PDA

View Full Version : Can Klay Thompson reach Prime Ray Allen's level?

Ca$H
11-07-2013, 04:05 AM
For those of you who have actually watched the new and improved Klay Thompson this season, can Klay Thompson ever be as good as prime Ray Allen? What does he have to improve on to reach that level? I actually think Klay is already way better defensively than prime Ray Allen.

Budadiiii
11-07-2013, 04:18 AM
Right now hes better than prime Ray Allen.

Ray allen never even had a prime. Dude played good basketball for a couple of years but was nowhere near a franchise changing player. Glorified role player. Not sure when it became cool to hype up Ray Allen, but I don't follow those stupid trends and I refuse to sit and watch you idiots talk out of your ass subconsciously pushing your agenda trying desperately to prove your worth through other human beings bla bla bla....

Scum bags

Trentknicks
11-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Let's see if he can score without the defense being focused on 3 players on his team before him first. Being good defensively gives him a good chance though.

As long as he doesn't get in any more fights and daddy takes away his pocket money he may :oldlol: , but prime Ray was pretty decent.

red1
11-07-2013, 04:28 AM

Ray allen never even had a prime. Dude played good basketball for a couple of years but was nowhere near a franchise changing player. Glorified role player. Not sure when it became cool to hype up Ray Allen, but I don't follow those stupid trends and I refuse to sit and watch you idiots talk out of your ass subconsciously pushing your agenda trying desperately to prove your worth through other human beings bla bla bla....

Scum bags
says the 18 year old who didnt watch allen play a single game in his prime

SyRyanYang
11-07-2013, 04:43 AM
Prime Ray? No
Slightly over Prime Ray, yes.
He's probably already a better defender than Allen ever was though.

SacJB Shady
11-07-2013, 04:44 AM
yes

LEFT4DEAD
11-07-2013, 04:46 AM
Prime Ray? No
Slightly over Prime Ray, yes.
He's probably already a better defender than Allen ever was though.
What?! Ray Allen was able to guard effectively prime Kobe Bryant in the finals with Boston, so cut the bullshit.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-07-2013, 04:47 AM
No, he won't.

Ca$H
11-07-2013, 04:51 AM
What?! Ray Allen was able to guard effectively prime Kobe Bryant in the finals with Boston, so cut the bullshit.

LOL. That was Thibs scheme and KG's help D. :facepalm at Ray guarding Kobe.

Ca$H
11-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Klay is already way better at defense than prime Ray and he is already a better post player than prime Ray.

SyRyanYang
11-07-2013, 04:57 AM

:roll:
Com'on.

First of all, Kobe chucked himself out of rhythm.
secondly, Paul did a better job guarding Kobe than Ray.
And most importantly, it was a collective success from Boston's team defense and a great defensive anchor in KG.

Was Ray a great defender in that series? Yes, absolutely. He was able to stay in front of Kobe during all times. But what Klay did so far this season is more impressive to me. He's also more versatile.

red1
11-07-2013, 04:59 AM
kids are so annoying :facepalm

LEFT4DEAD
11-07-2013, 05:00 AM
LOL. That was Thibs scheme and KG's help D. :facepalm at Ray guarding Kobe.
Kobe was scoring many points more with Pierce guarding him. There is an artikle about Allen's guarding Kobe in one of the finals, I will try to find it. I wonder have you even watched prime Allen at all. People see him now on the Heat where he is just a scoring threat and cant waste his energy on D, and guess he was always so bad defender. Thats not even close to truth. He was a respectable defender at least.

Ca$H
11-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Kobe was scoring many points more with Pierce guarding him. There is an artikle about Allen's guarding Kobe in one of the finals, I will try to find it. I wonder have you even watched prime Allen at all. People see him now on the Heat where he is just a scoring threat and cant waste his energy on D, and guess he was always so bad defender. Thats not even close to truth. He was a respectable defender at least.

