PDA

View Full Version : [STRIKE] The Wilt Chamberlain Archive is gone until Google restores Youtube.

CavaliersFTW
11-07-2013, 08:57 PM
http://alvares.in/mario/f/2009/07/google-sucks-400x293.jpg

Quizno
11-07-2013, 09:02 PM
you really grabbed google by the balls with this! they'll have to comply with your demands! what will youtube do without minutes upon minutes of grainy black and white wilt chamberlain footage?! what will all the people watch in their spare time?! the downfall of youtube has finally come, and it's all because of you. you go, cavaliersftw. show them who's boss.

JimmyMcAdocious
11-07-2013, 09:05 PM
For real, tho, how do I get Google/YouTube to stop asking me if I want to use my username or email as my handle every single time I login to YouTube?

So ****ing annoying.

CavaliersFTW
11-07-2013, 09:09 PM
For real, tho, how do I get Google/YouTube to stop asking me if I want to use my username or email as my handle every single time I login to YouTube?

So ****ing annoying.
You can't, you HAVE to do it otherwise you will never be able to comment again - if you don't eventually your youtube channel/account will be deleted and so will any comments/videos/etc you ever made.

HoopsFanNumero1
11-07-2013, 09:14 PM
I don't really care about your videos but Google's pissing me off with all the recent changes trying to be hipster like removing the black bar from their home page and adding the stupid app drawer instead. Now it's this shit.

jongib369
11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
This is kind of pointless, at least in my opinion. TONS of people are already complaining about this. To the point that I doubt any people you persuade to sign will make any noticeable contribution to the amount of people signing these types of petitions....With the type of backlash youtube has gotten for making changes in the past and never going back, I have a feeling this is permanent....Unfortunately. Not telling you what to do, but I'd recommend putting the videos back up for people to watch but move on to other uploading sites for future projects.

Haven't they ever heard of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :confusedshrug:

CavaliersFTW
11-07-2013, 09:24 PM
This is kind of pointless, at least in my opinion. TONS of people are already complaining about this. To the point that I doubt any people you persuade to sign will make any noticeable contribution to the amount of people signing these types of petitions....With the type of backlash youtube has gotten for making changes in the past and never going back, I have a feeling this is permanent....Unfortunately. Not telling you what to do, but I'd recommend putting the videos back up for people to watch but move on to other uploading sites for future projects.

Haven't they ever heard of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." :confusedshrug:
It may be pointless in your opinion - but I'm not going to make my videos available to watch unless I'm able to be notified when people comment / share / etc about my uploads. If that function never returns, my videos will never return to Youtube. I made a Vimeo account today and will begin uploading videos to it over the next few days. If Youtube changes back so that channel creators have control over comments and comment feed activity again than I will restore my videos if not - I'm literally never reactivating my videos. I'm fully prepared for the fact that Google is likely not going to listen to the public vitriol.

inclinerator
11-07-2013, 09:30 PM
wait what happened?

HoopsFanNumero1
11-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Actually, I can see the point of forcing people to use their names. It vastly reduces the amount of troll comments, and that's why ESPN went the facebook route as well. My problem is that the layout just flat out sucks.

CavaliersFTW
11-07-2013, 09:36 PM
wait what happened?
See the video link I provided in the OP

Brokenbeat
11-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I have no idea what's going on, but people in the comments section are losing their sht, lol.

jongib369
11-07-2013, 09:53 PM
It may be pointless in your opinion - but I'm not going to make my videos available to watch unless I'm able to be notified when people comment / share / etc about my uploads. If that function never returns, my videos will never return to Youtube. I made a Vimeo account today and will begin uploading videos to it over the next few days. If Youtube changes back so that channel creators have control over comments and comment feed activity again than I will restore my videos if not - I'm literally never reactivating my videos. I'm fully prepared for the fact that Google is likely not going to listen to the public vitriol.
That's a shame, they need to stop making changes like this.... I was going to say it will kinda suck when you get about 1/5 the views you get now but seeing the direction google is going with youtube I doubt they'll be the top video uploading site for long lol

CavaliersFTW
11-07-2013, 10:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVGp8Z8Yb28

...note the dislikes

CavaliersFTW
11-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Google has now started banning accounts spreading the petition. We're witnessing big brother in action. :facepalm

HoopsFanNumero1
11-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Wow. How relevant is this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnUEp7GOyo) especially considering it was made in 2007.

