PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Love with another one: 32/15/8 in 34 minutes.

TheMarkMadsen
11-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Against the Mavericks, T'Wolves come away with a W.

Dirk had 14/3/1

Kevin Love, the best power forward in the league, does it again with another 30/15 game :cheers: Wolves fans rejoice!!

maybeshewill13
11-08-2013, 11:47 PM
White power :applause: Lord Adams, Vucevik and Love.

Eric Cartman
11-08-2013, 11:48 PM
head shoulders best pf in game now supporting cast to be boot healthy

Brook(lyn)Lopez
11-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Can't wait to see what he can do when Ricky Rubio stops being the worst shooter at the point guard position (he was shooting under 30% to start the season).
Teams just leave him open and he'll brick all day.

Leftimage
11-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Damn, these as some prime KG stat lines he's been posting.

I haven't watched him too much (mostly highlights), how is his D ?

LAZERUSS
11-08-2013, 11:59 PM
The man has been amazing his entire career, but there have been idiots on this forum who have claimed that he was a "stats-padding loser."

secund2nun
11-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Love has become a beast. Best PF in the NBA today.

Suguru101
11-09-2013, 12:05 AM

His D is not amazing, but he isn't a minus anymore, he is an average defender.

The 2012 Olympics under Coach K was the catalyst for him becoming a more aware and for putting more effort on that side of the ball.

Remember, in the final 6 minutes of the 2012 Olympics Gold game, Love was on the floor at center, and coach K would not have trusted him if his D was Carmelo-level.

FireMcFailPlease
11-09-2013, 12:05 AM

lackidazical at times. not the best guy when it comes to closing out so he'll shoot a wide open shot.

average post defender, hes sneaky quick though so he can move his feet.

La Frescobaldi
11-09-2013, 12:08 AM

It has been the best I have seen him do so far.... above average, like a C+ / B-. His rotations are good not great, he doesn't contest much. But given his energy levels of offense and rebounding that's very very high marks.

Brewer & Dante (and sometimes there is a glimmer or a flash with Derrick Williams...) are a great combo for Love's Wolves because both of them can shoot tho not real inventive, and they will create havoc with speed both in set offense and open court... and they make Wolves defense infinitely better. With Kevin Martin outside? Wolves are extremely dangerous.

So far this season Nikola Pekovic has been real effective, at times devastating, but looks off his usual game - I believe at least partly due to appearance of Kevin Martin. Wolves with Pekovic have never had a 2 guard worthy of the name before so their game has always been skewed. That kind of adjustment is hardest for a center - especially when he was 1st or 2nd option in previous seasons, thus Pekovic has seen stats drop but is still playing very very high level of hoops.

But Love? We are finally seeing what that dude can do with solid, NBA level un-injured teammates.

JellyBean
11-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks to the Minnesota Lynx for raising the bar here in Minnesota. They are forcing the Timberwolves to man up.:cheers:

DMAVS41
11-09-2013, 12:59 AM
He was great tonight. And was super clutch down the stretch as usual.

We destroyed everything we tried. Killed Dirk early, then killed Marion/Blair/Bert...etc for the rest of the game.

Must say that the Mavs still look really good in my opinion. Teams simply can't stop the Dirk/Calderon and Dirk/Ellis high pick play. Calderon might shoot 70% from 3 if teams keep defending it the way they have so far.

Dude started the season in a terrible shooting slump and I think he's now over 45% on threes for the year.

Mavs need Wright and Harris back soon though. Those two guys should help a lot.

We just have to find a way to squeeze out some of these road wins though.

chocolatethunder
11-09-2013, 01:36 AM
He was great tonight. And was super clutch down the stretch as usual.

We destroyed everything we tried. Killed Dirk early, then killed Marion/Blair/Bert...etc for the rest of the game.

Must say that the Mavs still look really good in my opinion. Teams simply can't stop the Dirk/Calderon and Dirk/Ellis high pick play. Calderon might shoot 70% from 3 if teams keep defending it the way they have so far.

Dude started the season in a terrible shooting slump and I think he's now over 45% on threes for the year.

Mavs need Wright and Harris back soon though. Those two guys should help a lot.

We just have to find a way to squeeze out some of these road wins though.
Ellis shooting 24 times and Dirk only shooting 11 isn't gonna cut it. They need a better balance than that regardless of Dirk's age. That's just silly.

DMAVS41
11-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Ellis shooting 24 times and Dirk only shooting 11 isn't gonna cut it. They need a better balance than that regardless of Dirk's age. That's just silly.

Nah...it made sense if you watched the game. The Wolves basically doubled Dirk on the pick and roll or at least went under the screen. Calderon was wide open all night on it.