All I know is Kobe always smoked Ray Allen on the sonics (which was his prime)

Ca$H
11-07-2013, 05:03 AM

Bro. Ray Allen's peak years 04-05 and 05-06 are really not that impressive.

LEFT4DEAD
11-07-2013, 05:18 AM
All I know is Kobe always smoked Ray Allen on the sonics (which was his prime)
See, you dont know shit about anything. Ray Allen was neck to neck with Kobe whenever they met. They had so many classic matchups, where both had some big numbers.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2861/tb35.png

Ca$H
11-07-2013, 05:26 AM
See, you dont know shit about anything. Ray Allen was neck to neck with Kobe whenever they met. They had so many classic matchups, where both had some big numbers.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2861/tb35.png

:biggums: So you are saying I was right. Ray Allen can't defend Kobe.

LEFT4DEAD
11-07-2013, 05:37 AM
:biggums: So you are saying I was right. Ray Allen can't defend Kobe.
43%FG says that Ray Allen most surely can guard Kobe.
And tell me, what happened with that "Kobe smoked Allen when he was on Sonics" talk?

DJ Leon Smith
11-07-2013, 06:31 AM
43%FG says that Ray Allen most surely can guard Kobe.
And tell me, what happened with that "Kobe smoked Allen when he was on Sonics" talk?

Quote for emphasis. Ray also called out Kobe when he was in his "I can do it without Shaq" mode and totally nailed it.

"He's going to be very selfish," Allen said of Bryant. "And he feels like he needs to show this league and the people in this country that he is better without Shaq. He can win championships without Shaq. So offensively, he's going to jump out and say, 'I can average 30 points. I can still carry the load on this team.'

"If Kobe doesn't see he needs two and a half good players to be a legitimate playoff contender or win a championship, in about a year or two he'll be calling out to Jerry Buss that 'We need some help in here,' or 'Trade me,' " Allen said. "And we'll all be saying, 'I told you so,' when he says that."

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2008/06/02/the-ray-allen-kobe-feud/

shallehalle
11-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Quote for emphasis. Ray also called out Kobe when he was in his "I can do it without Shaq" mode and totally nailed it.

"He's going to be very selfish," Allen said of Bryant. "And he feels like he needs to show this league and the people in this country that he is better without Shaq. He can win championships without Shaq. So offensively, he's going to jump out and say, 'I can average 30 points. I can still carry the load on this team.'

"If Kobe doesn't see he needs two and a half good players to be a legitimate playoff contender or win a championship, in about a year or two he'll be calling out to Jerry Buss that 'We need some help in here,' or 'Trade me,' " Allen said. "And we'll all be saying, 'I told you so,' when he says that."

wow :bowdown:

LEFT4DEAD
11-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Thank you, this explains everything. Ray Allen was always a very smart player, and this prediction is just :bowdown:

juju151111
11-07-2013, 08:05 AM

Scum bags
Hype up Ray Allen? Ate you retarded? Did you even watch Prime ray Allen. Prime Ray could actually drive and get to the line. When Klay shot not falling he doesn't do anything else.

KayHaven
11-07-2013, 09:12 AM
I can't believe the responses in this thread:facepalm

NauruDude
11-07-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm pretty sure the Sonics had already moved to OKC when Ray Allen played for them.

So he played for Thunder but never Sonics

Bigsmoke
11-07-2013, 10:34 AM
He can

Ray Allen is overrated on ISH anyway

juju151111
11-07-2013, 11:18 AM
He can

Ray Allen is overrated on ISH anyway
What overrated about him.

tmacattack33
11-07-2013, 11:22 AM
I don't think so.

Allen's off the ball movement is legendary. His passing is very good. He used to be able to create off the dribble too.

I mean, anyone CAN POSSIBLY reach pretty high levels though. Michael Carter Williams could become an elite PG. Who knows.