Also, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo8o9Se_NVQ).

CavaliersFTW
11-07-2013, 10:41 PM
Wow. How relevant is this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnUEp7GOyo) especially considering it was made in 2007.

Also, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo8o9Se_NVQ).
:roll: :roll: :roll: the Hitler one!!!

Hitler is right on the money Youtube is killed dead - totally finished. Right now it is officially worse than myspace after myspace had to start becoming a music platform because facebook killed it. Only difference is nothing was forcing Google's hand to change Youtube. They done ****ed up on their own somehow. Today is a sad day for the internet. Rest In Peace Youtube. :violin:

avonbarksdale
11-07-2013, 11:17 PM
i am going to re upload all the videos onto my new channel

WILLTCHAMBERLAINARCHIVE

sundizz
11-08-2013, 12:50 AM
i am going to re upload all the videos onto my new channel

WILLTCHAMBERLAINARCHIVE

Lol. Yeah me, too. Good thing i saved them!

rhowen4
11-08-2013, 01:32 AM
how could this happen to me i made my mistakes got nowhere to run the night goes on but im fading away im sick of this life i just wanna scream how could this happen to me

fpliii
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Damn, well I wish you the best CavsFTW, be sure to link us to your new channel.

:eek:

Wow.

CavaliersFTW
11-08-2013, 05:40 PM
http://valleywag.gawker.com/youtube-cofounder-leaves-first-comment-in-8-years-clown-1460866687

The original creator of Youtube who uploaded the first Youtube video ever uploaded posted a comment until yesterday, it reads:

why the **** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?

https://www.youtube.com/user/jawed?feature=watch

Deuce Bigalow
11-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Wilt is a Dwight Howard type player in today's game.

CavaliersFTW
11-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Not a basketball player discussion thread Deuce, take it elsewhere, make a new thread about it if u want.

Rake2204
11-08-2013, 06:55 PM
It may be pointless in your opinion - but I'm not going to make my videos available to watch unless I'm able to be notified when people comment / share / etc about my uploads. If that function never returns, my videos will never return to Youtube. I made a Vimeo account today and will begin uploading videos to it over the next few days. If Youtube changes back so that channel creators have control over comments and comment feed activity again than I will restore my videos if not - I'm literally never reactivating my videos. I'm fully prepared for the fact that Google is likely not going to listen to the public vitriol.I know it's inconvenient, but the notifications still exist, yes? Only, they're through a Google+ account. I agree, I hate this change, but I still think there's a way to see comments on videos we upload.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-08-2013, 06:59 PM
I know it's inconvenient, but the notifications still exist, yes? Only, they're through a Google+ account. I agree, I hate this change, but I still think there's a way to see comments on videos we upload.

Through your email (gmail). I don't have a problem with the change other than having to sign up for google plus/link it to your YT account to comment.

CavaliersFTW
I know it's inconvenient, but the notifications still exist, yes? Only, they're through a Google+ account. I agree, I hate this change, but I still think there's a way to see comments on videos we upload.
No they do not exist. I tried testing by sending comments with my other YT/"Google plus" account and recieved no notifications whatsoever.

reppy
http://valleywag.gawker.com/youtube-cofounder-leaves-first-comment-in-8-years-clown-1460866687

The original creator of Youtube who uploaded the first Youtube video ever never posted a comment until yesterday, it reads:

http://i.imgur.com/8jeBsrZ.jpg

CavaliersFTW
11-08-2013, 07:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/8jeBsrZ.jpg
lol fixed

Rake2204
11-08-2013, 07:04 PM
No they do not exist. I tried testing by sending comments with my other YT/"Google plus" account and recieved no notifications whatsoever.Hmm, that seems contradictory to what I'd heard previously. I'll try to finally merge into a Google+ and report back.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-08-2013, 07:32 PM
I stand corrected. You can ONLY see comments posted to you (and in your videos) through google plus.

