PDA

View Full Version : "Paper or plastic"..."I don't need any bag. Thanks"

K
11-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Working at a grocery store and packing bags isn't exactly a thankful job. I usually don't get bags but it often feels like by doing that you're destroying the grocery store bag packers self esteem. "Paper or plastic" Answer: "No, thanks. I don't need any." Not only do they pack bags at a grocery store, now they feel completely worthless by not even being asked to do that. So, although I'm usually very environmentally conscious, I've more often asked for bags again so that I don't get that dejected doggie guilty face from them that doesn't leave my mind for a few minutes.

AintNoSunshine
11-11-2013, 10:04 PM
:oldlol: Next time tell them they're not needed and ask them to get a real job

outbreak
11-11-2013, 10:05 PM
In America is someone employed purely to put the groceries in a bag? Here the checkout staff scan your item then put it into a bag, then repeat for the rest of the items.

bagelred
11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
In America is someone employed purely to put the groceries in a bag?

Sometimes, but usually not. It's the same as in....whereever you are from.

flipogb
11-12-2013, 02:47 AM
every gas station should get rid of self serve, that will give jobs to someone.

Dresta
11-12-2013, 02:51 AM
In America is someone employed purely to put the groceries in a bag? Here the checkout staff scan your item then put it into a bag, then repeat for the rest of the items.
In the UK you just scan it and you have to pack your own shit.

Prefer it in the US where they have a bag-packer: the lines move much quicker and you can get out of the supermarket faster. And you don't have to bother packing. It is a good service; but services are generally 10x better in US than UK.

I<3NBA
11-12-2013, 05:02 AM
in a busy supermarket, bag packers make the lines move faster. ofc it there was only a couple of items bought and can easily be carried, customers would usually not want to wait for it to be packed anymore.

tmacattack33
11-12-2013, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=K

Swaggin916
11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't worry about it dude. Either that bagger is just chillin at that job and doesn't care, is in the process of trying to get a job that actually makes a difference (not feeling worth from bagging groceries) or is just emotionally fragile. Regardless, not your problem. It's not disrespectful so do you. I always tell em not to bag my stuff if I can carry it... but sometimes they bag that shit up when I'm paying. I should ask them to take it out so they become conscious of people who don't want it bagged and make sure to ask, but it's a lesson I really don't feel like I need to teach.

outbreak
11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
In the UK you just scan it and you have to pack your own shit.

Prefer it in the US where they have a bag-packer: the lines move much quicker and you can get out of the supermarket faster. And you don't have to bother packing. It is a good service; but services are generally 10x better in US than UK.

Yeah we have a self serve area as well as some registers that are manned, I've never seen someone purely putting things in bags though.
We have 2 major super market chains and one them has a self server system that is really quick and the other is full of fail, nearly every time my girlfriend or i use it we have to get assistance because it cracks it and tells us we have wrong items in the bagging area or some of the products we're trying to buy aren't in the system and the staff need to enter it manually which they struggle to do being 14 year olds who don't really care.

bdreason
11-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Grocery stores aren't allowed to use plastic bags where I live anymore. You either bring your own bags, or pay 30 cents each for paper bags.

9erempiree
11-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Bag packers make grocery stores run more efficiently. Without them, there would be long ass lines and it turns away business.

I hate going to markets that you have to pack yourself because you are there longer than you should be. I don't mind packing my own stuff it's just that other people are so damn slow in packing their stuff.