PDA

View Full Version : Who's getting a Nexus 5?

DuMa
11-10-2013, 03:54 AM
Just ordered my 16GB Black Nexus 5. Google says 4-5 weeks before it ships but have a few friends who got theirs in about a week or less. Of course they ordered on Halloween but we'll see.

reviews seem great except for camera and battery life but im usually never away from a usb port nor do i really like to use my phone's camera that much.

Anyone else getting one?

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/nexusae0_back_thumb.jpg

LockoutOver11
11-10-2013, 03:59 AM
weird... why didnt u get a 32 gb one..

ive seen a couple people activate it at tmobile... takes forever to start up the first time. though afterwards it looks amazing....

miss the glass material of the nexus 4....

DuMa
11-10-2013, 04:08 AM
I didnt get a 32GB one because only thing that takes up space on my smart phone is mp3s and i will end up just using my old galaxy one as an music player. that one has 32gb.

Meticode
11-10-2013, 09:44 AM
A lot that has to do with the camera can be improved through software updates.

The battery I'm not sure what the issue is. Apparently KitKat has TRIM that organizes the points of the Android OS to make it more efficient to pull data, and it also has the feature that cuts RAM usage, and the processor that's in the Nexus 5 is suppose to be a "battery sipper", but for whatever reason it's not and the 2300mAH battery doesn't perform as well as it should.

Personally, I'd rather just buy a LG G2, root and put a CM ROM on it (KitKat should be in in the next few weeks ported over if not sooner). The Nexus 5 almost has the same internals as the LG G2, but has a batter camera. Also the LG G2 has a 3000mAH battery.

Here's a website comparison...

http://www.androidpit.com/nexus-5-and-lg-g2-comparison

...anything that's software related ignore it if you can root and put your on ROM on your device. Which I do all the time.

Right now my 2 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus is running a ported version of Android 4.4 and it's super smooth with a few bugs that are still being worked out.

Also to note the Nexus 5 is significantly cheaper it when it comes to outright buying them. The reason it's cheaper is for two reasons. The subpar camera, and the speakers and where they're set up.

Doctor Rivers
11-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Just ordered my 16GB Black Nexus 5. Google says 4-5 weeks before it ships but have a few friends who got theirs in about a week or less. Of course they ordered on Halloween but we'll see.

reviews seem great except for camera and battery life but im usually never away from a usb port nor do i really like to use my phone's camera that much.

Anyone else getting one?

http://cdn.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/nexusae0_back_thumb.jpg

I've had mine for several days...pretty sweet phone.

SCREWstonRockets
11-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I got the n5. It's a bad ass phone. Not sure why the bad camera reviews. Check out this side by side comparison videos. It looks fine to me:

N5 vs s4 - http://youtu.be/s-6AszlQIIs

N5 vs iPhone - http://youtu.be/Qp6clWG-b5c

Jameerthefear
11-10-2013, 12:44 PM
I want one so bad.

rezznor
11-10-2013, 12:45 PM
i got a white one

Doctor Rivers
11-10-2013, 12:46 PM
A lot that has to do with the camera can be improved through software updates.

The battery I'm not sure what the issue is. Apparently KitKat has TRIM that organizes the points of the Android OS to make it more efficient to pull data, and it also has the feature that cuts RAM usage, and the processor that's in the Nexus 5 is suppose to be a "battery sipper", but for whatever reason it's not and the 2300mAH battery doesn't perform as well as it should.

Personally, I'd rather just buy a LG G2, root and put a CM ROM on it (KitKat should be in in the next few weeks ported over if not sooner). The Nexus 5 almost has the same internals as the LG G2, but has a batter camera. Also the LG G2 has a 3000mAH battery.

Here's a website comparison...

http://www.androidpit.com/nexus-5-and-lg-g2-comparison

...anything that's software related ignore it if you can root and put your on ROM on your device. Which I do all the time.

Right now my 2 year old Samsung Galaxy Nexus is running a ported version of Android 4.4 and it's super smooth with a few bugs that are still being worked out.

Also to note the Nexus 5 is significantly cheaper it when it comes to outright buying them. The reason it's cheaper is for two reasons. The subpar camera, and the speakers and where they're set up.

Just a couple of things with what you said...

TRIM support in Android has been available since 4.3 and it essentially keeps the flash storage running efficiently--ideally the read/write performance no longer degrades over time.

The one hardware quirk with the LG G2 is the the placement of the power button on the back of the phone.

Fudge
11-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Only white peeps...

Maniak
11-10-2013, 01:33 PM
just recently got a 4. its such a good phone aside from the crack i put into it a few days in i have no reason to replace it for years.

B-Low
11-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Ive had the 4 for a while and I like it, so I'll probably get the 5 in a few months when I'm due for an upgrade

DuMa
11-10-2013, 05:05 PM
those that got the N5. how many days did they ship after the date you ordered?

Meticode
11-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Calm the **** down. You'll get your shitty phone. :oldlol:

Doctor Rivers
11-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Less than a day after I ordered it, but I placed my order right when it was announced.

ALBballer
11-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I love Google's pricing but I'm not gonna lie, but to price the phone so low makes me suspicious they are generating revenue by collecting your personal info on the phone.

:oldlol:

I still have a SG3 and although it doesn't have LTE capabilities, I'm not in a rush to get a new phone. Maybe next year.

magic chiongson
11-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I love Google's pricing but I'm not gonna lie, but to price the phone so low makes me suspicious they are generating revenue by collecting your personal info on the phone.

they can do that on non-nexus phones as well :/