Dirk also didn't play well and looked tired (expected early on in the season after playing 3 games in 4 nights with 2 of them on the road)

So far the Ellis/Dirk combo looks great...and Calderon is fitting in as well.

The flaw in this team is defense...and rebounding as well. Wright coming back should help a little, but it's always going to be there when you have the kind of defenders Mekel, Calderon, Ellis, Ellington...are. Marion/Dirk/Bert have done a nice job so far on the front line...until tonight at least, but that is expected when a guy like Love has a great game...nothing you can do really.

I think Harris and Wright will really help on both fronts when they come back. But for now...through 6 games...things look about as good as you could hope for with a brand new team.

maybeshewill13
11-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Lets just hope he doesn't do any more pushups :lol

FireDavidKahn
11-09-2013, 01:59 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYm3oFSCAAAFmuM.jpg:large

TRUE WHITE GOAT

3LiftHeatCurse
11-09-2013, 02:02 AM
Time is ticking until he's in a Laker uniform.

SpecialQue
11-09-2013, 02:03 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BYm3oFSCAAAFmuM.jpg:large

TRUE WHITE GOAT

He's playing great, but fvck do I hate bullshit stats like that. 27/14/5? Who the fvck decided to use those numbers for a "historic" statistic?

EDIT: Bargnani with 25 points? The Knicks are back!!!!

FireDavidKahn
11-09-2013, 02:04 AM
He's playing great, but fvck do I hate bullshit stats like that. 27/14/5? Who the fvck decided to use those numbers for a "historic" statistic?
No kidding, lol. It's bullshit, but still.

FireMcFailPlease
11-09-2013, 02:48 AM

EDIT: Bargnani with 25 points? The Knicks are back!!!!
:roll:

epic.

pauk
11-09-2013, 02:56 AM
Pretty damn nice.....

...maybe we need to start a 30-5-5 thread?

bdreason
11-09-2013, 04:28 AM
The man has been amazing his entire career, but there have been idiots on this forum who have claimed that he was a "stats-padding loser."

He's a great player, but his 30/15 isn't the same as a KG or Shaq 30/15.

atljonesbro
11-09-2013, 04:34 AM
What a dumb post. Were shaq and KG doing 360 back flip rebounds?

bdreason
11-09-2013, 04:41 AM
What a dumb post. Were shaq and KG doing 360 back flip rebounds?

Shaq was dominating the paint, causing entire teams to collapse on him. He was also a superior defender.

KG was scoring in a similar manner to Love (less range), but was a much better individual and team defender.

When KG or Shaq had a 30/15 game, you knew it... because they dominated the court. Love is almost the complete opposite. You know he's having a good game, but when you look at the boxscore after the game the numbers are surprising.

DMAVS41
11-09-2013, 04:41 AM

Why?

I mean...Love is offensively more dominant than KG ever was, so if you are implying that KG also dominated defensively and Love doesn't...okay, but I don't see how that has anything to do with the Numbers.

Have you actually watched Love play? He's a great offensive player. Can shoot from anywhere, can post up, can offensive board, and pass extremely well from everywhere.

Dude is a straight up great baller and is under-rated as **** on here if his stats come with an asterisk in the regular season.

Like all other players though, he has to prove he can win and carry a team in the playoffs before we start going to that next level talk, but he's pretty ****ing good.

bdreason
11-09-2013, 04:45 AM
His passing is definitely improved, but let's not pretend he's a playmaker. We're talking about a guy who hasn't averaged more than 2 APG in his career.

DMAVS41
11-09-2013, 04:49 AM
His passing is definitely improved, but let's not pretend he's a playmaker. We're talking about a guy who hasn't averaged more than 2 APG in his career.

Playmaking and passing are a bit different. Also, I'd argue that assists are a bad way to gauge the likes of Love or Dirk in terms of their passing ability.

Love is not a playmaker in that sense, but he's definitely a good passer now.

bdreason
11-09-2013, 04:57 AM
Does Love even demand a double? I don't think I've ever seen a team consistently double him even though he's dropping 30+.

And I'm not trying to hate on Love. I've actually been a fan of his since UCLA. I just think it's important that his stats are taken with context. He isn't a defensive anchor. He isn't a playmaker. He isn't demanding doubles. That doesn't mean he isn't a great player, or that his stats are "empty"... but let's not put him in the same category as guys like Shaq and KG because he's posting big numbers.

DMAVS41
11-09-2013, 05:13 AM
Does Love even demand a double? I don't think I've ever seen a team consistently double him even though he's dropping 30+.

