PDA

View Full Version : FDA moves to ban trans fats from food, citing health concerns.

longhornfan1234
11-07-2013, 03:46 PM
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fda-wants-ban-trans-fats-food-8C11551559

The Food and Drug Administration has declared war on trans fats. The government agency said Thursday it would require food makers to gradually phase out artificial trans fats ? the artery-clogging ingredient found in crackers, cookies, pizza and many other baked goods.

gigantes
11-07-2013, 03:56 PM
the irony being that those same foods mentioned are probably far worse health risks than trans fat.

Jailblazers7
11-07-2013, 03:57 PM
6 Graphs that Show Why the "War" on Fat was a Huge Mistake (http://authoritynutrition.com/6-graphs-the-war-on-fat-was-a-mistake/)

^Pretty interesting

OldSkoolball#52
11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
6 Graphs that Show Why the "War" on Fat was a Huge Mistake (http://authoritynutrition.com/6-graphs-the-war-on-fat-was-a-mistake/)

^Pretty interesting

"If anything, the countries eating more saturated fat have a lower risk of dying from heart disease"

Hate statements like these. Countries where people do not necessarily have the means/access to dine on high saturated fat contents frequently may still have plenty of other aggravating factors for heart disease. Also, of course people in countries with butter and cheese and foie gras cuisines are gonna did less frequently of heart disease. They die less frequently of everything, due to superior medical treatments.

The inference the author of that article implies with the use of that quote is very flawed.

highwhey
11-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Well the chemical process of hydrogenating unsaturated fats tends to make these resulting trans fats a bigger contributor to heart disease than organic saturated fats.

so yeah...trans fats are worse than saturated fats...but that's no big surprise, if anything it is just a continuous trend. When man processes anything organic, the resulting product tends to be unhealthy.

Jailblazers7
11-07-2013, 05:29 PM
"If anything, the countries eating more saturated fat have a lower risk of dying from heart disease"

Hate statements like these. Countries where people do not necessarily have the means/access to dine on high saturated fat contents frequently may still have plenty of other aggravating factors for heart disease. Also, of course people in countries with butter and cheese and foie gras cuisines are gonna did less frequently of heart disease. They die less frequently of everything, due to superior medical treatments.

The inference the author of that article implies with the use of that quote is very flawed.

Yeah, that first graph really makes the "correlation does not equal causation" mistake but most of the others are interesting. I tried to find the article I was really looking for from the other day but I couldn't track it down. What it really focused on was that we tried to eliminate fat in our diet at the expense of a massive increase in sugar intake, which is fueling the current obesity levels.

gigantes
11-07-2013, 06:46 PM
not just sugar, but empty calories, mostly in the form of processed grains and extra fat.

pay now or pay later... your choice.

hateraid
11-07-2013, 06:55 PM
the irony being that those same foods mentioned are probably far worse health risks than trans fat.

Even more ironic, FDA allows 2% mouse fecal matter in foods and is still declared consumable

DeuceWallaces
11-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Lol it does not take 35 dollars a day to get a healthy 2K calories.

niko
11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Lol it does not take 35 dollars a day to get a healthy 2K calories.
Not even close. Vegetables are fruits are cheap, cheaper than getting meat. Cooking is where a lot of the unhealthy part of the food is adding on with the frying and sauces, etc.

DeuceWallaces
11-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Well, it'll be tough to get 2K on veggies, but still. You can get certain proteins for fairly cheap.

highwhey
11-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Well, it'll be tough to get 2K on veggies, but still. You can get certain proteins for fairly cheap.
There's a local healthy food chain in phoenix that I shop at(smaller lines than walmart and good prices/selection). Back when I was eating healthy ~1800 calories a day, I was able to afford a weeks worth of food for $60 give or take. Skinless chicken, veggies, yams, brown rice, etc. $35 a day is expensive as hell

OldSkoolball#52
11-07-2013, 07:21 PM
there was a study that came out recently that found that you can feed yourself the standard american intake of 2,000+ kcals for ~ $3.50 a day by eating fast food. to get the same caloric intake via healthy diet required a $35 a day investment.

pay now or pay later... your choice.

*Study sponsored by the American Canabis Society

Principle Investigator = Steve-O "Big Hits" Lawrence, freshman philosophy major at UNLV

Info and stats sound totally reliable. I see no reason to question.

gigantes
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
yea, i screwed up on that one. trusted my source without vetting. she was wrong, and i failed to reason.

turns out it was 10%, not 10x. it was a university of washington study, btw.
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7734L620110804?irpc=932

gigantes
11-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Even more ironic, FDA allows 2% mouse fecal matter in foods and is still declared consumable
don

Dresta
11-08-2013, 12:02 AM
These morons really need to get their own lives and stop caring so much what other people put into their own bodies.

You can't keep infantalizing people and expect democracy to function even close to adequately.

JEFFERSON MONEY
11-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Retarded
Baking industry relies on hydrogenation

gigantes
11-08-2013, 12:10 AM
These morons really need to get their own lives and stop caring so much what other people put into their own bodies.

