PDA

View Full Version : Utah Jazz are positioned for greatness if they play their cards right.

Carbine
11-12-2013, 03:33 PM
It seems likely they will get either Wiggins or Randle in the draft.

They have very good young talent as it stands right now, with the front court of Kantar and Favors, Burke at the point and resigning Gordon.

They also have their cap in great shape. Only 43-44 million in guaranteed contracts for next year (this is including an 11ish million dollar contract I would assume they give to Gordon and the money they have to pay Wiggins or Randle)

So they can go out and be aggressive to find another quality player to add in free agency.

Well done, Utah.

bagelred
11-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Today's NBA fan. Team gets complimented for being worst team in league. Well done, NBA fan. Well done.

DuMa
11-12-2013, 04:05 PM
no team is headed for greatness with Ty Corbin coaching them

Haymaker
11-12-2013, 04:22 PM
They have a great shot at the #1 pick, that's why they're not in a hurry to re-sign Hayward. Tyrone Corbin could get the kick eventually. Sloan is working as consultant for Utah and we can't rule out his return to coaching.

Xiao Yao You
11-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Or whomever the best guy is when they pick.

They have very good young talent as it stands right now, with the front court of Kantar and Favors, Burke at the point and resigning Gordon.

Burke hasn't shown anything yet. Favors has yet to show he's worth the money they gave him. Kanter still has a ways to go though I expect him to continue to progress. You forgot Burks, Gobert and Neto though.

They also have their cap in great shape. Only 43-44 million in guaranteed contracts for next year (this is including an 11ish million dollar contract I would assume they give to Gordon and the money they have to pay Wiggins or Randle)

G may be getting a max deal. He may be gone or overpaid.

So they can go out and be aggressive to find another quality player to add in free agency.

Well done, Utah.

They can't really if they sign G because Kanter will need to be paid and possibly Burks too.

Yeah he'd be the first one I'd blame for their winless start. :biggums:

They have a great shot at the #1 pick, that's why they're not in a hurry to re-sign Hayward.

I'm guessing if they thought he was worth the money he wanted they would have gave it to him. They might already be regretting it the way he is playing now.

Sloan is working as consultant for Utah and we can't rule out his return to coaching.

God forbid!

rezznor
11-12-2013, 04:47 PM
and then they will lose wiggins or randle after their rookie contract is up and they begin to enter their prime because it's utah....

RoTM
11-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Kanter is the only one of the Favors, Hayward trio I believe in.

magnax1
11-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah he'd be the first one I'd blame for their winless start. :biggums:

Corbins coaching is pathetic. Please dont defend him.

And this team is headed for greatness? Just about as much greatness as the Bobcats were last year.

Eric Cartman
11-12-2013, 05:00 PM

This. Also hayward is decent but not worth the money he's going to get.

Xiao Yao You
11-12-2013, 05:31 PM

But Hayward is the only one now that is doing it.

Corbins coaching is pathetic. Please dont defend him.

First he had to replace Jerry without Dwill while being stuck with Big Al as his centerpiece. Now he is going at it without an NBA rotation caliber pg, some young prospects, some old has beens, some never have beens and other scrubs. Not sure he's ever had much of a chance and he still got them a playoff berth and almost two. Not sure what is expected? Who knows what he might have done taking over a team with Stockton and Malone already in tow?

And this team is headed for greatness? Just about as much greatness as the Bobcats were last year.

Greatness these days is all about tanking so yes very Bobcatesque!

Xiao Yao You
11-12-2013, 05:32 PM
This. Also hayward is decent but not worth the money he's going to get.

Remains to be seen.

Darius
11-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Greatness?

They have 4 players that are worthwhile on the entire team and none of the 4 project to be more than solid starters.

What's more, they are/will be paying big money to get those 4 solid players to stay in Utah.

scm5
11-12-2013, 05:50 PM
If the Kings get Randle or Wiggins... oh my.

UtahJazzFan88
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Headed for greatness might be a bit of a stretch, but I do agree with his point.

Honestly it doesn't bother me one bit that the Jazz are 0-8 right now. Kanter, Favors, Burks are struggling to be the guys every night, and they are struggling with consistency, struggling to play 35 minutes a night as opposed to coming off the bench for 15-25 minutes a night. If they are still playing this way and struggling at the end of the year, then yeah I agree there's going to be some issues to figure out.

Hayward is playing pretty damn good right now (20 PPG on 46% shooting, 6 RPG, 4 APG), Favors & Kanter still have to show what they've got, but there's 74 more games and I think we'll start to improve.

This roster is an absolute joke right now outside of Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks, Burke, and a couple other role players. We have JOHN LUCAS as our PG right now.

ralph_i_el
11-12-2013, 06:19 PM
utah needs jabrari parker.