What a joke. :oldlol:

Rake2204
11-08-2013, 07:46 PM
I stand corrected. You can ONLY see comments posted to you (and in your videos) through google plus.

What a joke. :oldlol:Does your Google+ get a notification when someone comments on a video you uploaded?

CavaliersFTW
11-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Does your Google+ get a notification when someone comments on a video you uploaded?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTzv-6z7ihk

test it out on this video - anyone welcome to try - if I get notifications I'll let u guys know

You can either reply to my 'test' comment, or try posting a brand new comment on the video. Or try both.

Rake2204
11-08-2013, 09:56 PM
I feel like an old person trying to use the internet for the first time. I can't tell where I'm supposed to be in Google+ that will allow me to see YouTube notifications. There's too much going on. All I want, are my YouTube notifications.

Rake2204
11-08-2013, 10:04 PM
I found if I write on someone's video and check a box called something like "make comment public", that comment will show up on my Google+ feed. I can't find notifications otherwise yet though.

Rose'sACL
11-08-2013, 10:11 PM
google knows that people will not stop using youtube whatever changes they make even if they are really bad.
They just want you to use your real name and this is why this google+ shit is being connected to youtube. if you use your real name, they will get to charge advertisers more as they know more about you and can serve ads that are more suitable for you according to them.
Google must be top 5 most powerful companies in the world given how much info they have about most people. google is really turning into a evil company.

CavaliersFTW
11-08-2013, 10:11 PM
I feel like an old person trying to use the internet for the first time. I can't tell where I'm supposed to be in Google+ that will allow me to see YouTube notifications. There's too much going on. All I want, are my YouTube notifications.
Yeah, it isn't just you - I've been using computers every single day of my life since the age of 2 and to say I am computer literate compared to the average person would be a strong understatement. Google plus literally just blows ass, and is confusing - regardless of your age or computer literacy. It is just straight up trash, which is why it never caught on. The company is in complete denial that their google plus platform sucks but they know people aren't or weren't using it. This latest Youtube update that FORCES everyone to have a google+ account just to make youtube comments is basically them saying '**** you, if you won't use our product voluntarily we will force it upon you'.

CavaliersFTW
11-08-2013, 10:15 PM
google knows that people will not stop using youtube whatever changes they make even if they are really bad.
They just want you to use your real name and this is why this google+ shit is being connected to youtube. if you use your real name, they will get to charge advertisers more as they know more about you and can serve ads that are more suitable for you according to them.
Google must be top 5 most powerful companies in the world given how much info they have about most people.
Hell no, you've got it backwards. They don't give a flying f*ck about people's names they just want web traffic on GOOGLE PLUS. Don't be tricked into thinking for a second that 'using your real name' (as they put it, 'to filter bad comments') and whatever other nonsense was their primary motivation. Absolutely not, that shit is all secondary 'perks'. Their true primary motivation is Google plus.

Google plus, google plus, google plus, google plus, google plus. Why the **** do you think they kept pushing 'Google plus' onto casual youtubers every ****ing time they logged on the past year? They already had our names connected with our accounts. It's just nobody was cooperating and hitting 'okay make me your stupid google plus profile!'. Since we didn't cooperate, now we're being forced too.

Miller for 3
11-08-2013, 10:22 PM
FKCU YOU YOUTUBE AND FKCU YOU JEFF.

I heard Jeff might be making everyone log into ISH with their Google+ accounts.

GO FCUK UR SELF GOOGLE PLUS

9erempiree
11-08-2013, 10:30 PM
I knew Google + is a joke and I went to play with the site and it really does suck. They are trying to get our info.