You can't keep infantalizing people and expect democracy to function even close to adequately.
it's not like it's the same group responsible for both things, dresta.

besides, if people really ARE infants, then they obviously need parenting.

furthermore, poor diet is costing the nation big bucks, and the problem's only getting worse. so it's a financial issue... a huge one.

Dresta
11-08-2013, 12:41 AM
it's not like it's the same group responsible for both things, dresta.

besides, if people really ARE infants, then they obviously need parenting.

furthermore, poor diet is costing the nation big bucks, and the problem's only getting worse. so it's a financial issue... a huge one.
Old people cost the nation big bucks. I guess we should start culling people at 70 then.

Yes, actual infants do need parenting, you won't catch me arguing with you there. But if you're just referring to people that are inferior and using that to justify curtailing the rights of everyone else, then you need to rethink whatever penchant you may have for democracy, because the two opinions are logically incongruous. If people are so inferior that they need to be looked after in this way, then what we need is an aristocracy, so superior people don't have to be dragged down by the idiocy of those incapable of looking after themselves. Equality doesn't work if you claim people are so unequal that some need to look after the rest.

gigantes
11-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Old people cost the nation big bucks. I guess we should start culling people at 70 then.

Yes, actual infants do need parenting, you won't catch me arguing with you there. But if you're just referring to people that are inferior and using that to justify curtailing the rights of everyone else, then you need to rethink whatever penchant you may have for democracy, because the two opinions are logically incongruous. If people are so inferior that they need to be looked after in this way, then what we need is an aristocracy, so superior people don't have to be dragged down by the idiocy of those incapable of looking after themselves. Equality doesn't work if you claim people are so unequal that some need to look after the rest.
you're the one who made the characterisation.

cuad
11-08-2013, 01:31 AM
hahaha

USA = grows and sells carbohydrates like rice, soybeans, and corn.

USA = wants to ban fats. note that fats != carbohydrates

hahaha

miller-time
11-08-2013, 02:00 AM

The difference is that treated like a disease "old" is unpreventable whereas obesity is.

Dresta
11-08-2013, 02:08 AM
The difference is that treated like a disease "old" is unpreventable whereas obesity is.
Yeah it is: you can die early and not desperately cling to life when it isn't worth living.

You can smoke, you can drink, you can eat trans-fats (well, not any more); you can do all sorts of things to shorten your life-span and do your bit for society. I don't see how clinging to life when you can't sustain yourself is any different to stuffing your face with trans-fats tbh, at least in regard to the harm it causes society, and the cost to the taxpayer.

You're simply picking the kind of self-indulgence that you agree with, and saying that one's ok, whereas those you disagree with aren't.

highwhey
11-08-2013, 02:12 AM
hahaha

hahaha
The FDA wants to ban "trans fats", they are basically a type of unsaturated fats that are hydrogenated. Also, fats are lipids not carbohydrates.

MadeFromDust
11-09-2013, 05:47 AM
Gee. THANKS oBOMMa :rolleyes:

OldSkoolball#52
11-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Gee. THANKS oBOMMa :rolleyes:

Im sure the next mass shooting is right around the corner too :(

Obama :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

/satire

Dresta
11-11-2013, 02:47 AM
Also, i wonder where an earth they pull stats like this from:

'The change could potentially prevent 20,000 heart attacks a year and 7,000 deaths, said FDA commissioner Margaret Hamburg.'

Are they assuming trans fats consumers are going to start consuming celery instead? What is it being replaced with? No mention is made. It is strange how government agencies can just pull stats out of their asses like this, and yet so many still lap it up.

And if preventing heart attacks is their concern, then why not ban TV? (yes i know the FDA can't do that, but the logic is the same). Nothing promotes idle and motionless behaviour as much as tv does, and constant physical inactivity is known to be one of the bigger causes of heart disease. It also discourages mental activity by providing most with an easier and less useful way of obtaining information than reading.

Ban TV! Ban it!!!

KevinNYC
11-11-2013, 03:22 AM

No, they are not. Or to put this another way, removing the trans fats will make these foods healthier. It doesn't mean you should base your diet around

Transfats are an artificial ingredient that increase the bad cholesterol while lowering the good cholesterol. There's probably not many other ingredients that do that.

Here's what the Mayo Clinic says

When it comes to fat, trans fat is considered by some doctors to be the worst type of fat. Unlike other fats, trans fat — also called trans-fatty acids — both raises your "bad" (LDL) cholesterol and lowers your "good" (HDL) cholesterol.

A high LDL cholesterol level in combination with a low HDL cholesterol level increases your risk of heart disease, the leading killer of men and women.

KevinNYC
11-11-2013, 03:32 AM
hahaha

hahaha

The american agriculture industry doesn't sell any fat? What?

KingBeasley08
11-11-2013, 03:37 AM
Dumb as shit, let people eat what they want

gigantes
11-11-2013, 06:11 AM
No, they are not. Or to put this another way, removing the trans fats will make these foods healthier. It doesn't mean you should base your diet around ...
my dear kevin--

my point was that in the ratio of consumed quantities of various substances right here, right now across the american diet, the relatively controlled amounts trans fats in proportion to the raging amounts of inflammatory foods is a spectacle and an epidemic.

all hail captain haddock.