PDA

View Full Version : Casual NBA fans

Jameerthefear
11-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Tell about your experiences with them. (this belongs
I was arguing with someone about my opinion of Kobe (I said he wasn't top 5). They just said I was dumb and didn't know sh1t about basketball since I didn't play it. One of them said Allen Iverson was the second best player in the 2000s behind Kobe :roll: :roll: I told them Lebron right now is better than Kobe ever was and they ignored me :lol
Anyway tell of your experiences.

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Seriously, though, I hope you were trolling them.

russwest0
11-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Da ones who try to say LeBron is better than Jordan

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

:facepalm

Jameerthefear
11-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Seriously, though, I hope you were trolling them.
why?

Genaro
11-08-2013, 06:06 PM
I guess you're the real causual fan

Jameerthefear
11-08-2013, 06:08 PM
I guess you're the real causual fan
How? You think Iverson >> Shaq, KG, Duncan, etc. too?

TheReal Kendall
11-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Had this same convo with some 20 year olds the other week.

They hate Lebron though.

Jameer what sports you play?

RoundMoundOfReb
11-08-2013, 06:10 PM
No. it's obvious they took offense to your Lebron > Kobe remark. This is ISH. You should've known better.

Mr. Jabbar
11-08-2013, 06:12 PM
I told them Lebron right now is better than Kobe ever was and they ignored me :lol

do you blame them?

Jameerthefear
11-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Had this same convo with some 20 year olds the other week.

They hate Lebron though.

Jameer what sports you play?
track n xc

Fresh Kid
11-08-2013, 06:20 PM
I do, Iverson really was that niguh, had a few 50 and 40 point games ass a damn rookie man, you dont see ill shit like that no more man:no:

CelticBaller
11-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Once a guy claimed Allen Iverson was the best scorer of all time, lolno

This kid was arguing that Jordan was overrated, and LeBron would eventually be better than him. I told him that even though I do believe LeBron is a better overall player, no way he will be better than Jordan because Jordan holds too many accolades, and leBron will always have the horrible 07 and 11 finals performance in him. He just kept telling me how Jordan is overrated because he won the dunk contest over Dominique.

I argued with a guy on who was the GOAT. This dumbass told me Magic Johnson because he could play the 5 positions :facepalm

Fresh Kid
11-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Once a guy claimed Allen Iverson was the best scorer of all time, lolno

This kid was arguing that Jordan was overrated, and LeBron would eventually be better than him. I told him that even though I do believe LeBron is a better overall player, no way he will be better than Jordan because Jordan holds too many accolades, and leBron will always have the horrible 07 and 11 finals performance in him. He just kept telling me how Jordan is overrated because he won the dunk contest over Dominique.

I argued with a guy on who was the GOAT. This dumbass told me Magic Johnson because he could play the 5 positions :facepalm
I agree with u:oldlol:....except for tha iverson part... well kinda... Iverson had tha potential to be tha best scorer.

branslowski
11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
It's weird, but makes sense....I mean when I'm on 192 hitting up multiple O-town bars on different big NBA game nights, I usually always here these type opinions from ppl:

"LeBron is better than Jordan, because he can play all 5 positions. LeBron is better than Jordan because he's bigger, faster and stronger and better team player"

"The 3 Greatest players ever are Kobe, LeBron, and Jordan" Normally, Kobe, Jordan, and LeBron is in most ppl I've meant top 5's.

"Kobe is better than Jordan"
"LeBron is better than Kobe and Jordan"

Basically the players who are mentioned as all Time best in my multiple convos (dating back to a few yrs of convos) are, Kobe, Jordan, LeBron, Bird, Magic.

Players who are mentioned as the best rightnow are, LeBron (by alot), some say Kobe still got it, and others mention Durant and Rose.

I also talked with my Grand-dad (on my dad's side) and 2 of his friends....Basically, they agreed that Oscar was the greatest and said Wilt would be a close 2nd. Two of them (1 being my Grand dad) called Jordan overrated media darling who just shot the ball alot, they preferred Magic and Bird. They also only like LeBron's and Chris Paul's game in today's league, they dislike Kobe because he snitched on Shaq and he's just Like Jordan, a chucker.

Funny stuff.:lol

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Jordan was never really great at shooting, he was better at attacking to the basket. Kobe is a better shooter than Jordan. Tell your grandad that. lol

rhowen4
11-08-2013, 06:44 PM
My roommate said Shaq was the laughingstock of the league when he played because of free throw shooting.

Element
11-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I also talked with my Grand-dad (on my dad's side) and 2 of his friends....Basically, they agreed that Oscar was the greatest and said Wilt would be a close 2nd. Two of them (1 being my Grand dad) called Jordan overrated media darling who just shot the ball alot, they preferred Magic and Bird. They also only like LeBron's and Chris Paul's game in today's league, they dislike Kobe because he snitched on Shaq and he's just Like Jordan, a chucker.