CavaliersFTW
11-09-2013, 01:30 AM
After a few tests with some posters on here I'm going to try and give Google + a shot. Made some of my uploads public again.

Deuce Bigalow
11-09-2013, 01:57 AM
Dafaq is google plus?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-09-2013, 02:04 AM

A 3-4 inch taller version of Dwight Howard would be one hell of a player.

reppy
11-09-2013, 02:16 AM
lol fixed

:lol My bad, I thought you were intentionally quoting a line from The Trailer Boys. I always say it around the house, "I'm ever never..." so I thought you were doing the same. :D

andgar923
11-09-2013, 02:48 AM
Google sees Facebook as a threat, which is why they

CavaliersFTW
11-09-2013, 02:56 AM
Dafaq is google plus?
Log on to youtube and find out

andgar923
11-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Somebody mentioned that Google wants your personal info so they can better customize ads and sell

CavaliersFTW
11-09-2013, 03:36 AM
[QUOTE=andgar923]Somebody mentioned that Google wants your personal info so they can better customize ads and sell

andgar923
11-09-2013, 03:47 AM
http://endthelie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/big-google-is-watching-you.png

I didn

CavaliersFTW
11-09-2013, 04:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTq8TrA3hb4

:roll: :roll: :roll: :applause:

Rake2204
11-09-2013, 09:14 AM
I can't tell if I'm not getting all my notifications or people have just really cut back on writing comments. I wonder if I still get notified if a person unchecks the "make this public on my Google+ page" box.

magictricked
11-09-2013, 12:20 PM
http://alvares.in/mario/f/2009/07/google-sucks-400x293.jpg

This video posted by another Youtube Channel creator sums up all the reasons why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUL_UK4hVgk

Please be respectful of my strike and do not re-upload or share any videos that I have uploaded in the past and currently unlisted. Nothing I had on my channel has been deleted, but nothing is publicly available until further notice. Please sign this petition in an effort to help get Youtube restored back to it's original state. If Youtube never goes back, I will be uploading my content onto another platform in the near future such as Vimeo.

https://www.change.org/petitions/google-change-the-youtube-comment-section-back-to-its-original-form#share

Instead of a strike you should cancel your account. Tell them you want your money back

CavaliersFTW
11-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Instead of a strike you should cancel your account. Tell them you want your money back
People like you who look at Youtube as 'free' don't understand Youtube and Google.

Google has monetized Youtube and merged ad revenue and song recognition software etc. THAT is why my videos are 'free' for me to upload, because google has found a way to make money off of them because of the copyrighted songs I've used - ads show up and profit goes into googles pocket. People who activate monetization make even more money for google. So your snarky remark as if google wouldn't be phased by a strike from me or anyone because they are doing me this free favor is misguided - money is being generated by nearly all of my videos. While I alone won't be able to make any impact - If a significant portion of the Youtube creator channels went on an actual organized collective strike, Google would loose a MASSIVE amount of money. Google makes money off of us all, the 'free' service they provide us benefits them financially far more than it benefits us entertainment wise. Why the **** do you think they provide us the service, for our pleasure!? :oldlol: No, these recent terrible updates prove emphatically they are a corrupt corporation that hardly gives two flying f*cks about the consumer they care about the money aspect more than anything thus they are content with ****ing over everyone with this google plus bullshit to keep the checks flowing to their shitty web teams. And as others have pointed out, our names and specific information will make it easier for them track advertising and will increase web traffic to their failed google plus network.

Miller for 3
11-09-2013, 05:10 PM
OP, I'm boycotting all of your threads until you stop boycotting Google Plus. I think this will teach you a lesson you will never forget.

OBEY GOOGLE PLUS OR BE DESTROYED

pudman13
11-09-2013, 07:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTzv-6z7ihk

test it out on this video - anyone welcome to try - if I get notifications I'll let u guys know

You can either reply to my 'test' comment, or try posting a brand new comment on the video. Or try both.

