PDA

View Full Version : A year later lets look back at the Dwight Howard trade

Jameerthefear
11-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Lakers send Andrew Bynum to Philly and Orlando sends J-Rich also (doesn't pan out, he doesn't play a single game).

Dwight, Chris Duhon, and Earl Clark to LA (Dwight and Earl Clark leave in FA)

Orlando received Aaron Afflalo, Al Harrington, Moe Harkless, from Denver, Nikola Vucevic from Philly, and Josh Mcroberts and Eyenga from LA
Orlando also got a 2nd round pick for 2013 (I think we used it on Osby), a first round pick in 2014 from either Denver or New York, some more picks in 2015 and 2017 + a TE

We conducted a highway robbery :roll: :roll: :roll:

Horde of Temujin
11-11-2013, 12:06 PM
For real. And people were saying that Orl was the one that was robbed

KyrieTheFuture
11-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Let it be known 0 people thought that was a good trade at the time. This trade is gonna get the Gasol trade treatment where Marc ended up good and no one remembers how lopsided it was.

SpecialQue
11-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Let it be known 0 people thought that was a good trade at the time. This trade is gonna get the Gasol trade treatment where Marc ended up good and no one remembers how lopsided it was.

Pretty much this. Let's wait to see the Magic make waves in the east before we start swinging our ***** around and pounding our chests.

MavsSuperFan
11-11-2013, 01:56 PM
The difference is as much as laker fans hate pau gasol right now, and as much as he sucks right now. he put the lakers over the top for 2 championships.

Kobe was more important than Gasol, but without gasol the lakers dont win their last 2 championships.

Dwight did nothing for the lakers.

iamgine
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
The difference is, Marc Gasol was an unknown prospect back then, drafted 48th.

Afflalo was pretty good, Vucevic and Harkless was mid 1st round pick. Plus Dwight was gonna leave anyway so any trade would be better than nothing.

All Net
11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Who knew Vucevic would be such a stud?

guy
11-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Iguodala went to Denver in the trade as well. Basically 3 All-Stars, Howard, Bynum, and Iggy were moved, and none of the 3 were retained, and the team that got no all-stars seems to have won the trade. That might be a first.

SpecialQue
11-11-2013, 02:51 PM
LA really wanted Dwight. No one knew just how horrendous last season was going to be. It was a gamble. Those happen in the NBA. Bynum had a fluke injury-free season and then promptly got re-injured the next season and didn't play a single game. I don't consider this trade to have been "terrible" for the Lakers. I'd rather we had one season to see how Dwight worked out than be stuck with multiple seasons of bullshit between him and Kobe. This trade was much, much worse for Philly and the Nuggets.

Also, I wish the Magic the best of luck for their future, and hope they become more than just a training ground for players before they sign elsewhere.

LakersDaBEst
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
We traded away Bynum ( who didn't play for an entire season) for Dwight. I don't see any loss in that.

guy
11-11-2013, 03:01 PM
LA really wanted Dwight. No one knew just how horrendous last season was going to be. It was a gamble. Those happen in the NBA. Bynum had a fluke injury-free season and then promptly got re-injured the next season and didn't play a single game. I don't consider this trade to have been "terrible" for the Lakers. I'd rather we had one season to see how Dwight worked out than be stuck with multiple seasons of bullshit between him and Kobe. This trade was much, much worse for Philly and the Nuggets.

Also, I wish the Magic the best of luck for their future, and hope they become more than just a training ground for players before they sign elsewhere.

I actually think if Howard was forced to sign an extension before the Lakers decided to trade for him, it would've been easier to make things work. First, they don't fire Mike Brown so early in the season, thinking that if they don't do it so soon it could cost them the season and then cost them Dwight. Second, they don't hire Mike D'Antoni in order to save last season because it benefits Steve Nash the most. There outlook only seemed to be based off that one year, which meant they couldn't be patient. I don't know. I just feel like its not really a good thing when a star player is playing through a "trial period" because those situations seem to be prone to power struggles between teammates, coaches, front office, ownership, etc. I guess in the end, the Lakers still did the right thing (probably still better then having no Andrew Bynum at all).