Go Getter
11-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Bro. Ray Allen's peak years 04-05 and 05-06 are really not that impressive.
:biggums:

Mass Debator
11-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Lol Klay has had an inconsistent run with a few big games. Let's wait until he has an average of over 20ppg to put him in the same conversation. Actually, let's not. Let's wait until he becomes a #1 option and see how he handles the ball and pressure. He's not on prime Allen's level yet. I'd say his post/mid-range game will and maybe already eclipsed Allen's but not his off-ball, play making, defense, and driving game. Don't think he'll ever be as good as prime Ray. A 20/4/4 at best.

sundizz
11-07-2013, 12:12 PM

Funny enough this was said in the summer. The next time kobe and ray saw each other was a preseason game. Then the block happened. Ray one on one fast break against kobe. Kobe met him at the top and just destroyed him.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vCrvCbh26K8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvCrvCbh26K8

gyu
11-07-2013, 12:47 PM
I remember Ray did guard Kobe really well in the finals, I was impressed. On the other end, they had Derek Fisher guarding Ray though...

DJ Leon Smith
11-08-2013, 07:32 AM
Funny enough this was said in the summer. The next time kobe and ray saw each other was a preseason game. Then the block happened. Ray one on one fast break against kobe. Kobe met him at the top and just destroyed him.

You're right, being blocked in a pre-season game is getting destroyed and totally devalues any predictions that Ray made about Kobe that ended up coming true. Nailed it.

All Net
11-08-2013, 08:00 AM
He could yeah as he plays both side of the ball.

#number6ix#
11-08-2013, 11:31 AM
He could reach it... Ray Allen is one of the hardest working players in nba...

juju151111
11-08-2013, 11:32 AM
He could reach it... Ray Allen is one of the hardest working players in nba...
I think so, but he needs to improve at trying to take it to the basket. He disappears when his shots not falling offensively, but he is a above average defender.

kurple
11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
:coleman:

scm5
11-08-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't know how this topic switched to Kobe vs Ray Allen, but I'd like to add my two cents on the topic.

Ray Allen's defense on Kobe is more about his offensive game than about his actual defense. Kobe tired himself chasing Ray around screens much like he did against Rip in Detroit. Ray Allen's actual defense isn't all that great, it's solid though.

Watching Klay play this season leaves no doubt in my mind that Klay will be able to have seasons of 25ppg+, but there is so much more to the game than that. Ray Allen is a much better rebounder and playmaker than Klay is. Klay is a very poor rebounder.

bizil
11-08-2013, 01:04 PM
Gotta keep in mind prime Ray Allen was an excellent athlete in his prime too who was underrated for his slashing and finishing ability. Also gotta keep in mind Ray could run the PG effectively as well too. And even though Ray wasn't a lockdown defender, he was a good solid defender. Right now, Klay to me is more in the mold of a Dale Ellis. Which is damn good as well. Ellis at his best was averaging 25-28 points a night and making All-Star games. But for Klay to reach Ray's level, he's got to improve his all around game. If not, u are looking at a Dale Ellis kind of SG. And Klay could even expand on what Ellis did. And size wise, Klay is more like Ellis too. Ray was an SG whose secondary position was actually some PG in his prime to peak Milwaukee and Seattle years. Klay and Ellis are more swingmen SG-SF types.

ZMonkey11
11-08-2013, 01:05 PM

Fail to see the funny part or why this is relevant.

And on this thread. Pathetic. Klay Thompson doesn't have close to the game Ray Ray had. Breaking 3 pt record if he plays long enough, maybe. But to take what was said in another thread and turn it into this....smh.

The Iron Sheik
11-08-2013, 01:07 PM
You're right, being blocked in a pre-season game is getting destroyed and totally devalues any predictions that Ray made about Kobe that ended up coming true. Nailed it.

yup he was right on the money about kobe winning 2 more championships without shaq

Boston C's
05-17-2014, 01:47 AM
wow I can't believe this was actualyl a discussion to some ppl :lol

shows they never watched a prime ray allen

russwest0
05-17-2014, 01:49 AM
Bradley Beal would be a better person to have this debate with.

aj1987
05-17-2014, 02:00 AM
wow I can't believe this was actualyl a discussion to some ppl :lol

shows they never watched a prime ray allen
This! SMDH! :facepalm

Prime Ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Klay and it's not even close. Heck, even current Ray has more moves on the offensive end than Klay.

