-06-2013, 05:04 PM
traffic/stress free means of transportation will cut down on a lot of negative collective energy/emotions. Go in your car, and traffic sucks... take public transportation and it takes just as long to get there in some places and you may have to deal with people you'd rather never see in your life. The goal should be efficiently travel in our own space. Healthiest option for human happiness. There is no reason at one point that everyone shoudln't get a car that will last a lifetime if it's taken care of. Anything you want on top of that is your business.

OhNoTimNoSho
11-06-2013, 05:07 PM
transportation? You think traffic is the final problem of humanity?

Overpopulation and resources bro, those are the final problems of people and it will decide our fate as species.

sundizz
11-06-2013, 05:16 PM
transportation? You think traffic is the final problem of humanity?

Overpopulation and resources bro, those are the final problems of people and it will decide our fate as species.

I agree those are more species threatening problems. However, I was speaking more broadly in terms of progress. When we created the steam engine we didn't think about the impact it would on other areas...just that the quality of life is greater.

We could easily get rid of traffic and still our species becomes exist..not saying their are exclusive to each other.

Sometimes I don't know if those problems are overstated or understated. The resources we use keep changing. Interestingly enough, our main resource (oil) still isn't fully understood by the scientific community. There are two different theories on how oil comes to be (via dead organisms yada yada hundreds of thousands of years, and directly from the earth itself). However, driving around America you see how absolutely vast this country is. This country has 300 million people, but could easily support 20 billion (purely in terms of housing, not other resources). The amount of undeveloped space even in California is staggering. If we didn't need to dedicate space to making food (see vertical farming), then the possibilities are endless.

macmac
11-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Lol our ocean is a radioactive waste and our main concern is traffic jams?

gigantes
11-06-2013, 05:35 PM
@sundizz,
the possibilities certainly aren't endless, and the idea that the US supporting the conventional standard of living could house exponentially more people is merely cotton candy, heavy on the corn syrup.

what's clear is that people have the need for 'positivity' and the idea that boundaries are endless. you might ask where such needs come from, since i don't believe our ancestors had them. that's more of a modern sickness, i'd say.

what you said about the steam engine is true, though... a huge paradigm right there.

Scholar
11-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Final life-altering problem humans will hopefully deal with is premature death due to various sicknesses. Maybe cancer won't be a big deal in 1-2 centuries as it is now.

Or maybe we blow ourselves up in some ridiculous war to see which nation gets the last bit of fossil fuel.

Out_In_Utah
11-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Sex robots should be the main concern.

miller-time
11-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Anti-biotic resistance is looming.

KevinNYC
11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
However, driving around America you see how absolutely vast this country is. This country has 300 million people, but could easily support 20 billion (purely in terms of housing, not other resources). The amount of undeveloped space even in California is staggering. If we didn't need to dedicate space to making food (see vertical farming), then the possibilities are endless.

Support? I think you mean something like store. Where do we get the water for all those people and the farming needed to support them?

Also, it's Maslow, Abraham Maslow.

tmacattack33
11-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Interedasting...

Sorry but i'm too stupid too contribute...imma go to the NBA Board to talk about how bad Carmelo is playing or something.