Funny stuff.:lol

:roll: :roll:

Lol my grand dad thinks Jerry West is GOAT and Kobe is second. Biggest Laker stan I've ever seen apart from myself and my cousins :cheers:

TheMarkMadsen
11-08-2013, 06:46 PM
I mean Jammmer I'd laugh in your face too if you were trying to tell me about who was the best player in the 2000s and I knew you were born in 1998.

Which means you were prolly around 3 years old when Kobe won his 3rd title, were still in your fathers sack when Iverson crossed Jordan and was barely out of Diapers when Jordan joined the Wizards.

Lets be real, the youngest version of Kobe you've ever seen on live TV was a 2008 on the decline Kobe. And even then at 10 I think it's hard to appreciate what you're watching when it comes to basketball.

So when it comes to AI, there's a good chance you never saw this dude play outside of the Pistons. And I'm not sayin he's better than Lebron, Shaq or Duncan but you shouldn't brush of a legend like AI when youve never seen the legend that is AI

SyRyanYang
11-08-2013, 06:49 PM
I mean Jammmer I'd laugh in your face too if you were trying to tell me about who was the best player in the 2000s and I knew you were born in 1998.

Which means you were prolly around 3 years old when Kobe won his 3rd title, were still in your fathers sack when Iverson crossed Jordan and was barely out of Diapers when Jordan joined the Wizards.

Lets be real, the youngest version of Kobe you've ever seen on live TV was a 2008 on the decline Kobe. And even then at 10 I think it's hard to appreciate what you're watching when it comes to basketball.

So when it comes to AI, there's a good chance you never saw this dude play outside of the Pistons. And I'm not sayin he's better than Lebron, Shaq or Duncan but you shouldn't brush of a legend like AI when youve never seen the legend that is AI

dat ether:bowdown:

Jameerthefear
11-08-2013, 06:50 PM

i've seen kobe at his best. lebron is better. no i didn't see ai at his best but if you argue that he's better than those ACTUAL LEGENDS than something is wrong with you. and i like ai.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-08-2013, 06:53 PM
One of my good buddies thinks that Stephen Curry is better than peak Kobe AND has the potential to be GOAT :oldlol:. Not only that, but he really thinks Pau Gasol is the worst player in the league (srs).

Element
11-08-2013, 06:58 PM
i've seen kobe at his best. lebron is better. no i didn't see ai at his best but if you argue that he's better than those ACTUAL LEGENDS than something is wrong with you. and i like ai.

You've seen Kobe at his best

at age 10 :roll:

Lmfao dude I mean at least I was 12 by the time Kobe started winning titles, and I still haven't been talking like I know s.hit until I rewatched those playoffs despite being a diehard LA stan and having watched all of those games live

At that age you really don't understand what's going on on the court. Most future NBA players themselves usually don't, until they're like 14-15 years old. No shame in admitting that

Fresh Kid
11-08-2013, 07:01 PM

Lmfao dude I mean at least I was 12 by the time Kobe started winning titles, and I still haven't been talking like I know s.hit until I rewatched those playoffs despite being a diehard LA stan and having watched all of those games live

At that age you really don't understand what's going on on the court. Most future NBA players themselves usually don't, until they're like 14-15 years old. No shame in admitting that
I was 14 when kobe won his first ring tho:lol

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 07:03 PM

You never took the journey. You didn't watch Kobe play every game, & his greatness doesn't show on paper. People have stated that Lebron is slightly better athleticism-wise, but as a basketball player? KOBE. But people tend to forget how athletic Kobe was back in his prime... Let's just say he was the 'ball' (literally) every time Magic Johnson would pass it.

No matter how you try to spin the world around & around, twist every word there are ... Jordan is the greatest ever, though. & that's coming from a Laker fan, & a Lamar Odom fan (No crack jokes, you losers.)

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Jameer, you forgot to switch accounts.

Element
11-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I don't even really remember the 02 playoffs anymore except for the Spurs and Kings series. I need to rewatch those lol. Way too busy getting into puberty and s.hit

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I was 7 when Kobe won his first title.

Wavves
11-08-2013, 07:06 PM

This is true, I'm 18 now, and have watched basketball since I was around 13, and you really don't start forming your own opinion and being able to really analyze what is going on until your around 15 maybe 16. Before then, your just listening to other peoples opinions and riding off that.

BoutPractice
11-08-2013, 07:08 PM
The opinions of actual people in real life about basketball are much more varied than on basketball boards, where you almost have a consensus top 10 no one dares question... and it doesn't mean that they have no basis, 'casual' fans often make great points that 'experts' miss and remind you that it's all a question of opinion, not facts.

Jameerthefear
11-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Jameer, you forgot to switch accounts.
I'm definitely not Fresh Kid.

Anyways I've been posting on ISH since I was 12. I was able to analyze the game enough to understand.

Levity
11-08-2013, 07:10 PM

you were better off not saying anything. cause saying you saw kobe at his best(2008) when you were 10 years old is like me saying hey arnold is the greatest show ever cause i loved it when i was 10 years old.

you completely missed the years before that, his first championship run, when he was just as amazing playing next to shaq. to say one player is better than another, you really have to take in account their whole career. and not just stats on paper, but actually watching the games.