J Shuttlesworth
05-17-2014, 02:00 AM

Scum bags
Absolutely pathetic. You must have started watching the game 2 years ago. Never speak on this forum again

Rocketswin2013
05-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Ray Allen is easily one of the worst defenders as a starter, for any team in NBA history. This dude's probably the worst defending all-star in league history. On those Sonic and most of those Bucks teams, where he was putting up great stats, he was dogging it defensively.

In 2006,one of his better offensive years, he had an unheard of -0.3 DWS and 116 DRTG...........That's...Just amazingly awful.

Hell, look at this, from 2012.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2012/11/14/ray-allen-biggest-reason-for-heat-defense/

They struggle as a defense when they are on the perimeter.
According to ESPN.com, the Heat are allowing 109 points per 100 possessions with Allen on the floor and allow only 97.7 points per 100 possessions when Allen is on the bench. Allen is still recovering from ankle surgery he had during the off-season and is still trying to acclimate himself to the Heat’s defensive system, but he clearly makes them a better offensive team but a worse defensive team. Opposing teams are shooting 52 percent from the field and 41 percent from the three point line when Allen is playing.

You would be surprised, how off the hook people get for defense over the years.

Boston C's
05-17-2014, 02:04 AM
This! SMDH! :facepalm

Prime Ray >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Klay and it's not even close. Heck, even current Ray has more moves on the offensive end than Klay.

shit is an insult...klay has yet to make an all star team, when he makes multiple all star games has 10 straight yrs of 20 plus ppg and is a franchise player maybe just maybe we can bring this back up

Boston C's
05-17-2014, 02:05 AM
Bradley Beal would be a better person to have this debate with.

this

ThePhantomCreep
05-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Ray Allen is easily one of the worst defenders as a starter, for any team in NBA history. This dude's probably the worst defending all-star in league history. On those Sonic and most of those Bucks teams, where he was putting up great stats, he was dogging it defensively.

In 2006,one of his better offensive years, he had an unheard of -0.3 DWS and 116 DRTG...........That's...Just amazingly awful.

Hell, look at this, from 2012.

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2012/11/14/ray-allen-biggest-reason-for-heat-defense/

You would be surprised, how off the hook people get for defense over the years.

Lol @ using a bullshit statistic completely dependent on how good the team is defensively. Unless you think Allen briefly, magically became an elite defender in 2008, when his DWS was 4.1. Those Sonics were trash defensively, bottom of the league, no one's DRTG and DWS would look good playing for them. Allen overall was a good defender in his prime.

NZStreetBaller
05-17-2014, 04:54 AM

Scum bags

was the mass insult an attetion seeking thing or a natural A$$hole thing??

NZStreetBaller
05-17-2014, 04:55 AM
I think what makes Ray Allen Ray Allen is his 3 point shooting and his clutchness so no Klay aint there

Solefade
05-17-2014, 04:57 AM
bradley beal is better

bdreason
05-17-2014, 05:06 AM
He can be better than Ray Allen. And no, I'm not a kid.

MiseryCityTexas
05-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Ray Allen did a lot more than just shoot threes in the absolute prime of his career. Can pretty much tell people only watched Allen play ball in his Celtics years and afterwards SMH....

Marlo_Stanfield
05-17-2014, 08:27 AM
only player i could see becoming as good or close to as good as Allen on the SG position is Bradley Beal. dude is a monster, very humble,loves the game and already has the purest midrange jumpshot and NICE three pointer in the league.
at age 20:biggums:

RIP CITY
05-17-2014, 08:29 AM
No. Ray Allen was more athletic, better shooter, much better at creating his own shot, better passer and just as good of a defender (alot better when he put his mind to it). Klay Thompson is a limited player, he's an excellent shooter but there is nothing special about him otherwise. As of right now, he's not very consistent Playoff performer either, I think he's too shy (for lack of a better word) to become a borderline superstar like Allen was. Allen is one of the clutchest shooters ever, Thompson doesn't have the mentality to become that clutch.