Kanter+Favors+Parker+Ghay+Burke

kurple
11-12-2013, 06:23 PM

They have very good young talent as it stands right now,

stopped reading there

it's gonna take a lot more than wiggins to save that team. it's REALLY shit at the moment.

I know their PG's suck, but Burks-Hayward-Favor-Kanter should prefor metter

andremiller07
11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
If the Kings get Randle or Wiggins... oh my.
It would make more sense if they did with them expanding into India and making the NBA lots of money by helping grow the game around the world. PLus we got the longest non playoff streak going they should just rig it for us tbh.

Xiao Yao You
11-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Greatness?

They have 4 players that are worthwhile on the entire team and none of the 4 project to be more than solid starters.

What's more, they are/will be paying big money to get those 4 solid players to stay in Utah.

Remains to be seen. They didn't overpay for Hayward yet. Favors shows signs of living up to his deal eventually. They have more than 4 too.

This roster is an absolute joke right now outside of Favors, Kanter, Hayward, Burks, Burke, and a couple other role players.

Burke is a joke until he proves otherwise.

CelticBaller
11-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Get Parker

Xiao Yao You
11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
Stop the presses. Help on the Way!

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865590427/Utah-Jazz-Jamaal-Tinsley-cut-D-League-point-guard-Diante-Garrett-to-be-signed.html

Too bad to see Jamal take the fall for the teams pathetic play. He was a bad fit for this team though. I thought Hudson made more sense. Need someone to shoot and play D while G and Burks initiate the offense. Might as well get a younger guy in their though.

el gringos
11-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Burke is a backup pg on a good team. So they are at minimum a scorer and a gaurd away. And oh yeah a big as well (favors isn't that good)

El Kabong
11-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Also add in a hell of a lot of luck and you'll be there. At the very least they seem to have a plan, which is more than you can say for some teams.

OldSkoolball#52
11-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Any executice who attenpts to sign hayward to the max should not only be fired, but shoukd be sued for negligence of duty.

Xiao Yao You
11-13-2013, 01:49 AM
Burke is a backup pg on a good team. So they are at minimum a scorer and a gaurd away. And oh yeah a big as well (favors isn't that good)

Hopefully he's at least a back-up. Hasn't shown that yet. The problem is they don't have a back-up caliber guy now at the 1.

mrpibb
11-13-2013, 04:21 AM
I just want to hear this from you detractors: What has Corbin done wrong this year?

statman32
11-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Also add in a hell of a lot of luck and you'll be there. At the very least they seem to have a plan, which is more than you can say for some teams.
They don't need luck. They just need to get a top 4 pick to get a nice wing.

This team is set up perfectly for this years draft. All they really need is some depth and a nice wing. They have very good pieces at 4 of 5 starting positions. If they can add some depth with the Warriors pick, and a couple quality signings, they could easily be playoff contenders.

Patrick Chewing
11-13-2013, 04:50 AM
utah needs jabrari parker.

Kanter+Favors+Parker+Ghay+Burke

Parker is the smartest pick for Utah

rustycage
11-13-2013, 05:30 AM
Let's wait for another of Pop's assistants...
:sleeping

Xiao Yao You
11-13-2013, 08:29 AM
I just want to hear this from you detractors: What has Corbin done wrong this year?

Apparently he's supposed to be winning games while basically playing 4 on 5 at the offensive end.

They just need to get a top 4 pick to get a nice wing.

This team is set up perfectly for this years draft. All they really need is some depth and a nice wing. They have very good pieces at 4 of 5 starting positions. If they can add some depth with the Warriors pick, and a couple quality signings, they could easily be playoff contenders.

They need the best player rather it's a wing or not. They have one very good piece in Hayward but he could be gone this summer. The jury is still out on the rest of them.

statman32
11-13-2013, 01:07 PM
They need the best player rather it's a wing or not. They have one very good piece in Hayward but he could be gone this summer. The jury is still out on the rest of them.
The best player will be a wing. If you don't think Burke, Favors, and Kanter are good pieces, I don't know what to tell you. These other young teams would kill to have those guys.

greymatter
11-13-2013, 01:24 PM
If I were Wiggin and looking to join a young talented core with the most potential upside, I'd go with Orlando.

Callystarr
11-13-2013, 01:45 PM

exactly, he must go!

el gringos
11-13-2013, 02:40 PM
The best player will be a wing. If you don't think Burke, Favors, and Kanter are good pieces, I don't know what to tell you. These other young teams would kill to have those guys.
Well he has the huge disadvantage of watching them every game and being realistic.

statman32
11-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Well he has the huge disadvantage of watching them every game and being realistic.
Weird, guess I also haven't been watching them. Let's downgrade the young guys for struggling to play with Lucas and Tinsley. I guess Burke isn't "good" because he fractured his finger.

