PDA

View Full Version : Pre-3pt era players great at making the long 2? Who had 3pt range?

fpliii
11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I thought it might be a good reference if we can put together two lists.

Long 2 Range
Tiny Archibald
Elgin Baylor
Bill Bradley
Wilt Chamberlain (young)
Dave Cowens
Dave DeBusschere
Ernie DiGregorio
Julius Erving
Walt Frazier
Joe Fulks
Hal Greer
John Havlicek
Elvin Hayes
Lou Hudson
Dan Issel
Sam Jones
Bob McAdoo
Bobby McDermott
Jim McMillian
Calvin Murphy
Bob Pettit
Willis Reed
Oscar Robertson
Dolph Schayes
David Thompson
Nate Thurmond?
Norm Van Lier
Chet Walker
Jo Jo White
George Yardley

3-Point Range
Rick Barry
Freddie Brown
Phil Chenier
Louie Dampier
Terry Duerod*
Chris Ford
Gail Goodrich
Jerry Lucas
Pete Maravich
Jon McGocklin
Dolph Schayes
Bill Sharman
Andrew Toney*
Jerry West
Brian Winters

Note: You guys can also mention players from the first few years after the 3 was introduced, prior to its becoming a weapon (listed with an *).

inclinerator
11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
wilt chamberlain use to shoot 40 footers when he was wide open

Miss Bella
11-11-2013, 05:58 PM
If you dunk it jumping from outside the 3pt line does it count as a 3pointer or a 2 pointer?

inclinerator
11-11-2013, 06:00 PM
If you dunk it jumping from outside the 3pt line does it count as a 3pointer or a 2 pointer?
3:rockon:

Deuce Bigalow
11-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Would count as a 3. Wilt got robbed of so many points because unfortunately there was no 3pt line when he was doing it.

Miss Bella
11-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Would count as a 3. Wilt got robbed of so many points because unfortunately there was no 3pt line when he was doing it.

Exactly, a shame really. If the 3pt line existed he would probably have tried dunking from that range more so a safe bet is that RAy Allen and Kobe would not be record holders today.

CavaliersFTW
11-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Rick Barry, Jerry Lucas for sure were 3 point range.

Long-2's Jerry West, Bob Pettit... heck I'm inclined to mention pretty much anyone that wasn't a center - most of the guys who had a jump shot I have footage shooting from the corner which is a modern NBA 3 as it is. What exactly constitutes guys you'd define as having long-2 vs 3 point range, the consistency with which they take shots? Cause even Nate Thurmond hits a 'modern 3 point range' shot in one clip I have of him though I'm pretty sure he never did it often lol

JimmyMcAdocious
11-11-2013, 06:10 PM
McAdoo for the long 2.

fpliii
11-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Rick Barry, Jerry Lucas for sure were 3 point range.

Long-2's Jerry West, Bob Pettit... heck I'm inclined to mention pretty much anyone that wasn't a center - most of the guys who had a jump shot I have footage shooting from the corner which is a modern NBA 3 as it is. What exactly constitutes guys you'd define as having long-2 vs 3 point range, the consistency with which they take shots? Cause even Nate Thurmond hits a 'modern 3 point range' shot in one clip I have of him though I'm pretty sure he never did it often lol

Well, I was thinking it'd have to be a weapon, or at least something they could hit reliably when open. But yeah, I'll add the guys you've mentioned.

MavsSuperFan
11-11-2013, 06:18 PM
wilt chamberlain use to shoot 40 footers when he was wide open
:lol
sarcasm?

I never watched wilt but decided to just google his FT%

Regular season 0.511
Playoffs 0.465

Doesnt seem like a great shooter.