Personally I think Klay Thompson is banging his head on his ceiling already, I don't think he's going to get much better than he is now.

Sharmer
05-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Terrible thread, Ray by miles.

Frozen1
05-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Lots of 15 year olds here;

Killbot
05-17-2014, 11:00 AM
No. He needs to improve his offensive skill set first.

Rocketswin2013
05-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Lol @ using a bullshit statistic completely dependent on how good the team is defensively. Unless you think Allen briefly, magically became an elite defender in 2008, when his DWS was 4.1. Those Sonics were trash defensively, bottom of the league, no one's DRTG and DWS would look good playing for them. Allen overall was a good defender in his prime.
LOL. You just ignored the fact that the Heat were, and still ARE a MUCH worse defensive team with him on the court. And Ray Allen was ALWAYS the weak link defensively on the Celtics. He was one of the known worst defenders on the team.

And DRTG and DWS IS NOT dependant on team's defensive success like you may think. The Sonics in, were +2 though +4 better with him off the court. He was probably the worst defender on a historically bad defensive team. Dude has and always will be awful at it but conistently gets a pass.

Killbot
05-17-2014, 12:15 PM
LOL. You just ignored the fact that the Heat were, and still ARE a MUCH worse defensive team with him on the court. And Ray Allen was ALWAYS the weak link defensively on the Celtics. He was one of the known worst defenders on the team.

It's called being old

Fudge
05-17-2014, 12:17 PM

Scum bags
:roll:

FREE BUDADIIII

tontoz
05-17-2014, 12:47 PM

This.

Allen averaged over 20 ppg for 9 straight season. Klay has never done it for the run and gun Warriors. He doesnt rebound or pass either.

Ca$H
01-24-2015, 10:55 PM
This.

Allen averaged over 20 ppg for 9 straight season. Klay has never done it for the run and gun Warriors. He doesnt rebound or pass either.

LOL..

KNOW1EDGE
01-24-2015, 11:41 PM
If you are 14 you aren't allowed to comment on Ray Allen.

Buddai is worthless

Papaya Petee
01-25-2015, 12:21 AM
Oh ok, so a 1 night explosion and people are bumping this thread thinking we were stupid when we said Klay wont reach Prime Rays level?

Because he still won't....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhfp3f_3-ec Past his Prime Allen doing it in the PLAYOFFS against one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. If you want 1 game to base a comparison.

Klay is impressive, don't get me wrong, but at 22\4\4, Ray Allen has done this for about 9 years.

Smoke117
01-25-2015, 12:26 AM
Oh ok, so a 1 night explosion and people are bumping this thread thinking we were stupid when we said Klay wont reach Prime Rays level?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhfp3f_3-ec Past his Prime Allen doing it in the PLAYOFFS against one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. If you want 1 game to base a comparison.

Klay is impressive, don't get me wrong, but at 22\4\4, Ray Allen has done this for about 9 years.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/JJatFSU/The-Rock-Clapping-Reaction-Gif.gif

Clyde
01-25-2015, 03:27 AM

Scum bags

:facepalm kids these days.

3ball
01-25-2015, 03:30 AM

Exactly... and then after he reaches Ray Allen's level, Klay will still need to increase his playoff scoring almost 30% more to reach Reggie Miller's level.

dreamwarrior
01-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Prime Ray Allen had handles and an inside game. He was nearly as good as out of prime Wade.