A point guard is very important in the NBA today. Having FA starting point guards is going to be brutal for any team, especially a young one.

Eric Cartman
11-13-2013, 03:56 PM
If I were Wiggin and looking to join a young talented core with the most potential upside, I'd go with Orlando.

like he has a say in where he goes :facepalm

greymatter
11-13-2013, 03:59 PM
like he has a say in where he goes :facepalm

No shit Sherlock.

But you never know. He could pull a Kobe and bitch about not wanting to be drafted by a specific franchise while letting them know he's definitely gone after 3 years. SLC isn't all that impressive a city and once you get out of its city limits, you're in 90% Mormonville.

Eric Cartman
11-13-2013, 04:02 PM
No shit Sherlock.

But you never know. He could pull a Kobe and bitch about not wanting to be drafted by a specific franchise while letting them know he's definitely gone after 3 years. SLC isn't all that impressive a city and once you get out of its city limits, you're in 90% Mormonville.

you are right

it's not like all time great hall of famers have played there or nothing...

greymatter
11-13-2013, 04:08 PM
you are right

Malone is a country boy who loves the great outdoors. Stockton is a homebody "family values" type of Christian who was never into fancy nightlife or typical big city comforts. They were very atypical.

Rodman wasn't the only guy to ever say, "you go fcuking play in Utah".

Eric Cartman
11-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Malone is a country boy who loves the great outdoors. Stockton is a homebody "family values" type of Christian who was never into fancy nightlife or typical big city comforts. They were very atypical.

Rodman wasn't the only guy to ever say, "you go fcuking play in Utah".

Wiggins and Parker are down to Earth and Wiggins especially has admitted that he does not particularly enjoy the spotlight.

So Utah seems like a perfect fit.

Xiao Yao You
11-13-2013, 05:38 PM

Remains to be seen rather they will be good pieces. They have a lot to prove yet especially Burke who no one other than the Jazz killed to get as he dropped down the draft list. Already people that think the best player won't be a wing. Jazz could draft 4th even with the worst record.

I guess Burke isn't "good" because he fractured his finger.

To me he's not good until he actually shows something which he hasn't other than in a watered down NCAA.

A point guard is very important in the NBA today. Having FA starting point guards is going to be brutal for any team, especially a young one.
It is. They might have to take Smart for that very reason.

SLC isn't all that impressive a city

Depends on what you are looking for. If you want a big city it's probably not for you. You want a small beautiful city surrounded by mountains it might be.

FireDavidKahn
11-13-2013, 06:07 PM
If you're the Jazz, you have to take the mormon.

Callystarr
11-13-2013, 08:55 PM
you are right

:roll:

Callystarr
11-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Wiggins and Parker are down to Earth and Wiggins especially has admitted that he does not particularly enjoy the spotlight.

So Utah seems like a perfect fit.

Utah hasn't made it to the playoffs 25 out of the last 30 years by drafting and playing nothing but scrubs :facepalm

Of course everyone wants to play in LA, Miami, Chicago, New York...but guess what there are 25+ other teams out there and they are making it..

Salt Lake City isn't any worse than Oklahoma City...at least you don't have to go outside playing with Tornadoes...

Been to Memphis? :no:

They live on a plane and in hotels half the year anyway...its not that serious!

joshwake
11-13-2013, 09:46 PM
If you're the Jazz, you have to take the mormon.
I wonder how many people here even know Parker is mormon.

and after living in Phoenix for a year I am counting the days till I can get back to Utah. SLC is one of the most misunderstood and underrated cities in the US. There is plenty of nightlife if that's your thing and an absolute dream if you ever actually get off your ass and go outside.

Xiao Yao You
11-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Utah hasn't made it to the playoffs 25 out of the last 30 years by drafting and playing nothing but scrubs :facepalm

Of course everyone wants to play in LA, Miami, Chicago, New York...but guess what there are 25+ other teams out there and they are making it..

Salt Lake City isn't any worse than Oklahoma City...at least you don't have to go outside playing with Tornadoes...

Been to Memphis? :no:

They live on a plane and in hotels half the year anyway...its not that serious!

Better than OKC or anywhere in the middle of the country. Need mountains and or ocean at the very least.

Xiao Yao You
11-14-2013, 12:24 AM
1-8! :party:

Xiao Yao You
01-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Looks as if the other folder I started to talk about the Jazz prospects has been deleted for some reason?

[QUOTE]Remember when that 2014 draft was so great? Last month? It