SHAQisGOAT
11-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Long 2 Range
Bob McAdoo (amazing shooter at his best, one of the best ever at shooting with a man in his mug)

Calvin Murphy (one of the most underrated players ever, shortest NBA-player in the HoF, just a terrific shooter with range.. could shoot the 3 with his feet set, as the line was introduced in his final years)

Lou Hudson

Tiny Archibald

Bob Pettit

Hal Greer

Jo Jo White

you can also include Oscar Robertson (was shooting more mid 2s than long 2s but he could do it), even Sam Jones and Willis Reed

3-Point Range
Pete Maravich (call it 4-point range lol.. played a year with the line, as a shell, shot 15 and made 10)

Rick Barry (never quite adjusted to the line in the ABA though)

Jerry West

Fred Brown (didn't call him Dowtown for nothing, 3-point line was introduced when he was past his prime but still managed to have some pretty good 3-pt shooting seasons, like in 1980 he made 39 and shot 88)

Chris Ford (line introduced in his last years, had some good 3-pt shooting seasons, in 1980 took 164 and made 70)

Brian Winters

Jerry Lucas

Also Gail Goodrich and Phil Chenier

Psileas
11-11-2013, 06:35 PM
3 point range - Pete Maravich, Fred Brown
Long 2 - John Havlicek

kshutts1
11-11-2013, 06:37 PM
What about Bill Sharman? For some reason, I think of him as a shooter.

Psileas
11-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Dolph Schayes was also a big man who had at least long 2-point range, partially responsible for his low (esp.for a big man) FG shooting.

fpliii
11-11-2013, 06:38 PM
Note: You guys can also mention players from the first few years after the 3 was introduced, prior to its becoming a weapon.

Psileas
11-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Rick Barry (never quite adjusted to the line in the ABA though)

Seems like he took it seriously only during his last ABA season, and he shot it better than in his previous seasons - I also think the ABA line was a bit longer than the future NBA line. In 1980, he shot a lot of 3's for the standards of the era and shot better than in any ABA season, despite staying away from 3-pt shooting for multiple years.

CavaliersFTW
11-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Some of the set shot artists I've seen footage of were in deep 'modern 3 point range' we should look into them. Elgin consistently was hitting long 2's

Psileas
11-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Some of the set shot artists I've seen footage of were in deep 'modern 3 point range' we should look into them. Elgin consistently was hitting long 2's

Hence my Schayes reference. I was being conservative, because in some of his few shooting clips when the footage is shown almost from ground level, it seems a bit hard to estimate the distance.

fpliii
11-11-2013, 06:48 PM
CavsFTW and Psileas -

1) Should Sharman be in long 2, or 3pt range?

2) I put Nate in long 2, should I leave him there?

Psileas
11-11-2013, 06:49 PM
CavsFTW and Psileas -

1) Should Sharman be in long 2, or 3pt range?

2) I put Nate in long 2, should I leave him there?

Nate Archibald? Long 2, imo. Not so sure about Sharman.

fpliii
11-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Nate Archibald? Long 2, imo. Not so sure about Sharman.

Thurmond, already have Tiny in the first group.

Psileas
11-11-2013, 06:54 PM
Thurmond as a 3-point shooter is too much.
I'm not even that sure he was that good a mid-range shooter, either. Was he really shooting his mid range shots at a better clip than, say, a young Wilt was shooting his long 2 bank shots from the corners?

fpliii
11-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Thurmond as a 3-point shooter is too much.
I'm not even that sure he was that good a mid-range shooter, either. Was he really shooting his mid range shots at a better clip than, say, a young Wilt was shooting his long 2 bank shots from the corners?

Good point. Should we put young Wilt in as well, or remove both?

Psileas
11-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Another big long range 2-pt shooter may be Dave Cowens - offensively he was giving trouble to centers who didn't want to leave the paint much.

Psileas
11-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Good point. Should we put young Wilt in as well, or remove both?

I'd add him with a question mark.

fpliii
11-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Another big long range 2-pt shooter may be Dave Cowens - offensively he was giving trouble to centers who didn't want to leave the paint much.

Same thing I've heard about Reed.

kshutts1
11-11-2013, 07:09 PM
What about Chet Walker and Bob Love? I know they were both scoring forwards, and looking solely at their 2p and FT percentages, I'm drawing the conclusion that they could shoot. Anyone have any actual input on them?

Psileas
11-11-2013, 07:11 PM
Same thing I've heard about Reed.

Agreed - for some reason, most left handers with similar ranges seem to also shoot in similar ways (probably in illusion), and Reed would punish you from mid-range.

kNicKz
11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Pistol Pete is the GOAT deep 2 shooter

Round Mound
11-11-2013, 11:17 PM
McAdoo for the long 2.