It won't let me comment from my youtube username, only my REAL NAME, which I would gladly share with you or some other honest people, but I'm not putting out there in youtubeland forever. I really am going to miss your youtube videos, but I can see why you're so mad at them right now. This is complete garbage what they've done.

CavaliersFTW
11-09-2013, 07:13 PM
It won't let me comment from my youtube username, only my REAL NAME, which I would gladly share with you or some other honest people, but I'm not putting out there in youtubeland forever. I really am going to miss your youtube videos, but I can see why you're so mad at them right now. This is complete garbage what they've done.
So basically I've lost the ability to receive feedback from probably 90% of my subscribers who (very understandably) don't want to switch to 'google plus' and expose their real name. :facepalm

Thanks google. ****ing ******s.

Psileas
11-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Pardon the ignorance, since I know and care very little about Google+, are you required to give more info than your real name? In other words, how do they figure out what your name is?

Cavs, when you open a Vimeo (or wherever) archive, inform us.

WesWelkerACL
11-09-2013, 07:21 PM

So ****ing annoying.

lol so true! I wish there was an alternative to youtube.

OhNoTimNoSho
11-09-2013, 07:51 PM
Has google contacted begging you to come back yet? I don't know how they're still running their daily operation with you.

CavaliersFTW
11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Has google contacted begging you to come back yet? I don't know how they're still running their daily operation with you.
Mocking me just means you read the thread title but didn't read all of my posts within the thread. Good for you champ, you really know what's going on :cheers:

pudman13
11-10-2013, 02:43 PM
So basically I've lost the ability to receive feedback from probably 90% of my subscribers who (very understandably) don't want to switch to 'google plus' and expose their real name.

Here's the complicating factor for me. I use gmail for my personal e-mail, and at this point in my life, it would be such a pain in the butt to change that I feel I can't even do that in protest. If youtube wasn't connected to my e-mail there would be some kind of fudge probably.

Anyway...I really am sorry to lose your videos. I hope there's some reasonable solution to this problem.

CavaliersFTW
11-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Here's the complicating factor for me. I use gmail for my personal e-mail, and at this point in my life, it would be such a pain in the butt to change that I feel I can't even do that in protest. If youtube wasn't connected to my e-mail there would be some kind of fudge probably.

Anyway...I really am sorry to lose your videos. I hope there's some reasonable solution to this problem.
I reactivated the channel, I made some of the vids public again in an effort to try google plus out after some other posters on here helped me test out how the notifications work. So far I'm getting notifications via google+. But I have to say, there is a LOT less activity on my channel now that Google+ has been stuffed down everyone's throats. I think I lost the majority of people who used to interact with my channel - because hardly anyone wants to use google plus, and I don't blame them.

CavaliersFTW
11-10-2013, 03:02 PM
i'm literally sure that google will change it back once they find out the wilt chamberlain archive is on strike
I'm literally sure that you didn't read any posts in this thread, just the thread title.

9erempiree
11-10-2013, 04:05 PM
I reactivated the channel, I made some of the vids public again in an effort to try google plus out after some other posters on here helped me test out how the notifications work. So far I'm getting notifications via google+. But I have to say, there is a LOT less activity on my channel now that Google+ has been stuffed down everyone's throats. I think I lost the majority of people who used to interact with my channel - because hardly anyone wants to use google plus, and I don't blame them.

In other words, I was wrong and will be going back to YT, my lack of intelligence to learn Google + made me overreact.

:applause:

CavaliersFTW
11-10-2013, 04:07 PM
In other words, I was wrong and will be going back to YT, my lack of intelligence to learn Google + made me overreact.

:applause:
Basically - I figured out I will still be notified which was the primary thing I was concerned about. However, because nobody wants to make a 'google plus' profile I've pretty much lost communication with the majority of people who had subscribed to my channel.

9erempiree
11-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Basically

You were so passionate in your fight. I was almost with you and admired your willingness to stand up to YT.

I guess I was wrong. There was a lot of passion in the beginning of this thread and it's comical to see you eventually gave in.

Good read.