Shade8780
11-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Pretty much this. Let's wait to see the Magic make waves in the east before we start swinging our ***** around and pounding our chests.
Because everyone does that when you start winning....

outbreak
11-11-2013, 04:58 PM

that's not true at all, on pretty much all of the magic sites I go to we were happy we shed salary and that Hennigan had the guts to go into full rebuild mode. We didn't expect to have Vucevic be this good but we were quite happy with the trade compared to what else was being rumoured. We hoped Harkless would be a good piece for the future and we thought Afflalo would be an average guy to lead the youngsters. It wasn't an exciting trade but most magic fans were quite pleased with it.

no pun intended
11-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Hindsight bias.

At the time, still a pretty idiotic move by Hennigan. Serendipitous, if you ask me.

I still remember the wiki edit on his page that evening.

On August 9th, 2012, Rob Hennigan officially became the worst GM in the history of profession basketball when he traded Dwight Howard to the Los Angeles Lakers for 2 Diet Cokes and a bag of Lays potato chips.

On August 10th, 2012 his wife divorced him and children also wish to have nothing more to do with such a pathetic excuse of a man.

lmao

Eric Cartman
11-11-2013, 05:10 PM
It wasn't an exciting trade but most magic fans were quite pleased with it.

Why wouldn't they be? You raped 3 teams in the process :lol

outbreak
11-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Why wouldn't they be? You raped 3 teams in the process :lol
I mean at the time, the media went after hennigan but I know that myself and the magics sites I visit were happy we didn't take back salary and were going into rebuild. I'm not saying we thought we'd won the trade or pulled off a great move but we were pleased with the deal and were ready for a rebuild rather than taking on a big contract mediocre player that the media thinks is a star but would lead us nowhere.

Orlando Magic
11-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I mean at the time, the media went after hennigan but I know that myself and the magics sites I visit were happy we didn't take back salary and were going into rebuild. I'm not saying we thought we'd won the trade or pulled off a great move but we were pleased with the deal and were ready for a rebuild rather than taking on a big contract mediocre player that the media thinks is a star but would lead us nowhere.

exactly correct

KyrieTheFuture
11-11-2013, 06:15 PM
that's not true at all, on pretty much all of the magic sites I go to we were happy we shed salary and that Hennigan had the guts to go into full rebuild mode. We didn't expect to have Vucevic be this good but we were quite happy with the trade compared to what else was being rumoured. We hoped Harkless would be a good piece for the future and we thought Afflalo would be an average guy to lead the youngsters. It wasn't an exciting trade but most magic fans were quite pleased with it.
0 people said the magic won that trade, you can say you always thought it was an okay trade but you can't pretend you thought it was a great one

no pun intended
11-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Magic fans were more relieved that the Dwightmare was over than they were about what players they received that evening.

outbreak
11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
0 people said the magic won that trade, you can say you always thought it was an okay trade but you can't pretend you thought it was a great one

Yes we can, most fans were happy and thought it was a good move for orlando. At no point am I saying we thought we won the trade but we were happy with the result and thought it was a necessary move. It wasn't about the players coming back so much as it was about taking back youth and picks and going into rebuild mode. Hennigan had balls to not take back a mediocre big contract guy who would have us stuck as a first round exit for years which is exactly what Orlando fans wanted to avoid.

longtime lurker
11-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Video of Hennigan after the trade

http://media.timeout.com/blogimages/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/i-won.gif

greymatter
11-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Magic were just plain lucky that Vucevic turned out as good as he has been. It's just dumb luck that they avoided getting screwed the hardest out of all 3 teams involved in the trade.

Bandito
11-11-2013, 07:33 PM
The difference is as much as laker fans hate pau gasol right now, and as much as he sucks right now. he put the lakers over the top for 2 championships.

Kobe was more important than Gasol, but without gasol the lakers dont win their last 2 championships.

Dwight did nothing for the lakers.
The " lakers " fans that hate Gasol are usually Kobe stans. True lakers fans love Gasol. They get annoyed because sometimes he gets soft as andrea bargnani but we acknowledge hes a beast. Hes just been injured for awhile.

greymatter
11-11-2013, 07:49 PM

It's better to be crappy a few years and rebuild through the draft than be borderline 7th-10th seed in a conference and get a 12th pick. I hated the deal because not only were we in full tank mode, we didn't get any decent future draft picks. The picks from Philly and LA are protected. The best player we got in the deal was Afflalo. It's incredibly lucky that we got a big man with the potential to be a top 4-5 center.

Jameerthefear
11-12-2013, 05:48 PM
"no magic fan would put Jameer in their name you fat piece of shit"
Who did that?