Real Men Wear Green
01-25-2015, 09:42 AM
It would be unfair to say that Thompson can't reach Allen's level but as of yet he hasn't. He's a much better defender than Allen but Allen was like a lot of superstars that could defend when he had to. As much credit as Pierce gets for stopping Bryant in the big Game 3 (or was it 4? Memory is a little hazy, sorry) second-half comeback back in 2008 Ray Allen was the main defender on Bryant for the overall series and he did a good job. Because Thompson plays with Steph Curry we won't know if he is capable of carrying a team offensively like Allen did and the most important pro-Allen difference, to me, is what Ray Allen did in the clutch. If we're going to list players that you fear more shooting in the clutch the list that you would even consider is short: Miller, MJ, West, Bird. And 3 of those guys are amongst the greatest of all time. It's not totally fair to Thompson because he hasn't had Ray's number of clutch opportunities but it would be even more unfair to assume he comes through like Ray Allen has come through.

Summing up: Yes, Klay Thompson "can" reach the Ray Allen level but I don't believe he will gain Allen's clutch credentials and he probably won't show Allen's scoring ability so long as Steph Curry is playing at an MVP level. But if G State can make some finals and win a Championship people won't care so much that he didn't equal Allen's stats.

iamgine
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
I'd say Curry is on prime/peak Allen level.

So the question just becomes has Klay reach Curry level?

qrich
01-25-2015, 09:55 AM
He can, but he has a ways to go. Defensively, he is probably a squeak above Ray, and his jumper isn't far off. Allen, though, was world's better at attacking, and a much smarter player. His shot wasn't falling, he'd attack and get to the line.

Ca$H
05-29-2016, 04:14 PM
No, he won't.

:oldlol:

Ca$H
05-29-2016, 04:19 PM

aj1987
05-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Why are you laughing? I'm assuming that you never actually saw a prime Allen play. Dude was an absolute beast. Could create his own shot at will and had an amazingly quick release. Dude was a 3pt monster when there wasn't as much emphasis on the 3pt game as today.

Allen, if he was getting as many open looks as Curry and Klay, would average 45% on 10 tries a game. Dude had one of the purest and quickest releases EVER!

tpols
05-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Why are you laughing? I'm assuming that you never actually saw a prime Allen play. Dude was an absolute beast. Could create his own shot at will and had an amazingly quick release. Dude was a 3pt monster when there wasn't as much emphasis on the 3pt game as today.

Allen, if he was getting as many open looks as Curry and Klay, would average 45% on 10 tries a game. Dude had one of the purest and quickest releases EVER!

curry and klay havent been getting many open looks at all though .. klay in particular was making circus shots while being draped.

Never seen anything like that out of ray allen.

aj1987
05-29-2016, 05:33 PM
curry and klay havent been getting many open looks at all though .. klay in particular was making circus shots while being draped.

Really? How much of Allen's career have you actually watched? Not being rude, but come on, dude. Allen was averaging over 42% on nearly 7 3's a game before the rule changes (going off of memory). He did that while he was the best player on his team and the one who handled the ball the most. Klay never even came close to doing what Allen actually did in '01/'02 don't remember the year without looking it up. The season during which he went ape shit in the PO's. Dude was a proper monster and a threat even during his late 30's.

Smoke117
05-29-2016, 05:34 PM

lol Ray was making all kinds of ridiculous shots in that 51 point performance alone vs the Bulls in the playoffs . You never saw it because you don't want to see it. You clearly have some bias against Ray or frankly didn't watch him play much because you seem to have a very low understanding of his game...so low that you should probably just stop talking about him altogether.

tpols
05-29-2016, 05:44 PM
lol Ray was making all kinds of ridiculous shots in that 51 point performance alone vs the Bulls in the playoffs . You never saw it because you don't want to see it. You clearly have some bias against Ray or frankly didn't watch him play much because you seem to have a very low understanding of his game...so low that you should probably just stop talking about him altogether.

that was a non elimination, triple OT game against the baby Bulls in the first round.

I hold this type of performance, do or die, against an elite contender in the WCFs in MUCH higher regard.

aj1987
05-29-2016, 06:11 PM
that was a non elimination, triple OT game against the baby Bulls in the first round.

I hold this type of performance, do or die, against an elite contender in the WCFs in MUCH higher regard.
Cool story, bro. Allen's got you covered. Destroyed Kobe.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200806170BOS.html