And I'm not trying to hate on Love. I've actually been a fan of his since UCLA. I just think it's important that his stats are taken with context. He isn't a defensive anchor. He isn't a playmaker. He isn't demanding doubles. That doesn't mean he isn't a great player, or that his stats are "empty"... but let's not put him in the same category as guys like Shaq and KG because he's posting big numbers.

We don't put him in that category though for obvious reasons. KG didn't demand a double much either.

Love is as good or better than KG was offensively. Love is a better scorer/shooter and KG was a better playmaker. The big difference there is defense.

With Shaq...we don't need to explain why Love isn't as good as him.

Love would be almost impossible to double consistently given the variety of his offensive game. He does a lot of face up scoring very far away from the basket...and his post ups are generally quick hitting. He's a pretty unique player in that regard.

I mean...he's taking step back 3 point shots as a pf. I don't know what you do with that. You certainly can't double that because he'll eat you alive for wide open layups or jumpers for his teammates. It's like when prime Dirk would get the ball 18 ft from the basket at the top of the key...what do you do? If you double you are for sure giving up a great shot...if you don't double...you are the mercy of one of the best face up big man scorers ever...perhaps the best ever.

While Love is different, he creates many of the same conundrums for defenses.

Nick Young
11-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Damn, he's giving Kyrie a run for his money for who will be the next superstar FA the Lakers sign!

Kevin Love's uncle is a beach boy, he was born to be a Laker.:rockon:

Ca$H
11-09-2013, 06:16 AM
Love is like Tony Romo. Confusing gaudy stats. Romo has the 4th highest QB rating in NFL history and the most yardage ever for a QB's first 100 starts.

DMAVS41
11-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Love is like Tony Romo. Confusing gaudy stats. Romo has the 4th highest QB rating in NFL history and the most yardage ever for a QB's first 100 starts.

I haven't looked into it, but isn't Love really good late in close games?

Romo isn't as good as the numbers suggest because you know he's going to throw a pick or make a bad mistake at some point in a close game.

I feel like Love is actually a good late game player, but again, I haven't looked into it.

La Frescobaldi
11-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Shaq was dominating the paint, causing entire teams to collapse on him. He was also a superior defender.

KG was scoring in a similar manner to Love (less range), but was a much better individual and team defender.

When KG or Shaq had a 30/15 game, you knew it... because they dominated the court. Love is almost the complete opposite. You know he's having a good game, but when you look at the boxscore after the game the numbers are surprising.

This is an enormous compliment to Kevin Love right here. Comparing him to 2 of the greatest paint players to ever suit up a jersey.
Virtually everyone has Kevin Garnett somewhere in their top 10 all-time power forwards, right? And The Big Guy is a top 10 Center easily and most will argue him at Top 5 or even higher.

Love has a good team around him; they need Turiaf back real bad. But now FINALLY we are seeing that flash of greatness in the NBA that we saw in the Olympics.

La Frescobaldi
11-09-2013, 10:00 AM

Watch the defenders away from the ball. They WANT to double team the guy, they are TRYING to double team the guy. Pekovic down-low screens are often saying otherwise. Nikola just standing in the way of a guy running to a help D rotation is a huge obstacle!!

Also, when you consistently see double teams you either have a) Shaq, one of the most unstoppable players ever, or b) a coach who is not making adjustments in his offense. Adleman won't be doing that.

Another thing happening.... when his stroke is on from outside the arc, you double team Kevin Love with a guard at your peril.
Kevin Martin will set a net on fire in a heartbeat if you leave him for Love at the 3 line (who can do more out there than just bomb a 3), and anybody that leaves Rubio unguarded with 3 seconds left on a shot clock is likely to show up as the dawg who got killed in the Highlight Play of the Week - Another Twisting, Spinning, Amazing Rubio Assist!!

Adleman has his offense running on 5 or 6 cylinders right now. It's still kinda jerky looking while he fine tunes that thing. I expect to see it running full bore throaty roar 426 Hemi later on in the season!!

FireDavidKahn
11-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Except Love is clutch as ****.

Pointguard
11-09-2013, 12:28 PM
The thing I really like about him is his decision making when he doesn't have the ball. How he gets in position to have his great production. He is one of the most interesting players to watch (Paul George is another). I don't see Love's numbers as being hollow either. They don't seem dominant (DH's 30/15 games seem more pronounced) because Love finds cracks so easy and teams seemingly haven't been inconvenienced just yet. But that's definitely coming.

I think in general perception is that when things are done by guile and intelligence is looked at differently than aggression: in order for us to survive it was/is a necessary quality. It does make sense to look at the aggressive qualities in competition - as those who go hard are more likely to assert their will - Shaq, KG, Jordan and Kobe. But I do remember when people were talking about Duncan like they talk about Love so things do change and I believe Love will get his due, sooner than later.