SyRyanYang
11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm definitely not Fresh Kid.

Anyways I've been posting on ISH since I was 12. I was able to analyze the game enough to understand.

That's what your mommy told you when she tucked you in at night?

TheReal Kendall
11-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I try not engage in any of the basketball talk when I'm with friends or at bars cause I know they gonna say something dumb and upset me

Jameerthefear
11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
you were better off not saying anything. cause saying you saw kobe at his best(2008) when you were 10 years old is like me saying hey arnold is the greatest show ever cause i loved it when i was 10 years old.

you completely missed the years before that, his first championship run, when he was just as amazing playing next to shaq. to say one player is better than another, you really have to take in account their whole career. and not just stats on paper, but actually watching the games.
But do you disagree with my opinion? Peak Lebron is better than Kobe ever was. Agree or not?

ZenMaster
11-08-2013, 07:15 PM
This is true, I'm 18 now, and have watched basketball since I was around 13, and you really don't start forming your own opinion and being able to really analyze what is going on until your around 15 maybe 16. Before then, your just listening to other peoples opinions and riding off that.

You still can't really analyze basketball when you're 15, but you've hit the age when you can actually start to learn.

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I try not engage in any of the basketball talk when I'm with friends or at bars cause I know they gonna say something dumb and upset me
I feel the same way. To me they're just so dumb when it comes to basketball. They pretend they know so much. One time when I went to visit my parents, my step-dad was playing 'association mode' on 2k14 & he was moving players around, trading, signings, etc.,. & he said, "I'm tryna get Amare for defense..." & I was just like :facepalm & he tries so hard to sound professional about everything!!! Which makes me giggle, & I just walk away from it sometimes... :lol

Levity
11-08-2013, 07:18 PM
But do you disagree with my opinion? Peak Lebron is better than Kobe ever was. Agree or not?

i never partake in these conversations because better is such anobjective term. kobe and lebron's games are completely different besides the fact that they are both ball dominant. both had different kind of help through out their career, faced different defenses, played in different conference, and both had their fair share of failures and well as success

so trying to pick the better player out of the two is really just a matter of preference since the content of their careers are much different.

TheReal Kendall
11-08-2013, 07:19 PM
I feel the same way. To me they're just so dumb when it comes to basketball. They pretend they know so much. One time when I went to visit my parents, my step-dad was playing 'association mode' on 2k14 & he was moving players around, trading, signings, etc.,. & he said, "I'm tryna get Amare for defense..." & I was just like :facepalm & he tries so hard to sound professional about everything!!! Which makes me giggle, & I just walk away from it sometimes... :lol

:biggums:

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
I grew up with an uncle who followed the game religiously, & that helped me sharpen up my knowledge about the game.

Lebron is definitely not > than Kobe.

$LakerGold
11-08-2013, 07:20 PM
:biggums:
Exactly :roll:

TheReal Kendall
11-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Exactly :roll:

You should've turned the system off.

My friends aren't that bad when it comes to bball but they do know more about football than I do though.

TheMarkMadsen
11-08-2013, 10:38 PM

Oh man i feel that.

My friend will do a fantasy draft with me. He picks Lebron and loads up his team.

Drafts Amare

Offensively just tries to score with a lebron, gets murkier on defense because is his paint protector and the gets frustrated that his team sucks.

Like bro maybe if you didn't draft a terrible defensive player to use solely on..defense, maybe it wouldn't be so easy to drive the lane on offense and pack the lane on defense since your best offensive players are Lebron, and IGGY who can't consistently hit jumpers

Fresh Kid
11-08-2013, 11:03 PM
My roommate said Shaq was the laughingstock of the league when he played because of free throw shooting.
hellz yea, ol "hack a shaq" method was funny az hell:roll:

tmacattack33
11-09-2013, 01:23 AM
They can see some things (shooting ability, fancy ball handling ability, speed, jumping ability, dunking ability) but don't really have the eye for other things like passing vision, man-on-man defense, help defense, ability to move off the ball, bball IQ, etc.

And of course sometimes there are whole players and teams that they even never see because they are not popular (Paul George, Marc Gasol, Lamarcus Aldridge, etc).

So just realize this and don't get too mad.

You might sound pretty dumb if you tried talking about MLB or something that you don't watch much.

AussieG
11-09-2013, 02:11 AM
I think it's more that they pay attention to hype and marketing.. and have short memories.. rather than not watching the finer points of the game. That's true too, but I think ESPN, hype and marketing is the biggest thing. Casuals have a lazy way of following the sport which means relying on what others tell them, rather than seeing for themself.

RoundMoundOfReb
11-09-2013, 02:14 AM
lol wtff. How the heck does one even get the impression that Amare is good on D. Even the commentators/tv analysts don't say that.

Myth
11-09-2013, 02:46 AM
I remember a guy who was a Sonics fan back in college, but overall he was a casual fan of the NBA, and after the 2005 playoffs, he was calling Jerome James a top 5 center in the NBA.