CavaliersFTW
11-10-2013, 04:17 PM
You were so passionate in your fight. I was almost with you and admired your willingness to stand up to YT.

I guess I was wrong. There was a lot of passion in the beginning of this thread and it's comical to see you eventually gave in.

Good read.
I went out and had some beers, realized middle class problems like 'youtube' aren't real problems yo. You'll figure what a benefit it can be simply having a drink with friends to reflect on what prolems really matter once your old enough to drink 9er, as always your posts - whether they are stabs at me or not - are entertaining :cheers: :D

9erempiree
11-10-2013, 04:22 PM
I went out and had some beers, realized middle class problems like 'youtube' aren't real problems yo. You'll figure what a benefit it can be simply having a drink with friends to reflect on what prolems really matter once your old enough to drink 9er, as always your posts - whether they are stabs at me or not - are entertaining :cheers: :D

Touche.

http://s15.postimg.org/iet0g1v4r/Cavs.png

ProfessorMurder
11-10-2013, 04:26 PM

You don't think the decreased activity could have anything to do with the simultaneous bitch fit and deactivation of your account?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
So the only way to get notifications (comments/replies in videos) is through your Google+ home page? Not too bad, a bit inconvenient though. Your YT inbox is completely useless now. :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
11-10-2013, 04:29 PM
You don't think the decreased activity could have anything to do with the simultaneous bitch fit and deactivation of your account?
Nope. I actually gained two subscribers. The level of activity I'm referring to is the number of people able to actually comment on videos. Not the number able to watch the videos, subscribe or w/e. Let me ask, did you make a google plus account with your real name yet ProfessorMurder? Do you want to make a google plus profile with your real name? If you haven't done that and don't want to do that, you won't be able to comment on my videos anymore. Anyone who wants to remain anonymous and not use google plus has basically been silenced.

bdreason
11-10-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm sure Google will be devastated that you removed your illegal Youtube channel.

ProfessorMurder
11-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Nope. I actually gained two subscribers. The level of activity I'm referring to is the number of people able to actually comment on videos. Not the number able to watch the videos, subscribe or w/e. Let me ask, did you make a google plus account with your real name yet ProfessorMurder? Do you want to make a google plus profile with your real name? If you haven't done that and don't want to do that, you won't be able to comment on my videos anymore. Anyone who wants to remain anonymous and not use google plus has basically been silenced.

I don't think I have, but I don't really care about commenting... Plus there's no reason you can't make a google+ with a fake name and avatar.

CavaliersFTW
11-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I don't think I have, but I don't really care about commenting... Plus there's no reason you can't make a google+ with a fake name and avatar.
Youtube accounts that were already created automatically have peoples full names linked to them - google made the connection before people knew google plus was ever going to be mandatory. So, you either agree to use your full name (they already know it) or basically you never can comment on videos again, even if you personally had a popular youtube channel. You can't comment on your own videos anymore either - you can't comment on anything.

People could in theory create a 'new' fake name I believe, but they'd be abandoning all their old youtube videos and subscriptions and would have to start from scratch. Somehow I stumbled on a way to use the "Wilt Chamberlain Archive" name rather than my full name about a year ago but I couldn't retrace my steps on how I did that - actually I believe the opportunity to do that is over - they used to give me an option now they don't give people the option to use a custom name. The whole google plus process is ever changing, difficult and confusing.

Miller for 3
11-10-2013, 08:26 PM
I see you finally had enough of my boycott ruining your threads, so you joined Google+. Good boy. But if you ever leave Google+ again, not only will I boycott your threads, but I will unsubscribe you on Youtube, unfollow you on Twitter, and unfriend you on Facebook. You have been warned.

CavaliersFTW
11-10-2013, 08:27 PM
I see you finally had enough of my boycott ruining your threads, so you joined Google+. Good boy. But if you ever leave Google+ again, not only will I boycott your threads, but I will unsubscribe you on Youtube, unfollow you on Twitter, and unfriend you on Facebook. You have been warned.
I don't make money off of you, you don't matter.