:applause:

La Frescobaldi
11-11-2013, 11:44 PM
Jon McGocklin & the Big O were both $$$ from the corner on the old title Bucks

fpliii
11-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Jon McGocklin & the Big O were both $$$ from the corner on the old title Bucks

Thanks. Both for long 2s, right?

Is there anyone missing in the OP?

La Frescobaldi
11-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks. Both for long 2s, right?

Is there anyone missing in the OP?

they were long 2s because there was no 3 line, if that's what you mean. A shot from the corner is a 3 pointer today.

Is Dave DeBusschere on there? Walt Frazier? Bill Bradley? The entire Knicks starting 5 could shoot from anywhere, including Willis Reed. Lou Hudson. Jim McMillian, Norm Van Lier. Chet Walker was a driving slashing forward but he had a sweet mid range game.
Although he stayed low most of the time, Elvin Hayes was good to 20 feet. Julius Erving wasn't a 3 point shooter but he was also great to 20 feet. David Thompson could shoot, but Dan Issel could shoot literally anywhere on the court out to 18 feet. Any all-time thread that talks about unstoppable scorers is a joke if Dan Issel is not on the list.
Pistol Pete on that list? Dude could shoot pretty good.

edit did you ever hear of Ernie DiGregorio ? Ernie D!!! One of the most incredible, Pistol type players I've ever seen but got injured real fast played on the Braves with McAdoo

fpliii
11-12-2013, 11:32 PM
they were long 2s because there was no 3 line, if that's what you mean. A shot from the corner is a 3 pointer today.

Is Dave DeBusschere on there? Walt Frazier? Bill Bradley? The entire Knicks starting 5 could shoot from anywhere, including Willis Reed. Lou Hudson. Jim McMillian, Norm Van Lier. Chet Walker was a driving slashing forward but he had a sweet mid range game.
Although he stayed low most of the time, Elvin Hayes was good to 20 feet. Julius Erving wasn't a 3 point shooter but he was also great to 20 feet. David Thompson could shoot, but Dan Issel could shoot literally anywhere on the court out to 18 feet. Any all-time thread that talks about unstoppable scorers is a joke if Dan Issel is not on the list.
Pistol Pete on that list? Dude could shoot pretty good.

edit did you ever hear of Ernie DiGregorio ? Ernie D!!! One of the most incredible, Pistol type players I've ever seen but got injured real fast played on the Braves with McAdoo

Thanks!

Champ
11-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Note: You guys can also mention players from the first few years after the 3 was introduced, prior to its becoming a weapon.

Terry Duerod

And maybe Andrew Toney.

WillC
11-13-2013, 05:52 PM
One of the first pre-NBA players to shoot from the equivalent of 3-point range was Bobby McDermott. He was an absolute legend from long range.

The first great shooter in the BAA/NBA was Joe Fulks. He was one of the pioneers of the jump shot and used it to great effect, leading the league in scoring and winning the first ever championship. I've seen footage of him hitting the 20-footer with relative ease.

George Yardley was a good early shooter. Probably best suited to long two pointers.

Dolph Schayes had three-point range.

Bill Sharman was phenomenal. He could surely hit the three in today's game.

Sam Jones had long two point range.

Louie Dampier was arguably the best 3-point shooter in the ABA.

CavaliersFTW
11-13-2013, 06:06 PM
One of the first pre-NBA players to shoot from the equivalent of 3-point range was Bobby McDermott. He was an absolute legend from long range.

The first great shooter in the BAA/NBA was Joe Fulks. He was one of the pioneers of the jump shot and used it to great effect, leading the league in scoring and winning the first ever championship. I've seen footage of him hitting the 20-footer with relative ease.

George Yardley was a good early shooter. Probably best suited to long two pointers.

I have footage of Sharman sinking a 60+ foot buzzer beater during an ASG, not that that was his typical range lol but he was a shooter for sure

fpliii
11-22-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks! Just updated the OP.

fpliii
12-20-2013, 04:37 PM
bump